PDA

View Full Version : Which rapper/group has the best discography?

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Well to me its Nas or GFK. They have been putting out hot shit since the mid 90's and haven't stopped. Sure Nas has had two road blocks with his 3/4 albums but ever since then, everything he put out has been good.

Your?

djskillz
09-26-2010, 06:05 AM
CunninLynguists
UGK
OutKast

Frank Sobotka
09-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Dre Wins easily.

claaa7
09-26-2010, 07:45 AM
^ with 2.5 albums?

The Roots, Outkast, Gang Starr has pretty flawless discographies and KRS-One/BDP has dropped more dope albums than anyone else i can think off altho he dropped some weaker ones as well but still.

Frank Sobotka
09-26-2010, 08:40 AM
^ with 2.5 albums?

The Roots, Outkast, Gang Starr has pretty flawless discographies and KRS-One/BDP has dropped more dope albums than anyone else i can think off altho he dropped some weaker ones as well but still.
Exactly, he has no weak albums out which these 10 album artists can't say.

angry!
09-26-2010, 09:12 AM
^ with 2.5 albums?

homie...

DRE one of the illest discos ever without even mentioning his solo albums!!!!!!!!

straight outta compton
niggaz4life
no one can do it better
doggystyle

production is his element and he gave us those albums PLUS some!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when it comes to discos...

redman...illest 3 album run ever from debut to MUDDY WATERS + classic with mef...

ice cube... first 4 albums are all classics IMO.. lethal injection is a everything a classic album should be IMO, plus he got the classic WSC debut...

KRS ONE... he drops like 2 albums a year and he only has 2 albums id consider all an out wack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nas.... just consistently droppin next level, creative... bodies of work!!!!!!! dropped one wack album and it almost killed him, thats how ill nas is...

AZ... up until the format, this nigga was droppin BANGER after BANGER!!!!!!!! undeniable started the skid... but before that... everything was HEAT!!!!! doe or die, pieces of a man, 9 lives, aziatic, awol, the format... INCREDIBLE output!!!!!!!

cormega... 3 official albums, id consider 2 classics... born and raised was incredible, had the illmatic sound and niggas didnt even care... SMH!!!!!!!!!!

ghost... so much variety in his catalog....

eric b and rakim... ALL CLASSICS... plus ra got 2 bangin solo albums...

CYPRESS HILL... first 4 cypress hill albums are ridiculous... till death do us part is criminally underrated... i still gotta do a thread on that!!!!!!!!!! not many groups can find the longevity/consitency to drop 4 bangers..

PRODIGY... 3 classic mobb albums... classic solo album... plus return of the mac (which i consider to be a CLASSIC album), HNIC 2, product of the 80s...

50 cent... yall gonna be like... huh?!?!?!?! power of the dollar, get rich, beg for mercy... and maybe the illest mixtape catalog ever... nobody dropped more free material than 50 cent, and almost all of it bangs... niggas forget, when it comes to manufacturing your own buzz 50 has laid down a blueprint a cpl of times... go download guess whos back, no mercy no fear, gods plan, return of the body snatchers, elephant in the sand, war angel, if yall think im crazy... banging street material over a long stretch...

jay-z... he got wack albums, yeah... but hes dropped a ton of classic material... reasonable doubt, blueprint, black album... jigga started gettin the POP star treatment when the vol. series hit, but each of those albums is dope in their own right... plus the dynasty, american gangster, incredible catalog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cosign roots, outkast, gangstarr... gangstarr catalog is bulletproof, everything under the label GANGSTARR is classic material!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a smaller scale... heltah skeltahs 3 albums are all dope/different from eachother... classic debut, magnum force is incredible, those niggas fuckin bodied that shit so hard... its like they just swung on any beat the machine spit out at em, they didnt care about a theme/cohesive sound... underrated album... plus DIRT which gave us maxed out SEAN PRICE... they dont belong in this thread but i got magnum forcce goin right now. yaaaooo!!!!!!!

Krimewave
09-26-2010, 09:23 AM
GangStarr

UncontrolledSubstans
09-26-2010, 10:40 AM
The Roots.

10/10

Illadelph Halflife
Things Fall Apart
How I Got Over
The Tipping Point

9/10

Game Theory
Rising Down
Do You Want More?!!!??!

8/10

Organix!
Phrenology

LiquidSwords32
09-26-2010, 10:56 AM
this is such a broad question

fatboybrandon
09-26-2010, 11:31 AM
this is such a broad question

Agreed. There is no definite "best" answer because people hear and accept music differently. It's the type of discussion I may or may not engage in real life because it could go on forever depending on the outlook of Hip Hop the other person has.

Even though the idea of "best" is objective, there can be some definitions used to think about to help narrow the discussion. With their catalog, who had the:

-Most classics
-Most influential power of music and culture, did they add on and turn Hip Hop in a new direction?
-Truest representation of Hip Hop according to history and tradition
-Best amount of music output to amount of classics ratio. What is the balance between how many classics they made in comparison to the amount of music they released?

I agree on Dr. Dre (hhttp://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/02/video-journey-of-dr-dre-retrospective.html)'s catalog, if anyone is to be considered for one of the best all time it's him. I know he's released only a few solo albums, but when you add his production credits and NWA, it equals out to a dynasty like none other.

KillahBee09
09-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Solo: Masta Ace, MF DOOM, Scarface, Ghostface
Group/duo: Outkast, Gangstarr, De La Soul, Kool G Rap & DJ Polo

Tommy
09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Can't believe I'm the first to mention Tribe here. What's up with that?! Beastie Boys as well, each of their albums are brilliant.

Talib Kweli's never dropped anything bad as far as I'm concerned, too. People hate on "Beautiful Struggle" but for what? There's nothing wrong with that album whatsoever. In fact, I'm the only one amongst my friends that doesn't regard it as my favourite. Add in the Black Star album and both Reflection Eternals... flawless.

Cypress' first four are all crazy, as angry! said. Even EPMD never dropped below par, although I've never heard their last album.

De La Soul? Damn right. ALL of their albums are banging and revolutionary; none sound the same whatsoever. This goes for the aforementioned OutKast, Gang Starr, and Roots as well.

It's a shame, but I'm actually not surprised Public Enemy didn't get a mention as nobody ever seems that interested in them, save for a few true heads.

Props for the Redman mention, I cosign to the fullest. Puts out dope album after dope album and rips every guest spot he's on. Jay-Z as well, brilliant discography.

Oh, and another one to add to the mix: DMX. Don't believe the hype when people say he fell off after his first, he didn't.

Peace

sickdog
09-26-2010, 12:03 PM
cypress hill (minus rise up)

Tommy
09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Can't believe I forgot Ludacris. One of the most, if not the most, consistent of the decade.

CEITEDMOFO
09-26-2010, 01:42 PM
PRODIGY OF MOBB DEEP >> DRE

FIRST OF ALL WEsTCOAST RAP SUCKS

SECOND HNIC , HNIC 2 AND THE LAST JOINT PRODUCT OF THE 80S IS A FUCKIN BANGER

MF DOOM ALBUMS IS ALSO THE SHIT

Inspektah Meth-Tical
09-26-2010, 01:51 PM
PRODIGY OF MOBB DEEP >> DRE

SECOND HNIC , HNIC 2 AND THE LAST JOINT PRODUCT OF THE 80S IS A FUCKIN BANGER

MF DOOM ALBUMS IS ALSO THE SHIT

Are you fucking serious?

The Pharcyde released two of the most real albums ever. They release shit that most people could relate to, not the typical gangsta rap. Ice Cube is one of the greatest, NWA was off the chain. Idk where you are but, West Coast has had its fair share of good rappers/

Tommy
09-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Lol

claaa7
09-26-2010, 05:27 PM
can't forget about Brand Nubian, easily one of the best groups of all time imo. "One For All", "In God We Trust", "Everything is Everything" and "Foundation" are in-fucking-credible albums with crazy replay value with each and every one of these releases really reflecting the state of hip-hop at the time but always with a message involved.

MOP is another favorite of mine that never dropped the ball - "To The Death", "Firing Squad", "First Family 4 Life", "Warriorz"... even "Foundation" was slamming.

Djaminha
09-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Jim Jones

Mr. R&B
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
^^ M.O.P.'s albums are always thorough, even their street albums shit on other cats official joints.

ILL BILL, everything from The Future Is Now to Kill Devil Hills has been incredible.

Dude always has sick production accompanying his liquid flow, he exhibits no symptoms of the wackness.

I expect any future projects to be front-to-back bangers!

Necro as well has the craft of making well sequenced, amazingly produced and heavily conceptual albums, Since I Need Drugs each subsequent album shows incredible improvment in one aspect of his style or another.

Whether it be further perfection of his production, beefed up multi shcemes, the cleverness of the concepts, mashing up hardcore Hip-Hop with Metal better than anyone who's attemped it before, or just straight tearing a beat apart from asshole to elbow.

Homeboy is a beast.

And until recently, Tech N9ne, but shit is starting to get iffy.

Mr. R&B
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Atmosphere has a great discog IMO.

Their albums always take a few spins for me to warm up to, but I haven't heard a wack joint yet.

DThayer36
09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm going to say Army Of The Pharaohs: The Torture Papers, Ritual Of Battle, and
The Unholy Terror are all BANGERS

hl (Lattisaw Tapes)
09-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Ghostface

ALCATRAZ
09-26-2010, 08:33 PM
2pac, nas, then everyone else

War and Peace
09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
rapper - KRS-ONE

group - Wu-Tang Clan and affiliates

end of thread lol

copywrite
09-27-2010, 04:11 AM
If you count solos and affiliate albums, it's gotta be Wu-Tang.

In 5 years they put out:
36 Chambers
Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Tical
Ironman
The Pillage
Return to the 36 Chambers
Silent Weapons
Heist of the Century
The Last Shall be First
Heavy Mental