PDA

View Full Version : I just bought Dah Shinin on vinyl and its missing tracks

Taskmaster2112
01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
it's on two LPs so they should have had no problem fitting the whole album, but it's missing "Wrekonize" and "Let's Git It On". Does anyone have any idea why these tracks are missing? "Wrekonize" is one of my favorite tracks on the album and I really wanted to hear it on wax.

claaa7
01-14-2011, 11:02 AM
yeah i remember that, i have no clue why they did that tho. alot of artists deleted tracks from the vinyl releases back in the '90s, for example "BIBLE" is not on "Liquid Swords" and the two songs after "Cuttin' Headz" is not on ODB's debut. it's a shame tho, cuz the 2xLP format fits more than a CD.

claaa7
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
had to look at Discogs and it turns out that "Wrekonize" was released as a 12" single (remix only though) and "Let's Get It On" was released as a B-side on the "Bucktown" single. maybe the label did that to increase sales from those singles as well as the album?

Bucktown/Let's Get It On (http://www.discogs.com/Smif-N-Wessun-Bucktown-Lets-Git-It-On/release/240262)

Wrekonize/Sound Bwoy... (http://www.discogs.com/Smif-N-Wessun-Wrekonize-Sound-Bwoy-Bureill/release/213220)

Taskmaster2112
01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
i'm listening to it right now ("Cession at the Doghillie" is blaring out of my speakers right now), and it sounds great on wax, but losing "Wrekonize" and the "Shinin..." instrumental before "Next Shit" really fucked up the flow of the album a bit. "Let's Git It On" and "P.N.C. Intro" are going to be missing too. it's not like Liquid Swords and Return to the 36 Chambers where they dropped songs at the end of the album, these are noticeable omissions from the middle of the record. maybe the flow seems messed up to me because i've listened to the full version of the album so many times. i've been trying to really beef up my vinyl collection lately so i can start moving away from listening to everything on my iPod (either with headphones or hooked up to my stereo) all the time, but it looks like this is one album that i'm probably going to continue listening to on my iPod (or by playing the missing tracks on my iPod where they're missing on the LP).

Taskmaster2112
01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
had to look at Discogs and it turns out that "Wrekonize" was released as a 12" single (remix only though) and "Let's Get It On" was released as a B-side on the "Bucktown" single. maybe the label did that to increase sales from those singles as well as the album?

Bucktown/Let's Get It On (http://www.discogs.com/Smif-N-Wessun-Bucktown-Lets-Git-It-On/release/240262)

Wrekonize/Sound Bwoy... (http://www.discogs.com/Smif-N-Wessun-Wrekonize-Sound-Bwoy-Bureill/release/213220)

I wasn't crazy about the remix for "Wrekonize", but i'll definitely have to track down the "Bucktown" single for my collection. thanks for the heads up.

Mr. R&B
01-14-2011, 12:44 PM
In the 90's record labels would change up the tracklistings on albums depending on format.

The most common difference is the bonus track, usually present only on the CD format, but omitted from the Vinyl & Cassette versions.

Sometimes an album on cassette would feature an alternate version of a track not present on other formats.

It's even more likely that you bought a re-issue and those tracks were left off because of sample clearance issues.

Taskmaster2112
01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
In the 90's record labels would change up the tracklistings on albums depending on format.

The most common difference is the bonus track, usually present only on the CD format, but omitted from the Vinyl & Cassette versions.

Sometimes an album on cassette would feature an alternate version of a track not present on other formats.

It's even more likely that you bought a re-issue and those tracks were left off because of sample clearance issues.

yeah it was a new record, so it's gotta be a reissue. i checked discogs.com though, and they list 4 different vinyl pressings of "Dah Shinin" and all of them have the same tracklist. oh well. i'm still psyched to have most of the tracks from that album on vinyl though.

Mr. R&B
01-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Word.

Either way, having Dah Shinin' on Vinyl is a great edition to your collection, missing tracks or not.

Frank Sobotka
01-15-2011, 04:52 AM

Doesn't the Vinyl Version of Lifestylez have 2 tracks more than the CD?

claaa7
01-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Doesn't the Vinyl Version of Lifestylez have 2 tracks more than the CD?

i got the rare OG pressing of Big L's debut and it doesn't have any additional tracks, 12 songs. the first promo that was put out featured the song "Timez Is Hard..." which is a great joint.

Frank Sobotka
01-15-2011, 06:17 AM
i got the rare OG pressing of Big L's debut and it doesn't have any additional tracks, 12 songs. the first promo that was put out featured the song "Timez Is Hard..." which is a great joint.
then what about "The Devil's Son"

KLIION JENSEN
01-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Either way, having Dah Shinin' on Vinyl is a great edition to your collection, missing tracks or not.

both correct answers...

back in the 90s vinyl was still an important part of music, djs still played vinyl & mixtapes were by dj's, scratching & mixing with vinyl, the b-side of a single was usually remixes of the a-side &/or bonus tracks not on the album...

these days, re-issues would usually have the bonus tracks on there

fatboybrandon
01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
ii've been trying to really beef up my vinyl collection lately so i can start moving away from listening to everything on my iPod (either with headphones or hooked up to my stereo) all the time, but it looks like this is one album that i'm probably going to continue listening to on my iPod (or by playing the missing tracks on my iPod where they're missing on the LP).

Sounds good that you're making the search for vinyl and missing tracks, plan to shop especially for when the weather gets warm. Even if you record you're vinyl to iPod, there is a difference in sound from some mp3s that are thin, too compressed & degraded.

I never noticed those missing songs because I owned Dah Shinin on cassette. I remember one more missing song that I asked Evil Dee about in Fat Beats a few years after Dah Shinin's release, I still trying to score a copy on 12":

984AsfbhoBE