PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Design vs Chance

grt05
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
ba2h9tqNYAo

EAGLE EYE
10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
WOW

It was only a matter of time before the advocates of intelligent design attempted to game google search results and outright lie and twist Darwin's words.

That's kind of an embarrassing technique or fall back when one can't engage in a rational debate.

Robert
10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Lol, this is brilliant. Repped.

Uncle Steezo
10-23-2010, 07:01 AM
sounds like a bunch of atheist butthurt groaning.
intelligent design vs atheist debates remind me of US rep vs dem debates.

as an "academic" he should be ashamed to even present his complexity rebuttal.

Robert
10-23-2010, 07:18 AM
sounds like a bunch of atheist butthurt groaning.

intelligent design vs atheist debates remind me of US rep vs dem debates.

as an "academic" he should be ashamed to even present his complexity rebuttal.

To some extent I agree with this. The debate itself is essentially circular and never goes anywhere.

However, I think people like this guy are important and need to be vigilant given the consequences of not confronting organizations like the Discovery Institute, given what they are pushing for.

The only reason academics go out of their way to argue against people who's understanding of biology is on a preschool level (this is somewhat of a generalisation), is because they feel their own life is negatively impacted by the actions of a vocal fundamentalist few (or many).

That, and they like inflating their egos/enjoy ridiculing imbeciles.

theheavens
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
before Darwin, there was nothing

Uncle Steezo
10-24-2010, 11:37 AM
To some extent I agree with this. The debate itself is essentially circular and never goes anywhere.

However, I think people like this guy are important and need to be vigilant given the consequences of not confronting organizations like the Discovery Institute, given what they are pushing for.

The only reason academics go out of their way to argue against people who's understanding of biology is on a preschool level (this is somewhat of a generalisation), is because they feel their own life is negatively impacted by the actions of a vocal fundamentalist few (or many).

That, and they like inflating their egos/enjoy ridiculing imbeciles.

what kind of negative impact? i cant see it being negative on either side. science is still moving forward, religion is still moving backward. IMO nobody is holding anyone back.

Cthulhu
10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
what kind of negative impact? i cant see it being negative on either side. science is still moving forward, religion is still moving backward. IMO nobody is holding anyone back.

Yes, but scientific research and education relies on funding from institutions and the public. In places where ignorance prevails, schools teach bollocks "science" and real science doesn't get the funding it needs to move forward, or else money is wasted on bogus agenda-driven "research" (like people trying to find Noah's Ark and shit like that). That's why academics bother to debate people like that. And, probably, to boost their own egos.

(But in the process, it helps make the demagogues look like fools, and we all know people are more afraid of looking foolish than educating themselves. If you can knock an idiot out of the running for being a trustworthy source of public information, I say you've done the world a favor).

Robert
10-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Don't act like the fundamentalist christian right doesn't have a profound (or potential, depending on how you look at it) negative impact on science teaching/research in the USA.

Uncle Steezo
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
stem cell research...approved
cloning...approved
abortion...approved

the fundrightxtains make alot of noise but don't have much say when it comes to progress in the milindustrial complex or big pharma or agrabiz or any other money making institution

Sense-A
10-28-2010, 05:07 PM
The universe was intelligently designed. What sort of force would even cause matter to arrange itself in ever-more-complex fashion over trillions of years? Why would chaos organize itself? Divine design. God wrote the code for math, physics, science, etc. Just because a few people figure out some of God's building blocks they want to think that THEY are GOD and that GOD doesn't exist anymore. What a bunch of bullocks. Science is good but when you become so fascinated with science that you forget your creator, you've pissed everything away.

whitey
10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
The universe was intelligently designed. What sort of force would even cause matter to arrange itself in ever-more-complex fashion over trillions of years? Why would chaos organize itself? Divine design. God wrote the code for math, physics, science, etc. Just because a few people figure out some of God's building blocks they want to think that THEY are GOD and that GOD doesn't exist anymore. What a bunch of bullocks. Science is good but when you become so fascinated with science that you forget your creator, you've pissed everything away.

nah son. its called a lucky break.

Clan Destine
10-28-2010, 10:56 PM

The universe is expanding and will continue to do so, until there is almost an immense sparse blackness. Entropy is increasing. The time frame in which we live with this kind of complexity, is puny compared to the relative nothingness on either side. What kind of design is that?

Uncle Steezo
10-28-2010, 11:19 PM
many entropy theories are ignorant of darkmatterenergy.

we may just be witnessing a very looooooong cycke between the two realms.

WARPATH
10-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Nobody knows shit. Not on either end of the debate. Everyone's pissing on each other in the dark.

pro.Graveface
10-30-2010, 05:36 AM
the "life force energy" consistz of "love", non-duality, we are like cancer on a perfect organism (ego), ego is the decease of this universe (1 of the multiverses), its a good thing we dont know sjit (kuz knowing all is misleading : its nuthing , it leads to delusion) it not about indivigualz its about all as 1, we experience the illusion of samsara(the divine reality), enjoy the ride and be happy , Tink I am 1 of the godz and godesses and not I am god (if ya follow the god program), we all have the same father and that is the father Sun "the creator" creator of the sun :life force "Light energy" this collabz with the "Dark energy" with matter as there kidz

Clan Destine
10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Nobody knows shit. Not on either end of the debate. Everyone's pissing on each other in the dark.

I'm fine with this. I'm fine with I don't know, let's keep looking, let's try stuff out etc.

I'm not cool with people telling me how shit is in the everyday when they're making assumptions about the infinite.

Sense-A
10-30-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't see how you can even argue that the universe is growing "nothingness." I see anything but nothingness. I see beautiful intelligent design everywhere. Thank GOD.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-31-2010, 12:18 AM

Its because Chaos and Order are illusions. Those are how humans observe things. When the human mind observes something it is converting what is actually chaos into something mathematical which is ordered. You can look at space and see a bunch of rocks floating around aimlessly, or you can observe, measure, and understand the forces that drive them to float "aimlessly." There are patterns in everything.

Chaos is what is. Order is what mankind shapes. Humanity is dualistic. With one hand we build and order our creation with the other we wash it away. That is the Chaos. For every step forward we step right back. Everything is math. When Mos Def says "It's all mathematics" he's never been more right. Everything that humanity is involves our attempt to order chaos.

The God of the bible isn't an actual being. He's the human spirit in the mirror. The only God for mankind is a human God. The face of God is the face of the beholder. God says "Let there be light, and there was light, and it was good." That's humanity in a sentence.

Man wants order, we create order, Order is good. At a fundamental level we require things to "make sense." The really cool thing, they do. But we need science to get to that understanding.

Science can tell you who did what, where, when, and how. But "Why" will always be the question we can't answer. "Why" is the magic question. I don't think "Why" has an answer. I think "Why" is an illusion. "Why" more then any other question implies that very order we need. We need a reason why. Think about it, there is never an answer to the question "why?" Little kids ask why and you give them an answer and they question that with equal boldness. There isn't a reason. We can come up with BS answers but at the end of the day there isn't an answer. I don't believe in God because God is a weak answer to a question that I don't think can have one.

Why is a question only we can answer. There isn't an objective answer. Its very subjective. There will never be an answer to "Why are we here?" unless we decide for ourselves. Why is the realm of philosophy, not science. Science is the pursuit of knowledge. Philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom. Logos and Ethos. Facts and opinions.

Frank Sobotka
10-31-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't see how you can even argue that the universe is growing "nothingness." I see anything but nothingness. I see beautiful intelligent design everywhere. Thank GOD.
Why do I need a pillow if we are a product of intelligent design?

grt05
11-05-2010, 05:06 PM
hahha ^..nice.
STUPID DESIGN.
p_nqySMvkcw

LORD NOSE
11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
every thing is formed by intelligence

we came from
something that was alive with a mind somewhere

in the beginning they didn't have the limits that you do, they came from the pure source

not bound to the time

pro.Graveface
11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
its like what came first the chicken or the egg!

chicken of course!