PDA

View Full Version : piano/violins/etc mono or stereo?

KAY ONE
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
i'm new to beat making and i still can't work out what sounds better, having the orchestra stabs in mono or stereo sound. any ideas? they were recorded in stereo.

when theyre in stereo it sonds big like ice cube and when they're in mono it sounds sorta lo-fi. is it just personal preference?

Professor Poopsnagle
11-22-2010, 06:46 PM
My preference is to push them slightly more into one direction and reverb them more into the other direction. You can merge the stereo and mono signal so it's not as wide. I don't know what DAW you use, but I could help you in FL Studio.

KAY ONE
11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
im using FL. thanks man i was afraid this was going to be a stupid question. theres a lot i dont know but too afraid to ask.
i like ur idea. i put reverb on them and it made a huge difference but i how do i make it reverb in just one direction? using "Fruity Reverb" btw

fatboybrandon
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
I think both sound good at times depending on how the producer used it. In certain records from the 70's I hear those instruments panned more to one side than another. I think of that part of music like the composition of a painting or photograph, the artist places certain parts according to their level of importance within the whole.

If you want to leave room within the frequency spectrum for another sound you can adjust it's stereo image with a tool like Reason's Stereo Imager to be more wide or mono right in the middle, that's one purpose of choosing between mono or stereo. Or if it's a sample there might be some detail in the stereo field you want to keep so don't convert to mono or you'll lose it.

Professor Poopsnagle
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Put the reverb plug in an empty mixer insert and then click on the insert that has the stabs. Now when you look at the mixer, there's an FX button on the reverb insert, above it there's some kind of arrow looking icon, click it. Now you can use the insert you put the reverb on to pan to whichever direction you want.

I hope you understand what I mean.

KAY ONE
11-23-2010, 12:13 AM
thanks iove. yeah i get how to do that.
i only been at for about a month. another thing i am wondering is how do i fade in/out in fruity loops? and how do i make an echo other than using the delay filter?
also is it possible for people to eventually make studio quality beats on fruity loops or should i get rid of it and try something else like reason? i heard a FL beat will always sound like a FL beat.

i didnt want to make a new thread for this but i made this today can you give me some critiques. it isnt finished yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0wFlgSVBug

Mumm Ra
11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
its all in how you EQ and master as far as it sounding 'like an FL beat'
i know myself iove and others have pumped out some sick shit with FL
you'll run into the exact same thing with reason - you still gotta know how to EQ and such

also
i didn't even know how to do that reverb panning either lol

Professor Poopsnagle
11-23-2010, 10:15 AM
I think both sound good at times depending on how the producer used it. In certain records from the 70's I hear those instruments panned more to one side than another. I think of that part of music like the composition of a painting or photograph, the artist places certain parts according to their level of importance within the whole.

If you want to leave room within the frequency spectrum for another sound you can adjust it's stereo image with a tool like Reason's Stereo Imager to be more wide or mono right in the middle, that's one purpose of choosing between mono or stereo. Or if it's a sample there might be some detail in the stereo field you want to keep so don't convert to mono or you'll lose it.
This!