PDA

View Full Version : so 9th Wonder & David Banner's "Death Of A Pop Star" album...

claaa7
12-17-2010, 03:49 AM
has leaked to the net and will be released to stores on this Tuesday. i just downloaded it but haven't given it a go yet but i've been wanting to hear this for a while.

an instant downside is that the "album" is only 30 minutes... i don't know why that is but it seems there's been alot of releases in 2010 that clocks in at 28-35 minutes and i think for people supporting your project and expecting an album the artist should at least try and give them 45 minutes of music. of course quality >> quantity but they could always throw on a bonus track or two at the end.

Erykah Badu and Anthony Hamilton is featured on one track each, two of my favorite soul singers in this day and age. Big Remo is the only rapper featured.

issues
12-17-2010, 03:57 AM
i have been looking forward to this..

heard a few tracks and it sounds nice..

i have tried not to listen too much.. i want to buy it when its released..

Djaminha
12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm bumping it right now, I'm totally underwhlemed.

I don't now what happened with Slow Down either, must of had some clearance issues as the album version is different, which in turn is the only good track on the album.

30 Minutes long?

Seem a realy half assed effort by both.

angry!
12-20-2010, 08:56 AM
this shit is fly...

DIAMONDS ON MY PINKY - 9th enters new dimension!!!!!!!!!!!!

BANNERS not a super lyricist but he always got some jewels...

thats a real nigga!!!!!!!!!!!

LIKE A PIMP was a deep fried classic, those are the type of joints make you a legend in your hood!!!!!!!!!!!!! he always been honest about the music he makes, which i respect... that was his shot, he took it!!!!!!!!!!!!

9th gave him heat!!!!!!!!!!

MAS 4.... 9th banger!!!!!!!!!!!

the OG SLOW DOWN was crazy, but 9th flipped the remix too...

shit with LUDA is crack...

the joint with A HAMILTON is crispy...

9th needs to stay off the mic though, he wanna be pete rock, but pete rock has a dope voice... 9th need to quit that shit!!!!!!!!!!

this album is tight though... yeah its short...

but this album got alotta heart and soul....

and thats something music in general is lacking these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

respect to banner for reaching out, 9th stayin busy...

grown man shit... dope album!!!!!!!!!!

niggas would probably be suprised to find out... that i copped banners debut album....

what can i say!?!?!?!?! LIKE A PIMP needed a spot in the whip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaskedAvenger
12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I seen this album available to download earlier but it didn't really grab my attention or really interest me but I think i'll give it a listen after angry's rant.

whitey
12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
been looking forward to this. 9th is a talented muh fucker and david banner can get it in on the right beat.

gonna give it a spin and be back with the review.

BIG D O
12-24-2010, 02:39 AM
i thought this was just okay....

it's really short and while there is some major heat on it, I felt like for all they was hypin it to be, it fell waaay short, literally...

dad
12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
it's okay. i was hyped, but didn't live up to the hype.

Mr. R&B
12-24-2010, 10:02 PM
In case there's anyone here that wasn't aware, the Best Buy version of this album has 3 bonus tracks.

They are as follows......

*Love Me Down

*Hip-Hop (Feat. Mars)

*Mas (Remix)

If you've already copped the album without those tracks, you can prolly DL them from Napster (which is owned by the Best Buy Corp.).

Peace.

DirtMcgehrk
12-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Review from Hiphopdx.com.......4/5

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.1599/title.david-banner-9th-wonder--death-of-a-popstar

"David Banner journeys to the opposite end of the Rap-o-sphere on his fifth studio album. Where every album prior showcased the Mississippi emcee’s skills behind the mic and the boards, he hands production duties over to 9th Wonder this time out, allowing the North Carolina beat-miner to craft the score to the spaceship ride that is Death Of A Pop Star.

It only takes 30 minutes for Banner to completely redefine his lyrical reputation. He’s always been a skillfully aggressive rapper, but hearing him relentlessly attack track after track with varying styles and levels of introspection -- dropping dime after dime like Hugh Hefner -- over 9th’s snare heavy, east coast sound is the truest testament to his range as a rapper yet seen.

His suicidal thoughts speak for the millions still suffering through the current Great Recession on “Diamonds On My Pinky”. “Dreams of screaming demons hearing death whisper 'Hello' / My shell’s strong / My soul is Green Lantern wearing yellow / Hella weak," he raps over the album opener’s haunting choir and charging bass line, then closing the song with six of the year’s realest bars:

“Bang / It’s the same damn thang / The Boys Clubs are closing while they building PF Chang’s / Look it at your pinky ring / It got souls on it man...But I’m from Mississippi where you let your nuts hang / And where the white folks let my ancestors do the same”

It’s an awesome verse, really. One of many that shapes Death of A Pop Star’s beautiful struggle motif. The rich, soulful production feels celebratory throughout, while the weighty, visceral content fosters introspection, demanding repeated listens. “The richer that you get the more you turn away from God / And the poorer that you are the more you steal because it’s hard / We hope for the precious like Smeagol looking regal,” Banner kicks Redman style on “No Denying (Channel 3)” . 9th’s emphatic organs and electronic blips on “The Light” are raucous enough to incite a riot while lines like “Yeah they twisted religion / Made Satan a Christian / Gave us Barack Obama, then we fell off the mission” are enough to incite a riot for a cause.
“Something Is Wrong” (featuring Lisa Ivey) is sonically generic, but Banner’s vivid depiction of a conversation with a homosexual is simultaneously gut wrenching and enlightening -- the type of verse that opens minds through it’s visceral honesty.

“Women playing men but why do men play women? / I saw one in Ugg boots and real tight denims / Man, he had Apple Bottoms on / So I walked over to him and asked ‘what’s wrong?’...He said ‘David Banner I remember when he raped me / Taped me to the bed / Binded both legs / I blanked out and woke up in a pool of red / Changed my whole world / I guess my stepdad thought that I should’ve been a girl’”

Even the chick track’s rock right any day of the week. Banner impresses on “Be With You” by nearly matching wits with guest Ludacris -- never an easy feat, especially over a backdrop that sounds custom made for the Atlanta lyricist. Anthony Hamilton croons lovely on “Stutter” as DB stutter-steps his affections for a breezy across the room. “Silly” sounds perfect with it’s quintessential 9th Wonder beat and Erykah Badu on the hook. 9th’s lone verse here is surprisingly fresh, feeling like a victory lap of sorts considering he largely laced Death of A Pop Star with an expansive array of audio dopeness.

“Slow Down,” with Banner’s strategically placed breaks in his breakneck double time delivery and ho-hum production sounds hoky, corny even. And the “Mas 4” beat steals the spotlight, relegating Banner to the background. Those are the album’s only immediate speed bumps, unfortunate albatrosses on an overall tour de force that impressively offers something for everyone while remaining uncompromising.

Death Of A Pop Star is arguably David Banner’s best work to date, and certainly the most digestible to those jarred by the Crooked Lettaz' front-man's production. Additionally, this is 9th Wonder's most complete pet project since Murray's Revenge. It’s brevity is balanced by a high quality collection of songs screaming replay value throughout. The album is both diverse and earnest, commanding and club ready. Above all, it places the Mississippi emcee’s mic skills front and center, highlighting his ability to captivate lyrically and stylistically over beats he’s never approached previously. The pop star may be dead, but David Banner and 9th Wonder are still shining; shining brighter than ever."

True Father Allah
01-08-2011, 04:05 AM
has leaked to the net and will be released to stores on this Tuesday. i just downloaded it but haven't given it a go yet but i've been wanting to hear this for a while.

an instant downside is that the "album" is only 30 minutes... i don't know why that is but it seems there's been alot of releases in 2010 that clocks in at 28-35 minutes and i think for people supporting your project and expecting an album the artist should at least try and give them 45 minutes of music. of course quality >> quantity but they could always throw on a bonus track or two at the end.

Erykah Badu and Anthony Hamilton is featured on one track each, two of my favorite soul singers in this day and age. Big Remo is the only rapper featured. well, Luda was on it as well and like someone already stated the Best Buy version does have 3 bonus traks. I was born in Mississippi and while Big K.R..T. may be the future, Banner is a pioneer of Mississippi hip hop and like the Hip Hop DX review mentioned, I feel this is his best work to date. Regular version I give 3.5 mics, Best Buy version 4 mics
PEACE

I'm bumping it right now, I'm totally underwhlemed.

I don't now what happened with Slow Down either, must of had some clearance issues as the album version is different, which in turn is the only good track on the album.
can someone provide a link to the original version, I haven't heard it

Dirty Knowledge
01-08-2011, 06:14 PM
No link??? Yall wylin... sounds like a mixed reaction... prolly a solid effort it seems.

Undiluted Karma
01-08-2011, 06:39 PM
9th is talented will check this out

OntheHorizon
01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Still havent checked this out yet, need to

Jragonsoul
01-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Im about to check this shit out

drippie k
01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
ive been wanting to get it since i heard slow down a few months ago, i've heard its not the best thing ever but it's pretty solid, which is fine with me cuz i honestly don't expect much from david banner lyrically but i can already see he hella stepped it up for 9th wonder

True Father Allah
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Here's the original version of Slow it Down I believe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPt4Tq-bGA4
I think they had one of the better videos last year for the song as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKLOeDJcQv4

Here's Be With You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oo3G-LjUmk&feature=fvw