PDA

View Full Version : Pattch82 presents: JAYLIB - THE OTHER SHIT EP

Pattch82
02-04-2011, 04:45 AM
Following on from the MADVILLAIN compilation that I dropped recently, here’s another lil something I been working on. This compilation collects pretty much all of the other collaborations between Madlib & Dilla. I haven’t included any tracks from the ‘Champion Sound’ album, the ‘Jaylib Remixes’ EP that Madlib dropped or the ‘Jaylib Demo Tape’. This is just the Other Shit!

It also includes a RARE AS FUCK Jaylib track called ‘The Ruckus’ that was only ever issued on a Stones Throw promo CD, never been issued on any retail albums or compilations.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Esd7DrrvpT0/S9EpqiMcIZI/AAAAAAAAAGo/dIqlc6XpDpg/s1600/jaylib.jpg

JAYLIB – The Other Shit EP

The Message (Prod. J Dilla)
Ice (Alternate Version) feat. MED (Prod. Madlib)
Bonus Beat (Prod. Madlib)
No $ No Toke (Prod. Madlib)
The Ruckus (UNRELEASED EXCLUSIVE!!)
J Dilla – The $ (Madlib Remix)
J Dilla – Make ‘Em NV (Madlib Remix)
Untitled (Bonus Beat)
Quasimoto – Hydrant Game (Jaylib Remix) (Prod. J Dilla)
No Games (Original Version) (Prod. Madlib)
The Red (Original Version) (Prod. J Dilla)
Madlib – Take It Back (Prod. J Dilla)
Madlib – The Wigflip (Prod. J Dilla)
Jaylib - Louder (Blast Your Radio Theme)
Don't know how long this link will last, but check it out below…

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LIGP34N2

Peace!

claaa7
02-04-2011, 04:57 AM
thanks man, i'm downloading now.. i think i might have even some more Jaylib tracks, all produced by Dilla and only featuring Madlib rapping. it's 15 tracks plus the intro that was used on the actual album. you could also include the new Jaylib track that was on Madlib Medicine Show #11. but this looks dope, i love Jaylib!

Stones Throw is a fucking bitch tho when it comes to taking down links, you know i posted your Madvillian "The Other Shit" EP on my blog and Stones Throw took it down and said if i would do it again that they would take legal action against me. i don't know what's there problems, it ain't retail music anyways. smh.

Pattch82
02-04-2011, 05:07 AM
thanks man, i'm downloading now.. i think i might have even some more Jaylib tracks, all produced by Dilla and only featuring Madlib rapping. it's 15 tracks plus the intro that was used on the actual album. you could also include the new Jaylib track that was on Madlib Medicine Show #11. but this looks dope, i love Jaylib!

Stones Throw is a fucking bitch tho when it comes to taking down links, you know i posted your Madvillian "The Other Shit" EP on my blog and Stones Throw took it down and said if i would do it again that they would take legal action against me. i don't know what's there problems, it ain't retail music anyways. smh.

Peace fam,

I did include the Jaylib track from Medicine Show #11, it's the last track. Which Jaylib tracks is it that you have.../ Is it 'The Rough Drafts' (a.k.a. Jaylib Sampler). I purposely didnt include any of those tracks because they kinda stand alone as the first incarnation of Jaylib. It was basically Madlib rapping over beats from one of Dilla's beat CD's. Madlib had no intention of releasing them, but Stones Throw put one of the tracks on the B-Side to Madlib's LAX to JFX single. Dilla heard about it and nitiated the collab.

I kinda wanted to keep this EP to just tracks that werent included on 'Champion Sound', the 'Jaylib Remix EP' and 'The Rough Drafts' (Jaylib Sampler) because those 3 stand alone as albums in there own right.

If you got any other Jaylib shit though, up it fam!

Peace!

claaa7
02-04-2011, 05:22 AM
yeah that's the "Rough Drafts" i got but the actual story is that Madlib was gonna put out a song on white label through Stones Throw but didn't have a B-side so he just rhymed over the instrumental to Busta Rhymes "Enjoy Da Ride" (i think it was) and labeled it Jaylib. this was in 2002 and that's how Dilla heard about it and wanted to make it an official project so they started sending beat tapes to eachother. Jay Dee sent the beat CD with those tracks that Madlib rhymed over and then got leaked but those were for "Champion Sound", Dilla most likely had a similiar beat CD he rhymed over. at least that's how i understand it!

peace and thx again homie. repped

btw - check out this compilation i did, "Evolution Of The Groove: From Jazz to Hip-Hop", it's one of my favorites yet and i would love to hear your take on it. Madlib, Dilla, RZA, Nas, DJ Krush, DJ Premier, Guru, Diamond D and Tribe is featured on the hip-hop side then you got guys like Donald Byrd, Miles Davis, Brother Jack McDuff, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and others from the jazz side.

http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/02/if-youre-rapper-or-even-fan-you-gotta.html

Pattch82
02-04-2011, 05:35 AM
yeah that's the "Rough Drafts" i got but the actual story is that Madlib was gonna put out a song on white label through Stones Throw but didn't have a B-side so he just rhymed over the instrumental to Busta Rhymes "Enjoy Da Ride" (i think it was) and labeled it Jaylib. this was in 2002 and that's how Dilla heard about it and wanted to make it an official project so they started sending beat tapes to eachother. Jay Dee sent the beat CD with those tracks that Madlib rhymed over and then got leaked but those were for "Champion Sound", Dilla most likely had a similiar beat CD he rhymed over. at least that's how i understand it!

peace and thx again homie. repped

btw - check out this compilation i did, "Evolution Of The Groove: From Jazz to Hip-Hop", it's one of my favorites yet and i would love to hear your take on it. Madlib, Dilla, RZA, Nas, DJ Krush, DJ Premier, Guru, Diamond D and Tribe is featured on the hip-hop side then you got guys like Donald Byrd, Miles Davis, Brother Jack McDuff, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and others from the jazz side.

http://claaa7.blogspot.com/2011/02/if-youre-rapper-or-even-fan-you-gotta.html

I heard a similar but slightly different version of the story, not much different, but apparently it was J Rocc that initially gave Madlib the beat CD of Dilla's beats. Madlib recorded raps over every track. Peanut Butter Wolf decided to use one of them for the B-side to a 12" he was putting out on Stones Throw. Thats when Dilla heard about it and contacted Madlib. Whatever the story though, it resulted in some dope as fuck music!! I wish they had time to complete the second album they were working on!!!

Check out the link below, gives more info on 'The Rough Drafts'...

http://unheard78.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaylib-redux-sorry-no-downloads-this.html

And this link is the page Stones Throw put up when the Jaylib and Madvillain demo tapes both leaked online. It was designed to show the differences between the demo's and the retail...

http://web.archive.org/web/20071012113712/http://stonesthrow.com/news/fake_vs_real/index.html

And yeah, I'll check out that compilation that you put up fam, I'm not massively into Jazz but I'm getting into it more and more so I'll defo check this out and drop my thoughts on it. I've heard the Madlib and RZA tracks already but non of the others.

Peace!

claaa7
02-04-2011, 06:08 AM
aight thanks for the link! btw, do you happen to have the Madvillain leaked demos as well?

you know what i didn't like jazz much either before but now it's my favorite besides hip-hop and if you liked Madlib's "Shades of Blue" you will love this compilation. like i said it's hip-hop by the best remixing jazz tunes, it also has an incredibly tight verse by Nas on track #5.

Pattch82
02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
aight thanks for the link! btw, do you happen to have the Madvillain leaked demos as well?

you know what i didn't like jazz much either before but now it's my favorite besides hip-hop and if you liked Madlib's "Shades of Blue" you will love this compilation. like i said it's hip-hop by the best remixing jazz tunes, it also has an incredibly tight verse by Nas on track #5.

Yeah I've got 2 versions of the Madvillain demo too. I got a version that I DLd off the net and I've also got a version on cassette cos I've got the deluxe Madvillain boxset that came with the Madvillainy Remix album, vinyl, cassette and t-shirt.

I dont know how to get my cassettes onto my comp to get them uploaded tho, any idea...?

I can upload the other one though. I'll get it upped today sometime.

Peace!

GhostfaceThaPharoahe
02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
So much knowledge being dropped in this thread, big thanks to both of you.

Martial-Expert
02-05-2011, 04:16 AM
thanks this is just the kinda thing am looking for.
this song is to you :

SUlTUK3d39Y

claaa7
02-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Yeah I've got 2 versions of the Madvillain demo too. I got a version that I DLd off the net and I've also got a version on cassette cos I've got the deluxe Madvillain boxset that came with the Madvillainy Remix album, vinyl, cassette and t-shirt.

I dont know how to get my cassettes onto my comp to get them uploaded tho, any idea...?

I can upload the other one though. I'll get it upped today sometime.

Peace!

haha you're the biggest Stones Throw head i know, props fam. that Madvillain box set looked dope as hell but it was very expensive. is the cassette on there the exact same as the one you downloaded that leaked prior to the album?? either way i would be very happy if you could up it for me (just label the file something totally different like "Yoghurt on Wax featuring Ninja Turtles" or some shit so ST doesn't notice in an instance).

ripping cassettes can be a hassle, you need a special line-in connection hooked up between your computer and your cassette player and then use a program like audacity to record it while the tape is rolling. then you have to cut up the tracks and make them into mp3's. it's the same when you rip vinyl too... but just upload the one you downloaded please!

btw, what did you think of Madlib's "Shades Of Blue"?? to me that's one of my favorites of his although i don't like his other jazz stuff very much.

claaa7
02-05-2011, 06:09 AM
thanks this is just the kinda thing am looking for.
this song is to you :

SUlTUK3d39Y

aaah, classic ish :)
did you know it was recorded in 1998?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
I heard a similar but slightly different version of the story, not much different, but apparently it was J Rocc that initially gave Madlib the beat CD of Dilla's beats. Madlib recorded raps over every track. Peanut Butter Wolf decided to use one of them for the B-side to a 12" he was putting out on Stones Throw. Thats when Dilla heard about it and contacted Madlib. Whatever the story though, it resulted in some dope as fuck music!! I wish they had time to complete the second album they were working on!!!

Check out the link below, gives more info on 'The Rough Drafts'...

http://unheard78.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaylib-redux-sorry-no-downloads-this.html

And this link is the page Stones Throw put up when the Jaylib and Madvillain demo tapes both leaked online. It was designed to show the differences between the demo's and the retail...

http://web.archive.org/web/20071012113712/http://stonesthrow.com/news/fake_vs_real/index.html

And yeah, I'll check out that compilation that you put up fam, I'm not massively into Jazz but I'm getting into it more and more so I'll defo check this out and drop my thoughts on it. I've heard the Madlib and RZA tracks already but non of the others.

Peace!

i remember seeing that exact page back a few years ago on Stones Throw website and damn i wanna hear the jaylib demo i will see if i can find my copy of the j.rocc vs jaylib mixtape shit has all the demo shit plus the album stuff plus various joints of theres its pretty dope they only put it out as a promo on one of there podcasts a while back

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
02-05-2011, 09:34 AM
here's the link to j.rocc versus jaylib shit is banging
http://www.stonesthrow.com/jukebox/jaylib-vs-jrocc.mp3

ill see if i can edit it down and make a track listing of it

Pattch82
02-06-2011, 04:01 AM
haha you're the biggest Stones Throw head i know, props fam. that Madvillain box set looked dope as hell but it was very expensive. is the cassette on there the exact same as the one you downloaded that leaked prior to the album?? either way i would be very happy if you could up it for me (just label the file something totally different like "Yoghurt on Wax featuring Ninja Turtles" or some shit so ST doesn't notice in an instance).

ripping cassettes can be a hassle, you need a special line-in connection hooked up between your computer and your cassette player and then use a program like audacity to record it while the tape is rolling. then you have to cut up the tracks and make them into mp3's. it's the same when you rip vinyl too... but just upload the one you downloaded please!

btw, what did you think of Madlib's "Shades Of Blue"?? to me that's one of my favorites of his although i don't like his other jazz stuff very much.

Peace fam,

I've managed to rip the cassette to my computer, took me a while to figure it out but I've done it! lol Just working on separating the tracks and then I'll up it for you. And yeah, the cassette is the demo that originally leaked, but there are one or two differences - I'll explain when I up it. According to Stones Throw, the cassette Madvillain demo is the only official release of the demo. I'll get it upped asap.

I love Madlib's Shades Of Blue work too, I prefer it over most of his Yesterday's New Quintet stuff. I like the mixes that he does of other peoples work i.e. MMS#8, rather than his owm actual jazz work.

Peace!

Pattch82
02-06-2011, 04:04 AM
i remember seeing that exact page back a few years ago on Stones Throw website and damn i wanna hear the jaylib demo i will see if i can find my copy of the j.rocc vs jaylib mixtape shit has all the demo shit plus the album stuff plus various joints of theres its pretty dope they only put it out as a promo on one of there podcasts a while back

I can up the Jaylib demo tape for you if you need it fam...?

It's basically Dilla's beats from Champion Sound, plus a few others that didnt make the album and then finally a Dilla mix. All of Madlibs vocal takes are the same ones that ended up on the Champion Sound album but each track got a full new mixdown for the official album.

There's about 4 or 5 tracks that didnt appear on the album and ofcourse plenty of little interludes and beat snippets that have never appeared anywhere else.

I'll get it upped for you if you need it fam.

Peace!

Pattch82
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Peace,

It's taking me a lil longer than I thought to chop up the tracks from the Madvillain Demo cassette. I should have it done in the next day or so when I get abit of time and I'll up it asap.

Peace!

DJ PRIMATE
02-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Pattch, I signed up to the board just to give you props! This is some dopeness, especially after my hard-drive broke (into pieces) so I have some of the rarer stuff I couldn't find anymore.

Thanks,
-PRIMATE!

claaa7
02-16-2011, 04:48 AM
no problem pattch, i appreciate it.

btw i was listening to Dilla's great last album, "The Shining", yesterday and it struck me that there's a Jaylib song on there if you will. the track "Baby" is produced by Dilla and Madlib together and have verses by both + Guilty so that's pretty damn cool.