PDA

View Full Version : Solar Records Owner Dick Griffey Died

CharlesJones
10-16-2010, 12:56 PM
He was 66 years old and he died from complications of quadruple bypass surgery. I wanna thank Dick for starting Solar records because the label was home to some good black artists such as Shalamar, Lakeside, The Whispers, The Deele(Babyface and LA Reid was with this group), Midnight Star. The label was called Soul Train records at first and Dick was a talent coordinator for Soul Train tv show. Him and Don Corneileus discovered Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels of Shalamar because they were dancers on Soul Train. RIP Dick.

Eventhorizon
10-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Solaar also released the "Deep Cover" soundtrack I believe......... Either way he was involved with it, I seen a dvd with him interviewed about Death Row, he was supposed to be Suge's partner till Interscope muscled him out........ "Welcome to Death Row" is the name of it

R.I.P

CharlesJones
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think Solar released Deep Cover soundtrack. I think Interscope records put that out. I remember Dr Dre saying in a old interview that the former Death Row artists recorded their albums at Solar records studios. Solar to me was the best black record label in the 80's because of the artists Dick had. R&B music has been boring after those artists i mentioned disappeared that were on Solar. Midnight Star, Lakeside, The Deele, Shalamar, The Whispers did a lot of classic jams and nobody in r&b for the last 2 decades has made jams like those artists. I really miss the funk artists of the 70's and 80's. R&B will never be good anymore like back in the day. It's funny to me the r&b artists that are out now think they're good when their music sucks LOL.