PDA

View Full Version : Biggie or Pun '2011'

NIGHT MAYOR
02-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Simple Question:

Christopher Wallace or Christopher Lee Carlos Rios - were talking MC skills, Character, everything. if only one of them had been the only one to grace your stereo which would you prefer ?

:cop:

NIGHT MAYOR
02-11-2011, 04:30 AM

http://a802.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/26/l_2637ae0b04c5a8532d640e4b5f510c49.jpg

TAURO
02-11-2011, 04:37 AM
If you were just talking about lyrics then you could go back and forth on this debate and still have no clear answer, but when it comes to overall mic presence, swagger, personality etc I would have to give it to biggie, and this is coming from a huge Pun fan.

The thing is, I know Pun would agree with me.

claaa7
02-11-2011, 04:39 AM
yeah i gotta agree with El Don, tho i love them both no homo

MaskedAvenger
02-11-2011, 04:45 AM
B.i.g

NIGHT MAYOR
02-11-2011, 05:37 AM
i just respect the fact that pun did it without having to compromise

pun was realer than real and never got the respect he deserved - biggie was gangster but everyone can admit that he acted a LITTLE bit to get some air-play

FYI its a very close call in my head - thats why i posted this question, wanted to see what the masses thought.

SL33
02-11-2011, 05:45 AM
biggie smallz

hide1998
02-11-2011, 06:08 AM
when it comes to overall mic presence, swagger, personality etc I would have to give it to biggie, and this is coming from a huge Pun fan.

Co-sign all of this. Plus, Biggie adapted to tracks more, whereas Pun, as ill as he came with it (for the most part), moreorless kept it the same (his style of delivery hardly ever changed).

One thing to remember, although Pun was slightly older than Biggie, Pun's style was influenced by Biggie, not the other way around.

Socrates92
02-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Not even a question for me, Pun all the way.

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Not even a question for me, Pun all the way.
exactly. big was nice on sum rappers rapper type shit
but Pun
pun was just on sum lyrical supremacy..
his radio cuts were far more complex than n e thing big ever did:mmmyah:

Inspektah Meth-Tical
02-11-2011, 07:09 AM
rhyme schemes and multi syllabic rhyming = Big Pun.

flow, presence, wordplay = Biggie.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Simple Question:

Christopher Wallace or Christopher Lee Carlos Rios - were talking MC skills, Character, everything. if only one of them had been the only one to grace your stereo which would you prefer ?

:cop:

you retarded or something, fence sitter whats your choice ? (should have made the poll public like the rest of my polls *face palm*)

claaa7
02-11-2011, 07:21 AM
they both only released two proper albums and while "Capital Punishment" and "Ready to Die" could be discussed as equal, "Life After Death" is just way too far ahead of "Yeeah Baby". and they were both trying to get a little more air-play by then, something BIG was alot more slick with for me (never really liked Pun's mainstream tracks; except the original version of "I'm Not A Player", hated the remix).

sickdog
02-11-2011, 07:31 AM
BIG. never liked Pun.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-11-2011, 07:35 AM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

pun is a gawd in my eyes, biggie is close but does not cross the gawd line

........ IMO

oDoUoSoKo
02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
biggie is among the most overrated artists ever

TAURO
02-11-2011, 10:10 AM

I would take capital punishment over ready to die any day of the week but that's just my opinion, but c'mon man, lets not take anything away from biggie, his hype was justified.

MaskedAvenger
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Ready To Die had it all, radio joints, street joints, ladies joint, gangsta joints, primo joint, storytelling, joints where he was flipping his voice up etc etc and was still cohesive the whole way through.

THE MASON
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
^agreed, Biggie always gets put in that overrated category. Biggie came with that slow methodical killa flow like i never heard before and havent heard still to great the same level, Pun had that rapid delivery that was untouchable.

both were forces in the game, its hard to make a call. but when i comes down to it, id prolly take Biggie. you could argue all day about Capital Punishment and Ready to Die but Life After Death shits all over Yeeeah Baby imo.

TAURO
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Life After Death shits all over Yeeeah Baby imo.

I think they're both equally flawed but the highlights on LAD are leagues better.

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Biggie > Pun, and this is based solely off of their debut albums.

idk I just felt that Biggie showed more potential than Pun did in terms of making music. Pun would probably have been like an R.A.. lyrically with the rhymes, but lacking the charm Biggie had in his music.

Don't get it twisted though. If this list was to be made off of some points system, Pun wouldn't be too far behind.

Wh0am3ye?
02-11-2011, 03:51 PM
That's what she said......I'd go with pun, dude has more punchlines and syllables. On another note these two on a track would've been some raw uncut from bolivia type ish

This is the closest we'll ever get to that

N9qWHGO2eK4

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
lol @ freeway on a track with those guys

Wh0am3ye?
02-11-2011, 04:04 PM
ERFkNXLLFPc

pun easily takes it, more lyrical. I'm surprised im sayin that too cuz biggie is that dude son the real king of ny, juicy is that shit.

Wh0am3ye?
02-11-2011, 04:07 PM
lol @ freeway on a track with those guys

Freeway isn't that bad of an emcee, don't sleep.

That whole duets album sucked cuz it had mad guests and beats that biggie would never have fucked wit.

Synthesizer Patel
02-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Freeway isn't that bad of an emcee, don't sleep.

That whole duets album sucked cuz it had mad guests and beats that biggie would never have fucked wit.

nah I'm just saying...Freeway would be the weakest link on a track with Pun, Biggie and Joe.

That being said, I really should stop sleeping on dude. His verse on The Truth was pretty ill (mostly b/c of Black Moon references)

theheavens
02-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Big Pun via NOT BEING AN ILLITERATE. biggie's vocab was pretty small, while Pun rhymed like he had a Ph.D in linguistics

nyminute
02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Biggie and quite easily honestly.

Pun had better syllables, but Biggie was more versatile and just easier to listen to. They excel at different points to say Pun's a better lyricist than Biggie because he uses big words or because he can fit 10 syallables in one line is ridiculous, Biggie was a top notch storyteller which is still a part of lyricism. Niggas Bleed alone puts him at Nas, Ghostface level storytelling.

Than when you get into all the different deliveries Biggie had, Pun was a great emcee a legend even but Biggie's on a whole nother level, no disrespect to Pun of course.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-11-2011, 05:13 PM
amazing how close this poll is - honestly i thought biggie would be winning

EkRL7Wruf1I

love this version of dream shatterer, pretty sure it NOT the original version

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 07:55 PM

u iz str8 buggin kid!!!|(
I would take capital punishment over ready to die any day of the week but that's just my opinion, but c'mon man, lets not take anything away from biggie, his hype was justified.
thats a given bro, big was big hes a master of HIS craft,
PUN WINS, to go back n forth with black thought psshh u aint gon tell me big was better than black thought!!!
^agreed, Biggie always gets put in that overrated category. Biggie came with that slow methodical killa flow like i never heard before and havent heard still to great the same level, Pun had that rapid delivery that was untouchable.

both were forces in the game, its hard to make a call. but when i comes down to it, id prolly take Biggie. you could argue all day about Capital Punishment and Ready to Die but Life After Death shits all over Yeeeah Baby imo.
OMG!!!!!!!!! DUDE!!!!!:(:'o:(
ERFkNXLLFPc

pun easily takes it, more lyrical. I'm surprised im sayin that too cuz biggie is that dude son the real king of ny, juicy is that shit.
PUN WINS HANDS DOWN!!

JIGSAW45
02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
exactly. big was nice on sum rappers rapper type shit
but Pun
pun was just on sum lyrical supremacy..
his radio cuts were far more complex than n e thing big ever did:mmmyah:

word is bond I couldn't have said that better ...as a matter of fact ,since dudes in here want to compare swagger and cockiness(not to knock anyone because everyone has a right to their opinion ) and so on and so forth why don't we compare juicy too still not a player or even the original not a player. both songs have swagger they both talk about the same topic,but from a lyrical perspective who has the upper hand....? watch a movie in the jacuzzi and puff ells while you do me (something like that )...I bang a stranger in my torture chambah,feed the loca chocha pinga while I force my finga let my bolas linga/ ...I only read the first page of this thread I'll be back with more insight.

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 08:50 PM
werd up Jig

pun rocked every style with his own style and always came out on top regardles of who featured..

also Biggie only did tracks with junior mafia gays, he aint rly rocked with n e of the greats sept for like meth!

pun rocked mics with the illest of the illy ill werd up n down
c'mon sunz

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
oh gawd and not to mention every one in puns squad is just as ill as him...

compared to kim mase puff n cease ahahaha c,mon!!!!!!!!!!!

ONGH!!

JIGSAW45
02-11-2011, 08:59 PM

very good point but you do realize that pun died during the production of yeah baby as a matter of fact It was actually supposed to be called edangered species whereas life after death was already completed before biggie got murdered. it's actually unfair to compare those 2 albums just on the strength of that. both debut albums are classic in hip hop history but I got a rock with capital punishment. not to take anything away from b I g cuz dude was nasty,but realistically if you slow the tempo down of puns rhymes or even take the time to break them down ...holy sheeeit!

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Indeed!!

GZAjector
02-11-2011, 09:02 PM
i only ever really fucked with life after death, and mainly for the beats.
not a fan of biggie.

doesn't matter to me though, because pun was the illest ever IMO, on the strength of capital punishment, and shit like this

SCmugCQfGDM

i never have found out where this beat comes from, someone enlighten me.

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Capital Punishment
http://www.mediafire.com/?75x3v4yq57lkxb4

rep Freddy Mech for this!

JIGSAW45
02-11-2011, 09:13 PM

EkRL7Wruf1I

that actually is the original version ...I think they didn't get put out that way only because black rob for puffy had rights to that beat first.

"it's the dream shatterer strictly for cream team battler/ring rattler microphone fiend spleen splatterer /king of the throne bringing it home 5 nites up in the source 5 mics up in the porsche high price/ "....cmon ppl

Khem The Decepticon
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Pun even though theyre both very good and its ashame he died.

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 10:33 PM
4_MCBR_e4ZI&feature=related
this alone buries BIG deeper in his grave!!

shystar36
02-11-2011, 11:05 PM
pun no question. i think every top 5 mc list needs pun in it. but for me if biggie is in your top 5 list you most likely don't know much about hip-hop. that is obviously an opinionated statement but theres so many dudes that are lyrical, especially in the 90's.

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 11:07 PM
every ill emcees fav to 5 emcee list has pun in there, thats says something

Charles Barry
02-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Both were beasts but Biggie's albums had a greater impact on me than Pun's did. I'll ride with Christopher Wallace, but I can see how people might go with Pun.

5hundred&one
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
I level with a lot of what the Pun voters are sayin here, but BIGGIE, for my money has got that million dollar delivery that Pun just can't match. I'm the type of person that thinks you can have 2 Emcees and one of them is a better lyricist has a quicker flow and bigger vocabulary and whatever, but the other guy might still be better for his mic presence alone. Pun's lyrics are damn near untouchable, but Big? dude just sounded like he was killin it even if the rhymes weren't that clever. a lot of people don't see it that way, but that's my personal taste, fuck it.

Pac>both of em :fucku:

Zagnif Nori
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Pun

-NOBLE SCITY-

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 11:11 PM
well thats true.. i can say bigs first lp was the anthem all thru my early teen years... thats album painted my mictures when i couldnt speak on it

but Pun WINS lyrically

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 11:17 PM
I level with a lot of what the Pun voters are sayin here, but BIGGIE, for my money has got that million dollar delivery that Pun just can't match. I'm the type of person that thinks you can have 2 Emcees and one of them is a better lyricist has a quicker flow and bigger vocabulary and whatever, but the other guy might still be better for his mic presence alone. Pun's lyrics are damn near untouchable, but Big? dude just sounded like he was killin it even if the rhymes weren't that clever. a lot of people don't see it that way, but that's my personal taste, fuck it.

Pac>both of em :fucku:
ur sir are buggin!!

http://www.box.net/shared/dijc0bt3px

hows this for delivery

5hundred&one
02-11-2011, 11:30 PM
ur sir are buggin!!

http://www.box.net/shared/dijc0bt3px

hows this for delivery

obviously that shit was hot, but yo, as far as mic presence???

Biggie was on that charismatic shit:

aNwvHEme_JE

ones a better lyricist, ones a better MC! two different things ya dig

nyminute
02-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah Biggie has that ability to make the most boring phrases sound hot and delivery alone.

JIGSAW45
02-11-2011, 11:41 PM
if I had to sum it all up ...Big always sounded like he was rhymin off the top of the dome which is what made him unique with his. pun,would spit like 4rhymes compressed into 1 bar,and he carefully n strategically picked the words he put together,like a jigsaw puzzle(no PUN intended,literally,lol). that to me is what makes them 2 of the greatest....but im still ridin with pun,lol. big was a nasty emcee,pun was a superior lyricist.

JIGSAW45
02-11-2011, 11:43 PM
obviously that shit was hot, but yo, as far as mic presence???

Biggie was on that charismatic shit:

aNwvHEme_JE

ones a better lyricist, ones a better MC! two different things ya dig

Still one in the same,strangely...compare this track with puns fast money.

wTbpxOLtW7k

SKAMPOE
02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
well yea, lyricist n emcee

5hundred&one
02-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Still one in the same,strangely...compare this track with puns fast money.

word, that's one of Pun's illest flows to me is on fast money, shit like that makes it a hard choice. when I say emcee & lyricist are two different skills though, see I'm goin back to the early days, take biz markie. there's someone who ain't known for lyrics, but a lot of ppl call him a legend for different reasons. I think you can be an ill emcee and not even be real strong lyrically, so even if Pun is a better lyricist, I don't think that automatically makes him a better emcee.

but yo, part of me hates these threads, cause pickin one makes it seem like you're shittin on the other one. Pun is in his own league, but BIG just has more worth to me as an artist. I'd give up my Pun CDs before I would my BIG cds.

SKAMPOE
02-12-2011, 12:10 AM
i dig it,they both r exellent but it goes down to the listen n the fan, whos a better fan should be the questn...lol

i got a PUN JUMP MAN tat lmao beat that

NIGHT MAYOR
02-12-2011, 03:09 AM
werd up Jig

pun rocked every style with his own style and always came out on top regardles of who featured..

also Biggie only did tracks with junior mafia gays, he aint rly rocked with n e of the greats sept for like meth!

pun rocked mics with the illest of the illy ill werd up n down
c'mon sunz

well biggie did put em on a track, and at the time marshal was KILLING it, anyone who says m&m was whack all the time is fucking dreaming.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-12-2011, 03:15 AM
gwpFaU7FwtQ

SKAMPOE
02-12-2011, 03:38 AM
well biggie did put em on a track, and at the time marshal was KILLING it, anyone who says m&m was whack all the time is fucking dreaming.
true, em was a beast bak then..im sure he has the potential to bring it back but meh

shystar36
02-12-2011, 04:03 AM

big had nothing to do with that album. puff put em on a song with a shelved big verse

NIGHT MAYOR
02-12-2011, 04:40 AM
yeah your right biggie didnt have a say in it at all ...... pfffftt hahaha

so glad this video never got deleted from youtube

G9wxLDtQftw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wxLDtQftw)

NIGHT MAYOR
02-12-2011, 04:42 AM
....try n find another rhymer with my kinda grammar!

claaa7
02-12-2011, 04:53 AM

EkRL7Wruf1I

that actually is the original version. Buckwild made that beat but they couldn't clear the sample... as big a fan of Buckwild i am, NOTHING fucks with the version on "Capital Punishment", one of the rawest tracks ever

SKAMPOE
02-12-2011, 10:48 AM
....try n find another rhymer with my kinda grammar!
lmao thats all that needs to be said...

this was the most fun i ever had in these parts of the forum lmao

Undiluted Karma
02-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Big Pun is one of the best rappers and by far the most entertaining fat rapper too

Big Pun karate kick >>>>>> Biggie

RIP to both of them tho

NIGHT MAYOR
02-12-2011, 04:56 PM
hahahah one of the funniest moments in hip hop

RNboOSWZ-FM

theheavens
02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
listen to Pun murder every Onyx member on their own shit on this track. btw notice how he makes a reference to Medusa... simple, right? well, aside from being an illiterate, I seriously doubt Biggie even knew what the fuck Medusa is a reference to

cpjGXHDGHBI

Hollow Dartz
02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
If you were just talking about lyrics then you could go back and forth on this debate and still have no clear answer, but when it comes to overall mic presence, swagger, personality etc I would have to give it to biggie, and this is coming from a huge Pun fan.

Co-Sign.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-13-2011, 01:52 AM
pun murders most every other rapper with his lyrical skill, only other person i would put him up against would be r.a. or Can-i-bus (yes you can bus, yes... you... can)

QEB7E1nCV6w

or maybe doom

JIGSAW45
02-13-2011, 02:58 AM
listen to Pun murder every Onyx member on their own shit on this track. btw notice how he makes a reference to Medusa... simple, right? well, aside from being an illiterate, I seriously doubt Biggie even knew what the fuck Medusa is a reference to

cpjGXHDGHBI

Word up this verse was disgusting!

SKAMPOE
02-13-2011, 09:53 AM
big pun > doom all day

TAURO
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
big pun > doom all day

Big Pun is dead, we ain't getting no more music from him, no more hardcore shit, no more evolution with his style and lyrics. Doom is still alive and kicking, dropping quality album after album. It's one thing to compare and discuss two dope dead rappers who's output has stopped, but a comparison between Pun and Doom is ridiculous, Doom has....

Operation Doomsday
MM..FOOD
Madvillany
Mouse & Mask
Victor Vaughn
Born Like This
Black Bastards
Mr Hood etc....

Pun has...

Capital Punishment (classic)
Terror Squad album
Yeah Baby

You see where im coming from?...Pun ain't looking to good if you go by quality output.

SKAMPOE
02-13-2011, 04:49 PM
true, but ask n e one i built with musically and they can tell I CANT STAND DOOM!!!!

only heard bout 3 or 4 tracks from him..

ah im lie ing. i think some gave me a file with his best tracks a long while ago, and still wasnt feeling the whole masked rapper shit

i rly think his whole gimmick is weeak n mad emo

this is just me not knowing shit about duke or nuffin till i joined wu corp i never even knew he existed..

if u can link me to ur favorite albums he drapped, im willing to listen with an open mind

PEACE

TAURO
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
true, but ask n e one i built with musically and they can tell I CANT STAND DOOM!!!!

ah im lie ing. i think some gave me a file with his best tracks a long while ago, and still wasnt feeling the whole masked rapper shit

this is just me not knowing shit about duke or nuffin till i joined wu corp i never even knew he existed..

if u can link me to ur favorite albums he drapped, im willing to listen with an open mind

PEACE

Aah, ok, I didn't know you just didn't like him generally, I was going with the assuption that you liked doom as well.

I think if you want to get into doom, for you I think it's better that you start at the beginning, im talking about the KMD era when he went by the name of Zev Love X in the early ninties, this was a pre masked doom.

0dCtYnox1_E&feature

dMN7mQ3_0TM&feature

VdubgJ-eGuw&feature

Some of my fave Doom joints

fMsnrVm0F5U&feature

_g3D_05Hd_Y&feature

SiYDJ432b0U&feature

theheavens
02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
MF DOOM = white people music

wutangclan97chamber
02-14-2011, 12:27 AM
biggie is overrated....

SKAMPOE
02-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Don, good lookin out homie, dem joints are grundgy as fuck, right up my alley..
gotta get some full albums from this dude..

fuck that mask tho!!lol

EAGLE EYE
02-14-2011, 01:28 AM

PEACE

i like his 'special herbs' instrumental box set more than anything. i can imagine a lot of people not liking the way he sounds on the mic.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-14-2011, 01:34 AM

I think Ready To Die is hugely over rated.... but Biggie was a pretty amazing mc.

I'd rate Capital Punishment over Ready To Die, but i much prefer Biggie as an mc.

Pun has flow, not much else. Which doesn't bother me, Biggie was just a more complete rapper.

SKAMPOE
02-14-2011, 03:14 PM
i like his 'special herbs' instrumental box set more than anything. i can imagine a lot of people not liking the way he sounds on the mic.
thats my point, he got ill verses and nasty writens but he sounds like he dont wanna be there when he spits, and his vocal mix sounds mad bootleg.

he be saying some shit tho...

he reminds me of mase from how he sounds broed on the mic:yessad:

SKAMPOE
02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
I think Ready To Die is hugely over rated.... but Biggie was a pretty amazing mc.

I'd rate Capital Punishment over Ready To Die, but i much prefer Biggie as an mc.

Pun has flow, not much else. Which doesn't bother me, Biggie was just a more complete rapper.
ur kidding i hope...

dude has the best lyrics and hiphop quotables every recorded wtf

Paranoid
02-14-2011, 04:23 PM
they were both beastz

NIGHT MAYOR
02-26-2011, 01:00 AM
ur kidding i hope...

dude has the best lyrics and hiphop quotables every recorded wtf

this

NIGHT MAYOR
02-26-2011, 01:37 AM
kG9iMzI9hKk

SKAMPOE
02-26-2011, 01:56 AM
http://www.box.net/shared/rxix8yej71

benzo
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Biggie

SKAMPOE
02-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Father forgive him^, for he not knows whut he speaks....

NIGHT MAYOR
03-01-2011, 03:04 PM
^ lawl