PDA

View Full Version : Talent Does Not Equal Relevancy

buckshotstheone
10-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Today I look at how you can be the best rapper in the world lyrically but if no one knows you then you really ain't shit

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2010/10/11/talent-does-not-equal-relevancy/

I frequently get into discussions with people about the hottest MCs out, the most talented artists, or any other way of defining whatís good hip hop and whatís bad (word up to that Waka Flocka album haha).

We all have our own personal tastes and while some are based on years of dedication to an artistís entire catalog, other people just like whatís hot and could give a fuck less about the unreleased demo from 2004 with an extra verse on a later used track. Proving how good an artist is to someone who may not have the same standards for taste is a difficult task especially if youíre sifting through random freestyles looking for one hot line instead of having that go-to track that has universal appeal. Basically thereís a huge difference between being a talented MC, and being a relevant rapper, and in the end the latter always wins.

I like plenty of artists who the rap world for the most part doesnít give a fuck about (http://www.cdn.urbanmusicdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/memphis_bleek.jpg). Whether they choose to be underground or just havenít been able to break through on a mainstream level, theyíre still incredibly talented and clearly have the ability to entertain enough people that Iíve somehow stumbled upon their album somewhere and felt the need to check for anything new they drop, but that has nothing to do with their relevancy to hip hop in general. You can be the biggest Moka Only fan on the planet but youíre gonna have a hard time finding other Moka fans unless you go to his shows or hang out on some underground hip hop forum page. My boy Vega X got a dope ass album out right now with his group Guerrilla Alliance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMXpa1YRak) but I wouldnít go off talking about how out of all the releases this year that their album is the pinnacle of hip hop, imma tell you that the Roots got it, or Big Boi, or hopefully Kanye. But thatís not to say an album like ďRevolutions Per MinuteĒ isnít a solid release, itís just that Talib Kweli is never gonna have a commercial smash (again) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WEqr1zDq5s) like Fabolous consistently does.

Far too many hip hop fanboys are such dickriders of their favorite artists that when the discussion of who the best MCs in hip hop right now comes up they are always listing off people who most rap fans havenít heard much from and who a general survey would show most people havenít even heard of, yet these clowns will defend them like they are the best rapper to ever touch the mic (pause) and sometimes will get highly offended if you try to tell them that Fabolous, right now, is better than Lupe Fiasco, because Fabolous actually drops albums where as Lupe just talks about how awesome he is and has his boys bitch slap the white dude (http://goodmusicalconditions.blogspot.com/2010/05/rumors-around-academy-lupe-fiasco-gets.html) from 2DopeBoyz (http://www.2dopeboyz.com/).

Itís not wrong to say that some rappers are more talented than others, but talent doesnít just come from lyrics, it comes from making music that appeals to a wide audience. It comes from being able to make songs with hooks and 16s instead of just rapping for as long as you feel like to the point where Iíve stopped paying attention cause you needed a break for a hook like 22 bars ago. So when I say T.I. is better than Cymarshall Law itís not necessarily because T.I. is better lyrically, itís because some of you just saw that name for the first time and are like ďwho?Ē Iím not saying a rapper is better because theyíre famous, but taking into account everything that matters with regard to an MC, talent means nothing if there is no one there to hear it.

So when the discussion comes up about who the top rappers are, relevancy is always key, and so thereís no need to get offended if MC Underground Punchline Extraordinaire (Papoose, whoís #milkcartonstatus again btw) doesnít make the list because at the end of the day homeboy is forgettable, and all the hot freestyles in the world canít make a solid album that we can hold up with the other classics of today, so either understand the conversation youíre in, or go back to the wall at some 30 person show and act like you know everything, cause then youíll be as relevant to hip hop as your favorite rapper.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-11-2010, 07:18 PM
please stop.
your opinions are asinine and ridiculous, and everything about your blogging style from the intentionally mispelled words, shoehorned-in slang, to fake tweets of lame references, makes you look like an asshole that's trying too hard.
You're a buffoon.
Don't post anymore blogs.

Mr. R&B
10-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Fabolous consistently does.

Far too many hip hop fanboys are such dickriders of their favorite artists that when the discussion of who the best MCs in hip hop right now comes up they are always listing off people who most rap fans havenít heard much from and who a general survey would show most people havenít even heard of, yet these clowns will defend them like the are the best rapper to ever touch a mic(pause) and sometimes will get highly offended if you try to tell them that Fabolous, right now, is better than Lupe Fiasco, because Fabolous actually drops albums where as Lupe just talks about how awesome he is and has his boys bitch slap the white dude from 2DopeBoyz

LMFAO...Contradiction much?

EAGLE EYE
10-11-2010, 11:21 PM
New Hampshire is the voice of hiphop and ALL things hoppity hip.

Mumm Ra
10-11-2010, 11:58 PM
ive only vaguely skimmed two of this dude's dumbly opinionated blogs
i shall remind myself to skip the whole ordeal in the future

Mic Tyson
10-12-2010, 12:42 AM
ive only vaguely skimmed two of this dude's dumbly opinionated blogs
i shall remind myself to skip the whole ordeal in the future

wish i would have read this first

whitey
10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
why would talent = relevancy in the first place? very few artists of any genre are relevant. they can go in and out of relevancy but very few stay relevant for long periods of time. and relevant to whom? the world, the untied states, the music community as a whole, the hip hop community, the underground, black people, white people? lot of holes here.

i dont even get why there is a need to bring it up. like where is the point in that.

for your next blog how bout telling me how water is wet.

ALCATRAZ
10-12-2010, 11:26 PM
today buckshotstheone informs us that if no one knows who you are, then you aren't known LOLZ

buckshotstheone
10-13-2010, 04:54 PM
^ #dead

Mr. R&B
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
???

main_man
10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
please, for the sake of your parents, please stop with the fucking idiotic "hip hop" blogs.

and the funniest thnig is even the most irrelevant,unknown, 100 unit selling rapper is far more relevant that you.