PDA

View Full Version : c7 presents Big Shug & DJ Premier - "Who The Hardest?" LP

claaa7
12-18-2010, 07:09 AM
When Big Shug and DJ Premier hook up we comes as close as we ever will again to new Gang Starr material, considering Shug was always part of the Gang Starr Foundation and is still standing with Preem. When Group Home and Jeru got albums fully produced by the beat-virtuso in the mid '90s Shug settled back with a few guest spots and two 12" singles. After the new millenium arrived the talk of Shug solo album fully produced by Premier started circulating, and both of them confirmed it in interviews. "Who's Hard" finally dropped in 2005 and while it was a banging album it wasn't the full collaboration many of us we're hoping for. Within the next three years Shug dropped an additional two albums, "Street Champ" and "Other Side Of The Game".

While all these LPs are solid releases in their own right, (that i recommend you go out and support if you like what you're hearing on the tape i'm presenting below), it was the DJ Premier produced joints that really stood out to me. Together there was a total of 16 collaborations between the MC/producer and after Preem's album with Blaq Poet dropped last year I felt I wanted to compile a tracklist with the tunes from Shug's albums. Considering the tracks on Poet's album ranged from recordings between 2006 and 2009, this Big Shug album with tracks from 2005 to 2008 could have been an actual album by the two. With the sequencing I put this together with I really feel it sounds like an album all the right elements are there - you got the perfect intro for the album, a perfect amount of guest features, a good closing track, etc. At least that's how I feel and i'm sure that you will love this as well if you're a Gang Starr head. I call it "WHO THE HARDEST?!"....

i won't be posting every compilation i upload to my blog but i know alot of people gonna love this. i've been banging this in this way for a year or so now and it's mindblowing, really flows well and has nothing but bangers. this could've actually been an album, just like "Tha Blaqprint" had songs that were 2-3 years old, nothing strange... that's the reason why i didn't include Shug's and Preem's 90s collaboration because i really want it to sound like an actual LP. take a listen to this if you're a fan of Gang Starr!

you know where it's at right.

MaskedAvenger
12-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Good looking dude, I'll be grabbing this for sure.

CharlesJones
12-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Who's Hard album is ok but Street Champ sucks. I'll check out Other Side Of The Game album later. I wonder what happened to his album that should've came out in 1996 because he had a video for the song Crush. I like Crush.

deeznutz1981
12-18-2010, 12:18 PM
yeah i made a little mix myself awhile back with big shug and preemo but i didnt have 16 tracks. i'll def go check this shit out now. thanks

deeznutz1981
12-18-2010, 12:21 PM
claaa7 your blog is fuckin sick man keep it up dog!

claaa7
12-19-2010, 08:13 AM
^ glad you're feeling it homie.. i just uploaded 3 compilations to it now, Black Thought's "Thought's Manifesting Vol. 2", "The Soul Of Dilla" and the Pete Rock/CL non-album cuts. check it

muscularghandi
12-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Yo Claaa7 your blog really is the shit, i’ve been bumping that KRS-Maximum Strength non stop.

djskillz
12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
thanks.

claaa7
01-03-2011, 07:21 AM
bump... so how you feeling this Shug "album"?
imo, he should have taken his time and released his debut like this instead (all Premier like it was supposed to).

oDoUoSoKo
01-03-2011, 08:47 AM
not a big shug fan