PDA

View Full Version : Why is the media riding Jay-Z's dick?

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Seriously.

What is so special about him? I mean he got some of the most simple lyrics and some of the dumbest punchlines ever. Sorrry, but i really don't seee whats so special about Jay-Z. I could name 25 off the top of the dome better than him. MTV ranked him #1 rapper of all time? REALLY? REALLY? Over Nas? Over LL? Over Big Daddy Kane? Over Pac? Over Big? Over Fucking G Rap and Rakim!!? G Rap didn't even make that list (that alone proved the list is shit). Tell me why does he get so much credit for being one of the best?

UncontrolledSubstans
10-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Totally agrees. And "The Blueprint" must be the most overrated album of all time.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Eminem killed him on the Renegade track and his Takerover diss towards Mobb Deep & Nas was fucking weak imo. Nas released 2 CLASSICS over that 10 years. Mobb Deep released 3. Fuck the shit that Jay-Z was saying on the last verse was weak, Nas is his own character whereas Jay-Z used Big's lines. Big L fucking murdered him on every track they appeared together on.

Frank Sobotka
10-06-2010, 05:33 AM
MTV is a commercial tv channel, ofcourse a commercial rapper is going to be number one.

JakobR
10-06-2010, 06:44 AM
This is what I mean when I say people focus on what the music (in this case rapper) isn't rather than what it is.

Does it really matter if he is overrated? Does it matter if the masses like him?

In my opinion, he is a brilliant rapper who artistically has become a bit lazy in recent years. Reasonable doubt is a classic and in my opinion, it has the sweetest delivery of all time. That's enough for me.

issues
10-06-2010, 07:17 AM
he has a nice flow, lyrics, beats, he is highly marketable to the mainstream..
because hes saying and sounding like what they want to hear..

the MAJORITY of people dont want to be in club or chillin / driving whilst they're listening to the likes of Liquid Swords..

Edgar Erebus
10-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Seriously.
Pause.

What is so special about him?
For starters, he got more money than your whole family tree could ever imagine.

I mean he got some of the most simple lyrics
That just means you are too simple to realize how complex they are in their simplicity.

and some of the dumbest punchlines ever.
He redefined what's smart, in case you don't know. Dumb is new smart. The dumber you are, the smarter you are actually.

Sorrry, but i really don't seee whats so special about Jay-Z.
Second, he's the biggest-selling rap artist of all time. 150 million people can't be wrong to buy albums from a guy who is nothing special.

I could name 25 off the top of the dome better than him.
Do it.

MTV ranked him #1 rapper of all time? REALLY? REALLY?
Really.

Over Nas?
He lost.

Over LL?
He's old.

Over Big Daddy Kane?
He didn't drop an album in over 12 years.

Over Pac?
He's dead.

Over Big?
He's dead too.

Over Fucking G Rap
Who's that?

and Rakim!!?
Had one album that was worth listening, like, 50 years ago. I mean, it was worth listening back then.

G Rap didn't even make that list (that alone proved the list is shit).
I don't know who's that G Rap cat you keep talking about. Did he go platinum?

Tell me why does he get so much credit for being one of the best?
Cause he's so fucking awesome he can record anything and it will go double platinum. He's just great. The flow, the lyrics, the hustle, everything. I mean, he's so great he doesn't even write his own lyrics. Dude, really. How many people you know that can do that?

[/THE FRANCHISE]

Undiluted Karma
10-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Jay Z has skills, good flow, lyrics, discounting all the stuff about him biting peoples lyrics etc, to the basics, hes a good emcee, not my favourite but good.

Alot of the hype around him is due to his success and talk regarding the whole stupid illuminati rubbish and whether or not he is highly skilled.

I could name 25 off the top of the dome better than him.
Do it.

Everyone in the Wu Tang Clan except ODB imo (rip)
Jus Allah
Vinnie Paz
P-Sunn
Timbo King
Razah
Priest
Nas
Kool G Rap
Pharoahe Monch
Redman
Guru(RIP)
Black Thought
Big Punisher(RIP)
Canibus
MF Doom

Can't be bothered to think of more, not to take anything away for Jay Z, but eff it its all subjective anyway, people get too caught up in music politics, enjoy the music.

JakobR
10-06-2010, 10:02 AM
I have never understood why it makes anyone something special if they dont write their lyrics. When I listen to an album, it's not like I accept bad lyrics if they havn't been written in the first place.

And just for the record, he hasn't sold 150 million albums. Tupac and Em are the best selling rappers of all time and none of them have sold as much as 100 m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Tommy
10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/HeightFiveSeven/March%202010/Rakimsolexposure.jpg

"Jay-Z is my favorite MC." - Rakim

Your opinion is invalid. Jay-Z is in the top 5 dead or alive. Stop listening to hip hop because you obviously know nothing about it. End of discussion.

JakobR
10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Not really having a go at Jay-Z but really... I've seen a lot of great rappers out there praising Wayne, still people make him a scapegoat for hip hop going downhill.

People should be allowed to make up their own opinion.

Frank Sobotka
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww314/HeightFiveSeven/March%202010/Rakimsolexposure.jpg

Your opinion is invalid. Jay-Z is in the top 5 dead or alive. Stop listening to hip hop because you obviously know nothing about it. End of discussion.
There are at least 50 rappers considered top 5 dead or alive, doesn't really mean shit.

Tommy
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
There are at least 50 rappers considered top 5 dead or alive, doesn't really mean shit.

No. If Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS, and G Rap consider Jay-Z as the G.O.A.T. then it pretty much means he is. It's not even up for discussion.

Jay-Z is considered one of the greatest because, well, he is one of the greatest. Not much more to say on the subject really apart from that if you cannot see this, then you just don't understand hip hop. Doesn't really matter anyway, nobody's gonna lose sleep over what some young, white kids on a forum think.

Frank Sobotka
10-06-2010, 11:27 AM
No. If Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS, and G Rap consider Jay-Z as the G.O.A.T. then it pretty much means he is. It's not even up for discussion.

Jay-Z is considered one of the greatest because, well, he is one of the greatest. Not much more to say on the subject really apart from that if you cannot see this, then you just don't understand hip hop. Doesn't really matter anyway, nobody's gonna lose sleep over what some young, white kids on a forum think.
Show me the exact quotes, it might not mean shit.

We've all said X is my favourite rapper right now, which doesn't at all mean we think they are one of the greatest.

Tommy
10-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Show me the exact quotes, it might not mean shit.

We've all said X is my favourite rapper right now, which doesn't at all mean we think they are one of the greatest.

Why would you want to see the exact quote? Lmfao. Does it hurt you that much that they actually said it?

What is it with people refusing to admit that Jay-Z is one of the greatest? Because he sells a lot? I guess people will just hate for no reason.

Frank Sobotka
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Why would you want to see the exact quote? Lmfao. Does it hurt you that much that they actually said it?

What is it with people refusing to admit that Jay-Z is one of the greatest? Because he sells a lot? I guess people will just hate for no reason.
I like jay-z, but one of the greatest?

He has 2 weak albums for every good albums IMO.

I just want the quotes because often it still doesn't mean shit.
I believe Rakim said "he is my favourite rapper right now" which like I said, doesn't at all mean he's one of the greatest.

Undiluted Karma
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
dudes need to chill out man, this isnt general chat

peace

Tommy
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM

I believe Rakim said "he is my favourite rapper right now" which like I said, doesn't at all mean he's one of the greatest.

Yeah, Rakim changes his favourite rapper each week; you've got it exactly right. No, the exact quote is "Jay-Z is my favourite rapper." I can't believe I even have to say that as it's not that hard to believe. Ask anybody who knows what they're talking about when it comes to hip hop (there's not many on this site, I understand) what they think of Jay-Z.

Travel to Brooklyn and see what type of respect Jay-Z has there. I can actually speak first hand on this subject as I've been to New York and discussed it with regular, hard working people who bleed hip hop and they all had unanimous praise for Jay-Z.

Go to see him live and speak to some of the people in the crowd. In fact, go to ANY hip hop gig and speak to people in the crowd and see what they say. Disrespecting him just proves how little you must know about the hip hop culture because if you ever said what you're saying to me now in real life to a TRUE hip hop head, you'd get laughed at. It's the exact equivalent of walking into Freddie Roach's Wild Card boxing gym in LA and saying, "yeah, Ali was good. I like him, but one of the greatest? Nah, I can name 100 better boxers." The whole gym would fall silent immediately.

He's one of the greatest of all time. Don't wanna believe it? Fair enough. But your opinion is from now on rendered irrelevant.

food for thought
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah, Rakim changes his favourite rapper each week; you've got it exactly right. No, the exact quote is "Jay-Z is my favourite rapper." I can't believe I even have to say that as it's not that hard to believe. Ask anybody who knows what they're talking about when it comes to hip hop (there's not many on this site, I understand) what they think of Jay-Z.

Travel to Brooklyn and see what type of respect Jay-Z has there. I can actually speak first hand on this subject as I've been to New York and discussed it with regular, hard working people who bleed hip hop and they all had unanimous praise for Jay-Z.

Go to see him live and speak to some of the people in the crowd. In fact, go to ANY hip hop gig and speak to people in the crowd and see what they say. Disrespecting him just proves how little you must know about the hip hop culture because if you ever said what you're saying to me now in real life to a TRUE hip hop head, you'd get laughed at. It's the exact equivalent of walking into Freddie Roach's Wild Card boxing gym in LA and saying, "yeah, Ali was good. I like him, but one of the greatest? Nah, I can name 100 better boxers." The whole gym would fall silent immediately.

He's one of the greatest of all time. Don't wanna believe it? Fair enough. But your opinion is from now on rendered irrelevant.

ahahahah SHUT THE FUCK ENGLAND

the fuck do you know about hip hop to tell someone else their opinion is invalid.

quit talking out of your ass and post the quotes from those rappers you posted faggit

ahahah for real? you went and talked to regular hard working people about jay-z?

LOL

so if the same "regular hard working" people in new york have unanimous praise for lil wayne, lil boosie and eminem does that make them the GOAT?

fucking english faggit go have supper and tea time.

food for thought
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM

yo why are you even still posting man?

Tommy from england went to brooklyn and talked to regular hard working people aout jay-z, bro.

your opinion is therefore invalid bro.

lol jesus

Tommy
10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
ahahahah SHUT THE FUCK ENGLAND

the fuck do you know about hip hop to tell someone else their opinion is invalid.

quit talking out of your ass and post the quotes from those rappers you posted faggit

ahahah for real? you went and talked to regular hard working people about jay-z?

LOL

so if the same "regular hard working" people in new york have unanimous praise for lil wayne, lil boosie and eminem does that make them the GOAT?

fucking english faggit go have supper and tea time.

This kid is obviously pretty annoyed. And what does, "SHUT THE FUCK ENGLAND" mean? Lmfao, good one.

I'm not gonna go into huge detail about who I spoke to in New York, but the fact remains that Jay-Z is one of the GOATS. Who knew that a simple statement like that could cause such controversy?

Frank Sobotka
10-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I doubt neither of us is even going to try looking at this from the others perspective so let's just stop this back and forth.

Does anybody else think the "Eminem Murdered you on your own shit" line really scarred jigga? With the exception of Kanye (or other affiliate) he doesn't seem to appear as a guest often, I don't count verses he did on some pop-diva record either.

Tommy
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I doubt neither of us is even going to try looking at this from the others perspective so let's just stop this back and forth.

Does anybody else think the "Eminem Murdered you on your own shit" line really scarred jigga? With the exception of Kanye (or other affiliate) he doesn't seem to appear as a guest often, I don't count verses he did on some pop-diva record either.

Fair enough.

But smh at your last paragraph..

theheavens
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
because his nostrils aren't big enough

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Pause.

[QUOTE=Slim T;1975886]For starters, he got more money than your whole family tree could ever imagine.

And money = How good you are right?

That just means you are too simple to realize how complex they are in their simplicity.

Jay-Z has a few classics whereas other rappers have countless classics some rappers their whole albums are just filled with classics.

He redefined what's smart, in case you don't know. Dumb is new smart. The dumber you are, the smarter you are actually.

What?

Second, he's the biggest-selling rap artist of all time. 150 million people can't be wrong to buy albums from a guy who is nothing special.
As i said before Record sales don't mean jack

Do it.
Nas
Rakim
Kool G Rap
Big Daddy Kane
KRS-One
Ghostface Killah
Biggie Smalls
2Pac
Big L
Lord Finesse
Eminem
GZA
RZA
Inspectah Deck
LL Cool J
Chuck D
AZ
Prodigy
Andre 3000
Raekwon
Mos Def
Canibus
Redman
Pharoah Monch
Killah Priest
Slick Rick
Common
Ice Cube
Scarface

Really.

He lost.
Yes since Jay-Z made Nas cry on national radio. Jay-Z definetly won this battle. Jay-Z brought Nas's baby son into the feud with that 'condoms in the backseat' line. Nas fucking killed Jay-Z.

He's old.
He pioneered hip-hop and is one of the all time greats

He didn't drop an album in over 12 years.
His first 2 > Jay-Z whole catalog

He's dead.
Your point?

He's dead too.
^

Who's that?
Ohhh only the rapper that created multi-syllabics, he ain't great at ALL.

Had one album that was worth listening, like, 50 years ago. I mean, it was worth listening back then.

All of Eric B & Rakim's albums were classics.

I don't know who's that G Rap cat you keep talking about. Did he go platinum?

Are you for real?

Cause he's so fucking awesome he can record anything and it will go double platinum. He's just great. The flow, the lyrics, the hustle, everything. I mean, he's so great he doesn't even write his own lyrics. Dude, really. How many people you know that can do that?

Sales don't mean shit i said that before. He had one great album and the rest is below average-good. Nas can also do the same, expect the difference is Nas is better than Jay-Z.

The only reason he ain't say Nas is cuz of the little beef they had back then cause Nas used Rakim's kids names on record.

hide1998
10-07-2010, 01:53 AM
To the poster that said, "Who is that? Did he go platinum?" in regards to Kool G Rap, that's borderline trolling. If I were a mod, you'd get a message warning for shit like that. Repeat offenses of said trolling would get you banned.

Compulsion
10-07-2010, 02:10 AM
to the poster that said, "who is that? Did he go platinum?" in regards to kool g rap, that's borderline trolling. If i were a mod, you'd get a message warning for shit like that. Repeat offenses of said trolling would get you banned.

+1

copywrite
10-07-2010, 03:07 AM
He's old.

So is Jay-Z.

Durag
10-07-2010, 03:48 AM
People come up with such fucking retarded reasons for defending Jay-Z, and this is coming from a Jay-Z fan.

Everyone here was complaining like fuck when 50 Cent and whoever the fuck else said album sales and how much money they make were the most important things, but when it comes to saying how dope Jay-Z is, thats the first thing they mention, and its bullshit.

Jay-Z is one of my favourite rappers ever, maybe just outside the top 10, but its clearly fuckin obvious that Nas, 2Pac, Biggie etc are better rappers, but Jay-Z would be my favourite commercial rapper ever. He knows exactly what to do to stay popular, im not citing this as a reason for him to be number 1, but he manages to make some great music at the same time, which is why i check for him.

I fully understand people not liking hilm for whatever reason, hes sold out more times tham half of wu-corp have had sex. Listen to him pre RD, then listen to RD, then to what hes like now. He has seriously dumbed down his rhyme structure and his lyrics which i know puts a lot of people off, but i think he has steadily maintened a good style and he definitly still has skills, he just uses them diferently.

Jay-Z definitly cares more about album sales now though, "American Gangster" was more of a straight up hip-hop record which was recieved well by critics and fans but didnt sell his usual high standard, so what did he do? Get Rihanna, Alicia Keys etc to be on his next album which is basically full of pop hits (some bangers though) so he pretty much picked having big album sales and appealing to the pop marked over an album loved by critics and just hip-hop fans.

But in a genre where being 40 is old and past it, to still have such a huge following and fan base, you have to give some respect for that.

Edgar Erebus
10-07-2010, 03:36 PM
@ Inspectah Meck & hide:

Y'all didn't read the whole post.