PDA

View Full Version : Do I actually NEED any Nas album other than Illmatic?

Hocmat
09-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I hear "It was written" and "Stillmatic" were good, but not anywhere near the groundbreaking/ revolutionary/legendary/timeless Illmatic.

J-DON
09-24-2010, 06:54 PM
It Was Written, Stillmatic, and The Lost Tapes. Honestly, when it comes to whole albums in entirety that's it but every Nas album has a few strokes of genius.

Hocmat
09-24-2010, 07:08 PM
It Was Written, Stillmatic, and The Lost Tapes. Honestly, when it comes to whole albums in entirety that's it but every Nas album has a few strokes of genius.

Thank you for the input

ALCATRAZ
09-24-2010, 07:37 PM
it was written > reasonable doubt

Prolifical ENG
09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
It depends how many hip-hop albums are in your collection. If you only have 20 then just Illmatic. If you have a few hundred then at least half of his discography. Work with proportions. Its up to you if you want to build your collection with the other albums but for that to happen you need to be a big Nas fan.

Frank Sobotka
09-24-2010, 07:53 PM
It depends how many hip-hop albums are in your collection. If you only have 20 then just Illmatic. If you have a few hundred then at least half of his discography. Work with proportions. Its up to you if you want to build your collection with the other albums but for that to happen you need to be a big Nas fan.This sounds really reasonable.

Hocmat
09-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I own a couple hundred hip hop albums, I'll be sure to invest in a couple of his better albums

JASPER BEARDLY
09-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I think if you see any for a good price it's worth it. God's Son, Hip Hop is Dead and Untitled were all good albums. I haven't listened to Street's Disciple in full so I can't give input.

Mr. R&B
09-24-2010, 08:10 PM
The albums J-Don posted are a good place to start as far as continuing your NaS collection.

After those three go with: I Am, God's Son & Hip-Hop Is Dead.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-24-2010, 09:07 PM
TBH, you should get all of Nas's albums except I Am and Nastradamus. Even I Am... has one of Nas's best songs 'Nas is Like'. This is one of the greatest we are talking about.

Prolifical ENG
09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
TBH, you should get all of Nas's albums except I Am and Nastradamus. Even I Am... has one of Nas's best songs 'Nas is Like'. This is one of the greatest we are talking about.

Thats pretty much what I have....all but I Am and Nastradamus.

Out of the last 3 I like Streets Disciple (disc 2) the best.

oDoUoSoKo
09-24-2010, 10:33 PM
it was written > reasonable doubt
c/s

oDoUoSoKo
09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
also, u dont NEED any albums..fuck what people tell u, but i do recommend u hear all his shit

MaskedAvenger
09-25-2010, 02:59 AM
I own over 4000 albums and I haven't purchased a Nas album since Nastradamus and that was the last straw for me. Stillmatic was actually the last Nas album I have listened to in its entirety.

hide1998
09-25-2010, 03:35 AM
You should get the that album he did with Damian Marley. Sure it's a collab album, but musically/lyrically/conceptually it's a must-own regardless of what the "Nas only has one good album" Lemmings tell you.

But, as someone else stated, working in proportions is your best bet. I addition to getting Lost Tapes, It Was Written, and Stillmatic, I would also throw in Untitled as an excellent album to get from Nas after Illmatic.

oldie
09-25-2010, 04:02 AM
I bought all his albums just cos I like to have an artists discography and I'd say buy some Nas mixtapes instead, especially The Hidden Crate (hard to get hold of I think)
Don't buy Streets Disciple (2 disc album) cos it's wack as fuck IMO 2 maybe 3 good tracks, both Hop-Hop is Dead & Untitled were straight up average IMO
Illiquid & I Am are my fav Nas albums

THE MASON
09-25-2010, 09:51 AM
I bought all his albums just cos I like to have an artists discography

co sign, but i am also a fan of Nas. the only studio album i dony own is Untitled, still dont know about getting that one. heard some good and bad things.

the must haves though for Nas other then Illmatic are: It Was Written, Stillmatic, Lost Tapes, and Distant Relatives (one of the best albums of 2010). everything else up and down imo, a lot of bangers with a lot of duds

UncontrolledSubstans
09-25-2010, 09:57 AM
The best tracks on It Was Written is on the same level as Illmatic, and in some cases better.

JakobR
09-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I've enjoyed Hip hop is dead, I am and God's son too. His discography is very underrated if you ask me since it always seems to get some undeserved stick.

hide1998
09-25-2010, 10:05 AM
I guess Untitled went over the heads of some people. That's definitely one of Nas' best albums. Very focused album that had a lot to say. Lyrically, obviously Nas killed it. But, conceptually, is where I think that album shines the most. Production was really good too. I guess I don't know what's not to like about that album if you're trying to see some of Nas' best work.

hide1998
09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I've enjoyed Hip hop is dead, I am and God's son too. His discography is very underrated if you ask me since it always seems to get some undeserved stick.

Agreed. Nas, unfortunately, gets put into the same category as Snoop. By that I mean, they've both released monumental albums with their first releases that, if ANYTHING doesn't measure up to their debuts immediately the "Meh, he fell off. Can't feel anything he put out since his debut," folks exaggerate things. Nas' worst album, Nastradamus, is better than a good majority of MCs albums (and in that case, it wasn't released in the form is was intended. Ditto to I am...).

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
The best tracks on It Was Written is on the same level as Illmatic, and in some cases better.

For real, I Gave You Power, Take it in Blood and The Message are some of his best songs and how can i forget Affirmitve Action.

hl (Lattisaw Tapes)
09-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Nas has arguably the greatest discography ever. Even the unreleased stuff is genius. I don't respect anyone's opinion on rap music that believes Illmatic is Nas' only good album.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorrrry, i don't wanna make a seperate thread for this but...

Street's disciple, I rock beats that's mega trifle
And groovy but smoother than moves by Villanova

Who's Villanova?

MaskedAvenger
09-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Nas has arguably the greatest discography ever. Even the unreleased stuff is genius. I don't respect anyone's opinion on rap music that believes Illmatic is Nas' only good album.

No chance.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-26-2010, 02:53 AM
No chance.

no chance, as to Nas's discography being the best or no chance of anyone ever touching his discog?

sickdog
09-26-2010, 04:29 AM
nas vs marley, gods son, stillmatic, street disciples, hip-hop is dead, lost tapes, i listen to those albums more then illmatic, witch is great, but dont have big replay value for me, it gets boring after one spin, its great, but albums i listed above is more interesting to me.

sickdog
09-26-2010, 04:30 AM
so actually i dont need illmatic but need rest albums.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-26-2010, 06:01 AM
no we're saying Buy Illmatic AND his other albums.

Sinistarr
09-27-2010, 05:00 AM
I've got all Nas albums except The Firm... Can say I've enjoyed every single album, even Nastradamus and I Am

sickdog
09-27-2010, 07:00 AM
i am is a good album.

CharlesJones
10-02-2010, 11:45 AM
LOL@Iam is a good album hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah right. That album sucks except for NY State Of Mind part 2, Nas Is Like, Pray(Nas doesn't rap on this for some reason but Bravehearts rap on it.). To the threadstarter, Illmatic is the only album of his you need because his other albums suck. What a shame too because Nas is one of my favorite rappers but most of his beats suck and most of his songs on his other albums are boring. I don't understand how he can make hard ass songs like Made You Look, Live Nigga Rap with Mobb Deep, I Gave You Power, Nas Is Like, NY State Of Mind part 2, Thief's Theme, Ether, One Mic, 2nd Childhood and his albums suck. If he had good beats on most of his songs, his albums wouldn't suck. I hope he's gonna do that album with DJ Premier doing all his beats like he talked about but i bet it isn't gonna happen. He's just talking to get his fans excited LOL.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Get the song Deja Vu too.

TAURO
10-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Illmatic
It was written
Lost tapes
Stillmatic
God's Son

Are the only albums that matter to me. I AM is worth picking up if you can find it cheap just for a couple of very dope tracks that are on it.

sickdog
10-02-2010, 02:42 PM
LOL@Iam is a good album hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yeah right. That album sucks except for NY State Of Mind part 2, Nas Is Like, Pray(Nas doesn't rap on this for some reason but Bravehearts rap on it.). To the threadstarter, Illmatic is the only album of his you need because his other albums suck. What a shame too because Nas is one of my favorite rappers but most of his beats suck and most of his songs on his other albums are boring. I don't understand how he can make hard ass songs like Made You Look, Live Nigga Rap with Mobb Deep, I Gave You Power, Nas Is Like, NY State Of Mind part 2, Thief's Theme, Ether, One Mic, 2nd Childhood and his albums suck. If he had good beats on most of his songs, his albums wouldn't suck. I hope he's gonna do that album with DJ Premier doing all his beats like he talked about but i bet it isn't gonna happen. He's just talking to get his fans excited LOL.

dumbass.