PDA

View Full Version : Nas reminisces on the TDK cassette tape era

EAGLE EYE
01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
wshhUhjrg4nJd0z3VGXg

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
i miss tapes

cd's dont match the full sound of an analog tape. mp3's even worse.

hip hop espcially sounds better from a tape

i used to love taping hip hop shows from the radio, and putting together your own mixtapes from a double deck was rewarding as hell

obviously the bad points, all tapes lose their speed and pitch eventually. so do Cd's too but at a much slower rate, mp3's also decrease in quality with each play, but the difference takes even longer to notice

triPAUD
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
i miss tapes

cd's dont match the full sound of an analog tape. mp3's even worse.

hip hop espcially sounds better from a tape

i used to love taping hip hop shows from the radio, and putting together your own mixtapes from a double deck was rewarding as hell

obviously the bad points, all tapes lose their speed and pitch eventually. so do Cd's too but at a much slower rate, mp3's also decrease in quality with each play, but the difference takes even longer to notice

thats true about the mp3's? doesn't seem to make sense...

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-19-2011, 01:44 PM
its true....

its tiny though

i had actually noticed before I read about it too, on my old computer I had some old old mp3's, they were quieter and lacking slightly, but i never thought it was because they were old until I read about the problem

ive got some old prince Cd's from the 80's that are quiet as fuck now, even at top volume.

benzo
01-19-2011, 01:47 PM
you're fucking crazy, cds and mp3 don't "age".

Wh0am3ye?
01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
IDK about that, could just be the sound card or something.....

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
ok Benzo, as youre clearly comign across as an expert in the field, of course youre right.

not sure why youre qouting the word "age" like a fucking retard when the word wasnt even used

mp3's, like all stored files (jpegs, mp4s), decrease in quality with each save, transfer, and copy, slightly each time. if you have an old mp3 file, thats been transferred and saved numerous times over say, a decade, degradation to the file will occour

like i said though, its tiny youre losing more in quality when you save it to an mp3 format in the first place than you ever would in your lifetime of playing it

SL33
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM
hm.. never heard of this. i always thought that cd's have lifetime quality or whatever.

regarding cassete sound Q: i like to use random 'youtube 2 mp3' converters so i can download a song in poor quality cause it sounds cool when you use headphones. cracklings and all kinds of sounds make the mp3 more vintage, imo. maybe i'm buggin.

I remember buying various cassetes back when i didn't have my own PC or music system. My first cassete was Snoop's 'Game is to be sold' album and i swear it sounds better than a CD version.

fatboybrandon
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
That's a good look back to the analog era, I hope to hear the thoughts of more MCs or producers like that.

I still keep analog in my home along with the new digital, both music and photography since I come from and art/digital imaging background in addition to collecting music. Most the media for my blog is from analog tape such as Inspectah Deck (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/04/inspectah-deck-let-me-at-em-95.html)'s Let Me At Em (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/04/inspectah-deck-let-me-at-em-95.html) demo.

Even though analog material you can hold in ya hand is good, it's very reassuring to digitize and archive a record, tape or scanned photograph so it doesn't degrade over time after being transformed from physical into a mathematical file.

Shogah
01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Great video. The way we listen music today is totally different than back then and it also means that we see and understand music totally different.

But i remember cassetes though, searching for the begining of the song, there was a short period of time when cd's and cassetes were equally regarded.