PDA

View Full Version : Can Nas freestyle off the dome?

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Well i've been thinking this for ages. He's a top 10 lyricist and probably the greatest lyricist with lyrics that actually makes you think.

Well Jay challenged him to a live freestyle battle and he refuesed and i was just on a forum where it said Nas is notoriously known for his lack of freestyle ability.

INF
10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
man I remember hearing killah priest spit off the top on some web show called freestyle 101 or some shit and he was not spitting anything amazing.I was shocked. I thought dude was gonna spit about chariots coming out of the sky and shit and then he comes with some old cat in the hat rhymes that your drunk uncle would spit during x-mas of 87.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Is Nas's Honeymoon, Escobar 97 and H to the OMO freestyles all legit?

fatboybrandon
10-15-2010, 09:53 PM
4lHwQa68HIo

Check out this clip of Nas freestyling off the dome before Illmatic came out, then later in the episode he recites some lyrics off the album.

There is an audio clip of an outtake from the original session for Life's A Bitch where he messes up his verse and then just starts freestyling the rest joined by AZ. I don't see it on YouTube but I can upload it later.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-15-2010, 09:56 PM
aighttt coooool thank fam.

misawa98
10-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Thing is only a small number of MC's can actually go off the top and actually be dope as well. Check this from Life MC. Straight dope, 6 mins of just spitting off the dome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ZPBU9C8-8

Sinapse
10-16-2010, 01:53 PM
There is always lotta discussion bout this with several artists. Freestyle artists that are known for that primarily usually aren't emcees that write studio albums, or at least not good ones (Juice, Supernatural, etc etc). There will be argument there but anyway, writers are writers and freestylers are freestylers for the most part. That doesn't mean cats like Nas can't freestyle, they prob can but it's unpredictable - unless they were to work on it all the time as part of their stage set or w/e, but in most cases with great writers their freestyles will never be as dope as their writtens, and the vast majority of listeners only care how dope it sounds not whether it was a genuine freestyle. So I can see why they would stick to spitting verses.

Shogah
10-16-2010, 02:00 PM
^

Co-sign. If you really want of the dome performance, check supernatural videos. That is some live shit, and it's always different. That is true freestyle mc, even krs-one said that when it comes to freestyle, he can't touch him. And plus, you must have in mind that freestyle era when people were spitting on the streets is long gone so you can't expect the same in 2010 where many collaborations are on internet and hip hop is more on the internet than on the streets.

Writers are writers and freestylers are freestylers.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Juice got some nice songs, but his freestyles are better. Supernatular is crazy with it...

One of the best rappers who can freestyle off the dome is Pharaohe Monch.

My favourite group of freestylers gotta be The [DefJux] Orphanage - the lineup is Eyedea, Illogic, Blueprint, Sage Francis, Slug & Aesop Rock. I love their albums, love their freestyles... Eyedea can outrap off the dome any song most dudes got out.

I know Immortal Tech can rap off the dome. Actually, I like his freestyles [including battles] more than his solo shit sometimes.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
10-16-2010, 02:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

i remember immortal technique ripped postaboy back in the day on 106 & park, yet postaboy won cuz of crowd support whom wouldn't know a freestyle if it smacked them upside the dome piece imo lmao

technique is a beast freestyler so was big pun he's flow freestyle was the same as his written shit but pun's written was way sicker

and no biggie and jay-z don't count cuz they write off the dome

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Apathy had some nice moments here and there, altho I never heard a freestyle of his that wouldn't use one of his lines, but hey, at least he never fails with the flows

the apathy&sage freestyle was dope.

hey, I don't play
I jerk in a cup and sell it on e-bay

EAGLE EYE
10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
ive seen supernatural do his thing live at a small venue. that kid is amazing.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
10-16-2010, 07:48 PM
LMAOOOO, I've realised most of the good freestylers are white. The best of them are black but most of the good ones are white. Not that theres anything wrong with it.

EAGLE EYE
10-16-2010, 08:01 PM
the best golfer in the world isn't white.

so who cares

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-17-2010, 04:39 AM
There are different kind of rappers all around the world. I can freestyle off the dome [poorly as far as flow is concerned, still a beginner of some sort] and I write a lot of shit, and a lot of my friends are really good on both parts.

I know Wordsworth, Rise and Cymarshall Law can rap off the dome too.