PDA

View Full Version : Purest form of scriptures

JASPER BEARDLY
11-01-2010, 01:40 AM
What are the purest forms? I've always been interested in reading all of the holy texts but I do not know where to begin. Take Christianity for example, do I read the King James version? The New American Bible? But I am not only referencing Christianity, as it is just a piece to the puzzle.

Face of the Golden Falcon
11-01-2010, 02:44 AM
If you cant read the scripture in it's original language then try to get a version that is translated by an unbiased source that's is as close in english as possible. I'd recommend LAMSA's translation of the Bible which is translated from earlier copies of the Bible works written in Aramaic.

Interpretation of the meaning of scripture is another part of the puzzle. You have to study the particular culture it came from and the way in which they used certain words and the style in which they wrote.

Don't be afraid to form your own interpretation as well. It matters not whether the author was thinking along the same lines, if it helps you trive toward rightouesness then its doing its job.

HETEPU

pro.Graveface
11-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Ashtavakra

MrDiamondFDC
11-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Latin is the best language to read scriptures in if possible.

Face of the Golden Falcon
11-01-2010, 03:06 AM
^ why?

...And he's talking about all scripture. Not much good reading the Tao Te Ching in Latin. :)

HETEPU

JASPER BEARDLY
11-01-2010, 03:26 AM
Thank you that was a good post Face.

Any recommendations for Quaran, bhagavad gita, etc?

Hellspawn
11-01-2010, 07:22 AM
There's only one unique single copy of the Quran in arabic, as for the english translations I'm not an expert but I like this one : http://www.quran-islam.org/main_topics/quran/quran_in_english_%28P1223%29.html
Peace

TheBoarzHeadBoy
11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Read the Torah in the Hebrew, the Evangelion in the Common Greek, and the Koran in the Arabic.
Obviously you want to read the scriptures in their original format. Islam and Judaism actually do that. Christians tend not to because they're reading things in a mash up.

I mean most Christians have to read the OT in English which was translated from Latin, from Greek, from Hebrew, and they lose the flavor of the language. I can't claim to speak Hebrew, but I'm fluent in English, I can read Latin pretty well, and next to no Greek (the letters barrier screws with my head more then the words which I can kind of pick at because of the Latin. I even know the letters, but it makes me feel dyslexic.)

Dokuro
11-01-2010, 01:42 PM
What are the purest forms? I've always been interested in reading all of the holy texts but I do not know where to begin. Take Christianity for example, do I read the King James version? The New American Bible? But I am not only referencing Christianity, as it is just a piece to the puzzle.

considering the bible is of Israel orgin id say Hebrew for the fist part (Torah)

and the (new testament) was writing in Aramaic that the catholic church destroyed after rewriting id say Latin would be as closest as you can get for the second part (new testament)

for the third part (Qur'an) your in luck you can go to the store and but it to day in its original text

Urban_Journalz
11-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Just make sure after you read them, you try to live them. Don't be one of those people who reads it just to appear intelligent in front of others.

Dokuro
11-01-2010, 02:27 PM
please don't try and live them study them then trash them the last thing we need is another person going around contradicting them self

Yahweh is full of shit

TheBoarzHeadBoy
11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
considering the bible is of Israel orgin id say Hebrew for the fist part (Torah)

and the (new testament) was writing in Aramaic that the catholic church destroyed after rewriting id say Latin would be as closest as you can get for the second part (new testament)

for the third part (Qur'an) your in luck you can go to the store and but it to day in its original text

It was written in Koine Greek. Aramaic? That's like a Jordanian dialect... they may have spoken Aramaic, I doubt they were recording stuff in it. If anything important was being written it was going to be in Koine. That's what he church fathers wrote in.

Dokuro
11-01-2010, 06:16 PM
It was written in Koine Greek. Aramaic? That's like a Jordanian dialect... they may have spoken Aramaic, I doubt they were recording stuff in it. If anything important was being written it was going to be in Koine. That's what he church fathers wrote in.
probably the new testament not really on my radar that much the Cathys have fucked with it so much you couldn't really find the real thing unless you raid their library that is a definite unknown but you to shouldn't put much wait one that one ether

i mean who actually knows the other 5 commandment beside me and few other people i will give you a taste

"those who preach the word of god shall live in poverty" those Cathys hate that one

pro.Graveface
11-03-2010, 12:05 PM
yo jus start with Ashtavakra Samhita, ya might not even wanna start with the other 1s

cutn' heads
11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
read dianetics by l. ron hubbard, in latvian.

JASPER BEARDLY
11-04-2010, 12:10 AM
what are other good translations in english besides the quran one mentioned?

Iron Ninja
11-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Caliph Umar, the third caliph after the death of The Prophet had various different versions of The Holy Quran that had arisen since Muhammads passing destroyed and had the one he approved off set in stone as 'the official' copy of the book...

Umar was corrupt and hellbent on stopping Ali from ever assuming his position, which lead to the initial sunni/shia split and murder of The Prophets relatives.

Just thought this was worth pointing out.

edit: I only have one english copy of The Holy Quran, and it was done by a guy named J.M. Rodwell, who I know very little of, but the one I'll be picking up next will the Yusef Ali translation w/ his commentary - alot of people seem to like it.

Fatal Guillotine
11-13-2010, 07:06 PM
propz to the T/S for making this thread(i often ask myself the same thing)

to contribute

Avesta
Complete text and translation of the scriptures of the Zoroastrian religion.

WARPATH
11-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Pick up that Wu-Tang Forever Double CD. That's all the education you'll ever need. You won't even have to go to summer school.

spiggity_ace
11-14-2010, 02:02 AM
heres a english translation of the guru granth sahib if ur interested.

http://www.sikhnet.com/oldsikhnet/sggs/translation/0001.html

pro.Graveface
11-14-2010, 12:36 PM
heres a english translation of the guru granth sahib if ur interested.

http://www.sikhnet.com/oldsikhnet/sggs/translation/0001.html

yeah I can get this THANX yo
ICHI

Hellspawn
11-15-2010, 06:31 AM
Caliph Umar, the third caliph after the death of The Prophet had various different versions of The Holy Quran that had arisen since Muhammads passing destroyed and had the one he approved off set in stone as 'the official' copy of the book...

Umar was corrupt and hellbent on stopping Ali from ever assuming his position, which lead to the initial sunni/shia split and murder of The Prophets relatives.

Are you tryin to deform history ?

1-Umar hasnt different versions, the Quran wasnt compiled yet at that time. There was different scriptures belonging to different people especially from the companions of the prophets. Once all was compiled and all the scholars approved each and every word of it, the rest was thrown away.

2-Umar have chosen six people so the muslims can chose their leader amongst them, these men are : Zubeir Ibn El Aaouem, Talha Ibn Oubeid Allah, Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas, Abd Ar Rahman Ibn Aouf, Othman Ibn Affan and Ali Ibn Abi Taleb. He died before they chose three then one from these three (the first three desisted and Abd Ar Rahman Ibn Aouf asked if he can be the judge between Ali and Othman and they both accepted. Othman was chosen and Ali was the one who reigned after him). So how can Umar be a corrupt person ?

Fatal Guillotine
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
i feel like this shoud be sticky (shrugz)

okay what is the best translation of the hadith (sahih?) and the sunnah?

Fatal Guillotine
11-24-2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/index.htm

the torah

Fatal Guillotine
11-25-2010, 08:00 PM
why isnt this stickied?