PDA

View Full Version : Kool Herc is really sick and needs surgery

Taskmaster2112
01-31-2011, 08:26 AM
since i first saw this last night, i was surprised to not see anything on the boards about this this morning. Premier revealed that Kool Herc has some kind of illness and needs surgery as soon as possible but he doesn't have health insurance so he can't afford it. donations via paypal can be made here:

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2011/01/31/update-donations-to-kool-herc-via-paypall-now-available/

there's more information about this on hiphopdx and 2dopeboyz as well. let's hope that a true legend of the culture gets into better health as soon as possible.

fatboybrandon
01-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for caring Taskmaster. I was reading about this over at OkayPlayer and PhilaFlava forums before I saw your post here. I'm checking to see what I can do, every little bit helps.

I was afraid this day would come where a true pioneer of this culture is at a disadvantage, while the culture he made remains a billion dollar industry. It goes to show what went wrong.

I dedicated a post to him, I hope he recovers and is back to normal health soon!

http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2011/01/preserving-culture-podcast-by-percee-p.html

Undiluted Karma
01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Admittedly I know nothing about Kool Herc, only that hes revered as a legend, but its sad to see somebody in ill health and not having the funds to afford the healthcare.

@ FB Brandon I'm watching that Percee P vid now, looks good, thanks.

LORD NOSE
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
if these platinum teeth wearing niggas don't come up off some money we takin pliers to niggas mouths

true spit yo

ALCATRAZ
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Admittedly I know nothing about Kool Herc

yr from the uk. its totally understandable that yr knowledge on hip hop history is limited.

JakobR
01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
yr from the uk. its totally understandable that yr knowledge on hip hop history is limited.

Yeah, they don't have internet and books in the uk. Just because he doesn't know kool doesn't mean his knowledge is "limited"...

You dont have to know every single person related to hip hop to be knowledgeable.

LORD NOSE
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Kool Herc started this shit though

Sham-iLL
01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
r.i.p dj kool herc

Taskmaster2112
01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
r.i.p dj kool herc

where'd you hear that? i'm not seeing that he died anywhere

Taskmaster2112
01-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Admittedly I know nothing about Kool Herc, only that hes revered as a legend, but its sad to see somebody in ill health and not having the funds to afford the healthcare.

Kool Herc's wikipedia page is surprisingly thorough, and it'll fill you in on why hes so revered in the hip hop community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DJ_Kool_Herc

LORD NOSE
01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Hip Hop

capital letters

Undiluted Karma
01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
@ Jakob R ignore that guy, hes a buffoon :)

@ Taskmastr, yeah thanks, ive been reading about him

Sham-iLL
01-31-2011, 08:33 PM
where'd you hear that? i'm not seeing that he died anywhere

it's obvious that no one is gonna help him and he's gonna die. sad but true

APOLLO STASH
01-31-2011, 09:27 PM
I'd help him but I can't even help my damn self. Get Kool soon

LONDON!
02-01-2011, 01:34 AM
kool herc is the originator of hip hop along wit other heads like africa bambaata & grandmaster flash, he has health problems and hasen't got any health insurance

if heads could show that love and send some contributions to this email adress that would be a good look, if this was rock, this brother would be a billionaire, i swear down, its bigger than music, healthcare is a human being right and should be free, represent for cause people

Supporters can send monetary donations to Herc via PayPal (cindycampbell1@aol.com) or snail mail: Kool Herc Productions PO Box 20472 Huntington Station, NY 1174

LORD NOSE
02-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Supporters can send monetary donations to Herc via PayPal (cindycampbell1@aol.com)

and if it wasn't for Cindy, Herc most likely would not have never brought the turntables downstairs and started Hip Hop

Taskmaster2112
02-01-2011, 08:19 AM
in spite of some people being dicks about the failing health of one of the most important people in the history of Hip Hop (i'm looking at you, Sham-ILL), it seems that Herc has received enough donation-wise (probably from the paypal donations from fans and from artists chipping in). it looks like he will get his surgery. what little info there is right now can be found here:

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2011/02/01/update-kool-hercs-bills-are-getting-handled/

also, Premier suggests a cool idea of having a concert every year where all of the proceeds go to helping veterans of the culture who don't have much money or insurance with their health problems. if the money was handled properly and the money actually got to those people that need it, i bet a lot of legends would take part in yearly concerts like that either for free or for much less money than their contracts usually require.

fatboybrandon
02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Premier suggests a cool idea of having a concert every year where all of the proceeds go to helping veterans of the culture who don't have much money or insurance with their health problems. if the money was handled properly and the money actually got to those people that need it, i bet a lot of legends would take part in yearly concerts like that either for free or for much less money than their contracts usually require.

Great idea, I had something like that in the back of my mind for awhile but wasn't in the position to bring it together. I also remember Nas (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/10/mobb-deep-feat-raekwon-nas-eye-for-eye.html) mentioning a similar idea a few years back.

Taskmaster2112
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
here is an article from the New York times that clarifies Kool Herc's condition and his financial/insurance problems:

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2011/02/01/update-kool-hercs-bills-are-getting-handled/

Dr. Simon Hurt
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm glad he's able to get his surgery and these are definitely good ideas, but it should also be the responsibility of these guys to make sure their finances are in good order. They are adults, after all. There's no excuse not to set money aside, when you know you're in a field with no healthcare plan.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm glad he's able to get his surgery and these are definitely good ideas, but it should also be the responsibility of these guys to make sure their finances are in good order. They are adults, after all. There's no excuse not to set money aside, when you know you're in a field with no healthcare plan.

fuck that

he lives in the states, you have a worse/backwards healthcare system than most 3rd world countries

considering this man is widely accepted to have STARTED HIP HOP, all big fans of the genre should be HAPPY to donate to a man in need, considering all the enjoyment his 'invention' has given us

lifes tough, obviously we cant all live our lives perfectly and with money like Pandemic over here

from what I can gather unable to pay health bills is VERY common thing for people who arent blessed with wealth in the states

Taskmaster2112
02-01-2011, 03:29 PM
from what I can gather unable to pay health bills is VERY common thing for people who arent blessed with wealth in the states

yeah it's especially a problem for musicians/DJs/artists who don't get health insurance and for the most part do not make very much money.

triPAUD
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
i knew he'd get the money though. people ignore the many charities hip hop artists do and how much these cats look up to those dudes. like luda alone would probably just drop the cash. i could see these dudes footin the bill and not even sayin shit about it. not everyone uses publicizes the charitable things they're doin.

LORD NOSE
02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
niggas may still get the pliers to they teeth though

LORD NOSE
02-02-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.sohh.com/2011/02/kool_herc_speaks_out_this_has_been_going.html?utm_ source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=general-feed

"We live in one of the superpowers of the world!" Herc said in a statement to MTV (http://www.sohh.com/2011/02/kool_herc_speaks_out_this_has_been_going.html?utm_ source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=general-feed#) News on Tuesday (February 1). " 'Give me your tired, your poor ... ' and then you don't take care of them? There should be no weak ants in the colony. There shouldn't be anyone fighting for health care! This has been going on too damn long! We fought for 1520 Sedgwick to get landmark status, and in 2007, New York State officially recognized it as the 'Birthplace of Hip Hop'. Now we are fighting for health care not just for me, but for everyone. I see this situation as another quest for me to shine light on a sensitive issue for the community. I'm an instrument of God. I'm here for a purpose and I want to be here for the solution." (MTV)

TAURO
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
There's no excuse not to set money aside, when you know you're in a field with no healthcare plan.

C'mon man, how can you say that when Herc at the time was spinning simply to uplift his community, he had no idea it was going to turn into a billion dollar industry much less be in a "field". I think every artist and to an extent the fans, should share the obligation of making sure these founders of hip hop culture can live out what little time they have left in comfort.

If it were up to me I would make every artist/DJ etc pay an annual fee of $5000 towards some sort of hip hop icons fund, to someone like 50 or Jay Z that type of money can be found under their couch.