PDA

View Full Version : Rappers/Groups from the 90s that recorded a few great tracks and then disappeared

Taskmaster2112
12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
So I've been listening to a lot of rappers and groups that were put on by some of the greats from the 90's who recorded a few singles and maybe an EP or an album (that was shelved) and then disappeared. The four that I've been listening to the most are:

Deda, put on by Pete Rock (his album "The Original Baby Pa" was mostly produced by Pete Rock and was shelved)
InI, also put on by Pete Rock (same story as Deda, their Pete Rock-laced LP, "Center of Attention was shelved)
Shadez of Brooklyn, put on by Da Beatminerz (recorded an EP "Pandemonium", a few singles, and appeared on two tracks off the first Beatminerz LP. i don't think their EP was ever released, and they disappeared)
YG'z, another Pete Rock affiliate (their mostly Pete Rock produced "Street Nigga" EP was released, but it didn't sell well and they got dropped by the label and then disappeared)

I really dig all of these cats, and they got great production from some of the GOAT producers. I'm wondering if there are any other groups or rappers that were put on by legends of the 90s but never went anywhere. it doesn't matter if their albums or EPs were released or shelved, or if they even recorded that many songs (a few singles with B-Sides would be fine), but I want to check out more acts like this. Any suggestions?

zooruka
12-16-2010, 07:55 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/1zh3drq.jpg

Is it me or does it look like they only put nature on the cover because they couldn't get around the fact he is on the album...."Dude is like where's wally" up in that piece.

:W

Taskmaster2112
12-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I was asking more about more obscure artists, like the ones I mentioned in my first post, rather than groups like the Firm, which is made up mostly of superstars of the genre. I wasn't feeling that Firm album too much anyway.

check two
12-16-2010, 08:30 PM
B.G. Knocc Out and Gangsta Dresta.

food for thought
12-16-2010, 08:32 PM
my fucking folk.

Digable Planets.

its a damn shame.

check two
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I remember years back when I did a thread in general chat claiming to Paperboy, and I had like everybody believing it. ha ha I think that was before the site went down for a little while though, so I think it's gone.

Taskmaster2112
12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
my fucking folk.

Digable Planets.

its a damn shame.

Digable Planets are dope as hell. "Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)" is one of my favorite records ever, and "Blowout Comb" is extremely underrated.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about B.G. Knocc Out and Gangsta Dresta? I'm looking for a bit more information on the cats you people tell me about. Were they affiliated with anyone else? Who produced their records? Who was featured on their records? Shit like that. I'll definitely be checking those two cats out though.

check two
12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
They were affiliated with Eazy E and were on these classic track. You never heard of it? It was a rebutable to the classic Dre Day song.

U5yFoeAaG8Q

Paranoid
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
cFP2ympoaP4

Taskmaster2112
12-16-2010, 09:10 PM
They were affiliated with Eazy E and were on these classic track. You never heard of it? It was a rebutable to the classic Dre Day song.

U5yFoeAaG8Q

I've got that Eazy-E EP and both of his albums on my iPod, but I hardly ever listen to those records (which is a problem that I know I need to fix), so I kind of forgot all about that song and in my attempts over the years to check out all the dope rappers out there those two got lost in the shuffle. I checked them out on wikipedia and read a review of their record that said its great, and their verses on that Eazy-E song are dope as hell. As a matter of fact, I'm going to throw on "It's On (Dr. Dre)187um Killa" right now and I'll be sure to check out their album. thanks for turning me on to them.

Paranoid
12-16-2010, 09:48 PM
1TXLjs5wZak&

these dudes same level as gravediggaz

fatboybrandon
12-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I definitely think of groups of the 90's that departed early, I wonder if they're doing well for themselves in real life. Some of them inspire me because they invested themselves in areas other than the music business for a more secure career and future.

A couple of my favorite MCs of the 90's went on to run their own web design businesses: D-Nice and Izzy Ice from Da King & I. Everyone should invest yourself in something which will help sustain you in the long term, even if it's small to start with.

Steve "Stezo" Williams dropped one of my favorite Hip Hop albums ever in 1990, a couple singles in the mid 90's, then fled the scene. It's disappointing but I guess life calls some people in different directions at times.

Super Lover Cee & Cassanova
MC Freshco
Latee
Lakim Shabazz
Snupe (Extra Prolific from Hiero)
World Renown
RBX
Red Hot Lover Tone
Chubb Rock
K-Solo
Positive K
The Wascalz
(Erick Sermon produced) Illegal, Shadez Of Lingo
MC Ren
Meccalicious
Sam Sneed
Erule
Special Ed
Da Youngstas
(Beatnuts produced) Rawcotiks, Missin' Linx, Bas Blasta
Pudgee The Fat Bastard
Gauge
(DJ Spinna produced) N.O.T.S. Click, Big Kwam, Kriminul of Jigmastas, Apani B Fly, I.G. Off & Hazadous, Skam
(D.I.T.C. produced) Mystidious Misfits, Little Indian, God Sunz, Ground Floor, Posneg, Grand Agent, Scientific, Bushwackas, Ultimate Force
Stik N Moov
No I.D. & Dug Infinite
Funk Doobiest
Powerule
Smoothe Da Hustler and Trigger The Gambler
L Da Headtoucha
B-1
Ill Biskits
Dred Scott
Kwest tha Madd Ladd
YZ
Jinx Da Juvy
Rumpletilskinz
Hoodratz
Yall So Stupid
N-Tyce
Champ MC
Shortie No Mas
Paula Perry
Byata
Big Twan and Herb Mc Gruff of 8 Iz Enuff
Adagio!

DB7N3vy4RFM

check two
12-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Some of the Da Youngstas still rap solo.

Positive K was on a Nas song a few years back, and he put out an album in 2008.

main_man
12-17-2010, 01:00 AM
so so many.
but yeah, digable planets was the shit. like a more jazzy version of the fugees.

da king and i was one that came to my mind first. that "tearz" joint was hot.

hard knocks had a great album called "school of hard knocks" that made noise with hip hop heads. they never made anything else though.

greyson & jayson was dope too. "livin like a troopa" was my shit back then. the james brown sample set it off.

and rap-a-lot had a gang of those type of acts. dmg. too much trouble. o.g. style. the convicts. they had a lot of talent on that roster, for real.

Cthulhu
12-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Do Digable Planets count? They got fairly mainstream (for a straight-up hip-hop group in the early 90s) with their first album and the single "Cool Like Dat." They did kind of disappear after their second album, but I don't see it as much different from what happened to Dinco D & Charlie Brown after Busta Left LotNS, or the Pharcyde after Labcabincalifornia. All those groups had some marginal success and at least two solid albums, so I don't think you can say they recorded "a few great tracks" then disappeared.

My adds: All the guests on the posse cuts from Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous (obviously excluding Cam'Ron, Jay-Z, and Lord Finesse). A ton of those rappers were extremely awesome, but I've never heard anything about them outside of those tracks. I know they were all pretty much underground MCs that were part of L's crews in Harlem, but it would have been great if they showed up on some other shit.

Djaminha
12-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Raw Breed

claaa7
12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Darkim Be Allah and his group AIG, they had "Bronx War Stories" on 'The Swarm' and he produced "12 Jewelz" for RZA and released an internet EP through www.mp3.com but then he kinda dissapeared. they came back in 2005 and released their debut which is ill as hell and it seems he's been starting to grind out music again but i still think he's extremely underrated.

Teflon, semi-official member of MOP, he was on all their albums except their latest and he dropped a nice album in 1997 that y'all should check out if you haven't. Have never lived up to his potential in terms of released material tho. shame.

i thought Digable Planets disolved because of differences within the group but that the indivudal members still do other work? "Reachin" is a great album though, i bought that recently actually, never checked for them before but i really felt the way they flipped all the jazz samples. real feel-good, chill out music.. how does "Blowout Comb" compare?

Imam THUG had some nasty verses with Tragedy and CNN but besides the "Iron Sheiks" EP i don't think he ever released anything?

i agree with InI, dope group and Pete Rock truly laced those beats in true Soul Brother fashion. Deda wasn't that good imo, he got a cool voice and sounds ill on guest apperances (he killed "The Basement" and "In The Flesh") but his content wasn't too dope for an entire album... i must say that Pete's production work on that album is off the chains, one of my favorite Pete Rock projects as far as beats go.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
12-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Herb McGruff

dude was spitting crack with L on Strech and Bobbito

Visionz
12-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Herb McGruff

dude was spitting crack with L on Strech and Bobbito

http://www.turkeymonkey.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/cancun-mexico-43.jpg
The trained monkey carries his razor blades for him

cutn' heads
12-17-2010, 07:41 AM
da boogiemonsters
lords of the underground
artifacts
group home
milkbone (lol)

cutn' heads
12-17-2010, 07:44 AM
hard 2 obtain

FeZO_hZZo3Q

cutn' heads
12-17-2010, 07:46 AM
now im gonna have to dig up a vcr and all my old rap city vhs tapes...

cutn' heads
12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
boogie monsters

ARc_mdE_r6A

check two
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Lords of the Underground are still doing concerts and putting material out.

fatboybrandon
12-17-2010, 03:25 PM
The Artifacts have been in the media recently, especially El Da Sensei. El never really went anywhere, if you check stores like Fat Beats and underground college radio shows. He's very successful in Poland with The Returners.

I never really took the time to get into the music of The Boogiemonsters, their style and image was weird to me, their music sounds good though. I definitely remember Hard 2 Obtain, Meth mentioned them in an interview recently as one of his 90's favorites.

b36lri_0KgY

7zGM2BVCF9Q

^tight Lord Finesse productions

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DG7Fq2e1UN8/SGo-VvXOPCI/AAAAAAAAAM4/sd853-fZNUc/s320/zhigge.jpg

I used to get my hair cut at a barbershop called Levels on West 125th st that is owned by Kazo, one of the group members of Zhigge and former dancer for Special Ed. Their songs Rakin In The Dough, Toss It Up and others are banging

Paranoid
12-17-2010, 03:34 PM
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.13294/title.artifacts-talk-reunion-tour-recording-again

Durag
12-17-2010, 04:42 PM
100X Posse

Crew from Philidelphia who recorded loads of material during the 90's but only released one or two 12"'s. But last year, Freestyle Records released loads of their material, a "Rare & Unreleased" cd, their unreleased "Whom Shall I Fear" album limited to 300 vinyl copies and their "The Early X EP", limited again to 300 copies with more unreleased tracks dating back as far as the late 80's on there.

For a crew that really never released anything officially of any significance, their seriously dope. They have a little horrorcore vibe, but mostly just hardcore hip-hop. Check out some of their tracks on youtube.

Freestyle Professors.

They havent really gone away as such, they released "Gryme Tyme" back in '08 which was seriously dope, with production from all D.I.T.C members. They've been around since '94 or that, and dropped a few 12", thats why i included them here. But everyone should definitly check out "Gryme Tyme".

Mr. R&B
12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Teflon, semi-official member of MOP, he was on all their albums except their latest and he dropped a nice album in 1997 that y'all should check out if you haven't. Have never lived up to his potential in terms of released material tho. shame.

Much respect for bringing up Teflon in this discussion, I totally agree too.

"My Will" was dope as fuck, I still have it on casette and listen to it from time to time.

I think he shortened his name to "Tef" and I've seen some rumblings on the net the past few years that he's working on some new shit.

I think he was working heavily with DJ Premier, for all I know it might've released and I slept on it.

Taskmaster2112
12-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Much respect for bringing up Teflon in this discussion, I totally agree too.

"My Will" was dope as fuck, I still have it on casette and listen to it from time to time.

I think he shortened his name to "Tef" and I've seen some rumblings on the net the past few years that he's working on some new shit.

I think he was working heavily with DJ Premier, for all I know it might've released and I slept on it.

He was just on DJ Premier's "Get Used to Us Compilation"

fortyglock
12-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Live Squad. Apparently they were dropped from their label because they were 'too hardcore'.

BYu2ZGrkajQ

E5123O-TLA8

cutn' heads
12-18-2010, 10:12 AM
ya'll must be as old as me...