PDA

View Full Version : Black Thought Talks Solo LP, Singing And Money Making Jam Boys..

issues
01-28-2011, 02:27 AM
While he showcases his singing nightly on Jimmy Fallon, Black Thought says he's been singing for a long time and he's also working on a solo album.

After a few postponed attempts, Philadelphia emcee and Roots co-founder Black Thought is at work on a solo album. Thought was rumored to be planning a solo effort for some time, but tracks from that project, such as “Thought At Work,” were eventually co-opted into songs on The Roots’ albums.

“The solo joint is in the works right now,” Black Thought told the New York Post. “Right now I’m putting together an EP for Def Jam; it’s probably going to be called The Talented Mr. Trotter. The Roots songs come from just a core foundation of contributors, but for my solo endeavor I’ll probably be reaching outside of that circle.”

Before fans see The Talented Mr. Trotter, Black Thought is working on a mixtape with fellow emcees Dice Raw, Sugar Tongue Slim and Truck North. Collectively known as the Money Making Jam Boys, Thought says their mixtape, entitled “Jam Boys Prestige,” should be released within a few weeks.

In the meantime, Black Thought holds down his nightly gig with the rest of The Roots as the house band for “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.” The position has allowed Thought to showcase his vocal range as a fill-in background singer for some of the show’s booked musical guests. And while those who don’t remember songs such as 1995’s “Silent Treatment” may be new to the idea of Black Thought as a vocalist, he says he’s been plying the trade since elementary school.

“I’ve always been a vocalist…I’ve always been able to sing,” Thought added. “I was in city choir when I was in second or third grade, and I was in a choir at college. I’ve been an emcee since the age of nine. When The Roots came out and got our first deal in 1993 it just a different climate in Hip Hop. It wasn’t necessarily embraced for a rapper or an emcee to showcase their singing skills as well. Now you’ve got your Drake’s and Nicki Minaj and it’s like you almost have to know how to sing as well to be considered the full package.”

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.13846/title.black-thought-talks-solo-lp-singing-and-money-making-jam-boys

a Black Thought solo LP.. been waiting for this forever..

claaa7
01-28-2011, 02:55 AM
yes i really hope it goes down this time, altho you could argue that albums like "The Tipping Point" and "Game Theory" in reality ain't no different than a Black Thought solo album would be. still, i'm looking out for that EP; Black Thought just keeps getting better and better, out of all the hundreds of verses i've heard from him maybe 5 are so-so and the rest are incredible. to me had the best verse on the entire "Apollo Kids" album, and his verse on "Little Ghetto Boy" was one of the best of last year.

Money Making Jam Boys's mixtape is defo something i'm gonna check out as well, altho i only really like with Tariq and Dice Raw. i wonder what happened with BT's supposed album together with producer Danger Mouse - now that would've been a classic!

issues
01-28-2011, 03:27 AM
word..

hes just pure hip hop.. a true spitter..

incredible flow and great lyrics to match..

one of my all time favorite emcees..

will be interesting to see how the production goes..

Inspektah Meth-Tical
01-28-2011, 06:24 AM
He needs to get some Pete Rock and Premier on this album and i would love for a Nas and Black Thought track also i think they're needs to be Mos Def/Kweli/Common collabo.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-28-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm kinda dissappointed in him. The last Roots album had something strange going on - it's the first time Black Thought was the weakest link. AND I LOVE LISTENING TO THE ALBUM...but he kinda got in his LilWayne mode

Walking like the lost boys of Sierra Leone
The trail of tears what they got me like a Cherokee on
Between the ears something I require therapy on
for the working the bone like my name Robert Dion
I go above and beyond, the duty called, truly y'all
Even though they kind of blew me off like a booty call
Asked me if I'm just another muli or a movie star
Forced to face the music like a graduate of Juilliard

And why do haters separate us like we siamese?

Try'na numb it with that Ketel like I'm from the Ukraine

Hit me up at black.gov like the government
^Jesus

I f**k around, "Do The Right Thing" like Spike now

We livin in a war zone like Rwanda

Before I rise and shine like a neon sign

And burn the marijuan' like Buju Banton

These kids bringing me the noise like the bomb squad

A lot of people counting on me, kinda like a digit

I get into your head and spread like a pandemic

Uh, remix, rising up out of the flames like a Phoenix
Straining to carry the weight of my brain like a genius
^combo

I blast off then lay 'em out like a Tempur-Pedic

and start feeling mixed signals like Morse code

feeling torn like they fed me to the lions
^^^this one I like, but still.

Before my time start to wind down like the Mayans
I show 'em how I got the grind down like a science
^combo

Act like an activist; you know, active
^Jesus

Get turned to toast like raising your glasses

Often nasty like Monster Mashing

Kings that pull strings like Dorothy Ashby
Jawns keep telling me I'm great like Gatsby
Caught like a felony
^triple combo

Anybody feel me? I hope he'll put more effort in his EP.

issues
01-28-2011, 08:34 AM
hes just using alot of similies..

personally i thought he went in on the album..

his lyrics were on point.. his flow was strong..

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-28-2011, 08:40 AM
yes, but they are not really that good

what makes a great lyricist? go listen to Game Theory, he really destroyed that shit. he is like the #1 guy you go listen to, when you want hiphop quality music

but he's not in his A-mode right now, far from it

claaa7
01-28-2011, 09:33 AM
i disagree, Black Thought is just as dope now as he's always been, the strongest link on "How I Got Over" by far. only thing was that he could've had a little more mic time, there was alot of guests just like on Ghost's album. i wasn't bugged by the similies thing the least

benzo
01-28-2011, 09:37 AM
yes i really hope it goes down this time, altho you could argue that albums like "The Tipping Point" and "Game Theory" in reality ain't no different than a Black Thought solo album would be.

peace claaa7. why do you feel that way about Game Theory? I would agree that TP feels like a BT solo but to me Phrenology would take that title since that's the one that literally morphed into a Roots album. did you mean to say Phrenology, by chance?

claaa7
01-28-2011, 09:51 AM
peace claaa7. why do you feel that way about Game Theory? I would agree that TP feels like a BT solo but to me Phrenology would take that title since that's the one that literally morphed into a Roots album. did you mean to say Phrenology, by chance?

i don't mean to take anything away from either Roots album but what i meant was that all albums after Malik B left could in a way be viewed as BT solo albums. "Rising Down" and "How I Got Over" got a lot of guests all over tho, but from "Phrenology" to "Game Theory" he is the voice heard on all the records with a few guests dropping by. but of course they are all Roots album too, all the bands playing and production help make them what they are just as much as Tariq's perofmrances.

Sinapse
01-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I think a BT solo would sound diff than any of The Roots albums, even the one's featuring mostly BT on the mic, because of the production. That's the whole point of doing a solo, so that he can work with a variety of producers that fall outside the Roots' sound and make a diff sounding record. An emcee can be as versatile as he wants but the production kinda locks you into a sound.

Money Making Jam Boys are that shit. Another way for BT to just be more raw and make fun music, a lil diff than the heavy/conscious ideas you find on Roots' LPs.

DJ Deoseyus
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Looking forward to his solo album.

benzo
01-28-2011, 11:43 AM
i don't mean to take anything away from either Roots album but what i meant was that all albums after Malik B left could in a way be viewed as BT solo albums. "Rising Down" and "How I Got Over" got a lot of guests all over tho, but from "Phrenology" to "Game Theory" he is the voice heard on all the records with a few guests dropping by. but of course they are all Roots album too, all the bands playing and production help make them what they are just as much as Tariq's perofmrances.

I see your point. Game Theory just never struck that way especially since Malik B was actually on the record after been gone for a few albums.

THE MASON
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
great news, i been wanting a BT solo for years.

i agree to extent with C7 that from Phernology to Game Theory could be looked at as BT solo's but i always knew the Roots as a muscial collective, so from that stand point, the whole band is considered in the making of the album imo. i think Tipping Point is the closest yet, thats just like a showcase of Blacks talent imo, check tracks like Boom, he goes off with mad styles, classic BDK and KGR in one verse

but ya, a Black Thought solo = instant cop

claaa7
01-28-2011, 02:24 PM
yeah definitely, i meant it more in the way like i view "Grandmasters" as a GZA solo album but i also see it as a collaboration with DJ Muggs if that makes sense.

THE MASON
01-28-2011, 02:45 PM
^no doubt, i feel that.

GhettoGnom
01-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Word, definitely looking forward to this..

“Right now I’m putting together an EP for Def Jam; it’s probably going to be called The Talented Mr. Trotter. The Roots songs come from just a core foundation of contributors, but for my solo endeavor I’ll probably be reaching outside of that circle.”

I wonder who "that circle" includes.. I'm guessing he'll get some 9th(hopefully not too much), a track or two by Pete Rock. Hopefully some Preemo. Madlib and Black Milk maybe? Would've been dope if they brought their a-game.

Whoever he gets though, it better not be some average ish after all his releases with The Roots.. That would be disappointing as fuck.

Undiluted Karma
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
^I hope not man, hopefullly we might see some Rae and GFK on there, GFK is on Def Jam so that could definetely work.

claaa7
01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Word, definitely looking forward to this..

“Right now I’m putting together an EP for Def Jam; it’s probably going to be called The Talented Mr. Trotter. The Roots songs come from just a core foundation of contributors, but for my solo endeavor I’ll probably be reaching outside of that circle.”

I wonder who "that circle" includes.. I'm guessing he'll get some 9th(hopefully not too much), a track or two by Pete Rock. Hopefully some Preemo. Madlib and Black Milk maybe? Would've been dope if they brought their a-game.

Whoever he gets though, it better not be some average ish after all his releases with The Roots.. That would be disappointing as fuck.

i think by that circle he's talking about The Roots producers like ?uestlove, James Poyser, Kamal Gray, etc. i agree on your choices, i really want him to get deep with producers who's main focus is sample based boom bap. i think Danger Mouse is very likely to appear since they were originally gonna do it together. Pete Rock is someone i really hope for and Madlib would be cool too like you say. I think BT only jumped on one Madlib heater before but that was crazy:

vHF9unMup7o

THE MASON
01-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Pete Rock production would be dope, Madlib would be a good fit too. im sure he could get a lot of cats to contribute

Black Thought probably got some Dilla beats in the vault as well.

THE MASON
01-29-2011, 02:51 PM
is there any other Money Making Jam Boys albums or mixtapes out there? or is this a first?

claaa7
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
it's the first tape they have done together. i just posted the single from it called "Day Job" which just leaked over @ my blog.