PDA

View Full Version : when did you discover that you like underground hip-hop more than mainstream rap?

Fatal Guillotine
02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
i have to say when i discovered that more underground rappers were addressing certain messages in their lyrics that mainstream artist werent doing at the time

OntheHorizon
02-17-2011, 12:19 PM
I dont care one way or the other, theres good and bad in both

There's a whole lot of underground rappers out there who Babble about a whole bunch of nothing and expect me to pat them on the back because they did it with bigger words then Gucci Mane does..............I dont care if you talk like a retard or study the dictionary every night before you sleep, If you have nothing to say except for how dope an Emcee you are, your whack, and a good 50% of the underground rappers out there fit that description

Then you got the Underground fans who will hate everything that gets played on the radio for the simple fact that people outside the internet know who they are, that whole "Its only cool as long as I'm the only one on my block who likes it" bullshit

I dunno, the underground scene is just as trendy and gay to me as the mainstream scene, just in diffrent ways............. I listen to a wide variety of artists ranging from cats who have 8 figure bank accounts to the ones who are unknown, I'll throw in a Jay Z record then a Talib Kweli record, an Eminem record then an Ill Bill record, or whatever else, I dont give a fuck about the label on the artist

JakobR
02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
It is only natural that the underground is better since it is so much bigger.

Sometimes I just find it kindda silly that underground rappers spend so much time bitching about the success of mainstream artists. I mean, is bitching the way you want to prove that you're better?

Even if the mainstream artists were a million times better, there would still be people feeling they aint something unique if they listen to them :P

fatboybrandon
02-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Basically how I feel in short too.

I started to like underground more when I saw artists in the mainstream exploit themselves & the culture. They represented Hip Hop carelessly and without a conscience, as long as it made them money.

I started to like underground more when I saw little to no classics being produced in the mainstream, plain & simple. The mainstream became a fast food cycle to fulfill corporate needs rather than an artform and culture. The public is now used to a section of disposable new sound called "kiddie rap".

I don't even like the naming divisions between underground & mainstream either but that's what it's become since one section of so-called "Hip Hop" has now become borderline "Pop music", as Meth said on Shade 45.

JakobR
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
People should just appreciate the art and effort behind the music. Just because you're a rapper, you don't have to have hardcore premier and rza beats on your album. People take from the culture what they find interessting - that's how the genre stays alive because without innovation it doesn't evolve and reach people who otherwise wouldn't have cared.

Music is art and is about personal expression. If you don't find hardcore beats personal, you're simply just fake if you include them on your album anyway.

Stop being obssesed about what you think the genre should be. You're not in charge of the music and therefore don't have the right to tell other people how they should express themselves.

"Pop music"... if the dear old god of hip hop didn't like electro/pop he should have punished the artists in the fucking 80's who sampled Kraftwerk.

fatboybrandon
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.blackbookmag.com/ee/images/uploads2/chezthaze.jpg

Tom Hanks' Son, Chester 'Chet Haze' Hanks, Makes His Rap Debut ...

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/tom-hanks-son-chet-hanks-makes-his-rap-debut/24442

I understand the freedom of self expression, feel free to like or dislike the music because I don't. I'm not arguing with anyone online about this, it's not worth it. Just stating an opinion as a fan.

NinjaSpiT
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
The internet really helped propel underground hip hop into ears worldwide.

Synthesizer Patel
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM
when i found gangstarr. before that i had the typical stereotype on hip hop

shystar36
02-17-2011, 02:25 PM
back in 98 i created a bogus account with BMG, i ordered bustas when disaster strikes, capital punishment, low end theory, ob4cl, wu-tang forever, puff daddy and the family, mase harlem world, that will smith record lol, cypresshill black sunday, so so def all stars vol. 1, flex 60 minutes of funk vol. 1, brand nubian the foundation and a couple other albums. the obvious garbage in the selection was sitting on the shelf at the used cd store a few months later and i just started copping other albums from these artists and artists they worked with and before you knew it i was a fucking fiend. my life changed the day i got those cd's in the mail and i've never looked back.

p-rok73
02-17-2011, 04:07 PM
When I bought MF DOOM's Operation DOOMsday. In 1991/2 I bought Scarface's first solo album, then I buy this 10 years later. Both are classics IMO, but way different from each other.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-17-2011, 04:23 PM
When I first heard Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein and GZAs albums, and compared that to 50 Cent's second album - GRODT... I liked that album, but Cold Vein was just something else....

cap
02-17-2011, 05:45 PM

There's a whole lot of underground rappers out there who Babble about a whole bunch of nothing and expect me to pat them on the back because they did it with bigger words then Gucci Mane does..............I dont care if you talk like a retard or study the dictionary every night before you sleep, If you have nothing to say except for how dope an Emcee you are, your whack, and a good 50% of the underground rappers out there fit that description

Then you got the Underground fans who will hate everything that gets played on the radio for the simple fact that people outside the internet know who they are, that whole "Its only cool as long as I'm the only one on my block who likes it" bullshit

I dunno, the underground scene is just as trendy and gay to me as the mainstream scene, just in diffrent ways............. I listen to a wide variety of artists ranging from cats who have 8 figure bank accounts to the ones who are unknown, I'll throw in a Jay Z record then a Talib Kweli record, an Eminem record then an Ill Bill record, or whatever else, I dont give a fuck about the label on the artist

epic post!! i couldnt have said it better myself! i feel sorry for cats who cant listen to a jay z track and a shabazz the disciple track back to back!

Undiluted Karma
02-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Sometimes I just find it kindda silly that underground rappers spend so much time bitching about the success of mainstream artists. I mean, is bitching the way you want to prove that you're better?

Even if the mainstream artists were a million times better, there would still be people feeling they aint something unique if they listen to them :P

LOL,

cosign

I prefer underground but I do like both sections of the genre, depends on what im feeling etc, and I could easily switch from Liquid Swords to Gucci Mane,.

Undiluted Karma
02-17-2011, 05:56 PM

One of the best posts in hip hop shop, on the money.

youngdeck01
02-18-2011, 08:04 AM
i think it was the first time i heard 7L & Esoteric "Mic Mastery" or Jedi Mind Tricks "Ghenghis Khan". I think i heard mic mastery first came up on jedi mind, n was sold when i heard ghenghis khan. From there it jus branched out to better and better emcees

DJMethods
02-18-2011, 08:10 AM
I fucking hate Underground rappers rapping about the state of hip-hop.

Shut the fuck up and rap nigga.

issues
02-18-2011, 08:17 AM
im so underground i go underground to listen to underground artists who are buried underground..

Socrates92
02-18-2011, 12:21 PM
3 or 4 years I was well into Lil Wayne and shit like that, then I remember one day I heard Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique and I actually felt something from the song, couldn't go back to listening to Lil Gayne after that, can't remember the last time I listened to one of his tracks.

Cesar
02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
For me its the other way around, I found out I like more commercial than underground since 2005. LOL & I was really into Underground Hip Hop since 1994.

nyminute
02-18-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't

BRONZBODY
02-18-2011, 10:47 PM

I dunno, the underground scene is just as trendy and gay to me as the mainstream scene, just in diffrent ways............. I listen to a wide variety of artists ranging from cats who have 8 figure bank accounts to the ones who are unknown, I'll throw in a Jay Z record then a Talib Kweli record, an Eminem record then an Ill Bill record, or whatever else, I dont give a fuck about the label on the artistreal talk my dude, cant hate on this at all!!!

EAGLE EYE
02-18-2011, 11:03 PM
lma0 -

I wanna see a thread titled: 'when did you discover that a majority of underground rap fans are whining faggits'

Fatal Guillotine
04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
undergorund rap seems to have more substance

misawa98
04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
As soon as I started seeing the same BS music videos and the same artists spitting shit i decided to not even bother with mainstream rap anymore. Granted not every artist signed to a major puts out bs music but I don't check radio or mtv to get new rap music.

CEITEDMOFO
04-23-2011, 01:34 PM
STRETCH & BOBBITO, THEY WERE THE FIRST TO PLAY NAS,MOBB DEEP, & WU TANG

I WOULD RECORD THEM & A JERSEY UNDERGROUND STATION AND MAKE KILLA MIXTAPES

THERE RADIO ROTATIONS WAS SOMESHIT LIKE THIS
9QVFG8VvP80
xOejoGLlW9U
E3NWMri2JFs
W6Z543fUQCU
BNgXzP_wZTM
cStymiDEdvQ
dL4p9XN0KPg
IalJwntImCs
BkbUJaxunDA
Cc_-03ncQ8c
^"YOU AINT NEVER SOLD NO CRACK YOU GETS NO DAP
YOU WATCH YOUR MOMS SMOKE IT THOUGH
EYES CLOSED OPEN NOSED"
L-ggFcfHNt8
saSNIaxPXbs
f9iXheLV8lE
THATS WHY I LAUGH WHEN I SEE FAGS TALKIN ABOUT WARCLOUD, NICKI MANJA, & ODD FUTURE LIKE THERE DOPE

*GIGGLES

Fatal Guillotine
04-23-2011, 01:35 PM
^^^
good shit

Mr. R&B
04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
I just like what I like, I don't really care whether it's underground or mainstream.

I'm a set in my ways old fart and the artists and albums I enjoy from the mid to late 90's are probably considered obscure and underground to younger kids.

I enjoy music from all sorts of genres, so stigmas against certain types of music and bands/artists don't matter to me.

The way I view things in general isn't simplistic or easily boxed in, neither is the variety of music I listen to.

EAGLE EYE
04-23-2011, 11:39 PM
STRETCH & BOBBITO, THEY WERE THE FIRST TO PLAY NAS,MOBB DEEP, & WU TANG

I WOULD RECORD THEM & A JERSEY UNDERGROUND STATION AND MAKE KILLA MIXTAPES

THERE RADIO ROTATIONS WAS SOMESHIT LIKE THIS
9QVFG8VvP80
xOejoGLlW9U
E3NWMri2JFs
W6Z543fUQCU
BNgXzP_wZTM
cStymiDEdvQ
dL4p9XN0KPg
IalJwntImCs
BkbUJaxunDA
Cc_-03ncQ8c
^"YOU AINT NEVER SOLD NO CRACK YOU GETS NO DAP
YOU WATCH YOUR MOMS SMOKE IT THOUGH
EYES CLOSED OPEN NOSED"
L-ggFcfHNt8
saSNIaxPXbs
f9iXheLV8lE
THATS WHY I LAUGH WHEN I SEE FAGS TALKIN ABOUT WARCLOUD, NICKI MANJA, & ODD FUTURE LIKE THERE DOPE

*GIGGLES

Found a blog a while back that was posting cassette rips of all Stretch & Bobbito radio shows.

The kind of early AM shows when new mobb, wu, gangstarr, pun, nas singles would drop.

I'll have to try and digg it up

Fatal Guillotine
04-24-2011, 02:32 PM
well?

Bodega Pop Tartz
04-24-2011, 04:26 PM

THIS.THIS.THIS. Rep.+++

Bodega Pop Tartz
04-24-2011, 04:30 PM
epic post!! i couldnt have said it better myself! i feel sorry for cats who cant listen to a jay z track and a shabazz the disciple track back to back!
Exactly, I listen to whatever I feel is good. I tried listening to only mainstream and got bored, tried listening to only underground and that was worse. I listen to both and what i feel is good from both divisions. Enjoy what you like.

JASPER BEARDLY
04-24-2011, 04:44 PM
http://stretchandbobbito.blogspot.com/

what robbie is talking about

Bobby Budknickers
04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
whaaaaaaaaat? there's only 2 files on that blog