PDA

View Full Version : Posse albums

Cthulhu
12-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Obviously, Enter the Wu-Tang is probably the most famous and celebrated album that features a whole big crew of hip-hop artists sharing duties on one album. Other big crew albums like those by Boot Camp Clik and the one DITC album fall in place there too.

I'm also thinking that some other albums that aren't "officially" by a particular crew still count as posse albums. The Chronic comes to mind, because, even though Dre and Snoop are featured above everyone else, it's still like a showcase of the whole Death Row roster and features tons of collaborations not just on the MC level, but in the writing dept. as well.

Project Blowed also seems to fit this. It's usually classed as a V/A compilation, but it's all folks who were part of the Good Life cafe workshop contributing to a big collaboration.

On the other hand, I don't know if something like the Killa Bee compliations would count since those were usually stand-alone recordings by each affiliate group that were compiled on an album. I'm interested in albums where entire crews were present working on a collective vision. So what are some others?

12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
http://elpasohash.com/footerbar/tumbleweed.gif

Frank Sobotka
12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
I guess allot of producer/dj-led albums would suffice.

fatboybrandon
12-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Those posse albums were a nice, overlooked staple of 80's Hip Hop. Check out the First Priority, Marley Marl In Control, Jazzy Jay Cold Chillin' In The Studio, N.W.A. and The Posse and The 45 King Presents albums, classic material!

86mm4Nwxh2I

D.I.T.C. and Wu have been holdin the torch for that 80's style of posse albums.

issues
12-16-2010, 04:23 AM
unless its a large amount of members all working together.. its not a posse..

DJ / Producer albums are not put together as a group.. so i wouldnt consider them..

and the likes of The Chronic.. is basically just featured guests.. its not like an NWA album..

fatboybrandon
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Cthulhu, check out these ones too if you haven't already, some modern-day, quality posse albums that came to mind

rOpO3f2lqYg

DJ K.O.'s Picture This compilation from '08

5dC6TymwhuU

Guru's Bald Head Slick & The Click album from '01

3y39HBXGkfk

oRQCn4hoFQM

DJ Spinna's Beyond Real Experience I and II albums are definitely worth checking

A2IZtD9gfzg&feature=related

another 80's classic, MC Lyte & Pos K, I'm Not Havin It from the First Priority album

MaskedAvenger
12-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Arsonists - As The World Burns and Hieroglyphics - 3rd Eye Vision

lSCSApoXc3Q

8SOCX0EHIF4

Cthulhu
12-17-2010, 12:24 AM

DJ / Producer albums are not put together as a group.. so i wouldnt consider them..

and the likes of The Chronic.. is basically just featured guests.. its not like an NWA album..

Yes, the other rappers on The Chronic are technically just featered guests, but it's still different than a lot of other albums where the guests just feel like cameos. They weren't part of an official group, but all of them were part of the early Death Row roster. Plus the sheer amount of guest appearances from the same group of people makes it feel like a quasi-group album, especially since some of the tracks don't even feature Dre rapping at all (yes I know he produces all of it, but that just makes it feel even more like an in-house producer kind of vibe, like the RZA backing his posse).

The thing Enter the Wu-Tang, The Chronic, and Project Blowed all have in common is that you get this total "pass the mic" flavor where it feels like a bunch of close friends and associates all battling or sometimes taking the spotlight for a song or two. It feels like a cast of characters where there's a few stars who show up more often, but also a lot of supporting characters who make memorable shows. I dunno if this really describes it right... but whatever.

issues
12-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Yes, the other rappers on The Chronic are technically just featered guests, but it's still different than a lot of other albums where the guests just feel like cameos. They weren't part of an official group, but all of them were part of the early Death Row roster. Plus the sheer amount of guest appearances from the same group of people makes it feel like a quasi-group album, especially since some of the tracks don't even feature Dre rapping at all (yes I know he produces all of it, but that just makes it feel even more like an in-house producer kind of vibe, like the RZA backing his posse).

The thing Enter the Wu-Tang, The Chronic, and Project Blowed all have in common is that you get this total "pass the mic" flavor where it feels like a bunch of close friends and associates all battling or sometimes taking the spotlight for a song or two. It feels like a cast of characters where there's a few stars who show up more often, but also a lot of supporting characters who make memorable shows. I dunno if this really describes it right... but whatever.

i know what your saying.. just my personal opinion..

with saying "posse" i would just tend to think of peeps like the Hiero..

when its like one collective.. nahmean?..

4nowlaters
12-17-2010, 04:13 AM
shit No Limit albums

Frank Sobotka
12-17-2010, 04:33 AM

It was pretty much a DPGC album.
Early death row releases were definitely group efforts.

issues
12-17-2010, 04:52 AM
It was pretty much a DPGC album.
Early death row releases were definitely group efforts.

yea.. i know what you're saying..

i know collectives basically dont always work together..

my personal preference is the group thing..

BGS
12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
check out A.O.T.P.

fatboybrandon
12-18-2010, 12:09 PM
g05VPNVrwyo

More classic shit left to us from The Guru's legacy: "Ill Kid Records Presents" 1993. I remember listening to "So Called Friends" repeatedly with my cousin during the summer of '93 on Morgan State University radio in Baltimore Maryland.

The album has a banging cut by True Master, I guess Guru was gonna sign him at one point.