PDA

View Full Version : Think Differently Music: Wu-Tang meets the Indie Culture (Review)

num2son
10-14-2005, 09:41 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/num2son/00-va-think_differently_music_prese.jpg

01. Introduction (5/5) Dope beat (Produced Bronze)

02. Lyrical Swords (5/5) Gza and Ras Kass shined on this song the beat was dope also)
[Performed by GZA/Genius, and Ras Kass]
[Produced by Bronze]

03. Slow Blues (4/5) (A nice rugged track the blues guitar was dope)
[Performed by Timbo King, Prodigal Sunn, Vast Aire, and Byata]
[Produced by Bronze]

04. Still Grimey (4/5) (The only thing I didnt like about this song was the corus, but is a good song)
[Performed by U-God, Prodigal Sunn, Sean Price, and C-Rayz Walz]
[Produced by Perservasion]

05. Skit (I dont think this skit goes along with the album) (Its bruce lee teaching some kid not to think but to feel..LOL.)

06. Think Differently (4.5/5) (I like the beat the artists put it on this song nicely)
[Performed by Casual, Rock Marciano, Vordul Mega, and Tragedy Khadafi]
[Produced by Bronze]

07. Informercial (I'm rating the beat on this one (4.5/5) (Skit)
[Performed by *Jim Jarmush] (Produced by Perservation)

08. Biochemical Equation (3.5/5) (I'm not feeling this track that much and MF Doom was ok, Rza added a verse on the end which was dope.)
[Performed by The RZA, and MF Doom]
[Produced by Rza]

09. O.D.B. Tribute (Very Nice tribute to Russel Jones-aka-O.D.B.) (rating the beat 3.5/5)
[Performed by J Noize]
[Produced by Bronze]

10. Fragments (I really didnt like the beat that much I think I heard it before, Del was ok 3/5)
[Performed by Del The Funky Homosapien]
[Produced by Bronze]

11. Intermission (Just another great beat 5/5) (Produced by Fred One)

12. Street Corners (Good song but a little to slow for me, 3.5/5)
[Performed by Bronze Nazareth, Solomon Childs, and *Byata]
[Produced by Bronze]

13. Listen (Dope song, doper beat 5/5)
[Performed by Littles, Khalid, and Planet Asia]
[Produced by Bronze]

14. Informercial 2 (Another good beat, 4/5)
[Performed by Jim Jarmush] (Produced Perservation)

15. Verses (Very nice beat but slow everyone came of nice on this song 5/5) (Gza had the best verse)
[Performed by La The Darkman, GZA/Genius, Scaramanga Shallah, and Ras Kas]
[Produced by DJ Noize]

16. Preservation (I thought this song was average (3.5/5)
[Performed by Aesop Rock, and Del Tha Funky Homosapien]
[Produced by Perservation]

17. Cars On The Interstate (I thought this was the best beat on the album 4.5/5)
[C.C.F Division]
[Performed by Freemurder, Shacronz, and Terra Tory]
[Produced by Mathematics]

18. Give It Up (Average song again J-live and R.A. The Rugged Man did their best with the beat 4/5)
[Performed by J-Live, and R.A. The Rugged Man]
[Produced by Perservation]

19. Black Dawn (I'm not feeling the beat on this one Bronze lyricz were good 3.5/5
[Performed by Bronze Nazareth ]
[Produced by Bronze Nazareth]

I give a review tommorrow, After I here the album a couple of times.

OVERALL I'LL GIVE IT A 8/10
Bronze did a good job on the beats he made.

Songs to look at for:
Lyrical Swordz
Listen
Verses
Cars on the Interstate

Skippable:
Fragments
Perservasion

Tracks 1,2,3,6,9,10, 12,13,19 produced by Bronze
Tracks 4, 7, 14, 16, 18 produced by Preservation
Track 8 produced by RZA
Track 11 produced by Fred One
Track 15 produced by DJ Noize
Track 17 produced by Mathematics
Track 5 is a skit

M-Eighty
10-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Preservation produced "Still Grimey" not RZA.

JasonD
10-15-2005, 03:41 AM
Instrumental - Introduction
A nice beat with the HBO starting thingy. Sort of a wasted beat because it is nice. No rating...

GZA & Ras Kass - Lyrical Swords
Probably nicest beat on CD, GZA and Ras Kass; best collabo. Both of their verses are amazing. This is a bit disappointing though that they both only have one verse and the rest of the song is the beat. But they still both have amazing verses regardless. 9.5/10

Vast Aire, Timbo King, Prodigal Sunn, & Byata - Slow Blues
I like everyone on this track. The beat is pretty nice not "normal" rap beat. Everyone has hot verses. Some sick lyrics though, Vast is really nice on this. It is a little slow going but I am feelin' it. 8.5/10

Sean Price, U-God, C-Rayz Walz, & Prodigal Sunn - Still Grimey
This is a pretty nice collabo, really nice track but not too great... 7/10

Bruce Lee - Skit
Skit. Not rating...

Casual, Rock Marciano, Vordual Mega, & Tragedy Khadafi - Think Differently
Probably the best beat on the album. This is sick as hell. I don't think anyone could sound bad on this beat. Plus everyone has pretty nice verses. 9.5/10

Jim Jarmusch - Infomercial #1
Not rating...

RZA & MF Doom - Biochemical Equation
I like this beat, this is a pretty nice track. MF Doom sounds out of place on this but he still gets a nice verse in. RZA's second verse is weird as f*ck. This song has nice lyrics but they are sort of all over the place. 8/10

DJ Noize - O.D.B. Tribute
Nice cutting but not a real song. Just cutting and inserts of sh*t Wu members have said in song making a tribute, not rating... RIP ODB.

Del The Funky Homosapien - Fragments
Not a great beat. Depends, if you like Del's weird as style, you might like this. I actually like this because it is unique from the whole CD. His flow and style are really different and nice. He spits some real weird and unique sh*t on this song... Something makes this real nice, would be better with a nicer beat. 8.5/10

Think Differently - Intermission Skit
Weird... Not rating.

Bronze Nazareth, Solomon Childs, & Byata - Street Corners
Bronze produced most of this album and did a tight job but his rapping isn't so tight. Solomon is tight as hell and his verse is veryyy nice and pretty deep. Byata is pretty nice too, best female emcee (along with Jean Grae). 7.5/10

Littles, Khalid, & Planet Asia - Listen
Not bad but not too good. Planet is pretty good other two are just okay. And this beat pisses me off. 6/10

Jim Jarmusch - Infomercial #2
Not rating...

La The Darkman, Scaramanga, Shallah, Ras Kass, & GZA - Verses
One of the sickest songs, I have ever heard. This beat is craaazy. This line up is legendary. I loveee this beat. Darkman is one of the most underrated and craziest rapper. Ras Kass is one of my favourite rappers. GZA is my favourite. Whoever Shallah is, he rips this track aswell. This is just like the craziest collabo. No one spits anything even remotely weak, all DEEP verses. 11/10 =p

Aesop Rock & Del The Funky Homosapien - Preservation
Not a classic beat. But a damn nice song, if you like these two artists a lot, this is probably a classic to you. 8.5/10

C.C.F. Division - Cars On The Interstate...
If this wasn't underground this would be considerated the club song. Quick beat, quick spits. A okay song. 6.5/10

J-Live & R.A. The Rugged Man - Give It Up
I love this beat and RA spits one of his best career verses. His flow on this, is one of the best ever. He just doesn't stop, it is amazing. And it is still his weird verses sayin' odd things like "All that sh*t you heard about me, is probably true. Heard I got the AIDS virus, I probably do." J-Live has a nice verse but doesn't seem so nice going after RA's amazing verse. 9.5/10

Bronze Nazareth - Back Down
One of the illest producers trying to rap, sort of like 4th Disicple rapping. You are better than the average mainstream rapper. But when you are rapping with people like Ras, GZA, MF Doom etc. You sound pretty sh*tty. Plus his flow is bad (decent lyrics though) 6/10

Overall: 8/10, couple tracks skippable, rest are nice. Got me into some artists I didn't really listen too much...

Endemic
10-15-2005, 03:48 AM
^ i dont agree with ur thoughts on bronzes raps kid

JasonD
10-15-2005, 03:52 AM
Well, he isn't too bad, as I said. But when there is these other amazing artists he doesn't sound too good.

Dr Zayus
10-15-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm a huge fan of that Del track. That sing-song flow that he kicks before every verse is INSANE. I like Biochemical Equation now that RZA added drums to his second verse and it sounds much much better mastered. Bronze definitely impressed me, along with the other producers on the album - overall, very very satisfying.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Bronze got ill lyrics, his verses on this album are dope, the guys who said his mcing isn't that hot is straight tripping, Black Dawn and Street Corners are piff. He spits some nice multis. I can't wait for his solo album, he sounds like a cross between Timbo and Ghost in terms of voice, but he's got his own lyrical style, he has some intelligent lyrics and some obscure references.

jayeye
10-16-2005, 12:02 AM
does anyone know a full list of the production?

JasonD
10-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Bronze is actually real nice on Street Corners but I am not feeling him too much on Back Down.

Mark
10-16-2005, 06:45 AM
This Cd Is Slammin. Its Mad Dope.

Konii blaze
10-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Tracks 1,2,3,6,9,10, 12,13,19 produced by Bronze
Tracks 4, 7, 14, 16, 18 produced by Preservation
Track 8 produced by RZA
Track 11 produced by Fred One
Track 15 produced by DJ Noize
Track 17 produced by Mathematics
Track 5 is a skit

Cm0ney
10-16-2005, 10:05 AM
wow i figured rza would produce more than one song...

Ian F
10-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Anyone know if this has a UK release?

deadlymelody
10-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Damn Bronze is all over this album. I havent been paying a fucks worth of attention to this album, is it out in stores now?

Cm0ney
10-17-2005, 10:04 PM
comes out tomorrow

Bloo
10-18-2005, 01:31 AM
I just have one thing to say about this CD....

THIS IS HOW WU-TANG IS SUPPOSED TO SOUND!!!!!!

Meth, Deck, Ghost, and especially U-God need to take notes and STUDY!!!

Str8 fire. Beats haven't been this good on a clan project in a minute. Thanks Bronze & Preservation!! You've given me another reason to blow my Fosgate

crass
10-18-2005, 01:43 AM
can't wait to cop this tomorrow

talassi
10-18-2005, 06:31 PM
bronze did an incredible job with the production

and i'm surprised that 3 of the top tracks came from preservation, where is he from?

THE W
10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
great production on this album but the lyrics are very lackluster. bronze is official! 4 skippables...may vary.

edit: that extra Rza verse was wack! he shoulda left it off.

7/10

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-18-2005, 06:55 PM
great production on this album but the lyrics are very lackluster. bronze is official! 4 skippables...may vary.

7/10
I agree there are some lackluster lyrics on the album, but there are very lyrical tracks like slow blues, lyrical swords, street corners, verses, black dawn. I think bronze nazareth and gza shined the most on this album lyrically. solomon childs really surprised me with his verse on street corners tho. I'd give it 8.5/10

voodoodrew
10-18-2005, 10:54 PM
i actually liked this. got it today at circuit city, and have been wearing it out in my jeep. got some good trax, and i actually listened to it all the way through without skipping anything. lyrical swords is deadly! i was driving and didn't really get a chance to pay attention to the lyrics all the way through, but it'll hold me over til ghostface and gza's albums!

Bloo
10-18-2005, 11:25 PM
bronze did an incredible job with the production

and i'm surprised that 3 of the top tracks came from preservation, where is he from?
Well according to an interview I read with Dreddy. Preservation is a new Wu-Tang producer

digitalsouljah36
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
edit: that extra Rza verse was wack! he shoulda left it off.

7/10
I agree with this. The original un-mastered i-pod version is way better. For me, this was the weakest track on the album. Overall, I'd give this album a 9/10.

funky_tooth
10-20-2005, 01:04 AM
The hell with the track by track review when all that really needs to be said is this is one of the best cd's in a long time.One of the few cd's that doesn't have any low points and is already a hip hop classic,must have cd in my opinion.Now all we need is a new wu tang clan album.

wampus
10-20-2005, 01:22 AM
no far to be excellent, very very good tracks except still grimey, biochemical equation and Del's song IMO. but the rest is baanggaaaa. GZA riped Verses and Lyrical Swords. I was very disapointed by the RZA/mf doom track, they seem to be not enjoy to do it, just doing for the fan but not for themselves...

ShaolinDarts
10-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Its too early to write a review as I haven't really heard this album enough times yet but I can see this being something I will listen to a fair bit for the next few months along with Grandmasters till new Wu stuff starts to appear.

I actually love that track with Aesop on it. Its quite funky.

Golden_Armz
10-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Whats the name of the beat thats on the RZA Indie Promo when this site launches, its sick???

and yes that Biochemical is kind of whack as much as i hate sayin it....

Doom fine but RZA verse n beat not very good, and thats the only beat he made!!! c'mon now!!

Lesbian Nun
10-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm extremely impressed with the Bronze Nazareth sound...

I'm fucking very very impressed...this album continues to grow on me daily...every song comes at you every different day in a different way, and you get slayed...

bronze is pure pure official...

SHRAP
10-23-2005, 06:00 PM
i only heard biochemical equation and that shit was like a 1/5... it woulda been better as an instrumental... so hows the other tracks compared to that one

Lesbian Nun
10-23-2005, 06:07 PM
^all better...biochemical equation is the worst mc'ing on the whole album...

Golden_Armz
10-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Any answers to my question?

Peace

num2son
10-23-2005, 07:07 PM
^^^06. Think Differently (4.5/5) (I like the beat the artists put it on this song nicely)
[Produced by Bronze]

Literate Type Asshole
10-24-2005, 10:26 AM
this isnt a great album, its mostly let down by some weak rhymin here and there, but the beats are really good and generally cats came correct. definitely much, much better than the vast majority of recent wu releases

Golden_Armz
10-24-2005, 10:29 AM
^^^06. Think Differently (4.5/5) (I like the beat the artists put it on this song nicely)
[Produced by Bronze]
thanks g

Hidden Chamber
10-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Yo dis album is definitely worth copin'

WU-KILLAH
11-15-2005, 03:22 AM
After having read a lot of reviews, I thought this album would be average... well actually it's waaay above average. That's the kind of shit I've been waiting since NSD. I prefer the production here than in Grandmasters. This is hip hop how I like it: 8,5/10

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
02-06-2006, 05:51 PM
I Thought This Was Pretty Good Every Track Had A Great Feel To It

4-Bar Killer
02-06-2006, 06:05 PM
really liked this album, nothing outstanding thoug, but in top 10 album of 2005 imo.

Best tracks

Lyrical Swords (both gza & ras kass killed it. kass took the show tho)
Still Grimey (u-god showed that he can drop fire when he want. "The rap cuisine, I crack a raw egg and flex" - that line was so ill.
Biochemical education (many has mixed opinions, but I liked it)
Verses (yeah! produced by danish dj noize, maybe track of the album)

8/10, needed some more wu-heads. I missed christbearer and some killarmy members.. having streetlife and cappa on the album would be dope too..

1-love

infamous2702
02-07-2006, 02:16 AM
The album is a little boring, I like Del but his shit on this cd is really off. RA the Rugged Man kills it onthis and gives the best performance. Worth the purchase overall though. ..... Biochemical Equation = good beat....lazy performances.

M-Eighty
04-15-2006, 10:47 PM
The Source Best Independent Albums of '05: Wu-Tang Meets the Indie Culture (Dreddy Kruger-TDMG), Grandmasters (GZA), Monkey Barz (Sean Price), and A.W.O.L (AZ), & Dangerdoom (Doom/Danger Mouse)...Props to the SOurce for the Recognition...THE EAST IS IN THE HOUSE!

wufan10304
04-16-2006, 12:10 AM
i thought this cd was great. 4.5 out of 5..i enjoyed this alot

snakesonawiggly
01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Dope album, but I was Dreddy would of spit at least one verse.

Leo Angel
01-06-2007, 05:00 AM
8,5/10, 9 for beats and 8 for lyrics.

best song: Verses

wuswordz95
01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
i like the album onl one unbearable track. its kinda boring album. but i like it

2L8Lit da croatianMC
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
To me that album is really dope, and it's a classic.

Xipe Totec
03-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Biochemical Equation, Street Corners and Give It Up are my tracks.

I'd love to hear more of Preservations beats, I'm sure he worked on The 5% Album too, but that's the only other thing that comes to my mind - is he on anything else of late?

Is the beat on Biochecmical Equation the same as that "Ice" song from Bulletproof Wallets?

Just slowed down?

WuGambino
03-10-2007, 06:39 PM
I finally copped this CD today, and now I wonder why I hadn't earlier.

The majority of the album is straight fire, my favourites are probably Lyrical Swords and the Aesop Rock and J-Live joints.

The quality of the production surprised me alot, it is outstanding. :spin:

:cool:

buckshotstheone
04-16-2007, 09:52 PM
true classic, wu tang is still alive and this is the proof

PANDA PISS
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Great album, I fail to see how a Rap fan with even the slightest leaning towards Wu could not like this. And it should make you hunt down everything else Bronze has done.

lynskey
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
damn, I slept on this for too long.
Such a dope album, production is good, as is the line-up.
If you ain't go this yet, get it now, you won't be disapointed, only the fact you slept on it for so long like me.

DirtMcgehrk
07-24-2009, 07:43 PM
CLASSICO!
I don't understand why the Wu didn't get more involved in this. Still, I like it that the spotlight stuck to the indie artists. "Biochemical Equation" was like a dream come true, as was "Still Grimey". C-Rayz and Sean P = My heroes, and then Prodigal Sunn and U-god are like icing on the cake.