PDA

View Full Version : Battle Of The West <Muggs vs Dre>

Meta4
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Alright two heavy hittin legends go toe to toe in this producer extrodinaire battle, only one can be crowned True King Beatsmith Of The West. let the battle begin!!!

First up is Soul Assassin DJ Muggs aka Left Coast Grime Master

http://www.juicemagazine.com/images/7-1-2010news/1news/dr9sm8.jpg
Notable Credits- Cypress Hill catalog, Soul Assassins I and II, DJ Muggs vs GZA/Genius and vs ILL Bill.
Master of... snappin necks and scaring crakers and soft niggas thru audio.

Next up is Funk Master Dr. Dre aka Audiologist Ph.D

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Dr_Dre_umvd002.jpg
Notable Credits- The Chronic, 2001, NWA catalog, Doggystyle
Master of... movin bones you didn't know you had and gangsters with jeri-curls theme music.

ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE THE LEFT COAST CHAMPION!!!!

Urban_Journalz
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Not to take anything away from Dre. but Muggs is definitely the iller producer in my opinion. His beats can go from bouncy/gutter to dark/depressive and they never sound wack.

Jin10304
01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Hmmm.....FUCKING MUGGS

Paranoid
01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
muggs

Frank Sobotka
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Muggs is the greatest producer in general.

Dre hasn't changed his style much over the last 10 years.

GhostfaceThaPharoahe
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Definitely Muggs, it doesn't take him 10+ years to release good music.

fatboybrandon
01-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I respect everyone who considers Muggs better based on sound of his beats, he seems more productive than Dre in recent years. I used to live in L.A. and still have family in Pasadena.

I would have to choose a "King" based on a number of factors:

- range of musical influence (cats biting/imitating or trying to improve upon his signature sound)
- number of certified classics
- longevity
- new levels reached as a producer (sampling technique, mixing expertise, songwriting, sequencing, use of live musicians)
- artists he put on who also made classics and left their own vast influence
- social influence based on his music (he changed the slang, walk, talk of people plus the way you look the ghetto and everything that comes from it)

Muggs is a very dope producer with his own legacy, but my choice is Dr. Dre without a doubt. The musical accomplishments I know of overshadow just about any other Hip Hop producer I've heard from the West.

Mumm Ra
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
i never been a fan of dre's beats tbh
muggs ftw

Cesar
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Muggs is a GREAT producer, but I'll go with Dre. Dre has broken a lot of the TOP artist into the mainstream. NWA, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, 50 Cent. You can even add Xzibit to that list as well and so on.

David Daniel Davis
01-03-2011, 11:33 PM
It is like I am being telepathically messaged to vote Doctor Dre. because as I am reading through this thread Snoop Doggy Dogg's Murder was the Case is playing on the hiphop classics channel.

UncontrolledSubstans
01-04-2011, 05:52 AM
eRCJow2tKso

My vote goes to the doctor.

MaskedAvenger
01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm a go with Muggs because I like his body of work more. I haven't really liked anything Dre has done in the past decade.

Ancient One
01-04-2011, 06:27 AM
eRCJow2tKso

My vote goes to the doctor.

I don't know why you chose this one? The synth line is developed by Scott Storch, anyway it is one of the dopest beats ever.

Dre uses more of other people's creations as his. Muggs wins this one.

fatboybrandon
01-04-2011, 07:30 AM
The synth line is developed by Scott Storch, anyway it is one of the dopest beats ever.

Dre uses more of other people's creations as his

Nothing wrong with hiring and collaborating with other people. Dr. Dre helped re-define the very idea of what a Hip Hop producer is for the better by hiring outside producers/musicians to contribute.

After Dre, more Hip Hop producers became leaders and conductors who hired other musicians to contribute to a total production, bringing more depth and polish to songs.

Kanye West hired Mike Dean, John Mayer, S1, Pete Rock, John Legend, Miri Ben-Ari & more
The Roots recruited Jay Dee to contribute beats, but they replayed them on T.F.A. instead of sampling, they hired D 'Angelo before too to add on
Diddy recruited Sean C & L.V. for American Gangster, who in turn recruited musicians to replay and add elements

Cool & Dre
Just Blaze
and Outkast are a few others to add the writing of hired musicians to their work

Dre has been only doing the producer hiring thing since the birth of Aftermath records, before that he only hired people to replay the samples you hear on his many classics of the late-80's and 90's.

TAURO
01-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I love Dre but Muggs is still dropping bangers to this day. I haven't felt a Dre beat since The Eminem Show.

Origin™
01-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't even feel giving Muggs king of the west is justified, dude is king of hip hop production period.

J.T.S.
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
This is a very hard decison but i have to go with Dj muggs because to me his beats just have more variety and that dark feelling to them!

Frank Sobotka
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
CXFaNugLC8o

Muggs makes this beat, a year later dre releases an album full of beats like this.

Shogah
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
^

What are you talking about? Dre's beats on 2001 are total opposite from this beat lol.
Unless you think that muggs invented usage of piano in hip hop music.

Get you facts together.

claaa7
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
lol true...

even though i listen to more Muggs music and he's more productive i'd have to say that overall Dr. Dre is the unthreatened king producer of the West Coast.

OntheHorizon
01-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm goin with Muggs as well, To be honest Dre hasnt done anything that blew my mind in over a decade

But I'm into Darker types of hip hop, Muggs, RZA, Havoc, Stoupe, Alchemist......... I listen to there stuff more then anything Dre has done post-Death Row

GreyFoxCyborgNinja
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Muggs... his beat are ILL Soul Assassins WAAAAA

Frank Sobotka
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
^

What are you talking about? Dre's beats on 2001 are total opposite from this beat lol.
Unless you think that muggs invented usage of piano in hip hop music.

Get you facts together.
High tempo repetitive piano loops were all over 2001.

Pacsta
01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
DJ Muggs >> real shit

David Daniel Davis
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I love Dre but Muggs is still dropping bangers to this day. I haven't felt a Dre beat since The Eminem Show.

Did you not like anything on Relapse?; you just might not be into dirty beats; everybody has their own style; I loved Relapse; I had been waiting forever for an Eminem l.p. full of Doctor Dre tracks; now he needs to do a full l.p. with Fifty Cent and I can be satisfied.

battle?
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
muggs!!!

Nuttkase
01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Soul Assassin DJ Muggs

OntheHorizon
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm surprised how well muggs is doing in this poll honestly, dude is my favorite producer ( Just based on the amount of time I been listening and him still being, IMO, just as dope today as he was in 1993) but he's usually so slept on I expected the poll to be the other way around

Jin10304
01-04-2011, 08:18 PM
/\ because real heads that appreciate Muggs arent in the "slept on" majority

OntheHorizon
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
/\ because real heads that appreciate Muggs arent in the "slept on" majority

True, but even with alot of cats who consider themselves well schooled, you rarely hear his name mentioned as much, at least before the VS series, I think those have raised his profile alot in the underground

fatboybrandon
01-04-2011, 09:03 PM
@OntheHorizon: I was surprised too, but I see the larger percentage of choices are based mostly on opinion of who's sound they like better rather than comparing accomplishments between each producer that are written in stone over time and making a choice based on facts.

To me, it's hard to crown an all time King without a look and comparison of the facts of each producer's legacy. Just the sound of their beats isn't enough to make such a strong decision.

The West Coast would be much less significant in the history of Hip Hop if you took Dre's N.W.A. crew out of the equation, even if Cypress Hill, Psycho Realm and Funk Doobiest's career's were left to try and fill the void.

OntheHorizon
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
@OntheHorizon: I was surprised too, but I see the larger percentage of choices are based mostly on opinion of who's sound they like better rather than comparing accomplishments between each producer that are written in stone over time and making a choice based on facts.

To me, it's hard to crown an all time King without a look and comparison of the facts of each producer's legacy. Just the sound of their beats isn't enough to make such a strong decision.

If you wanted to make a choice based squarely on facts then this poll wouldnt even be necessary because Dre's list of accomplishments puts everybody else in the history of rap to shame......... He gave birth to 4 of the biggest stars rap ever saw (Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg, Eminem & 50 Cent), I'm sure his productions have outsold everybody else to, not to mention every sound he comes with gets bitten and copied by everybody else around

I voted for my personal choice tho because voting just based on numbers and statistics is a dangerous road to travel, If I based stuff on that logic I'd have to start giving props to alot of folks I dont like, lol

Jin10304
01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Iono, pre-VS Series he had IMO been soldified as one of the greats based on his Cypresss productions alone. Hes one of the producers ala RZA, Pete Roc, DJ Premier to produce consistent classics in the 1990's.

Paranoid
01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Hes one of the producers ala RZA, Pete Roc, DJ Premier to produce consistent classics in the 1990's.

^

OntheHorizon
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Iono, pre-VS Series he had IMO been soldified as one of the greats based on his Cypresss productions alone. Hes one of the producers ala RZA, Pete Roc, DJ Premier to produce consistent classics in the 1990's.

For me to but I notice alot more people sharing that opinion these days in the underground

RynMur
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM

I feel the same way

djskillz
01-05-2011, 01:36 AM
DJ Quik is better than both imo.

Paranoid
01-05-2011, 03:49 AM
both are great but muggs has the bigger catalog and i prefer his darker beats.

sickdog
01-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Muggs no doubt. he is monster, doing that FUCK U music since 90, and dont gives a fuck about all that trash rap. have more classicks in his catalog. doesnt need 20 years to make new album. always have something new in his sound but u always know it MUGGS, it same nigga from 90s. best hip-hop producer ever.

dre... yeah he is iconic, but not that many classicks from him, ofc chronic, doggystyle and 2001 are fuckin dope albums, but thats not enough to be better then Muggs. and i dont care about eminem or 50 ct, they wack to me. and NWA, first of all this group was EASY E and ICE CUBE.

ps: oh yeah Muggs is better then Rza to heh.

food for thought
01-06-2011, 02:37 AM
MUGGS ALL DAY!!

Dre is a faggot.

Paranoid
01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
NWA, first of all this group was EASY E and ICE CUBE.

mc ren > easy e

sickdog
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
no....

Jin10304
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
"and NWA, first of all this group was EASY E and ICE CUBE"

and? those niggas didnt produce shit. Thats like saying Wu-Tang was originally rza, gza & odb...but RZA was the producer for the entire thing!. Dre is NWA's producer, where talking producers here, not MCs

Paranoid
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
no....

um yea. ren was way more talented

OntheHorizon
01-07-2011, 03:25 AM
Muggs no doubt. he is monster, doing that FUCK U music since 90, and dont gives a fuck about all that trash rap. have more classicks in his catalog. doesnt need 20 years to make new album. always have something new in his sound but u always know it MUGGS, it same nigga from 90s. best hip-hop producer ever.

dre... yeah he is iconic, but not that many classicks from him, ofc chronic, doggystyle and 2001 are fuckin dope albums, but thats not enough to be better then Muggs. and i dont care about eminem or 50 ct, they wack to me. and NWA, first of all this group was EASY E and ICE CUBE.

ps: oh yeah Muggs is better then Rza to heh.

Ummm.........I agree with most of what you said, but that NWA remark is crazy

You do realize Eazy didnt even write most his own shit right???

Eazy Duz It & Straight Outta Compton = Ice Cube on the Pen

Niggaz4Life = MC Ren/D.O.C on the pen

Eazy was a legend but C'mon son, lol, its well known he was the Gangster Rap version of P. Diddy

sickdog
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Easy started all this shit, and i dont give a fuck that Cube wrote down all his lyrics. he was STAR along with Cube. Dre was more in background at that time, he got his real shine after chronic. and btw i dont belive that dre wrote all his lyrics by himself, i give 100% he had\have ghostwriters to. and ppl say that half of chronic was made not by him, he just took credit. same shit with Muggs "temples of boom" big part of this was made by Alchemist....

so again Easy was main man even if he didint wrote any of his lyrics. he was a star. and Cube.

corky831
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
i understand everyone says other producers do dr. dre's work and shit....but the fact of the matter is the work is being released with dr. dre's name.....so as far as we kno, those r dr. dre productions.....i cant believe the score is 28-8.....dre gets my vote just bc of his tru legacy as being one of the originators of this shit we love called hip hop

sickdog
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
like Muggs is not originator lol...

OntheHorizon
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
i understand everyone says other producers do dr. dre's work and shit....but the fact of the matter is the work is being released with dr. dre's name.....so as far as we kno, those r dr. dre productions.....i cant believe the score is 28-8.....dre gets my vote just bc of his tru legacy as being one of the originators of this shit we love called hip hop

Muggs was an originator as well, but why shoultd that have an impact on who you vote for??

People get too political on things like this, If I see a Poll asking me to vote on summin, I'ma pick the guy I like

For Example, If Somebody asked me to pick between stoupe and Timbaland, I'll pick Stoupe, even if Timbo had 10,000x's more of an impact in changing the sound of the club and being the first majorly sought after southern producer, I still like the other choice better.....

corky831
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
^ I didnt kno this was based on preference.......I thought this was being based on facts......bc it is a fact dre had more impact on the game than muggs...and im not knockin muggs.....he's a great producer....but the ppl dre put on r all superstars

GhettoGnom
01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Easily Muggs

From his earliest Cypress work, to Soul Assassins, to his more trip-hop influenced Dust album, to his vs. albums and about every beat he's given out, dude STAYS dropping classic production all over the place in all kinds of styles.. Never lost a step.

As for Dre, he got his undeniable classics, but dude doesn't nearly master as many styles as Muggs, his body of work doesn't come close to Muggs and last but not least, he fell the fuck off.

Both are legends and great producers though, not trying to downplay Dre's work.

Pacsta
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
stop bullshittin! Eazy-E = N.W.A / Gangsta Rap

OntheHorizon
01-07-2011, 05:38 PM
^ I didnt kno this was based on preference.......I thought this was being based on facts......bc it is a fact dre had more impact on the game than muggs...and im not knockin muggs.....he's a great producer....but the ppl dre put on r all superstars

If it were just a simple question of facts and statistics this poll wouldnt be necessary, just break your calculator out and declare Dre the winner based on facts and figures, but who really decides what music they like better that way??.......

There's alot of tricky facts out there I could bring up that you wouldnt wanna hear, alot of "Firsts" and "Groundbreaking Achievements" that could be attributed to names like Lil Jon & MC Hammer that I dont think anybody wants to hear, so lets just agree to disagree on this one, lol

FYI, I'm not hating on Dre, neither of these choices is really a wrong answer, I just refuse to pick based on what a history book tells me I should.........

Mumm Ra
01-07-2011, 05:42 PM
those are sales facts -
not who is a better producer facts

Paranoid
01-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I really fail to see how anyone could think Easy E could come anywhere close to Ice Cube & MC Ren in terms of skill

Paranoid
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I usually skip his verses