PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in a hip-hop artist?

White_Mouse
12-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Recently there's been a lot of threads dissing popular MC's right now. I understand, as an MC I sometimes find myself getting jealous of others just because they get put on and I don't think that they deserve to be. So I want to ask yall what are the traits that you look for most in your favorite MC's and what are the traits that the MC's that you hate right now lack the most. There is no need for name dropping but simply list what you find important and what is missing.
grace&piece
mouse

fatboybrandon
12-25-2010, 10:29 PM
First word that came to mind was realism, I'd like to feel like I could step to them in real life and see their MC persona is true to their real life.

Then I would want to see what background they come from, are they a product the economic and social oppression of society associated with the birth of Hip Hop culture or any sort of struggle?

How deep is their knowledge and appreciation of Hip Hop history and how do they apply it to their music.

I can sense some MCs today that lack ^these elements by listening to them, they treat and portray the image of Hip Hop as a commercial trend like fast food.

zooruka
12-25-2010, 11:09 PM
The most important factor for me is voice..... Even though it is beyond any m.c's control (Except B-real lol).... it is the number one factor when I decide on a m.c.

An m.c can spit the illest 16, but if his voice does not sound good, it's game over in my book.

personally I would not be against some kind of voice critera before a label signs a rapper... I just know people are gonna flame me for that comment, but I would have no problem in a label refusing to sign a rapper because his voice does not sound good on wax, even if he can spit.

Next would be lyrics/swag.

I think an ill m.c should be able to spit heat, combined with a personality....I think a good example would be canibus, dude has rhymes for days and they are the illest of the ill, but he has absolutely no swag whatsoever.

Next: It would be realness.

I don't think m.c's need to talk about sex/ money/ murder or drug dealing to sound real, but an m.c should have that grimey element to his steeze.

Lastly: I would like an m.c to spit a postive message, I think the message that rap music conveys to the public is so bad it should be criminal...How people can say some of the things they do on wax and not be prosecuted in some way is beyond me.

The culture is sick.....and that is not only to the prodigy mobb deep type rappers ........It equally applies to the p.diddy's of the industry.

peace

MaskedAvenger
12-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Good consistent music. Nowadays I'd rather listen to an above average MC's dope album than a super lyrical MC's half assed album. For example Group Home aren't a super lyrical group but Livin' Proof is better than any Canibus album I've ever heard.

JiggaGenious
12-26-2010, 12:10 AM
their look

Ice T I've always hated because he looks weird, what the hell is he mexican?
on the other hand some guys are just too dark, rebel INS is way too dark.
now Nelly is a good looking brother
http://www.beattrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/nelly-actor.jpg

MaskedAvenger
12-26-2010, 12:35 AM
^ ahahah mexican

Djaminha
12-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Don't care.

As long as they make listenable music.

JakobR
12-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Multis
Flow diagrams
Enunciation
Rhetoric
Story telling
Lyrical content/originality

Not in this order.

Frank Sobotka
12-26-2010, 06:01 AM
entertainment

TAURO
12-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Must have mic presence. It seems like such a simple thing but so many rappers fail at this.

Socrates92
12-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Lyrics, lyrics and lyrics.

THE MASON
12-26-2010, 11:38 AM
charisma, character, mic presence and like fatboy said a sense of realism. those all add to the greatness of an emcee

lyrics, flow and cadence are all things that can be developed those others are just there.

Prolifical ENG
12-26-2010, 12:15 PM
'What do you look for in a hip-hop artist?'

These are rappers, not my future wife. :lmao:

dad
12-26-2010, 12:24 PM
their look

Ice T I've always hated because he looks weird, what the hell is he mexican?
on the other hand some guys are just too dark, rebel INS is way too dark.
now Nelly is a good looking brother
http://www.beattrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/nelly-actor.jpg

your a fucking queer.

White_Mouse
12-26-2010, 04:33 PM
some good responses so far, lol at the Nelly comment keep em coming,

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-26-2010, 04:58 PM
A respectable moustache, a history of swag OD, a casual and lingering crack habit, at least one P Diddy remix, one track with Chrisette Michelle singing the hook, ironic bling, an MTV cribs appearence, ability to rock black diamonds and shades in the wintertime, a twitter account with at least 500k followers, at least 1 years jailtime, a Bentley with his initials stitched in the headrest,a wshh.com most viewed video, an inspiring businessman.

Paranoid
12-26-2010, 05:00 PM
must be true to the culture