PDA

View Full Version : Saigon the Best Storytelling Rapper since Raekwon?

corky831
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
after listening to TGSNT, tho sai doesnt have the slang like rae, is he the best story telling rapper since rae?......his storytelling on tracks such as The Invitation, Enemies, Friends, Preacher, Oh Yeah, Clap is so vivid it reminds of rae when he would paint such beautful pictures with his lyrics....now ik only a few of yall have peeped it, and many cant judge until they listen to this gem, but tell me what yall think.....

Meta4
02-10-2011, 02:17 AM
I haven't heard the album yet but I've been listenin to Sai since like 04 and yeah he no doubt one a the best storytellin emcees period but ALSO his skills and variety are near fukin immaculate son is THE BEST EMCEE since I can remember and one a the best PERIOD. His discography up until WS2 was fukin phenomenal and no doubt GSNT will continue that. His ability to paint realistic pictures is ELITE along with a wild flow and wordplay makes him JUST AS GOOD as Rae on the storytellin tip. Raes got the slang but thats his thing.... Sai got the wrap sheet and socio-economic/political insight WITHOUT soundin like a sad faggot.

claaa7
02-10-2011, 03:42 AM
i waited till a full retail leaked and yesterday i got it down but haven't gotten around to listening yet, will do later today though. for me Ghostface is the nr. 1 when it comes to telling slick stories, Nas is another favorite. Slick Rick of course, but he's pretty much been MIA for a decade.

Pacsta
02-10-2011, 07:23 AM
...... another fail thread

corky831
02-10-2011, 08:02 AM
y is it a failed thread.....bc its a fact.....u prob havent even heard the album yet.....and i cant think of a rapper who tells vivid stories like sai does this decade.....

deeznutz1981
02-10-2011, 09:19 AM
i waited till a full retail leaked and yesterday i got it down but haven't gotten around to listening yet, will do later today though. for me Ghostface is the nr. 1 when it comes to telling slick stories, Nas is another favorite. Slick Rick of course, but he's pretty much been MIA for a decade.

I thought the Retail copy floating around online was only the webrip from myspace just called retail. How is the quality of your version? If it's good let me know i'll check it out tonight. that grouprip is taking forever!

corky831
02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
i heard the grouprip is taking forever because its on an independent label and it is not in high demand......it most likely will be out today.....i heard last week it was supposed to leak around wed/thurs

Pacsta
02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
fuk dat shitty quality ripped shit. i gon buy it when been released

deeznutz1981
02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
i heard the grouprip is taking forever because its on an independent label and it is not in high demand......it most likely will be out today.....i heard last week it was supposed to leak around wed/thurs

^^ that's what I figured

The demand is pretty high for this album though but the grouprip faggots might not think so lol

claaa7
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
the one i listened to was definitely better than the shitty myspace rip, it was ripped in 256 kpbs and sounded pretty HQ. it wasn't a group rip but who cares, it sounded like it was ripped from the CD. pretty damn dissapointed in the album on first listen though, hopefully it will get better with a few spins but i wasn't expecting half the album to be on an R&B vibe. and he called that the best album in 20 years? the greatest story never told? i've heard it all before!

not to say there wasn't some certified bangers on there (including some of the slower jams), "The Initiation" with Q-Tip, "Come On Baby", "Preacher", "Greatest Story Never Told", "Our Babies" and the last track with Bun B stands out. but as i said i gotta give it more spins, because you always gets dissapointed when something isn't what you expected.

corky831
02-10-2011, 01:42 PM
^ those r sick....but i rlly enjoyed enemies and friends 2........and better way with layzie on the hook.....upset that war is just a skit now....but it dont make sense y friends and war are so short....maybe they will be a full version on the real album?.....only song i could do without is bring me down pt 2......it has a rock feel that dont fit with the album....other than that its a great album

deeznutz1981
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
the one i listened to was definitely better than the shitty myspace rip, it was ripped in 256 kpbs and sounded pretty HQ. it wasn't a group rip but who cares, it sounded like it was ripped from the CD. pretty damn dissapointed in the album on first listen though, hopefully it will get better with a few spins but i wasn't expecting half the album to be on an R&B vibe. and he called that the best album in 20 years? the greatest story never told? i've heard it all before!

not to say there wasn't some certified bangers on there (including some of the slower jams), "The Initiation" with Q-Tip, "Come On Baby", "Preacher", "Greatest Story Never Told", "Our Babies" and the last track with Bun B stands out. but as i said i gotta give it more spins, because you always gets dissapointed when something isn't what you expected.

^^^ damn you just killed my anticipation! LOL jk

but seriously an R&B vibe???? That kinda sucks ass! i'm still gonna judge for myself but i know ur taste in hip hop claaa7 is generally the same as mine so i'm a bit worried. Still excited though. maybe i shjould check that 256kbps rip then tonight if the grouprip doesnt drop before then.

corky831
02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
its not the hardcore street shit that one would expect from sai, but the lyrics are very good storytelling .....with good hooks by layzie, devin tha dude, devaughn, marsha, faith.....they all add nice flavor to the album

Jin10304
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Well the Devin track is RnB, sad to see some of these great guest spots still only contribute choruses (Tip, Bone & Dude). That isnt a group rip though, retail hasnt hit the net. I found that 256K online on a forum, the Myspace Rip is only 130K. The retail should have the Too Long song with Thought on it. Dont know why Winner Is being 'Enemies Remix'

cap
02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
can somebody hook me up with a link to this album?

Luz
02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I too was disappointed. The production is pretty underwhelming and Saigon raps the same shit on every track it seems like. This album was definitely overhyped. All in a Day's Work and Warning Shots are much better than GSNT.

Pacsta
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I too was disappointed. The production is pretty underwhelming and Saigon raps the same shit on every track it seems like. This album was definitely overhyped. All in a Day's Work and Warning Shots are much better than GSNT.

Warning Shots iz a great independent release shit...... my fav street album eva

THUGNIFICENT
02-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't understand how this album is anything other than heat rocks. Every track goes in on production and lyrics. Then again, a lot of yall think Warcloud is an amazing mc. Different strokes I get.

corky831
02-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't understand how this album is anything other than heat rocks. Every track goes in on production and lyrics. Then again, a lot of yall think Warcloud is an amazing mc. Different strokes I get.

agree completely

Jin10304
02-10-2011, 07:40 PM
"Saigon raps the same shit on every track it seems like"

What? Listen to What The Lovers Do, Enemies, Friends & Its Alright and tell me their the same subject matter. The album is pretty varied

angry!
02-10-2011, 08:23 PM
im waiting to crack the seal... to spin this record...

i waited years, i can wait a cpl more days...

sai is a great storyteller....

but EMINEM runs laps around these niggas with his storytelling, and thats why he sells like hot cakes, and got teens that know nothin about rap, talking about his come up, his family, and his cracked out wife!!!!!!!!!!!!! em cant structure a sentence to save his life, but you give him a beat, and hes painting pictures, and getting his thoughts across, clear as day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghostface
slick rick
nas
g rap
raekwon
eminem
scarface

THE GREATEST STORYTELLERS IN RAP... and some of the greatest storytellers... PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

claaa7
02-11-2011, 04:34 AM

i'm saying, if you build hype for 5 years and promise fans your album is the illest shit for 20 years and just as good as "Illmatic" you gotta be prepared to take some criticism. it didn't sound like i was expecting which is why i was dissapointed, it's not at all a bad album though. Saigon is a good rapper and alot of the beats are good but i don't like how he sings some of the hooks which sounds lame, or the Lil' Wayne shit he brought on "Bring Me Down Part 2" and "Believe It". it's dope but as far as recent debut albums i think booth Skyzoo ("The Salvation") and Fashawn ("Boy Meets World") were better releases. i think Sai could've made the album flow alot better, the first half of the album is mostly up-tempo bangers with high-pitched vocal samples, scratching and typical Just Blaze shit but once you reach like track #10 almost every song is a slow jam with an R&B hook. he should've evened it out more imo.

btw, does anyone have an mp3 of the original "War", since y'all seem to know Saigon had a verse there i guess it was released before?

claaa7
02-11-2011, 04:36 AM
also i'm listening again now and i hear now that this ain't the CD rip i got, it might very well be the same myspace rip only in 256 kbps (which is totally stupid to rip it in; that's like idiots ripping youtube files in 320 kbps like it makes a difference).

corky831
02-11-2011, 08:42 AM
for the war song...just type in youtube, saigon WAR snippet

issues
02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
ghostface
slick rick
nas
g rap
raekwon
eminem
scarface

THE GREATEST STORYTELLERS IN RAP... and some of the greatest storytellers... PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree..

also dont forget the master of stories straying from the usual subject matters..

some different perspective..

great lyricism.. with nice delivery.. clean vocals..

Slug!..

THUGNIFICENT
02-11-2011, 02:19 PM
i'm saying, if you build hype for 5 years and promise fans your album is the illest shit for 20 years and just as good as "Illmatic" you gotta be prepared to take some criticism. it didn't sound like i was expecting which is why i was dissapointed, it's not at all a bad album though.

This is one of the main problems that I have with criticism / fan reaction in hip-hop. Not only are we always championing somebody as the next Big or Nas or Em but we consistently shit on them when they can't/don't do that. Then - for the most part - when these artists actually try to replicate these great albums, we shit on them for being derivative or biting. If you go into an album saying to yourself, "This is gonna be the new Liquid Swords" (or Ready to Die or whatever), and then it's clear that the artist is trying to do this, you make the comparisons, and the new shit will ultimately fail. There's no way it's gonna be able to live up to that sort of direct comparison if they are so easily comparable. Then there's backlash (I can already see this coming with J. Cole's debut). Artists realize this, so they try to make their own shit. And then we shit on them. It always happens. Illmatic itself was shat on upon it's release by the fans, because they were expecting him to be the new Rakim and he wasn't. It's a vicious cycle.

As far as this being the next Illmatic, we can't even look at it as "the second song is gonna sound like NY State of Mind." Illmatic is a great album, one that transcends time; Greatest Story Never told hasn't even been officially released yet. Before you say something is or isn't the next Illmatic, you have to let that shit sit for a while. As of now, I can just say that this is a very strong album, one that I couldn't find a single track worth skipping. But more on that below.

Saigon is a good rapper and alot of the beats are good but i don't like how he sings some of the hooks which sounds lame, or the Lil' Wayne shit he brought on "Bring Me Down Part 2" and "Believe It". it's dope but as far as recent debut albums i think booth Skyzoo ("The Salvation") and Fashawn ("Boy Meets World") were better releases. i think Sai could've made the album flow alot better, the first half of the album is mostly up-tempo bangers with high-pitched vocal samples, scratching and typical Just Blaze shit but once you reach like track #10 almost every song is a slow jam with an R&B hook. he should've evened it out more imo. I don't know if rejecting songs on the basis that they feature singing is a fair thing to do. Is he singing? Yes. Is it wack? No (in my opinion; maybe yours differs). If anything, the singing adds to the flow of the album, as Saigon is showing all facets of his songwriting ability.

As far as the flow / cohesiveness of the album, I can't disagree with you more. I agree that it starts with boom-bap uptempto shit, goes into slower stuff, but that isn't all: the final cuts are a mix of the two, with cautiously optimistic and reminiscent cuts to close off the LP. To my ears, if you listen to this shit from open to close without skipping anything, it's as complete of an album as you can ask for.

Is it Illmatic? No. But is it a fantastic album? Yur.

claaa7
02-11-2011, 07:29 PM
for you it's a fantastic album, not for everybody. and those were his words (about "Illmatic") (well his or Just Blaze's anyways can't remember), so of course he gonna get the comparision. i loved "Illmatic" from the first time i heard it, after hearing this two times i know i will never, ever hold this in any similiar regards. of course it's all opinions so good thing for you that you're feeling the album like that.

deeznutz1981
02-14-2011, 12:03 PM
OK so i finally got to check out the album I've been waiting on for so damn long and 'd have to say it is a very nice body of work.

not what i expected at all

as mentioned by claaa7, the album has a very R&B vibe to it toward the end and I'm not too sure how i feel about the song Give it to Me. not feeling it all that much its a little too radio friendly for me and seems forced.

The album is just a very soulful album and I love that about it. A lot of the tracks sound consistent with one another and it flows together nicely with all the skits and little instrumental interludes that tie it all together.

after about 10 listens straight through I'd give the album a 7.5/10 or even an 8/10

The thing about this album is the music is great but there is nothing that really stands out that completely blows my mind. The OG version of Invitation would have been that track if the sample had of been cleared. I'm not saying i dont like the beats, I love the beats but they are a tad bland. This album reminds me a lot of the sound of Nas last album "Untitled" it was a very nice listen with some very introspective lyrics and subject matter but it was sort of lacking that rawness and edge that I know Just Blaze is capable of.

I think he did however provide the perfect musical back-drop for Saigon to shine and to get his message across.

Overall I really like the album but it turned out a lot differently than what I expected. i love soulful albums a lot especially when smoking to them so this album I can just put on and vibe to.

it flows kinda cool like a story as well but I hate that bun B track and how it's live (of Saigon dreaming) they used the exact same beat as the enemies beat so its redundant.

i think the album would have been a solid 9 if they had of cleared all the samples and if that War track was on it and they took off Give it to Me and that bun B track.

I'm really feeling the album though. Just think it sould have been released 6 years ago or whenever because it wasn't anything mind blowing similar to Nas last album. peace fuckers