PDA

View Full Version : Pusha T a Top 5 MC?

buckshotstheone
03-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Today I look at "Fear of God" and ask if this puts him in the "top 5" category or if he could ever even qualify

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2011/03/28/pusha-t-a-top-5-mc/

Last week saw the first official solo release from one half of the Clipse, Pusha Tís Fear of God (http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/03/21/pusha-t-%E2%80%93-fear-of-god-mixtape/) mixtape. A collection of 13 tracks with mostly original songs and a couple freestyles thrown into the mix, the reaction has been everything from touting Pusha as a top 5 MC to calling the mixtape boring and proof that he needs his brother to make anything memorable. What it has no doubt done is open up the discussion regarding Pusha T as a solo artist and not just a piece of the brilliant Clipse/Neptunes formula which has been going strong for almost a decade now. But the question remains, can Pusha really be put on a list of best solo artists since heís only had 1 solo release, and is this solo project good enough to bring him out of the group shadow or does it just prove that sometimes you need that other rapper to help carry an album?

Some of the best rappers started as part of a group. Busta Rhymes originally was a member of Leaders of the New School before realizing that he had a unique style that allowed him to branch out on his own. Ice Cube left N.W.A. and formed quite the successful solo career, and Q-Tip had a decent little hit when he broke away from A Tribe Called Quest to make his own side project. But it doesnít always work, even if the music is dope sometimes the perception that you wonít be as good by yourself isolates listeners from even bothering to check your shit, just ask Buckshot and Erick Sermon who both dropped incredible solo debuts that never really got noticed like they should have.

But more important than who succeeded and who failed after breaking away from their crew is whether or not you can classify an MC as a great when the majority of his work is part of a group. If you always had that other person in your corner then how can you be one of the top rappers in the game? This the reason they have a tag team belt in wrestling, because when youíre a group all your stats are looked at together and part of whatís taken into account is the chemistry you have with other group members where as a solo artist has to carry all the weight, so it puts them in a different class.

Nas carried his entire debut with only one guest verse, Jay-Zís Black Album had zero features on it and itís a straight up classic. Itís not easy to keep peoplesí attention for 50 minutes by yourself, to have them care about 3 straight verses from you, 14 songs with only your voice. So regardless of Clipseís near perfect catalog, Pusha has had help from at least one other person the entire time, so how could you even consider him a top 5 MC when he only has one solo release? Heís never carried a project on his own up until now and one of the best tracks on Fear of God (http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2011/03/21/pusha-t-%E2%80%93-fear-of-god-mixtape/) is the track with Rick Ross and Re-Up Gang member Ab-Liva, so again, he ainít carrying tracks on his own (although the two best songs on the tape, ďMy GodĒ and ďAlone in Vegas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLBgI7KfJWM)Ē are both straight up solo joints).

When youíre a member of a rap collective, whether itís a duo or group, your skills will always be measured with that of your rhyming partners. No matter how ridiculous you may be with your bars, when you only have to provide one verse per track then itís a lot easier, you have someone else helping you with concepts and ideas instead of you having to do all the work and keep your listeners intrigued for the entire time. Thatís not to say Pusha isnít one of the best MCs out right now, but letís not elevate him to a level which puts him in a class with rappers whoíve been on their own since day one. And letís not act like he ainít even the best member of his group. At this point we need more than one mixtape before we call Pusha T a top 5 MC. Iím not saying it canít happen, but itís still too early to tell.

CEITEDMOFO
03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
PUSHA T iS ILL

H.Notik
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
He's too one dimensional to ever be a top 5 calibre MC

but if anyone is rappin' bout the game you want him doing it.

Socrates92
03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
He's decent but he'd be nowhere near my top 5

Sham-iLL
03-28-2011, 08:55 PM
definitely not in my opinion

my top 5 goes a lil something like this

rakim. gza. pharoahe (fuckin') monch. kool G.rap. slick.rick.

Meta4
03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Pusha is ILLL..... but not even top 20, plus Malice always been better. Fear of god had some WEAK ASS southern style beats that don't fit Pusha at all, he did his thing tho.

buckshotstheone
03-28-2011, 11:12 PM
definitely not in my opinion

my top 5 goes a lil something like this

rakim. gza. pharoahe (fuckin') monch. kool G.rap. slick.rick.

that's a highly respectable top 5, only the God is in mine, but damn that is an amazing list.

how you like W.A.R.?

Sham-iLL
03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
^I have been so busy with school that I haven't gone around to checking it yet. The semester ends next week and I'll be entering the exam period, which will give me enough time to bump W.A.R. in order to formulate what I perceive as an acceptable opinion from myself.

Hollow Dartz
03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
stop getting hype off one mixtape.

JASPER BEARDLY
03-29-2011, 12:53 AM
did u even read what he said? he said not to put pusha in top 5 lol, said DON'T get too hyped

Inspektah Meth-Tical
03-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Nigga can't even push a hit, and these ignorants pushing him into top 5's LMAO.

Lupe >>>>>

buckshotstheone
03-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Lupe >>>>>

Lupe though? You're gonna hate on an MC who doesn't cry about his label being mean to him, who doesn't have to have his fans sign a petition just to release his garbage album but then tell me Lupe is anything other than something to bump when you need to fall asleep? No doubt...

whitey
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Lupe >>>>>

pusha t would bury lupe.

top 5 of mcs at their peak ever? obviously not.

but on current form he could make a case to be close to up there.

Mr. R&B
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure who's views are more stilted and clueless, Buckshotstheone or Inspektah Meth-Tical.

You both suck @ Hip-Hop.

jsofunky
03-29-2011, 11:23 AM
pusha t iz da man right now. not top 5 but dude's on hes way

Suga Duga
03-29-2011, 01:58 PM
easily top 5 in the game RIGHT NOW. dope lines for days. makes my nose run.

JASPER BEARDLY
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure who's views are more stilted and clueless, Buckshotstheone or Inspektah Meth-Tical.

You both suck @ Hip-Hop.

Qft. Their favorite current mcs are rick Ross and lupe

KBOS
03-29-2011, 10:39 PM
pusha's new shit was awful

Devil's son
03-30-2011, 01:10 AM

Lupe >>>>>

Ohhh, Lupe can I please suck your dick!!

YUMYUMYUM!!!

Get a fucking life and stop hanging onto Lupe's cock, you fucking 12 year old cunt.

''Nigga can't even push a hit''

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I've made it my personal goal to mock you from now on out, you Gay-Z, Lupe Fiasco loving cock fiend.

Inspektah Meth-Tical
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Ohhh, Lupe can I please suck your dick!!

YUMYUMYUM!!!

right......

GhettoGnom
03-30-2011, 10:13 AM

You both suck @ Hip-Hop.

Depends on the day..

Pusha is dope, but like already mentioned, Malice in better and he's not near a top 5.

Devil's son
03-30-2011, 10:31 AM
right......

You can't argue it because you know I'm right.

Thworldisyours
04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
He's in my top 5 but honestly I only care about a handful of emcees nowadays.

Ever since We Got It 4 Cheap era/Hell Hath, I thought he was some bastard child of Biggie. Guy is that good. All he needs is right promotion, direction, blah blah blah.

Hopefully Kanye can lead him in the right way but we shall see.

Playing Fear of God right now and i havent skipped one track yet. Shit's incredible. Damn i gotta get my ipod fixed.......