PDA

View Full Version : Doom is getting old

noel411
10-17-2005, 03:40 AM
I just got the DangerDoom album, and I must say I'm far from amazed by it. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty nice, and I love his other stuff too, but he's just starting to get monotonous. I've never thought of him as a particularly talented mc, simply because he's not, but I've always found his music highly enjoyable and entertaining. But shit, you just don't use the same flow, delivery, lyrical approach, and overall style over Dangermouse beats, as you would over Madlib beats, as you would over Doom beats, as you would over Insomniac beats, as you would over..........basically, the guy needs to use a bit of variety if he's gonna put out so much music.

I don't know why he bothers getting beats from other people if he's just gonna approach them all in the same manner.

DigitalAb
10-17-2005, 03:52 AM
Tell you what, Doom is maad gifted, and I just started listening to dude. Crazy late but wow, da man has serious skills and character. People hate his voice huh? What!

Sofa King
The Mask
ATHF
Cross Hairs
Bada Bing

Just a taste of Dangerdoom. HOT!!!!

wutang4ever
10-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Doom might be creative and all that, but he cant rap for shit.

noel411
10-17-2005, 08:11 AM
but it's also my biggest disappointment this year. Noel I'm getting into Grimm |) and I see why you like him better than Doom now. Word. Grimm is about 100 times the mc Doom is, and it is quite simply blasphemous to say otherwise.

I do like the DangerDoom album, but it just really hit home with this one, how one dimensional Doom really is. For me anyway.

sungod
10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Word. Grimm is about 100 times the mc Doom is, and it is quite simply blasphemous to say otherwise.

I do like the DangerDoom album, but it just really hit home with this one, how one dimensional Doom really is. For me anyway.
you have to listen more carefully.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Danger Doom is a hot album, lyrics and beats are fire

Mixtape Mutt
10-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Doom is one of those emcee's that you either like or don't like. I for one, like Doom. MetalFace is the man, for some people Doom will grow on you. But you can't knock Doom though, dukes comes out with an album like every month.

G...
10-17-2005, 12:24 PM
DangerDoom is a muthafuckin' classic! One of the best albums to come out this year by far. Without a fuckin' doubt. Like Mixtape Mutt says, with Doom's shit... you either love it or you hate it, and I for one... fuckin' love it. ONE

faderlaceratah
10-17-2005, 12:25 PM
DANGERDOOM is sick! what are you saying!

graffitiwhat
10-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Doom is one of those emcee's that you either like or don't like. I for one, like Doom. MetalFace is the man, for some people Doom will grow on you. But you can't knock Doom though, dukes comes out with an album like every month.

your absolutely right, when i first bought operation:doomsday, i honestly hated it, i was stuck in my artifacts and organized konfusion type hiphop and operation doomsday just wasnt that, but then as time when on, i started to appreciate doom alot more because he was doing something different and it was dope as hell, i personally think doom is a genious and he is very innovative and original, you gotta hand that to him, hes an acquired taste plain and simple, although i think i may enjoy grimms the fall of ilbylas(spelling is off) better than operation:doomsday

Ebo
10-17-2005, 12:56 PM
...he was doing something different and it was dope as hell, i personally think doom is a genious and he is very innovative and original, ...
Word, Doom's skills may not be top-class, but when you hear him, you can sense that he's enjoying what he does, that in my opinion is what puts life in music

G...
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
^^^WORD FUCKIN LIFE

midGet
10-17-2005, 01:42 PM
:yes:

R3beLuTionAry
10-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Mf Doom !!!!!!!!!

Woozer
10-17-2005, 04:42 PM
what a suprise, a bunch of dickriders. Noel, i see what youre saying. Theres times when i cant stand doom and times when hes all i want to hear, because his style is basically the same on every album, every song, every verse. He doesnt have many styles, just one. I think danger doom is kinda weak for doom, theres a couple good songs but id rather him take his one style to madlib.

Woozer
10-17-2005, 04:49 PM
let me add i dont think doom was making this album to be a classic or to be very special. It not one big metaphor like mm food or its not for when youre smoked the fuck out like madvillian. Its a fun album with cartoon references and spots galore.

Warcloud Ish
10-17-2005, 04:56 PM
i respect the man for staying true, but i cant get into him, he lacks energy....i can understand why stoners enjoy his music though

noel411
10-17-2005, 05:16 PM
I see a lot of people jumping on Doom's nuts with absolutely nothing to offer, but I still haven't seen anybody make an attempt at refuting my point that he is extremely one dimensional, and approaches every beat in the same manner.

Like the_bitch said, his style fits Madlib beats. But unfortunately a lot of DangerDoom and his own beats, have a lot more energy than Madlib beats, and yet he approaches them in almost the exact same manner. He sounds lost at times on DangerDoom. Some of the beats don't fit his style at all, and his same old flow doesn't work over some of them either. I noticed on this album that he makes several references to his ill flow, but personally I think it could use a lot of work.

Personally, my favourite Doom release was VV2, because those slow, dark, gloomy beats fit his style like a glove. Pity it was so short.

J-DON
10-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Oh so people who say they are dooms fans in this thread are dickriders?? By that logic I could also say that you were just a plain hater then. Everybody who says they like doom has their own reason (and valid reasons) for it. Everybody who doesnt is also giving valid reasons for not liking him. I agree with the statement that doom isnt for everybody, and everybody i know either loves or hates the guy.

I still love doom but I do agree that the flow needs to change up a little on the next few albums. At least on Dangerdoom he seemed to be more into it than on MM FOOD. But his lyrics are still on point and witty.

noel411
10-17-2005, 06:40 PM
You're right, "jumping on his nuts" was an exageration. I basically used it for lack of a better term, and because I was in a hurry. I apologise for it. But my point is that I'm more interested in hearing peoples point of veiws on what I said, rather than why they like Doom, or just a simple "Doom is ill" or whatever. And it seems to have been completely missed that I actually said I really like his music. I just don't think he's a very good mc, and I think he needs to try to further his versatility on the mic.

And yeah, his lyrics are "witty", but that's all they are. It's getting old IMO.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Doom spits lyrics that no one else would ever touch. That makes him orginal, which is one reason why he is dope. If you don't feel him because him rhymes like he is drunk, thats fine, but if you break down what he is saying you'd know he got skills.

noel411
10-17-2005, 09:15 PM
I agree that he's original. I don't really see why that makes him dope though? If I recorded an album where I composed beats made entirely of various farting sounds, it would be original, but I doubt it would be "dope". You never know though, I might be onto something there..........anyway, I'm not into this whole "break down what he says" sort of deal. His lyrics seem pretty straight forward to me, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he looked at them the same.

DigitalAb
10-17-2005, 09:23 PM

MF Herbs
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Doom!!!

Woozer
10-18-2005, 12:47 AM
noel, i would have thought you had stopped trying to have intelligent conversation on here awhile ago

sungod
10-18-2005, 07:08 AM
been listening to doom's music since 2001 and still can't get enough of his mceeing... he's just nice with the words and very funny in his own manner

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-18-2005, 07:16 AM
I agree that he's original. I don't really see why that makes him dope though? If I recorded an album where I composed beats made entirely of various farting sounds
farting sounds? have you even heard operation doomsday?

noel411
10-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Yes, it's a nice album, but what's that got to do with farting sounds?

bringoutthegimp
10-18-2005, 07:34 AM
What do you have to say to all the haters?

Doom: You know what it is, I'm going to cream them. If someone's gonna come up with something better, then bring it! But you gotta get used to my voice, I'll tell you that right now! I'm spreading myself thin, huh? Pound for pound them others can't come with the lyrics like that. If anyone can, put 'em up then. Put 'em up! Nobody can't really do that, though! I'm like whoever get bored with it, fine, it's not for you. The record's not for everybody. But if you like rhymes, you like pretty good jokes, stuff like that, then it's us. this is dooms style, you dont like it? dont listen or buy the music, he aint gonna change up his flow or style anytime soon

noel411
10-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Haha, that's a pretty fucken cocky quote considering he's not even close to being one of the best lyricists in hip hop. Originality and/or uniqueness does NOT equal greatness. A basic dictionary will tell you that.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-18-2005, 07:56 AM
this thread is getting pointless

midGet
10-18-2005, 01:29 PM
I admire Doom thru his dope beats & ill lyrics & originality....fuck the flow or voice...

arcane
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Haha, that's a pretty fucken cocky quote considering he's not even close to being one of the best lyricists in hip hop. Originality and/or uniqueness does NOT equal greatness. A basic dictionary will tell you that.
I see what you're saying but I don't take his comment as being cocky, and I don't take it as him claiming to be the best either... the part about "this isn't for everybody" pretty much sums Doom up for me. I think what he's getting at in saying that nobody can touch him is that he's different than everything else out there, and he's not worried about the people that don't like him.

I can completely understand why people wouldn't like him. I personally enjoy his stuff very much - I agree that he has pretty much the one style, but the content of every verse is different and thoroughly entertaining every time. I like his constant references to the state of mainstream hip-hop these days ("order a rapper for lunch and spit out the chain") and to me his rhyme schemes more than make up for his lack of vocal energy. Actually, to me his energy comes in a different form - that of enthusiasm. You can't deny that he has fun writing and spitting his verses, and that enthusiasm really rubs off on me as the listener.

There aren't too many quotes I could write that would make you say "oh shit, that's sick", but he has an indescribable way of saying shit that just makes me shake my head and laugh in amazement. Like he says, he'll "probly still be speaking in rhymes as an old fart". And someone who loves hip-hop and loves being creative is going to keep my attention. I definitely understand when people don't share that opinion...

Peace.

Wzarecta
10-18-2005, 02:46 PM
I can see him being one dimensional, but for me, that one dimension is something noone else has and I can't get enough of it.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-18-2005, 03:00 PM
I see what you're saying but I don't take his comment as being cocky, and I don't take it as him claiming to be the best either... the part about "this isn't for everybody" pretty much sums Doom up for me. I think what he's getting at in saying that nobody can touch him is that he's different than everything else out there, and he's not worried about the people that don't like him.

I can completely understand why people wouldn't like him. I personally enjoy his stuff very much - I agree that he has pretty much the one style, but the content of every verse is different and thoroughly entertaining every time. I like his constant references to the state of mainstream hip-hop these days ("order a rapper for lunch and spit out the chain") and to me his rhyme schemes more than make up for his lack of vocal energy. Actually, to me his energy comes in a different form - that of enthusiasm. You can't deny that he has fun writing and spitting his verses, and that enthusiasm really rubs off on me as the listener.

There aren't too many quotes I could write that would make you say "oh shit, that's sick", but he has an indescribable way of saying shit that just makes me shake my head and laugh in amazement. Like he says, he'll "probly still be speaking in rhymes as an old fart". And someone who loves hip-hop and loves being creative is going to keep my attention. I definitely understand when people don't share that opinion...

Peace.
word. dangerdoom is sick just like food, madvillain and venomous villain just to name some of his more recent shit. Take a listen to the special herbs volumes and peep the production skill, plus on his solo shit he actually knows how to create albums with their own mood and style (king gheedorah is a ill album how the songs or sequenced and the skits, he's one of the best with that). I first heard Operation: Doomsday in like 2002 one of my boys let me have it and I wasn't feeling it at first but once you catch the groove of it, his albums are addictive.

anybody got this pic at a larger size? (i know its not the original album cover but I kind of like this better)
http://niarkos.free.fr/work/doomrec.jpg

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
but i understand the criticism that he can be one dimensional but like guy above me said where else can you get this style it's just chilledout buddha head shit if you only like super thugged out shit or strictly deep shit or whatever you probably not gonna feel it, but you can't deny his a witty lyricist?

Orion Nebulus
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Well you have people that like him and people that dont...thats the way it is. I for one think he's real dope lyrically and his beats are ill. One of the best emcees out there. Top 5 in my book.

iron_slang
10-18-2005, 03:29 PM
If u cats that r just ranting on with misguided info i think u should hear me out; Doom started out as ZEV LOVE X and he rapped in the same manner as he is doing today. So u should also understand that if ur just starting to get on the Doom tip is that Doom has been on the mic the same time Tribe, Brand Nubian & all those other cats were getting on; his flow is old-school & some people of today might not appreciate his individuality... he is just improvising. He doesnt need to change how he sounds.

The other problem is that peoples awarness of THE MASKED ONE is getting larger & with that people put to many high expectations onto him, i mean the guy tries putting out albums every three months if he can; just for us. So rather appreciate. Dooms main purpose was once putting on the mask was to; get back all those industy fucks that jepordized his whole shit, Do it for his brother Subroc & stay underground. Give the man a goddamn break headz..;shit

CrunchyBlack
10-18-2005, 03:42 PM
i think he's really overrated. but...he's just not my style i suppose. granted, he's a good lyricist...but i don't care how good an emcee's lyrics are if his beats and his voice sound wack.

EyeHyeAm
10-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Saying that he needs to be a more versatile MC is a valid point. But you also have to take into acount that that's not his approach. What he's after are the WORDS and SYLLABLES. He finds the most bugged out funny sounding words and tries to rhyme them. Who's going to take the time to find a rhyme for Slobadan Milosovik, including the syllables before -vik? Or who'll use words like, eegads, and anywho. He ustilizes the whole dictionary and he does it well. So if it not's broke, why fix it? And I'd say he's got mad quotables. Here's one of my favorites:

i only play the games that i win at,
and stay the same with more rhymes than there's ways to skin cats,
as a matter of fact let me rephrase,
with more rhymes than ways to fillet felines in these days

Even with those lines he's telling you, he's still the same Doom, but he's got more rhymes. THen he goes and gives you an example. lol

Wzarecta
10-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Saying that he needs to be a more versatile MC is a valid point. But you also have to take into acount that that's not his approach. What he's after are the WORDS and SYLLABLES. He finds the most bugged out funny sounding words and tries to rhyme them. Who's going to take the time to find a rhyme for Slobadan Milosovik, including the syllables before -vik? Or who'll use words like, eegads, and anywho. He ustilizes the whole dictionary and he does it well. So if it not's broke, why fix it? And I'd say he's got mad quotables. Here's one of my favorites:

i only play the games that i win at,
and stay the same with more rhymes than there's ways to skin cats,
as a matter of fact let me rephrase,
with more rhymes than ways to fillet felines in these days

Even with those lines he's telling you, he's still the same Doom, but he's got more rhymes. THen he goes and gives you an example. lolPersonally, I love it when he says exactumundo, somewhere on VV1 I think.

Also, as he does here, he so often rhymes the last two words of lines, making them even better.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-18-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks Wu-Matic. You're saying it like you make it bigger. If you can make a bigger one that would be ill, I wanna put it on a shirt, butif not I appreciate this one.

brown_dogg
10-18-2005, 07:12 PM
i love doom. i juss got into him recently and i've started to actually look into his lyrics. on tha Madvillain album, listen to Operation Lifesaver really carefully. it's a problem that all us guys had probably had to deal with before hahah.

noel411
10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Well at least most people seem to recognise that he is very one dimensional. I guess if ya'll enjoy hearing more and more of the same from him, that's cool. I'm personally getting tired of hearing him do the same thing over different beats.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-18-2005, 08:40 PM
He does rap like a nonchalant drunk bum but he is a first rate mc. You got to like him for his humour and deciphering his lyrics.

Don't let me find out who tried to bite
They're better off going to fly a kite in a fire fight
During a tornado time with no coat then I caught ya
Wrote the book on rhyems
A note from the author

You cannot front, under any circumstance, on lyrics like these.

the_57th_don
10-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Doom might be creative and all that, but he cant rap for shit.
doom is one of the best at rapping some of the shit he rhymes is amazin

killabee_1993
10-21-2005, 04:39 AM
^co-sign^ Doom is one of the best lyricists in hip hop right now. If Wu Tang is gonna gonna think about putting any guests on their next, even though I dont think they should, Doom would be one of my first choices on there. Biochemical Equation is good, but it lacks the chemistry of Doom being in the studio with the Clan.