PDA

View Full Version : How does Madlib create his jazz music?

claaa7
10-13-2010, 04:14 AM
Now hip-hop is hip-hop and jazz iz jazz but they are strongly connected and in my eyes Madlib is a hip-hop producer first and foremost so this thread goes in the shop. I know of course that the "Shades of Blue" album was created around large samples of Blue Note classics from the '50s and '60s, it's pretty much a remix album - but what i have been wondering is how Madlib creates his other jazz works like "Miles Away" and "Free Jazz", etc. are they all made using samples from other musicians work but in a new context or does 'Lib actually play instruments on his own? usually it says that this and this instrument is played by so and so but the majoirty, if not all, of these names are imaginary players from the mind of Otis Jackson. i doubt Madlib can handle all instruments to overdub himself enough to create entire jazz albums with big bands so what's the deal here?

issues
10-13-2010, 04:22 AM
As a hip-hop producer who quickly grew tired of sampling, Madlib bought a Fender Rhodes to see if he could peck out the melodies he heard on records and, more importantly, the ones swarming through his head. "In about a week, I started making my own songs," he recalls. "After that, I bought a drum set and then an upright bass. I also rented a vibraphone for a month." After fleshing out his musical arsenal with guitar and miscellaneous percussion, he conceived Yesterday's New Quintet, a one-man soul-jazz ensemble, comprised of fictional members Malik Flavors, Monk Hughes, Ahmad Miller, Joe McDuffrey and one Otis Jackson Jr.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/14094-madlib

claaa7
10-13-2010, 04:37 AM
wow thx man, that's ill... i'm not crazy about all his jazz recordings since there's so much better jazz out there but they are by no means bad.

J-DON
10-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah hes a multi-instrumentalist. All the YNQ stuff, Miles Away, basically all the non hip hop or beat konducta stuff is him playing everything.

Crackhead Bob
10-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't consider jazz and hip hop closely related at all.

Rock is closer to hip hop than jazz, hell, Techno is closer to hip hop than jazz.

Taskmaster2112
10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
the Sound Directions album is mostly studio musicians (but Madlib wrote the tracks), Jackson Conti is a collaboration with Ivan Conti, Young Jazz Rebels has Karriem Riggins and someone else who i can't remember right now on it, but YNQ and the five members of YNQ's albums are all Madlib. it's amazing how he's such a great beatmaker and DJ and also a really skilled multi-instrumentalist (and i like his rapping, personally, although a lot of people don't).

issues
10-14-2010, 03:28 AM

Rock is closer to hip hop than jazz, hell, Techno is closer to hip hop than jazz.

worst quote ever..

claaa7
10-14-2010, 05:57 AM

nah i disagree, jazz and hip-hop has very many similarities altho they are of course divided by a whole lot of differences as well. the structure of the songs are hardly the same but the "vibe" i get from much hip-hop music and some jazz are closely related altho that's much in the eyes of the beholder. but jazz music is notorious for it's improvisation much like the freestyling in hip-hop, in fact some of the greatest MC's uses their voice just like a talented jazz saxophonist would carry his horn on a joint for example (guys like Black Thought, Big Punisher and even KRS-One can be mentioned here). the political and spiritual part of some subgenres in jazz such as be-bop or free jazz is closely related to that of the agressive black power message displayed in a lot of hip-hop like Public Enemy or NWA. on top of that sooo much incredible hip-hop music was built around and continued from samples of great jazz music.

rock and hip-hop has alot of things in common but by no means more than jazz + hip-hop if you ask me. projects like Buckshot LeFonque (Branford Marsalis + DJ Premier) or Guru's Jazzmattazz further proves how well these two genres mesh with eachother. and techno?? come on NOW!!

3MBOSQSxJEU

issues
10-14-2010, 06:35 AM
http://www.jazz.com/dozens/the-dozens-hip-hop-meets-jazz

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
you think allot of your fav producers are create digger fiends they ain't got nothing on Madlib and his sample fliipping style

THE MASON
10-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Buckshot LeFonque (Branford Marsalis + DJ Premier)

damn, glad someone else is diggin this.

i played it for a homie one time and just looked at me all bugged out like lol

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
never could get into jazz. ive tried, bunch of times, never happened. even bitches brew, dont get the appeal.