PDA

View Full Version : Odd Future & The Roots on Fallon

Taskmaster2112
02-17-2011, 09:39 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/41608-watch-odd-futures-insane-fallon-performance/

The Roots manage to recreate the Odd Future sound pretty well. Tyler and Hodgy (Tyler especially) have crazy energy and great stage presence. Mos Def, one of OF's biggest supporters, shows up as well.

JamSix
02-17-2011, 10:37 AM
These kids are like 19 and releasing the best hip-hop in years. That performance was absolutely crazy I tivo'd it and re-watched atleast 5 times.

Charles Barry
02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
That performance was amped up. I'm digging the energy, I gotta keep an eye on these young cats.

LEGENDARYSTATUS33
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Saw them play the night before @ Santos Party House, they def brought it! They def deserve the attention they are getting.

issues
02-17-2011, 11:14 AM
j-dL8QlYGvc

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-17-2011, 12:02 PM
haha

pyrex visionist
02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
everything in hiphop sounds like a joke today when compared to of.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgr4utVhRI1qe17dko1_500.gif

Mcthuggin99
02-17-2011, 03:46 PM
lol @ people yelling "FREE EARL!!!!" in the beginning

Tyler The Creator's Yonkers is fucking crazy. its getting like 100k views a day

XSbZidsgMfw

skeem
02-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Ill!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
omg he has nearly 700,000 views

guess he just blew up

Mcthuggin99
02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
omg he has nearly 700,000 views

guess he just blew up
hell yeah. and he barely got signed and he's on Jimmy Fallon, and getting mad views on youtube. i think by the end of the week, he'll have a million views.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
yeah he officially blew up like 11.53 this morning.

prizzurps to fallon i guess.

GhettoGnom
02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
SWAG SWAG SWAG

Haha, Wolf Gang is the future! Glad to see they're getting recognition, the mainstream need something rugged again.

Undiluted Karma
02-17-2011, 07:22 PM
not heard much odd future but props to them for their hard work and effort its obviously payingoff

Longbongcilvaringz
02-18-2011, 01:29 AM
Not to be one of those fags, but you can tell OFWGKTA are into Wu (they do mention it also i think).

This performance is raw, i hope they get huge and scare the shit out of every paleface on the planet.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Also, everything they've done up until Tyler's stuff that just went on itunes, has been free.

They put in a whole year of putting out free albums constantly, and it paid off.

You need to do that in hip hop now (maybe music in general) before you can start making money.

EAGLE EYE
02-18-2011, 02:10 AM
their album cover is a QR code?

what's it link too?

theheavens
02-18-2011, 03:19 AM
first of all...when that white girl said "wolf" I pissed my pants laughing.

second of all, I need to look out for this group. they're fucking awesome. jimmy fallon's show has probably never been this cool, ever

Durag
02-18-2011, 03:43 AM
lol @ people yelling "FREE EARL!!!!" in the beginning

Tyler The Creator's Yonkers is fucking crazy. its getting like 100k views a day

XSbZidsgMfw

Damn that is dope as fuck.

I heard Tyler The Creater and Odd Future been mentioned here but never checked them out. Im downloading some of their free albums now, definitly going checking them out in the future, loving what im hearing.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-18-2011, 04:00 AM
nRSDsC6sTag

Longbongcilvaringz
02-18-2011, 06:27 AM

what's it link too?

oddfuture.com

GhettoGnom
02-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Damn that is dope as fuck.

I heard Tyler The Creater and Odd Future been mentioned here but never checked them out. Im downloading some of their free albums now, definitly going checking them out in the future, loving what im hearing.

Bastard, Earl and blackenedwhite..
Get them!

Mcthuggin99
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM

what's it link too?
maybe he showed that because they cant show the cover to Sandwitches on tv lol

http://www.thefader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sandwitches.jpg

Khem The Decepticon
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Are these the kids saying "Fuck 2Dopeboyz"?

KBOS
02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
^

they got beef with the website i forget why. They also say fuck steve harvey because apparently he and his kids are fucking dicks.

I tried to hit up the odd future show in NYC and after waiting out there for 5hrs they went back on their word and refused to sell door tickets. FAgs

Khem The Decepticon
02-18-2011, 11:48 AM
^Wow what assholes. Lol Fuck Steve Harveys kids.

KBOS
02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
yup the venue was on some dumb shit

klege
02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I like what i've heard of them so far. Different then any of the shit thats out right now.

LEGENDARYSTATUS33
02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
That venue blows. Waiting outside for an hour for no reason in 10 degree temp. Lame.

Khem The Decepticon
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Yonkers is fucking dope. What other tracks should i look for?

Mcthuggin99
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
i just got into them but i heard the Odd Future Present Radical and its pretty dope. what other stuff is good?

here's the link to Radical http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V42298AH

.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uc60EJlaeww/S-PwZPZb6xI/AAAAAAAAA7w/HQPGDs5_tQU/s1600/tumblr_l21pyvSfjb1qbe04wo1_cover.png.jpeg

main_man
02-18-2011, 05:57 PM

just go to their website and download
odd future "radical mixtape"
tyler the creator "bastard"
earl sweatshirt "earl"

and mellowhype (hodgy beats & left brain) have 2 albums "yellowhype" & "blackenedwhite"
you might have to track those down, cause the links for those 2 on the site are broken.

they dont like 2dopeboyz cause they refused to put any of odd futures mixtapes on their site. their loss though, cause wolf gang is blowing up fast. even slaine gave earl some props.

and FUCK STEVE HARVEY!!!! i never liked that punk bitch either.lol

ALCATRAZ
02-18-2011, 06:22 PM
these guys are coo but i can't vibe to their shit at all

EAGLE EYE
02-19-2011, 12:27 AM
they all skateboard too?

lmao, i remember when that wasnt cool in the eyes of the hiphop community. it was too 'whiteboy' of a thing to do.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-19-2011, 12:30 AM
they got some really ill tracks

but the ratio of those tracks to all the average unincredibe shit has to be remebered

like the Radical mixtape - 17 tracks but i'd say only about 3 of those tracks are particulary noteworthy (Splatter, Turnt Down, Blade)

And Earl's solo tape, had pretty poor beats, and Earl gets very repetitive

So I'm saying their in danger of being overrated, in fact, I think theyve already been overrated in terms of what theyve done.

Personlly Tyler is the only one with some real talent and inventiveness and HE def deserves the attention, Yonkers is dope.

Mcthuggin99
02-19-2011, 01:25 AM
they all skateboard too?

lmao, i remember when that wasnt cool in the eyes of the hiphop community. it was too 'whiteboy' of a thing to do.
yeah, i watched this interview with Terry Kennedy where he said that he was beat up everyday because he was a skater

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 01:56 AM
they got some really ill tracks

but the ratio of those tracks to all the average unincredibe shit has to be remebered

like the Radical mixtape - 17 tracks but i'd say only about 3 of those tracks are particulary noteworthy (Splatter, Turnt Down, Blade)

And Earl's solo tape, had pretty poor beats, and Earl gets very repetitive

So I'm saying their in danger of being overrated, in fact, I think theyve already been overrated in terms of what theyve done.

Personlly Tyler is the only one with some real talent and inventiveness and HE def deserves the attention, Yonkers is dope.

ha, relax, they're releasing free albums, with no outside assistance.

and they're all pretty much under 20.

Earl is much better than you give him credit for, his subject matter is hilarious/disgusting at a Big L level.

Mike G's album is dope, both MellowHype albums are consistently good, Hodgy Beats' album is great.

You guys should check out The Jet Age Of Tomorrow albums, just instrumental stuff.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-19-2011, 10:48 AM
ha, relax, they're releasing free albums, with no outside assistance.

and they're all pretty much under 20.

Earl is much better than you give him credit for, his subject matter is hilarious/disgusting at a Big L level.

Mike G's album is dope, both MellowHype albums are consistently good, Hodgy Beats' album is great.

You guys should check out The Jet Age Of Tomorrow albums, just instrumental stuff.

I know all that, but they still need to step up their general level imo. All this "groundbreaking" talk is wearing thin with me, until they actually prove that tag, its just hype.

And releasing albums for free is normal now, they not doing it out of choice, its out of necessssity. Thats the game these days. Lil Wayne invented that

whitey
02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
this shit is fucking awesome.

about time some raw not giving a fuck dudes on their own shit got on. i started losing faith in rap. nothing coming out was real good to me. there is shit ill get and give it a couple listens then just not care if i ever heard it again. i could say that for everyone new ive been hearing for a while.

not these dudes. nope. ill. swag.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I know all that, but they still need to step up their general level imo. All this "groundbreaking" talk is wearing thin with me, until they actually prove that tag, its just hype.

And releasing albums for free is normal now, they not doing it out of choice, its out of necessssity. Thats the game these days. Lil Wayne invented that

Yeah, but there's always going to be hype with these things.

They've released some pretty solid albums up until now. Bastard, EARL, both Mellowhype albums and The Dena Tape i'd be happy with as full albums, let alone free albums.

Tyler is probably the best, but they all bring something different and none of them are weak.

I think it follows that once they start getting more interest they'll start releasing stuff with higher production values, instead of throwing tracks out onto the internet constantly.

The reason they're hyped is that hipster blaugs picked them up and because they rock Supreme.

LORD NOSE
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
lol @ bateman trying to act like he is Hip Hop

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-19-2011, 01:27 PM
this shit is fucking awesome.

about time some raw not giving a fuck dudes on their own shit got on. i started losing faith in rap. nothing coming out was real good to me. there is shit ill get and give it a couple listens then just not care if i ever heard it again. i could say that for everyone new ive been hearing for a while.

not these dudes. nope. ill. swag.

when i made the thread about them you hated, you hated in numerous posts, you said theey sounded like "fucking nerds" and that they "dont measure up to the og's" or something, i was just reading back thru that thread

now theyre on jimmy fallon all of a sudden "this shit is fucking awesome" ??

Yeah, but there's always going to be hype with these things.

They've released some pretty solid albums up until now. Bastard, EARL, both Mellowhype albums and The Dena Tape i'd be happy with as full albums, let alone free albums.

Tyler is probably the best, but they all bring something different and none of them are weak.

I think it follows that once they start getting more interest they'll start releasing stuff with higher production values, instead of throwing tracks out onto the internet constantly.

The reason they're hyped is that hipster blaugs picked them up and because they rock Supreme.

Im talking about expected standards

i dont want the hype to lower them

i listen to odd future a lot, im no hater

but they got a lonnnnng way 2 go before they can even be considered groundbreaking or even especially creative any of this shit i keep reading

the best thing about them so far is Tyler and Earl's lyrics

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah, i like the stripped back sound they have, but their lyrics are the main attraction.

I expect them to take it up a notch once money starts coming in.

They're playing fucking Coachella, and coming to Australia weirdly.

whitey
02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
when i made the thread about them you hated, you hated in numerous posts, you said theey sounded like "fucking nerds" and that they "dont measure up to the og's" or something, i was just reading back thru that thread

now theyre on jimmy fallon all of a sudden "this shit is fucking awesome" ??

what do i care that they are on jimmy fallon ?? i care about what they are doing and what they are sounding like.

the post i had in that thread refered to the majority of people that you had mentioned in that thread, i didnt single anyone out. although these guys would fit in that nerd category on first glance. and when you compare most everyone in that thread with guys like wu tang and everyone else coming up in the 90s my point still holds true. the difference is that although these guys look like nerds what they are doing is anything but wack.

i listend to most everyone in that thread and tyler and earl caught my ear, and i checked out a couple more vids on youtube but didnt go much farther than that and forgot about it. when i was younger and in school i was spending a lot of time just sifting through all kinds of music. i dont have the time right now to be researching hip hop. it doesn't pay the bills. so much new shit comes out all the time, but the majority is wack.

at work last week this guy was like yo you need to check out this kid tyler the creator and his new track yonkers. and he was saying how he thinks earl might be even better. i hit the track up on the droid at work and was immediatly feeling it. shit was dark and raw.

since then i checked out the website and the freebees. i like what i hear. what the problem is?

whitey
02-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Im talking about expected standards

i dont want the hype to lower them

i listen to odd future a lot, im no hater

but they got a lonnnnng way 2 go before they can even be considered groundbreaking or even especially creative any of this shit i keep reading

the best thing about them so far is Tyler and Earl's lyrics

i think thats just because so much shit that comes out today is run of the mill and once theres a sniff of something creative and unique people are going to run with that.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
i think thats just because so much shit that comes out today is run of the mill and once theres a sniff of something creative and unique people are going to run with that.

thats exactly why i was with them

but i was blastin them no homo more with hope of the potential

now theyve blown up somewhat, people are talking about them like they've already acccomplished something

Yonkers was the first sign, that Tyler might accomplish something unique, when I saw that vid last week, I was like 'yeah, the guy is progressing to something'....noteworthy

honestly, i want to say as well

Kanye has made a lot of this art-shit viable in the mainstream

If they do sign to a major, their acct will have to change still, but not as much as in more recent times

like that Yonkers video, had Spike Jonze all over it

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
If only these hipsters paying for thousands of dollars of Supreme realised everyone just thought they looked like nerds.

Not referring to OF really (because i guess Tyler is maybe trying to be a bit ironic with all the Supreme shit?) but some of these bros rocking cut offs, vans and box logos think they are the cutting edge of "street fashion" or some shit haha.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 03:07 PM
thats exactly why i was with them

but i was blastin them no homo more with hope of the potential

now theyve blown up somewhat, people are talking about them like they've already acccomplished something

Yonkers was the first sign, that Tyler might accomplish something unique, when I saw that vid last week, I was like 'yeah, the guy is progressing to something'....noteworthy

honestly, i want to say as well

Kanye has made a lot of this art-shit viable in the mainstream

If they do sign to a major, their acct will have to change still, but not as much as in more recent times

like that Yonkers video, had Spike Jonze all over it

They don't need to sign to a major, maybe they will, but i doubt it.

I find the shit about Kanye's album being amazingly original and creative more annoying than people who label OFWGKTA as that.

There's nothing surprising about Kanye really, these guys are way too obscene to ever be in the mainstream like he is.

Earl and Tyler are like Big L or Gravediggaz to me lyrically, that's why people are raving about their originality. Because what other hip hop is out right now that has the subject matter they have AND is actually enjoyable to listen to.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-19-2011, 03:25 PM
ofwgtwa -the future of blowing up and not going mainstream?

ive been talking about this

fuck a major label, and i mean that seriously economically, not on in a rebellious hipster way

hip hop fans are typically fervent and numerous

its time hip hop showed the music industry something creative that isnt just about music

that you DONT NEED A MAJOR in 2011

you need to get a business manager who knows wtf he's doing

and make all that money yourself

did a major label get Tyler those 700,000 youtube views?

NO

So if you dont need a major label for promo

why the fuck do you need a major label?

distribution?

fucking DIGITAL AGE NIGGA - FUCK DISTROBUTION!

ALCATRAZ
02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
supreme was the shit like 5 years ago... fools don't even rock that shit out here anymore

whitey
02-19-2011, 03:52 PM
They don't need to sign to a major, maybe they will, but i doubt it.

I find the shit about Kanye's album being amazingly original and creative more annoying than people who label OFWGKTA as that.

There's nothing surprising about Kanye really, these guys are way too obscene to ever be in the mainstream like he is.

Earl and Tyler are like Big L or Gravediggaz to me lyrically, that's why people are raving about their originality. Because what other hip hop is out right now that has the subject matter they have AND is actually enjoyable to listen to.

agree 100%. its so refreshing to hear original music. (i say original and see the irony that we revel in the fact that they remind us of Big L or the gravediggaz). everything today seem to be trying to follow some trend or sound like someone or something.

these guys, while clearly influenced by some good hip hop, arent trying to be Big L clones or anything.

ofwgtwa -the future of blowing up and not going mainstream?

ive been talking about this

fuck a major label, and i mean that seriously economically, not on in a rebellious hipster way

hip hop fans are typically fervent and numerous

its time hip hop showed the music industry something creative that isnt just about music

that you DONT NEED A MAJOR in 2011

you need to get a business manager who knows wtf he's doing

and make all that money yourself

did a major label get Tyler those 700,000 youtube views?

NO

So if you dont need a major label for promo

why the fuck do you need a major label?

distribution?

fucking DIGITAL AGE NIGGA - FUCK DISTROBUTION!

once agian, agree 100% on that.

plus the kids almost at 900,000 today for yonkers. the internet is all the promotion you need in 2011. and its free. record labels big attraction is to get you out there, promote you, get you on the radio. but a dude can do that on his own, why give the majority of the profits for your music to somebody else?

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-19-2011, 03:59 PM
+actually i take back the get a business manager part

you dont need a business manager to put your music on itunes

internet has also done away with the need for prints and designs of your album covers

easy and widespread graphical editing software has also made it easy for you to make your own covers, logos, photos, videos and shit like that

even merchandise is easy and cheap enough to make yourself these days

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
yeah, they don't need a major label at all, people are willing to buy their music digitally.

supreme was the shit like 5 years ago... fools don't even rock that shit out here anymore

lol, thanks for dropping that bombshell bro (i read blaugs also bro). i doubt you ever wore supreme though...

Longbongcilvaringz
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
agree 100%. its so refreshing to hear original music. (i say original and see the irony that we revel in the fact that they remind us of Big L or the gravediggaz). everything today seem to be trying to follow some trend or sound like someone or something.

these guys, while clearly influenced by some good hip hop, arent trying to be Big L clones or anything.

Yeah, their tracks are full of quotables. First time i listened to EARL i couldn't take all of it in at once. Listen to fucking 'epaR', jesus price.

Not that various underground rapper haven't tried to employ that style in recent memory, but OF do it with charisma and they can actually rap.

Poet_Laureate
02-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I was VERY hesistant to listening to them @ first considering they are new schoolish in how they dress & people who fuck w/ lil b fuck w/ them...but these dudes cant be placed in the same category, original as shit & on have dope skill considering how young they are......MAD onyx style engergy on this performance too

**new fan

ALCATRAZ
02-19-2011, 08:52 PM
i doubt you ever wore supreme though...

nope. don't rock no name brand shit unless its shoes or a fitted (peace to check two)... i swag out without visible name brands

EAGLE EYE
02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
LOL

Wait a second.. there's invisible swag??

How can I get in on that?

ALCATRAZ
02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
and still get more bitches than pretentious hipster faggits

Longbongcilvaringz
02-20-2011, 02:02 AM
wasn't meant to be an insult, i never wore supreme...

oDoUoSoKo
02-20-2011, 03:01 AM
supremes ok...

anyway, Golf Wang is dope.

KBOS
02-20-2011, 03:14 AM
If only these hipsters paying for thousands of dollars of Supreme realised everyone just thought they looked like nerds.

Not referring to OF really (because i guess Tyler is maybe trying to be a bit ironic with all the Supreme shit?) but some of these bros rocking cut offs, vans and box logos think they are the cutting edge of "street fashion" or some shit haha.

They get hooked up with entire lines of free supreme gear - they're skaters - supreme is made for the skater crowd... They don't even dress like hipsters they dress like typical skater kids I don't really see what youre talking about.

KBOS
02-20-2011, 03:41 AM
I think its pointless to compare odd future to any rap group since they do their own thing and its new and fesh but if you want to compare them to any rap group i would say they are most like a wu-tang for the next generation. They have a unique crafted sound with a dark overtone, they have a thick crew with distinct styles who all branch out and do solo projects they work with each other on, they take an innovative approach to getting into the game without any outside promotion. Theyve even called themselves the new wu-tang. Tyler is pretty much RZA.

Longbongcilvaringz
02-20-2011, 04:33 AM
They get hooked up with entire lines of free supreme gear - they're skaters - supreme is made for the skater crowd... They don't even dress like hipsters they dress like typical skater kids I don't really see what youre talking about.

not sponsored by supreme, which is a sneaker head hipster doofus brand anyway.

Durag
02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
After downloading a few of their free albums, I dont know if they are as great as everyone is saying, i dunno if their the 'future of hip-hop' (how many times have we heard that term over the last few years and it turned out to be bullshit) exactly. Lyrically their pretty dope, not groundbreaking or anything, but still dope. Some of it reminds me of a modern day Big L maybe without some of the venom, but still unlike anything really thats coming out now, and thats a fucking good thing.

The main problem i have is some of the beats. While their pretty dope for a track or two, a whole album of simplistic, minimilstic electro-ish (shit description i know) gets pretty tiresome.

"Yonkers" is a seriously dope track, but i'm not sure the tracks on "Bastard" match up.

I'm not hating, its great to see younger rappers coming up doing something against the norm in hip-hop nowadays, and i will definitly be checking them in the future for when they get their first official album out. They may be able to invest in better beats and production then.

And i am aware all these albums are free, and that they have put in a lot of work to make nothing back, but that seems to be the standard these days. Maybe its wrong, but i hold Big K.R.I.T - K.R.I.T Wuz Here the standard for these kind of albums. That album still gets heavy rotation for me, an absolutly amazing release and that was also for free.