PDA

View Full Version : Illmatic/It Was Written vs Ready to Die/Life After death.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-15-2010, 09:00 PM
These two were subliminally going at each other in their song. It wasn't anything serious but out of their first two albums which do you think had the better?

theheavens
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
well Biggie had the better diss tracks, no contest. but overall, Nas is the better MC

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
10-15-2010, 09:22 PM
i love both artists but i have bumped illmatic, it was written and ready to die allot but life after death as an album was so disjointed yet still a well done double lp. it was written was an evolution of nas as some dislike songs like streets dream, you can see nas flexed his lyrical muscle not an instant classic but has become one.

as with illmatic vs ready to die it's a matter of preferance both classics,both are dope and it's hard to constract them from one another.

GreyFoxCyborgNinja
10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Biggie Smalls Because Of Such Songs As Gimme the Loot And Who Shot Ya And Kick In Your Door

cap
10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Biggie Smalls Because Of Such Songs As Gimme the Loot And Who Shot Ya And Kick In Your Door

who shot ya wasnt on ready to die or life after death!

GreyFoxCyborgNinja
10-15-2010, 09:29 PM
who shot ya wasnt on ready to die or life after death!

Yea It Was Ready To Die Track 18

MaskedAvenger
10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
No it wasn't on RTD. Not on the original release. Anyway, back on topic. I'll go with Biggie anyday.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
10-15-2010, 11:22 PM
No it wasn't on RTD. Not on the original release. Anyway, back on topic. I'll go with Biggie anyday.

it was meant for the original release but was put out on the re-release deluxe edition

MaskedAvenger
10-16-2010, 01:21 AM
it was meant for the original release but was put out on the re-release deluxe edition

lol thats what i just said.

LiquidSwords32
10-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Capital Punishment & Yeah Baby were better than all 4

MaskedAvenger
10-16-2010, 01:41 AM
ahah Yeah Baby was a piece of shit

claaa7
10-16-2010, 05:03 AM
"Who Shot Ya?!" was never meant to be on 'R.T.D.', it was a B-side to "Warning" but released in 1995 (a year after the album). great song tho... the original "Watcha Want" was a last-minute deletion that's i'm 100% sure off tho and i believe the Lord Finesse produced track with Sadat X and Biggie was deleted pretty late too. great tracks!

good thread tho man, i don't think this has been done here before. there's usually the Jay-Z albums vs. the Nas albums or something like that but these 2 Nas vs. Biggie's 2's are closer both in legacy and release dates.

"Illmatic" is my favorite hip-hop album of all time (tied with "Ob4cl") but "Ready to Die" is top-10. but on the other hand, if you only kept the absolute 9 best songs of 'R.D.T.' and the introduction it might have been a different story.

"Life After Death" is another favorite album off mine, just like Nas on "It Was Written", i'd say these two LP's were the respective MC's lyrical peak. Biggie had definitely improved even more here, he sounded more confident, came through with mad different deliveries and even his voice was slightly different + he covered the whole spectrum of songs and it was a 2 CD. the last two points are a strength and a "weakness" at the same time for me tho, while it's filled with timeless music that holds as BIG's best works it also has some of his worst work. the majority of the 2xCD is incredible tho and it proves that he could handle pretty much anything with grace - and without coming off as corny; matter of fact i think he was the first of these type of rappers who really pulled off this concept successfully and every rapper after him tried to be him. "Life After Death" is no doubt a classic album and a cornerstone in hip-hop - altho not every song is a 5/5 the ALBUM is definitely a 5/5 release. but so is "It Was Written", "Illmatic" and "Ready to Die" too.

i'm just ranting on here, what i'm trying to say is that we got two of the best, most influential MC's who had a friendly rivalry at this time and i need to think about this for a while. it might even be a fucking tie LOL

WooHa
10-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Notorious BIG is the greatest one, hands down

Killah_L
10-16-2010, 04:05 PM
For me its Nas, It was written is in my all time top 5 hip hop albums and I actually prefer it to Illmatic (waits for the hate)

life after death had too many tracks I skip