PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Slept On Album

dad
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
What is your favorite Slept On album? Mine probally has to be Homeliss Derilex's Fraudulent: the Album

S1vk7bLn77o
DDyHmet4AAo
CzcPyKcG1CA
YX8MPwla7_k&feature=related

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Talib Kweli-The Beautiful Struggle
Vast Aire-Dueces Wild

dad
01-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Those two are sick. I wasnt a fan of Vast, but I listened to that, and I became one.

fatboybrandon
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
MJFB9U9B0ms&feature=related (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000010DL?ie=UTF8&tag=765imagi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000010DL)

I'll have to go with GZA's Words From A Genius album on Cold Chillin': 1 example of an artist getting caught up in a corporate trap then the album gets put out with poor promotion, and from there it gets slept on only to be dug up years later by true Hip Hop fans.

Bad moves by labels is a sad trend that hurt Hip Hop over the years, but some good albums have come out of those situations we can still dig up & enjoy.

The idea of a slept on album is an interesting one nowadays, due to the internet that concept has been redefined because defined groups of listeners are growing by the minute and access to music is more widespread. What might seem slept on by people on this forum might seem overrated or common to the ear of people on Phila Flava forums, etc.

Fatal Guillotine
01-22-2011, 03:27 PM
lcob- words from the duat

zooruka
01-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Bow down .... I think this album is mad slept on.

I know people might disagree, but I think this album bangz front to back and doesn't really get the props it deserves... I think that maybe partly due to the fact that it dropped during the N.Y golden era.

All m.c's came correct on this one.

peace

dad
01-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Bow down .... I think this album is mad slept on.

I know people might disagree, but I think this album bangz front to back and doesn't really get the props it deserves... I think that maybe partly due to the fact that it dropped during the N.Y golden era.

All m.c's came correct on this one.

peace

Fuck yeah man. That's probably my favorite album to come out of the west.

dad
01-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I have never been able to get into LCoB.

drippie k
01-22-2011, 05:17 PM
BTNHRessurection

JakobR
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Not sure they are slept on but they are usually left out when people talk about the greatest albums of all time. In my opinion they are masterpieces:

http://www.hotrapalbums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Eric-B.-Rakim-Follow-The-Leader-300x300.jpg

http://www.incilin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/talib_kweli_quality.jpg

Frank Sobotka
01-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I was just listening to Cypress Hill IV and it needs to be mentioned more when discussing the greatness of the Hill.

Recent albums people are sleeping on are the 7th seal & detox (pretty obvious people will ignore whatever is on there because they expect something to match 2001).

Devil's son
01-22-2011, 06:58 PM
I was just listening to Cypress Hill IV and it needs to be mentioned more when discussing the greatness of the Hill.

Recent albums people are sleeping on are the 7th seal & detox (pretty obvious people will ignore whatever is on there because they expect something to match 2001).

Very true, although it's not my favourite. That honour goes to your profile picture; Temples of Boom lll. Probably my favourite album ever and it's mad slept on. Everything's amazing on that album, especially Mugg's production and beats, such a grimy and dark album.

DJMethods
01-22-2011, 07:53 PM
ydPi8KRECWg

dad
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM
ydPi8KRECWg

fuck yeah, that shit is so sick.

triPAUD
01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
off the top,

http://i55.tinypic.com/20zycr6.jpg

claaa7
01-23-2011, 06:33 AM
i'd say Brand Nubian's "Everything is Everything" album from 1994. that is almost always picked out as their weakest effort and an average album overall but personally i think it's the best album they ever did. Lord Jamar's beats on there are "PANCAKE FAT" and he really uses the live instrumentation well, and lyrically it's tight and has a lot of good concepts plus discusses some real shit. anyone not familiar with this LP need to check out ASAP, this is my favorite of the LP and one of my all time favorite tracks:

toUMQybyxI4

then you got powerful shit like this:
eJfmEsXTgO8

and

9NckOfWGl1o

Socrates92
01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
off the top,

Hell yes, dope album.

dad
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
off the top,

I downloaded 3 albums of him. he's dope man, thanks alot!

Taskmaster2112
01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
i'd say Brand Nubian's "Everything is Everything" album from 1994. that is almost always picked out as their weakest effort and an average album overall but personally i think it's the best album they ever did. Lord Jamar's beats on there are "PANCAKE FAT" and he really uses the live instrumentation well, and lyrically it's tight and has a lot of good concepts plus discusses some real shit. anyone not familiar with this LP need to check out ASAP, this is my favorite of the LP and one of my all time favorite tracks:

and

9NckOfWGl1o

I think that "Return of the Dread" might be my favorite Brand Nubian song. their first four albums, including the 2 without Grand Puba, are all classics to me.

Djaminha
01-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Big Pooh - Sleepers
Skyzoo - Salvation
Median - Medians Relief
Phat Kat - Carte Blanch

Mic Tyson
01-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Pain Language-Dj Muggs and King Medallions. I Personally think this is the best Vs. album or second at the worst even though all the vs albums were nice.

7ljnc64xCj0

jBuWP2zGAOw

KTN_MYrcQ0o

mfnTnH7rssU

also royce da 5''9-Death is Certain

Moka only-Lowdown Suite 2

Mic Geronimo- The Natural

Buckwild-Diggin in the crates

Buckshot and 9th-Chemistry

Bodega Pop Tartz
01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
BTNHRessurection
Agree

I have never been able to get into LCoB.
They fake wu tang

Pain Language-Dj Muggs and King Medallions. I Personally think this is the best Vs. album or second at the worst even though all the vs albums were nice.

agreed

Dr. Simon Hurt
01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
ydPi8KRECWg

love that album

this song is amazing too

GfU6rZWJp-4

Mic Tyson
01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
yea that INI is crazy. if that came out when it was supposed to it would have been a classic at that time. i already consider it a classic tho

and what about a long hot summer? i think its kinda slept on as far as getting noticed even tho everybody who heard it thinks its great.

Dr. Simon Hurt
01-23-2011, 09:41 PM
^great album..."slaughtahouse" and "sittin on chrome" are both slept on too

prince paul "a prince among thieves"
de la soul "bionix"
el-p "i'll sleep when you're dead"
cunninlynguists "a piece of strange"

main_man
01-24-2011, 12:17 AM
el-p "i'll sleep when you're dead"

gotta co-sign my boy pandemic to the fullest on these two.
two of the best hip hop albums of the last 10 years to me personally.
el-p's shit blew me away when i first heard it. it was so different i had to listen to it like 3 times off the jump. way more coherent than his previous efforts, but pure rawness.

and cunninlynguists have been my tribe called quest for the last 8 years (since they aint around anymore). amazingly talented group and thats my favorite album by them.

and i really like the leak brothers album by cage & tame one. shermed out storytelling at its finest with dope beats behind them. cage is a really talented storytelling rapper. and i think tame-one has been killing shit on the solo tip. i understand that an album about pcp might turn most people off, but i guess im just bugged out like that.

and as far as slept on, i gotta say my west coast homeboys above the law are CRIMINALLY slept-on. these cats should still be getting props for their first 3 albums and the "vocally pimpin" e.p. they were way more realistic with the street shit than n.w.a. and i even think they might have been the first rappers to use the term "ballin". cold 187 and k-m-g were one of the best duos at the time. still are better than most.

mAlAkAz
01-24-2011, 01:59 AM
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/circa_76/BrooklynAc-1.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tWlXyMWCngY/SEJ829Rt6KI/AAAAAAAAAGY/_YjYBprANto/s320/Starr+Blazz+-+The+Way+Of+The+Bullet.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JXV52YHKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000CSUV5O/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music)

ALCATRAZ
01-24-2011, 04:09 AM
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/side86/albumart/6k.jpg

DrunkenMasta303
01-24-2011, 06:28 AM
10m4HDVzcwI

Undiluted Karma
01-24-2011, 06:49 AM
They fake wu tang

smh

cap
01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Shad - the old prince
Joell ortiz - the brick : bodega chronicles
Skyzoo - the salvation
Marco polo - port authority
Dead prez - RBG
Masta ace - a long hot summer (in my top 5 off all time)
Murs - 3:16
Sticky fingaz - black trash
Little brother - Getback (my personal favourite LB album)
Q unique - vengeance is mine

beautifulrock
01-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Soul Food - Goodie Mob
Del - Both Sides of the Brain
Deck - The Movement
Obie Trice - Cheers
Atmosphere - Seven's Travels
Doomtree - False Hopes
Boogie Monsters - Riders of the Storm
Cormega - The Realness
Organized Konfusion - Stress
Handsome Boy Modeling School - So...how's your girl
O.C. - Jewelz
Heiroglyphics - Third Eye Vision

liquidswords
01-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Back in like 04 and Necro his camp could not fail

Sabac - Sabacolypse A Change Gon' Come
Q-Unique Vengeance is Mine

Both brilliant albums

PS88pea8_64

_CqxIWwmtDY
oAGqWEiVRWU

r6MUoQ1U9Qs

Q_EQ9X2elqA

benzo
01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Roots - Phrenology and Tipping Point.

Socrates92
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM

I must remember to give this a listen, I remember enjoying Will Rap For Food but never checked them out after that.

IrOnMaN
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM
BTNHRessurection

+rep

I LOVE this album!

theDZA
01-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Very true, although it's not my favourite. That honour goes to your profile picture; Temples of Boom lll. Probably my favourite album ever and it's mad slept on. Everything's amazing on that album, especially Mugg's production and beats, such a grimy and dark album.

co-sign

top 10 hip hop albums of all time imo best cypress album and def slept on

triPAUD
01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Shad - the old prince
Joell ortiz - the brick : bodega chronicles
Skyzoo - the salvation
Marco polo - port authority
Dead prez - RBG
Masta ace - a long hot summer (in my top 5 off all time)
Murs - 3:16
Sticky fingaz - black trash
Little brother - Getback (my personal favourite LB album)
Q unique - vengeance is mine

props on that black trash, i was just about to say that. i didnt think of it, but its mad slept on is the brick. its dope, i still play that now. its such a vivid depiction of bk.

V1LLAIN
01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Artifacts - That's Them
Jeru Da Damaja - Wrath of the Math
Tha Alkaholiks - Coast 2 Coast
Godfather Don - The Diabolical
Kool Kieth & Motion Man - Masters of Illusion
RedMan - Malpractice
Scaramanga - Seven Eyes Seven Horns
Mr Hyde - Barn of the Naked Dead
Cage - Hells Winter
A Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes & Life
Common Sense - One Day it'll all makes Sense
Blazy Blazy - Blah Blah Blah
EPMD - Back In Business
Masta Ace Incorporated - Sittin' On Chrome
Group Home - Livin' Proof
King T - IV Life
Noreaga - N.O.R.E
Smif-N-Wessun - Dah Shinin'
Masta Killa - No Said Date
To me any way all slept on albums really no one ever mentions when talking about dope album.

THE MASON
01-29-2011, 03:05 PM
bw0Atm_W9J4
7jmTjIcjxFY
Y_B-R19oO-c
k1_NXNXmvMg

Pacsta
01-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Sabac - Sabacolypse A Change Gon' Come

ma fav solo-underground album eva.. counting Revolutionary Vol. 2

nyminute
02-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Word...Life-o.c.
The Funky Technician-Lord Finesse
The Best Part-J live
A Book Of Human Language-Aceyalone.

wutangclan97chamber
02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Atmosphere - Seven's Travels

Headshots: Se7en, God Loves Ugly, You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having are also dope Atmosphere albums. I think they're better than Seven's Travels, even though that was really good too.

Poet_Laureate
02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Little Vic- Each Dawn I Die...08's album w/ Buckwild & DJ Premier on boards, sick ass lyricism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5By3SHBp7Y0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyIbxZzGJeU&feature=related

good looks on that Planet Asia/Muggs album, dope

Company Flow- Funcrusher Plus, CLASSIC but i never see anyone mention it
Edan- Beauty & The Beat
Reks- Grey Hairs

dad
02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Little Vic- Each Dawn I Die...08's album w/ Buckwild & DJ Premier on boards, sick ass lyricism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5By3SHBp7Y0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyIbxZzGJeU&feature=related

good looks on that Planet Asia/Muggs album, dope

Company Flow- Funcrusher Plus, CLASSIC but i never see anyone mention it
Edan- Beauty & The Beat
Reks- Grey Hairs

just d/l'd the little vic, it's sick.

Twiztid-Wutang
02-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Lupe Fiasco Food and Liquor, and the Cool

Regardless of the all of a sudden respect he's getting and the millions of youtube views, those ''Fans'' didnt buy his shit, and should have. I copped them both

Chambers
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Binary Star - masters of the universe (most slept on album ever? shits fucking classic 11/10 + OneBeLo solo's)
Black Moon - total eclipse (and buckshot's solo's)

Socrates92
02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Binary Star - masters of the universe (most slept on album ever? shits fucking classic 11/10 + OneBeLo solo's)

Yeh Masters of the Universe was a dope album.

Mind Over Matter by Zion I would be one of my fav slept on albums.

Synthesizer Patel
02-09-2011, 06:03 PM
word to masters of the universe. that shit is probably my favorite album of all time.

anything...ANYTHING by The Coup is slept on. Period.
The Natural - Mic Geronimo
Ghetto Millionaire - Royal Flush

i understand this is about my favorite album, but hell...theres enough good shit out there thats being slept on, even here.

Meta4
02-09-2011, 06:57 PM

word the fuck up, son knows what the deal is. props on throwin total eclipse out there I bang that album like a period... once a month. album is HIGHLY slept on or forgotten to be mentioned. you gonna make me throw it in now.

"Keep thinkin its easy like all you gotta do is......" Buck DEMOLISHES that album.

Synthesizer Patel
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
word the fuck up, son knows what the deal is. props on throwin total eclipse out there I bang that album like a period... once a month. album is HIGHLY slept on or forgotten to be mentioned. you gonna make me throw it in now.

"Keep thinkin its easy like all you gotta do is......" Buck DEMOLISHES that album.

cosign. not only were the lyrics on point, but production is also dope as fuck.