PDA

View Full Version : Lets be honest Jigga's catalogue aint all that

Killah_L
10-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I know sales and hits wise they have all been a success, but to true hip hop fans how do you rate them?

Reasonable Doubt (1996) - Ok I have to admit a 5 mic classic, unbelievable lyrically

In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997) - 4 mics, I disagree with everyone that says take of 2 tracks and its a classic. Good album but little replay value to me

Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (1998) - 2 mics honestly and thats being generous, i personally hate this album, one or two hot tacks

Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter (1999) - 3 mics better than Vol 2 but other than 2 classic tracks and a couple of decent ones the rest is garbage to me

The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000) - 3 mics very mediocre from start to finish

The Blueprint (2001) - 5 mics, when this came out I disagreed with the source but over time it truly is a classic

The Blueprint2: The Gift & The Curse (2002) - 3.5 mics average album with alot of filler

The Black Album (2003) - 4.5 mics, So near a classic, just missing something and a couple average tracks

Kingdom Come (2006) - 3.5 mics decent album no more

American Gangster (2007) - 4 mics thought it was better to begin with after release but as time passed my rating dropped for it

The Blueprint 3 (2009) - Couldn't rate not listened to it as much

This is my own honest opinion whats everyone elses?

angry!
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
he got 2 5 mic albums in your opinion and his catalog aint all that?!!?!?!?

what!?!?!?!?!

reasonable doubt - 5
the blueprint - 5
the black album - 4.5
american gangster - 4.5

4.5 - 5 mic albums

vol 1 = 4 mics
vol 2 = 4 mics (this the album that made jigga HOV)
vol 3 = 4 mics (underrated as fuck some played beats but lyrically mashed this)

DYNASTY = 4 mics... fuck that shit was solid kid, smash hits, huge intro, dope production with defining rocafella sound (bink just kanye etc)... bleek and beans did their thing on it... classic scarface verse...

blueprint 2 = 3.5 mics (could been an easy 4.5 if he scrapped half of it some of his best and worst joints ever)

kingdom come = 3 mics (hot and cold) where its hot its hot where its cold its COLD!!!!!!!

blueprint 3 = 3 mics (his weakest emcee'n ever... lot to be desired lyrically... still.. it had some joints, and im not gonna panic if somebody spinning it!!!!!!!!!!

pretty fuckin solid IMO there buddy... anybody with longevity gonna have peaks and valleys... jay got a strong catalog, he got classic joints on every album and he still droppin shit!!!!!!!!!!!

deeznutz1981
10-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree with threadstarter. Jay has a lot of shitty music out there. I actually dislike more songs by him than I like. Doesnt mean hes not a beast lyrically its just the direction of his music went too mainstream/pop for me.

Nas>>>>

trinking
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
its been a while since ive actually sat and listened to a jayz album but i know blueprint 3 and kingdom come were utter garbage. depending on my mood, reasonable doubt all the way to the black album were 4 or higher to me.
The Roc definitely held it down for a minute. i remember hearing what we do for the first time while at work wit all my friends. we had to stop workin cuz we couldnt stop noddin. i miss the days when i could listen to the radio and enjoy what was bein played.
shit i still remember the day me and my cousins first saw the triumph video on mtv at grandmas house in the garage down in florida and lost out fucking minds.

beautifulrock
10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
stop giving shit mics. You are not Benzino.

Mumm Ra
10-13-2010, 02:20 PM
lol i just skimmed at the ratings you gave him and you gave him a damn nice looking catalog with those number of mics

THE MASON
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
lol i just skimmed at the ratings you gave him and you gave him a damn nice looking catalog with those number of mics

thats what i thought

hate em or love em, Jay catalogue is far from weak, plus with that much material you gonna have some duds in there.

im no Jay-z fan, in fact i dont own anything past Reasonable Doubt but i listen and i can at least recognize he had a good run in the game for a long time. now............. he makes some suspect moves imo

Killah_L
10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Its just my opinion which counts for shit but there are so many artist with that many albums out and better ones. Don't get me wrong when Jay is on form he is a monster, just trying to point out its not all roses.

Jay made a big thing in his beef with Nas about Nas's albums when truth be told at that time Nas was shitting on Jay imo.

Look at Ghost, Scarface, Nas, 2Pac (albums made when he was alive) for stronger discography's imo.

Biggie doesn't really count due to his small output, even tho they were both bangers

beautifulrock
10-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Scarface? What are we elevating The Diary to Sgt. Pepper status?

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Nas has a better catalog imo:

Illmatic: 5/5
IWW: 4.5/5
I Am....: 3/5
Nastradamus: 2/5
Stillmatic: 4.5/5
The Lost Tapes: 5/5
Gods Son: 4/5
Streets Diciple: 3.5/5
Hip Hop is Dead: 3.5/5
Untitled: 4/5
Distant Relatives w/ Damien Marley: 4/5

Djaminha
10-13-2010, 04:13 PM
He has a catalogue 95% of rappers could only dream of.

stop hating.

Frank Sobotka
10-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm the first to call Jay overrated but he has the best catalogue of all pop rappers.

deeznutz1981
10-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Scarface? What are we elevating The Diary to Sgt. Pepper status?

i dont exactly know what you meant by that ^ but The Diary is a fuckin top 10 classic!

racist randy
10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
he got 2 5 mic albums in your opinion and his catalog aint all that?!!?!?!?

what!?!?!?!?!

reasonable doubt - 5
the blueprint - 5
the black album - 4.5
american gangster - 4.5

4.5 - 5 mic albums

vol 1 = 4 mics
vol 2 = 4 mics (this the album that made jigga HOV)
vol 3 = 4 mics (underrated as fuck some played beats but lyrically mashed this)

DYNASTY = 4 mics... fuck that shit was solid kid, smash hits, huge intro, dope production with defining rocafella sound (bink just kanye etc)... bleek and beans did their thing on it... classic scarface verse...

blueprint 2 = 3.5 mics (could been an easy 4.5 if he scrapped half of it some of his best and worst joints ever)

kingdom come = 3 mics (hot and cold) where its hot its hot where its cold its COLD!!!!!!!

blueprint 3 = 3 mics (his weakest emcee'n ever... lot to be desired lyrically... still.. it had some joints, and im not gonna panic if somebody spinning it!!!!!!!!!!

pretty fuckin solid IMO there buddy... anybody with longevity gonna have peaks and valleys... jay got a strong catalog, he got classic joints on every album and he still droppin shit!!!!!!!!!!!
Close this thread. Jay-Z haterz need to jump off a cliff. What's worst, Jay-Z being better than 98.9% of your favorite rappers or niggaz thinking he was really shouting out 60 Second Assassin on one of his songs with R. Kelly. LMAO. Die slow

beautifulrock
10-13-2010, 05:54 PM
i dont exactly know what you meant by that ^ but The Diary is a fuckin top 10 classic!
Top 10 of what?

Southern Solja
10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
What's wrong with mainstream rappers anyway? Hip-Hop trying to enter the limelight is a bad thing now?

cap
10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
am i the only one that loves Blueprint 3?

that shit is easily in his top 5 albums to me, i dont get the hate for it.

to me in no order.

Reasonable doubt
The blueprint
American gangster
The blueprint 3
The black album

check two
10-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Hollow Darts sounds like he has a crush on him? He used to be better years back when he had a faster flow. Then he decided to put some people to sleep.

main_man
10-13-2010, 11:00 PM
while jigga might not have all 5 mic classics, his discography is better than most rappers.

and what about the unplugged album with the roots? that shit was dope too.

main_man
10-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Top 10 of what?

scarface easily has one of the best discographies of any rapper, EVER.

and thats just based on his solo shit, not even including geto boys albums.

and that a fact, jack.

Mr. R&B
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Co-sign what main_man posted.

Seriously, who would question Face's catalouge?

I think even Jay-Z would agree with that assertion.

Regional bias aside, if you hate on Scarface, you're a fag.

main_man
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Regional bias aside, if you hate on Scarface, you're a fag.

^^ and thats been proven by a team of the worlds top scientists.
if you hate on brad jordan as a rapper, you are indeed a homosexual.

or not even the least bit hood.

Mr. R&B
10-14-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree (obviously)

theheavens
10-14-2010, 02:10 AM
his debut album is great. everything else is mediocre or shit

ALCATRAZ
10-14-2010, 02:36 AM
jay z fans are herbs for the most part