PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts...

blackwisdom
10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
In the 1500s most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Add on folks...

Take it easy
Peace

num2son
10-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info, really.

Do you have more facts like these?

Luther Large
10-12-2005, 06:57 PM
that's fuckin disgusting

why didnt they take more showers? i know they had no running water but they had lakes and shit

stinky hoes fuck that i'd do just fine with my hand if a bitch only took 1 shower a year

deadlymelody
10-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Interesting fact....

Pizza Hut breadsticks are better than crack

Skellington
10-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Damn, didn't knew that....is that fo real man???

tajeco
10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
"kick the bucket" comes from long ago when they woulg hang people and "kick the bucket" out from under the person.

deadlymelody
10-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Damn, didn't knew that....is that fo real man???
Ive had 20 in one sitting. I havent experienced crack so I guess I was using it as a figure of speech. Seriously though, better than crack.

blackwisdom
10-12-2005, 08:38 PM
that's fuckin disgusting

why didnt they take more showers? iThey believed that a layer of dirt and grime protected them from disease.

The look of Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead were inspired by the concentration camps of Germany.

Back to the 1500s

The floors were dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "dirt poor."

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on the floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they kept adding more thresh until when you opened the door it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying, a "thresh hold."

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the dogs, cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying, "It's raining cats and dogs."

Interesting, huh...

Take it easy folks
Peace

MefMan36
10-12-2005, 08:56 PM
^Damn man, you are a smart guy

Bedlam
10-12-2005, 09:20 PM
yo, even in the 1800's the majority of Americans took maybe 1 bath a year. Shit was gross before running water.

There's tons of these facts like this, i just forgot most of them.

Rule of Thumb comes from the rule (back in some place, maybe england) that said you could beat your wife with anything less wide that your thumb.

blackwisdom
10-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I just have some good sources.

I also read that in Kemet they had electrical light bulbs. If you were to examine the walls and ceilings of the tombs and pyramids you wouldn't find a trace of soot. The gold on the walls was to illuminate the rooms by magnifying the sunlight that came in through the shafts during the day, and to serve as an electrical conductor.
http://www.global-conspiracies.com/egyptlight.jpghttp://www.global-conspiracies.com/egyptlight2.jpg
The arch of the covenant was also a mass of electrical energy that would electricute a person that didn't handled it properly.

Take it easy
Peace

Os3y3ris
10-12-2005, 09:54 PM
These don't sound like real facts. Got sources? The rule of thumb thing has been proven false BTW.

Bedlam
10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
^really? How has it been proven false?

Os3y3ris
10-12-2005, 10:24 PM
The first fact is false as well. The following site has one debunking. Snopes has another. The bath thing is incorrect in that they didn't really bath AT ALL apparantly. And sources say that flowers PREDATE the 1500s.

http://www.history-magazine.com/facts.html

Regarding the rule of thumb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thumb

Anyways, before someone says it, "fuck" is NOT an acronym.

blackwisdom
10-12-2005, 10:29 PM
The first fact is false as well. The following site has one debunking. Snopes has another. The bath thing is incorrect in that they didn't really bath AT ALL apparantly. And sources say that flowers PREDATE the 1500s.

http://www.history-magazine.com/facts.html

Regarding the rule of thumb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thumb

Anyways, before someone says it, "fuck" is NOT an acronym.It's funny that the first link is listed in that order.

Take it easy
Peace

Os3y3ris
10-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Here's a real fact. Modern scholars believe that black slavery in the United States was derived from indentured servitude. It should be noted that it did not exist in the colonies for some time. However, blacks did serve as indentured servants, a similar condition. The case that is believed to have set the precedent for racial slavery was one of three servants escaping. A black man, a white man and a white woman. The whites were punished in some manner. i forgot which. The black, on account of his blackness, had his servitude extended indefinitely, essetially making him a slave.

If you want to check that, it was in one of my textbooks. I dont have it with me though and Ive forgotten the name.

Another fact is that in 1927 the poor, black sections of New Orleans were intentionally flooded.

tostones
10-12-2005, 10:48 PM
i know people, including some fam, that still have dirt floors

num2son
10-13-2005, 07:17 AM
^^^WOw

Thanks for the info BlackW.

blackwisdom
10-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's a real fact. Modern scholars believe that black slavery in the United States was derived from indentured servitude. It should be noted that it did not exist in the colonies for some time. However, blacks did serve as indentured servants, a similar condition. The case that is believed to have set the precedent for racial slavery was one of three servants escaping. A black man, a white man and a white woman. The whites were punished in some manner. i forgot which. The black, on account of his blackness, had his servitude extended indefinitely, essetially making him a slave.

If you want to check that, it was in one of my textbooks. I dont have it with me though and Ive forgotten the name.

Another fact is that in 1927 the poor, black sections of New Orleans were intentionally flooded.What textbook?

Take it easy
Peace

Queen Of Poetry
10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Damn....Black droppin some knowledge on everyone.....thx man.

blackwisdom
10-13-2005, 10:41 AM
HARRIET TUBMAN DAY

PUBLIC LAW 101-252 –MAR. 13, 1990 104 STAT. 99
Public Law 101-252
March 13, 1990101ST Congress (S.J. Res. 257)

Joint Resolution

To designate March 10, 1990, as “Harriet Tubman Day”

Whereas Harriet Ross Tubman was born into slavery in Bucktown, Maryland, in or around the year 1820;

Whereas she escaped slavery in 1849 and became a “conductor” on the Underground Railroad;

Whereas she undertook a reported nineteen trips as a conductor, endeavoring despite great hardship and great danger to lead hundreds of slaves to freedom;

Whereas Harriet Tubman became an eloquent and effective speaker on behalf of the movement to abolish slavery;

Whereas she served in the Civil War as a soldier, spy, nurse, scout, and cook, and as a leader in working with newly freed slaves;

Whereas after the War, she continued to fight for human dignity, human rights, opportunity, and justice; and

Whereas Harriet Tubman—whose courageous and dedicated pursuit of the promise of American ideals and common principles of humanity continues to serve and inspire all people who cherish freedom—died at her home in Auburn, New York, on March 10, 1913; Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That March 10, 1990 be designated as “Harriet Tubman Day,” to be observed by the people of the United States with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

Approved March 13, 1990.

LEGISLATIVE HISTORY – S.J. Res. 257
Congressional record, Vol. 136 (1990):
Mar. 6, considered and passed Senate.
Mar. 7, considered and passed House.

I'm taking that day off next year!

Take it easy
Peace

Jabba Jaw
10-13-2005, 10:43 AM
interesting fact-

i will kill you if you sniff my underwear

Os3y3ris
10-13-2005, 11:00 AM
What textbook?

As I said afterwards, I've forgotten the name.

blackwisdom
10-13-2005, 11:32 AM
[/color][/size][/font]

As I said afterwards, I've forgotten the name.I was thinking that it was a book that you can retreive the name of from one of your classes or something. I know that I can find the names of my old textbooks from my old (college) classes that I attended. Just curious, cause I wanted to check it out sometime.

Take it easy
Peace

Potent1
10-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Fact:

The TOOTHBRUSH was invented in West Virginia.... Funny thing is had it been invented anywhere else, it would be called a toothbrush - it'd be called a teethbrush....

HA!

BlaK FuRYaN
10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Jus to add 1500 years back when the British was living in Dark ages they were so disgust they use to tipp there rubbish out there yards....which brought rats and later the plague

Os3y3ris
10-13-2005, 01:36 PM
I'll find the name for you Black. Give me a couple days.

MaShPG
10-13-2005, 02:02 PM
These are mostly rumors, cause like 60% of them look like bullshit, I'll let you decide..

In SWV "Be Right There" Pharell was the person doing background vocals saying "S....W....V"

Mos Def was an actor before he became a rapper starring in "The Cosby Mysteries" which played in 1994.

DJ Paul from 3-6 Mafia has a nubby arm.

Big visited pac in hospital after the 94 shooting

There was a Hip Hop album with the title "The Black Album" which was made by Producer No ID

Master P got the Ice Cream Man concept from the Luniz...as well as Hootie Hoo from Outkast...Each group of course had/have beef with him over this

Havoc learned how to produce from Large Professor

Eric B. intially wanted Freddie Foxxx to appear on "Eric B. Is President" but when Foxxx didnt show up, Rakim was recorded instead.

Havoc, Prodigy, Kwame (and them f____n polka dots), Percee P, Pharoah Monch, and Prince Po all attended Manhattan's High School of Art & Design. Apparently Prodigy took some... "Dance" classes while he was their

Neptunes produced "Use Your Heart" by SWV

Pete Rock had a group called YG's (aka Young Guns).

Nas wrote the lyrics to "Halftime" sitting by his apartment window listening to an instrumental of Tribe's "Buggin' Out" that his neighbor kept playing over and over again (at the time, nas didnt own a stereo and apparently his neighbor was also trying to write rhymes.)

All that rapper The DOC was given by Ruthless records in exchange for his publishing rights and all his records was an expensive watch and a goldchain.

2Pac's first rap name was MC New York

Pharoahe Monch used to be real fat, he also has Asthma

Kool G. Rap was originally on Big Daddy Kane's "Raw" but his vocals were removed for the final cut.

PMD's verse on Rampage was directed at Redman.

Defari is a high school teacher

Juelz Santana has a lazy eye...no kidding

Primo stole his first set of turntables

LL Cool J was in the audience at a Kool Moe Dee show in St. Louis Michigan. Kool Moe Dee challenged LL to battle on stage and LL backed down and left.

jae millz works for an American Eagle store

Havoc had originally intended to rob Prodigy before they met.

The Japanese version of Kris Kross's album "Da Bomb" has an alternate cover instead of the a-bomb blast on the front (for obvious reasons)

Vita's sister with the good looking girl from Total

Nas wrote NY State Of Mind when he was 17

Bizzy Bone was 16 when "Thuggish Ruggish Bone" was released. And was kidnapped when he was child, and not returned to his mother for a year. His picture was shown on a Made for TV movie named "Adam" in 1983 when he was taken.

tom green was in a rap group back in the day called organized rhyme. and won a juno (canada's version of the grammys) for a song called check the o.r.

Suge was the DOC and Bobby Brown's bodyguard. He got the ends and outs of the music buisness from DOC

Harry O funded Deathrow when they first started through drugs and extortion and it was called "Godfather Enertainment"

Suga Free and Bizzy Bone are half Native

Mopreme of Thuglife is Mutulu Shakur's son and in '94 he killed a little girl by accident @ a concert

Yeah Ashanti is in the "MC's Act Like They Don't Know" video

Fatback Band's King Tim III (Personality Jock) outdated Rappers Delight as the first rap record out, but hardly gets mentioned.

Alchemist was in a group called Whooliganz(sp) when he was 14, and they dropped an album and a 12'.

The following rappers original rap names were:

Big Pun - Big Moon Dog X

Busta Rhymes - Chill O-Ski

Rakim- Kid Wizard

Q Tip - MC Love Child

2Pac - MC New York

Large Professo - Paul Juice

at one point, every single rap label warned their artists: "never publicly mention the Wu tang"

Ghostface beat up Mase causing him to have his jaw wired.

Jayz and Busta Rhymes attended the same high school and once battled in a hallway

jemain dupri was the youngest producer ever to go platinum

eazy e had dinner with george bush

most of state property got there style from spade of major figgas

philly's most wanted, major figgas, and state property used to chill and write rhymes together

snoop dogg went to school with camron diaz

run dmc hosted the first episode of yo mtv raps

Treach of Naughty By Nature auditioned for the role of Roland Bishop in the movie "Juice" (1992). He lost the role to Tupac Shakur.

As a teen, Scarface spent time in a mental institution. He was being treated for clinical depression, and often dreamed of killing himself

Lil Jon and The Eastside Boys aren't rappers

Big Pun also made his first major label guest starring debut on Flesh-N-Bone's first album T.H.U.G.S.

BUN B of UGK's nephew is LIL FATE from Ludacris's Disturbing The Peace

Golden Era group EPMD's breakup was dicey, to say the least. In '92, a group of armed goons broke into Parrish "PMD" Smith's Long Island home, looking to hurt him. When they couldn't find P., they tied up and assaulted one of Parrish's friends, who was in the home at the time of the break-in.

When the cops arrested and questioned one of the goons, he fingered Erick "E-Double" Sermon as the orchestrator of the break-in. P. waited a bit, to get his affairs in order. Then, after a taping of 'The Tonight Show' with EPMD and Das EFX in early '93, Parrish came back to N.Y., filed charges, and had Sermon arrested. EPMD's break-up was announced shortly thereafter.

After being cleared of the charges and released from jail, Erick Sermon had a semi-nervous breakdown. Forced to start over again, Sermon packed his bags and moved to Atlanta, at the urging of his friend, Michigan rapper M.C. Breed. Sermon, a millionaire just two years earlier, left New York with only $1,000 and an American Express card to his name.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Royce and his crew got there ass kicked by Proof of D12 and his crew Goon Sqwad..they injured 6 and sent royce and 2 others to the hospital...later Royce [After he dropped Malcom X] looked for Proof and engaged in a one on one...they were both sent to jail for the night.. they ended up in the same cell (or the cells next to each other) and resolved there beef there....

Esham, a pioneer in horrorcore rap in detroit, wrote some of the most vicious diss tracks to eminem....response was Bizzare sending Esham to the hospital with a ruptured eyeball, a mild concussion and loss of hearin in his left ear...

A young man and His friend rapped for Andre and gave him a demo tape and Dre said he would do something for him when he could...That young man later became a DJ in atlanta and is now known as Ludacris....

- Mobb Deep's original name was Poetical Prophets. They did music of an Afrocentric nature.

- Willie Dee (of the Geto Boys) knocked out HipHop legend Grandmaster Melle Mel in a Bronx boxing tournament.

We all know The Notorious B.I.G. was killed in Los Angeles on March 9, 1997. But, ironically, Biggie shouldn't have been in L.A. that weekend. Big, who'd been in L.A. since early February '97 promoting his 'Life After Death' album, was supposed to hop a flight to London on Friday, March 7, 1997, to continue his promotional junket. Biggie canceled his flight, and chose to remain in L.A. that weekend. He enjoyed the sunshine too much, and didn't want to leave it behind to go to an overcast London. Plus, he disliked European food. It may seem trite, but it's true. If Biggie had gotten on that flight on March 7th, he might still be with us.

Mr. Lif is said to be a second grade teacher.

mase had a million dollar contract (I think he was the first rapper, to get that).

Foxy visited 50 cent, when he was shots 9 times.

Kool Keith & DMX used to collects bugs.

Dmx used to stand for "Divine Master of the unknown" (he should had kept that meaning)

redman is into fat women.

Krazyzie Bone is a Jehovah Witness

Dre didnt like Snoop's raps, when he first heard them.

Krazyzie bone is singing "Gangsta party" in that Snoop & pac song (but was uncredited for it, i think).

Canibus is allergic to seafood.

Just blaze got into producing, mostly to buy videogames.

Neptunes got some influence from old atari's music/sfx.

Swizz beat was supposed to be taught by Irv gotti, on making beats. But, Irv neva got around to teaching so, swizz learned on his own.

Suge Knight told J.D. to leave in 5 min. When they were both at the same club.

Beanie Sigel, used to own a hot-dog stand.

Em took young zee & pacwon's verses off of "Amityville." Cause they wouldn't change their verses.

Kid rock sent a demo to Bad boy. Nelly sent a demo to roc & so so def. And were all turned down.

The A&R who turned them down, were fired (except JD, since Nelly gave him the demo personally).

q-tip & Angie Martienez used to date.......

LL cool j wanted to do a song with odb. But when odb got to the studio. He rip off one of LL's plaque & pissed on it. Which made LL mad & got sercuity on him.

mc hammer dissed redman in one of his song.

dmx first thought Biggie was soft. Since, he saw Big did somethin real stupid in the studio.

KRS-One helped Kid Rock get his first record deal with Jive Records when he let him open a show for the Boogie Down Productions in 1990.

MefMan36
10-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Havoc had originally intended to rob Prodigy before they met. LMAO, that's some funny ass shit. lol

LL cool j wanted to do a song with odb. But when odb got to the studio. He rip off one of LL's plaque & pissed on it. Which made LL mad & got sercuity on him.
HAHA, Dirty was a crazy ass motherfucker.

num2son
10-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Crazy stuff MashPG.

Potent1
10-13-2005, 02:26 PM
^^ sounds about rye for ODB! lol!

blackwisdom
10-13-2005, 08:36 PM
This is a story with some interesting word of mouth facts:

Today I was talking with some co-workers about the nastiest jobs we've been assigned to. My Captain said that when he was a Lance Corporal in Saudi, he was assigned to clean the toilets. When he went in the stall to clean it there was solid waste everywhere. On the lid, on the floor, everywhere. The same thing for all the other stalls too. So he just sucked it up and cleaned the mess up for the first couple of days. After that he asked his Sergeant what the deal was. Come to find out the civlian Saudi workers (all Saudis) have a custom to stand up when they do #2. After they found that out, they assigned them to one stall. He also said that they don't use toilet paper. They received in their country brief not to shake their left hand, cause they take their fingers and whipe their butts with them. They rinse them off with a water spigot.

Now I don't have anything against my Brothers of that culture, I'm just passing along an interesting story.

Take it easy
Peace

num2son
10-13-2005, 08:45 PM
^^^^eeek

blackwisdom
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Killing with kindness.

I would start a thread in KTL, but I don't think it's worth it.

The Americas was primarily conquered by friendship and kindness. The colonist were helpless to certain extents. The Natives being trading people for centuries accepted them as friends. They fed them and taught them how to work their land. They even accepted their customs and religion, allowed their women to marry their men, etc. After some odd years more and more colonist came until the land couldn't support the Natives anymore. The great push began. This isn't the account of one isolated incident, but an average acount of places like San Salvador, Plymouth, Jamestown, Fort Defiance, the list goes on.

I see how when different cultures start to dominate others, especially the new dominating the elder, a trend of destruction seems to follow. I see that in so many places today. From poor communities with businesses coming in without the people's interest in their best interest, to invading countries, and slave cultures. I just wanted to speak on this right quick. It's about love and understanding.

Sometimes the kindness of a person can kill her/him. It's been done for years on end. The Native people of the Americas biggest mistake to me was not learning the common ways of their savage new guests. Sometimes (so called) integration isn't the best route. Think about it...

Take it easy Brothers and Sisters
I'ma chill with my family now,
Peace

num2son
10-13-2005, 09:33 PM
^^^:clap:

7EL7
10-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks alot Big Brother Black Wisdom for that - i learned alot

and to Mash PG

good stuff man

yall keep growing

Kriszy Substance
10-14-2005, 01:50 AM
This is a story with some interesting word of mouth facts:

Come to find out the civlian Saudi workers (all Saudis) have a custom to stand up when they do #2. After they found that out, they assigned them to one stall. He also said that they don't use toilet paper. They received in their country brief not to shake their left hand, cause they take their fingers and whipe their butts with them. They rinse them off with a water spigot.

Peace
^^This is fact for sure. It's like that in India too. I lived there for a couple years and that is the way they do it. The left hand over there is way worse than the middle finger here. You dont put your left hand on the dinner table nor do you touch people or make gestures in general with your left hand. I guess, at least they must know it's nasty!

Another weird thing I remember from India was the ferris wheel I saw at a carnival I went to.... a ferris wheel, big, like the ones we have...only they didn't use motors, they used people. These crazy motherfuckers would jump, swing and climb from bar to bar in perfect synchronicity so that the ferris wheel turned continuosly or stopped when needed. Nuts!

Although some facts are not facts, these things are fun to talk about. Thanks to BlackWisdom, MaShPG and Os3y3ris for the interesting thread. Lots of Love!

Os3y3ris
10-14-2005, 02:52 AM
That ferris wheel shit is off the hook. Wow.

blackwisdom
10-14-2005, 11:18 AM
^Yeah.

Take it easy
Peace

THE W
10-14-2005, 11:43 AM
WOW...thanks