PDA

View Full Version : Pharoahe Monch W.A.R. Review

LiquidSwords32
02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
i know i know it doesn't drop untill March 20th, but your boy just got it. The track with Jean Grae & Royce da 5'9" is fucking fire. I have to listen to it a few more times to give heads a true and full review but if anybody else got it, let's hear what you think

Synthesizer Patel
02-10-2011, 01:55 PM
downloaded? if so, hook me up bro

Jin10304
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Production credits besides Diamond D?

Mic Tyson
02-10-2011, 03:21 PM
damn how the hell did u get it?

KillahBee09
02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
the album was been streamed on Duckdowns website yesterday, its taken down now though

Listened to it once and really liked it

Tracklist:

1) The Warning Feat. Idris Elba (Prod. By Pharoahe Monche)
2) Calculated Amalgamation (Prod. Lion Share Music Group)
3) Evolve (Prod. Exile)
4) W.A.R. Feat. Immortal Technique & Vernon Reid (Prod. Marco Polo)
5) Clap (One Day) Feat. Showtyme & DJ Boogie Blind (Prod M-Phazes)
6) Black Hand Side Feat. Styles P & Phonte (Prod. Mike Loe)
7) Let My People Go (Prod. Fatin "10" Horton)
8) Shine Feat. Meal Machinko (Prod. Diamond D)
9) Halie Selassie Karate Feat. Mr. Porter (Prod. Sam I Am)
10) The Hitman (Prod. M-Phazes)
11) Assassins Feat. Jean Grae & Royce Da 5'9' (Prod. M-Phazes)
12) The Grand Illusion (Circa 1973) Feat. Citizen Cope (Prod. Adam Deitch)
13) Still Standing Featl Jill Scott (Prod. M-Phazes)

THUGNIFICENT
02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Gimme dat orcarina of time link

angry!
02-10-2011, 07:16 PM
my nigga said the shit was fire...

but im not suprised...

cuz everything monch ever dropped... is fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ima wait to cop it... cuz i dont gotta think twice, when it comes to the pharoahe...

niggas that shit on DESIRE... got a lot of livin to do...

or theyre soulless.. clumsy... clam handed maggots... puttin their hand on the right side of their chest, lookin for a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats a SOUL record...

i DID hear the joint with immortal technique a while back, and it was INCREDIBLE, monch back on that rocket fuel shit, for anyone that cried about desire....

BTW - your review was a complete hollow waste of time... and is a reflection of YOU personally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are an INCOHERENT, SCATTER BRAINED, LOSER...

and you LOSE, in every plane of existence!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the review anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you heard the album, and alls you can talk about is jean grae...

kill yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LiquidSwords32
02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
my nigga said the shit was fire...

but im not suprised...

cuz everything monch ever dropped... is fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ima wait to cop it... cuz i dont gotta think twice, when it comes to the pharoahe...

niggas that shit on DESIRE... got a lot of livin to do...

or theyre soulless.. clumsy... clam handed maggots... puttin their hand on the right side of their chest, lookin for a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats a SOUL record...

i DID hear the joint with immortal technique a while back, and it was INCREDIBLE, monch back on that rocket fuel shit, for anyone that cried about desire....

BTW - your review was a complete hollow waste of time... and is a reflection of YOU personally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are an INCOHERENT, SCATTER BRAINED, LOSER...

and you LOSE, in every plane of existence!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the review anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you heard the album, and alls you can talk about is jean grae...

kill yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know your not talking to me cock sucker. I didn't give a review because I hadn't listened to the whole cd yet, and I said that.....but at least I can say that i can give a review... you know cause I got the whole album and not just the "joint with immoral technique". go jump off a bridge hater, cause you suck at life...... this forum has no room for faggots like you who think they know everything about hip hop......

on a lighter note i'm almost through the cd for the 3rd or 4th time. Anybody else heard the album? so far so good, give me a few days and i'll have my review up

THUGNIFICENT
02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah I found it. On my first playthrough; so far, this shit is amazing.

Mic Tyson
02-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah I found it. On my first playthrough; so far, this shit is amazing.

hook it up

corky831
02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
can some send me this shit 2....its gonna be def coppd...i just wanna listen 2 some pharoahe fie

angry!
02-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I know your not talking to me cock sucker. I didn't give a review because I hadn't listened to the whole cd yet, and I said that.....but at least I can say that i can give a review... you know cause I got the whole album and not just the "joint with immoral technique". go jump off a bridge hater, cause you suck at life...... this forum has no room for faggots like you who think they know everything about hip hop......

on a lighter note i'm almost through the cd for the 3rd or 4th time. Anybody else heard the album? so far so good, give me a few days and i'll have my review up

LOL

standard bullied geek response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"i know youre not talking to me cocksucker"

no...

im talkin to the frail, tortured, confused, peon... posting under LIQUIDSWORDS32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howd you come up with that name anyway!?!?!?!?!

do you have a generic name generator in your hartford palace!?!?!?!?!?!!?

LOL @ sheltered lames getting driven to school by alfred, living in gated communities, adressing internet critics as "haters" online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you wanna make a review thread on an album, drop a review!!!!!!!!!!

you dont have the brain power to lay your thoughts down... youre not intelligent, and youre non threatening!!!!!!!!!!! i bet your moms copped a book, on how to get milk from her tit, into your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i get my hands on this, ill bail you out, and give you a review, so you can pass it off as your own, to your friends, at bible study!!!!!!!!!!!!

"suck at life"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

go drink some milk, and get your bones ready for the beating and shakedown, youre going to receive 2marrow!!!!!!!!!!!! the bullies will be out at full force at lunch time!!!!!!!!!

i wanna cop the album, and i dont brag about having bootleggs, cuz its nothing new to me...

but congratulations on your discovery!!!!!!!!!!

angry!
02-10-2011, 08:33 PM
your a loser bro. you've made more posts in less than 2 years (probably when you started listening to hip hop) than I have in 8. get a life bro. you must be maybe 15 years old because your replies defs show it. it's one thing to have an opinion on things and its one thing to be humble and not a know it all but then again its one thing to be a fuckin shithead. get off my thread cause you suck at life

took it to a private message....

WAY TO STAND UP FOR YOURSELF KID!!!!!!!!!

"your a shithead"

YOURE AN IDIOT, you have a small brain, no defense mechanism, you curl up, and take the fetal position, like a BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

insulting you online is LIGHT WORK...

posting about hip hop is LIGHT WORK...

youve logged THOUSANDS more hours on this site than me, youre just not a prolific poster... you find posting to be difficult, and mentally draining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ima get this monch album...

and ill review it for you...

so you can tell people about it...

and when i got an album, niggas hit me up through a PM, i shoot a link, and keep it movin...

you make a useless post, and brag about having it, like a fat kid finding cookies under his bed.... you think youre winning, but youre not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go ahead and eat it, fat fuck...

i dont really care!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Synthesizer Patel
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
damn... wu forums get pretty hectic

angry!
02-10-2011, 08:38 PM
also
dont bother wasting your time writing a reply because I'm just going to delete it. Suckers like you don't deserve to be paid any mind at all what so ever.

i dont deserve to be paid any mind...

so you shot me a private message....

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

you got rocked kid!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweat dripping, hyper-ventilating, nerves out of wack... you dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

desperate times call for desperate measures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope monch has the FBI track you down!!!!!!!!!!!

EAGLE EYE
02-10-2011, 09:38 PM
hahahahahaha

jesus

spiggity_ace
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
hook me up wuth a link

LiquidSwords32
02-10-2011, 10:16 PM
i dont deserve to be paid any mind...

so you shot me a private message....

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

you got rocked kid!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweat dripping, hyper-ventilating, nerves out of wack... you dont know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

desperate times call for desperate measures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope monch has the FBI track you down!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo just go suck G. Raps dick..... I bet you jerk off to G. Rap posters while listening to 4,3,2,1 everynight dont you? Yo you suck at life. I bet I've been through more drama than you and the faggot that fucked your mama and made you!!!! CLOWN!!!!!!

THUGNIFICENT
02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Yo I legitimately found the link in one google search. Just do that shit

Synthesizer Patel
02-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I bet you jerk off to G. Rap posters while listening to 4,3,2,1 everynight dont you?

aye what the fuck god why you gotta say shit like that

*jerks off to g.rap posters*

LiquidSwords32
02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
^ cause i bet he does..... go to the page he posted on the g. rap offer you cant refuse ep. i said it wasn't a real EP and he lost it, like i was talking about his first newborn looking retarded.....i've never posted so much on one thread that has nothing to do with the thread ever since i joined this forum but this clown is just cruising for it.

Synthesizer Patel
02-10-2011, 10:44 PM
^ cause i bet he does..... go to the page he posted on the g. rap offer you cant refuse ep. i said it wasn't a real EP and he lost it, like i was talking about his first newborn looking retarded.....i've never posted so much on one thread that has nothing to do with the thread ever since i joined this forum but this clown is just cruising for it.

hes probably just doing it to get a kick out of it. pay him no heed when hes mad. i saw some other posts hes made and he started arguments with others too.

LiquidSwords32
02-10-2011, 11:09 PM
^ true true. he always sounds mad seeing tho his name is "angry!",your right, i kinda had that feeling from the beginning but i'm sort of getting a kick out of it to cause he's such a clown. word up tho, you got that W.A.R.?

Synthesizer Patel
02-10-2011, 11:14 PM
nah b, I can't find any links. if i did, I'd get at that

EAGLE EYE
02-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Yo just go suck G. Raps dick..... I bet you jerk off to G. Rap posters while listening to 4,3,2,1 everynight dont you? Yo you suck at life. I bet I've been through more drama than you and the faggot that fucked your mama and made you!!!! CLOWN!!!!!!

you mean 4,5,6 ?

THUGNIFICENT
02-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Track by track, on my 4th listen (depressing, yes):

1) Warning - Why do I not hate this intro? Cuz it's dope, and actually sets the mood for the album, or because it features Stringer Bell? Prolly the latter.

2) Evolve - Sick beat, epic and dark. Monch drops crazy bars all over the place, dropping that double-time multies-out-the-ass shit he always kills with. "Grade school mathematics examining thugs/ They discuss bloods, crips, techs jammin and drugs/ I speak of war peace, famine and blood / Watchin Pan's Labyrinth while unravelin blood"

3) WAR (ft. Immortal Technique & Vernon Reid) - Tech gives a hook-only feature, which is fine by me. I'm a fan of him, but I don't feel like I got cheated out of a verse at all; this is probably due to the fact that Pharoahe kills it from start to finish, dropping kaleidoscopic apocalyptic imagery about the fucked up world we live in, with of course the "we are renegades" theme running through it. The beat is fire - ominous pianos, epic operatic vocals, and Reid killing shit on the guitar (he takes the last verse with a breakdown).

4) Clap (ft. Showtyme & Boogie Blind) - One of the songs you've probably heard a couple times by now. I think it's fire - one of the best (and, honestly, only - but still dope) anti-police songs I've heard in like a damn decade. So far, the thing that makes this album so dope is the beats and the fact that he's dropping lyrics about how fucked up the world is and how the powers-that-be are out to fuck you but not in some generic "Illuminati symbols on the dollar bill" shit.

5) Black Hand Side (feat. Styles P & Phonte) - This is the smoothest beat so far, soulful and sad. Phonte sings the fuck out of the hook, Styles P does his thing on his verse (with his typical flow and Jim Jones-esque penchant for adlibs). Lyrics are basically about struggles for the black community, but - as expected - not in the generic way. Monch shreds shit, going from the topic of "making it rain" to dumbing down music. They each get a verse a piece, then the moody violins ride out. Through five cuts, flawless jawn.

6) Let My People Go - Unhhhhhh. P Monch gets soulful as a mufucka on this one, but not in the Desire way; here, it's an angry, sadder soul. The beat is organs over knocking boom-bap percussion. On the verses, Monch drops masterful intellectual shadowboxing, picking up a new flow every couple of bars. His godly mic presence is on full display here.

7) Shine (feat. Mela Machinko) - When I first heard this song a couple months ago, I thought it was kinda wack. I thought the lyrics were dope but the beat was booty. In the context of this album though, I somehow find it to be very dope. Maybe this is just me revealing my bias. Or maybe he changed some shit I can't notice to make it doper. Either way, it adds to the cohesiveness of the LP, and doesn't feel at all out of place.

8) Hailie Selassie Karate (featuring Mr. Porter) - Mr Porter sings the hook and (I imagine) produces here. Monch just drops straight bars. This song is just the first hook, like 32 lines from Pharoahe, the hook again, and the end of the cut. Short but flames.

9) The Hitman - Another agressive / upbeat instrumental, with guitars and horns. The bars are all about that pesky rap game. "I paint a masterpiece of an industry tainted." He goes the fuck in, once again.

10) Assassins (feat. Jean Grae & Royce da 5'9) - My most anticipated cut, and it lives up to my own hype, impossibly. The 3 emcees take the roll of the final three assassins from the future, with all the others killed. But it's not a concept, of course; it's straight up lyrical bullying. Jean opens it up and kills shit, as usual (she can open these kinda songs like nobody's business); Monch is next and kills shit, as usual; Nickel closes this one up, and kills shit, as usual. The beat suits the lyrical content and song title perfectly. I haven't decided who took the cookies on this one yet. Maybe Royce: "Ya bitch bout to open up/ Sniff some blow off my dick, guess you could say she on my coconuts"

11) The Grand Illusion (circa 1973) (feat. Citizen Cope) - Good god Monch rips this beat to nothing. Lyrical obliteration about the illusions projected on the masses, but - once more - not how most of these cornball conspiracy rappers do. This is one of the weaker beats on the LP, and the hook is nothing special, but the verses are so crazy that this shit demands that you listen to it and nod your head.

12) Still Standing (feat. Jill Scott) - You can probably guess what this one is about by the song title. It's an excellent way to end the album, with a darkly optimistic hook and beat. Guess what Monch does? Kills shit.

This album is fuckin heat. It was definitely worth the wait. I gotta let this bitch sit for a couple months before I decide if it's better than Internal Affairs, but I can already say that it's a better overall listen than Desire. There isn't a single cut that isn't dope, let alone downright skippable. Definitely gonna cop this when it drops.

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
^^^

DUDE THAT SOUNDS TOTALLY ORGASMIC WTF ANTICIPATION LEVEL HAS RISEN x9000

http://images.memegenerator.net/Thank-You-Based-God/File/182864/Thank-You-Based-God.jpg

THUGNIFICENT
02-11-2011, 12:11 AM
check ya pms

GhostfaceThaPharoahe
02-11-2011, 12:24 AM
What is 4,3,2,1??

corky831
02-11-2011, 07:04 AM
rep+ for Threyev

Pacsta
02-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech >>

_ALT
02-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Just got my hands on this today, will give it a listen and post what I think later

LiquidSwords32
02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
sorry.... i thought i fucked that up... i own the album too 4,5,6 is a good cd

KoolGenius
02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
The advance version as leaked, the retail version will also have songs 'calculated amalgamation' & 'mamas boy'

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech >>

LOL.....fuck outta here.

djskillz
02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
can someone send a link my way?

Pacsta
02-11-2011, 03:40 PM
LOL.....fuck outta here.

lol. loser go rape ur mom..... i know real hip hop bore u

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
lol. loser go rape ur mom..... i know real hip hop bore u

wait you criticizing me for being a non-real hip hop head, but you say IT > monch?

LOL

djskillz
02-11-2011, 03:54 PM
i'm likin the king crimson sample on the grand illusion but still standing and calculated amalgamation might be my favorites so far.

Mr. R&B
02-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Damn, Threyev's review was glaringly positive.

I'd love to see a producer list, but it won't make or break the album.

I just wanna know who did what.

That said, I still want to wait to cop the phys before I listen to it.

KillahBee09
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Here you go man

1) The Warning Feat. Idris Elba (Prod. By Pharoahe Monche)
2) Calculated Amalgamation (Prod. Lion Share Music Group)
3) Evolve (Prod. Exile)
4) W.A.R. Feat. Immortal Technique & Vernon Reid (Prod. Marco Polo)
5) Clap (One Day) Feat. Showtyme & DJ Boogie Blind (Prod M-Phazes)
6) Black Hand Side Feat. Styles P & Phonte (Prod. Mike Loe)
7) Let My People Go (Prod. Fatin "10" Horton)
8) Shine Feat. Meal Machinko (Prod. Diamond D)
9) Halie Selassie Karate Feat. Mr. Porter (Prod. Sam I Am)
10) The Hitman (Prod. M-Phazes)
11) Assassins Feat. Jean Grae & Royce Da 5'9' (Prod. M-Phazes)
12) The Grand Illusion (Circa 1973) Feat. Citizen Cope (Prod. Adam Deitch)
13) Still Standing Featl Jill Scott (Prod. M-Phazes)

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 05:13 PM
production on this album is good. it isn't bad at all imo.

Mr. R&B
02-11-2011, 05:21 PM
The producer list was in the OP, wasn't it?

LOL I'm retarded.

I kidna wish a Khrysis or 9th Wonder beat would've been thrown into the mix.

But Monch is a motherfuckin' monster, so he could rhyme over fart noises and it would still be dope.

djskillz
02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
^co-sign on that. monch would've sounded amazing on some khrysis or some 9th.

Pacsta
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
wait you criticizing me for being a non-real hip hop head, but you say IT > monch?

LOL

das rite! ROFLMAO

Meta4
02-12-2011, 12:14 AM

dont forget IA was almost all produced by Monch himself ie if Monch can MAKE bangers he sure as fuck can PICK bangers but I dont think any Monch fans didnt know that. I'm waitin for retail as always... both Clap and Shine are heat rocks.

DJMethods
02-12-2011, 04:19 AM
Good to see M-Phazes get some shine on an international album like this. Aussie dude, if you feel his production on the two Monch joints you shou;d check his album he dropped last year, "Good Gracious"

Undiluted Karma
02-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Can i get a link please,
thanks.

Mic Tyson
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
that assassins track is crazy. wish we had a better quality version with no bitch talkin on it. if the album already been done he shoulda tried to release this shit ASAP

corky831
02-12-2011, 01:48 PM
black hand side is sick s fuck...rminds me of My Life with pharoahe and styles P

Charles Barry
02-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Somebody hook me up with a link with your stankin' ass...

LiquidSwords32
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
that assassins track is crazy. wish we had a better quality version with no bitch talkin on it. if the album already been done he shoulda tried to release this shit ASAP

the track is crazy and fucking FIRE..... Jean Grae is ridiculious