PDA

View Full Version : Illmatic and It Was Written.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
01-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Do you think Nas recorded just 9 songs for this album?

I heard that Eric Sermon had recorded a song for Illmatic and that One on One was meant to be on Illmatic too (from the Streetfighter Soundtrack).

I know Star Wars, On the Real was made for the album.

For it was written there was meant to be a song with Method Man and D'Angelo. Silent Murder/Deja Vu was also recorded for it. LES has said to have recorded a song for IWW and i think he has an unreleased Primo and a Large Prof track.

claaa7
01-23-2011, 06:44 AM
"Star Wars" and "On The Real" wasn't made for 'Illmatic' at all, he put them on the anniversary edition as bonuses only. "Star Wars" was done around 2002, i think it was for "God's Son" but Nas didn't use it so Large Pro rhymed over it himself for his "1st Class" LP. "On The Real" was a track from '94-95 that had one verse by Nas and the others by KL and Cormega. For some reason Nas didn't want to be on that record anymore so KL and Screwball replaced him with Havoc. the solo version on the anniversary edition was recorded over the same beat but years later, Nas even says in the beginning "this verse is 10 years old" and for the next verse something about spitting some new shit.

but NaS do have an extreme catalouge of lost tapes so to speak, there was alot of demo tracks for "Illmatic" that didn't make the cut and can be found on the net in pretty bad quality. there's also alternative versions of at least "Represent", "Memory Lane" and "It Ain't Hard to Tell". LES had two songs on the retail version of "It Was Written" btw.

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-06-2011, 04:33 AM
I've always like It Was Written better than Illmatic. Illmatic is a little over-rated IMO. Don't get me wrong, still a cool album.

DJ Deoseyus
02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Why is this in Sound Shack? lol