PDA

View Full Version : Most essential or best Stetsasonic LP?

claaa7
04-01-2011, 02:08 AM
i started listening to hip-hop in the late mid-'90s and Gravediggaz first album was one of my absolute favorite albums i knew together with "36 Chambers" when i was around 12 (and they still are). over the years i really started enjoying '80s hip-hop which I could rarely do before so although Frukan and Prince Paul was both in the group I lost my interest when I saw the albums was from 1983 and 1996 respectiveoy back then. i have still to check them out but i really want to, especially the more i learn about them, as i'm a huuuge fan of jazz and they were playing alot of their own instruments as well as sampling. they had Prince Paul laying cuts and a few beats on all their albums, Frukwan rhyimg and Daddy-O is a cool MC and producer from the little i heard.

i'm ready to check them out by now, but where to start? i know Frukwan is only on the '80s album and Paul''s production involvement was most noticeable on the last one, the '91 album. so what do y'all Stetsa fans recommend

Memory Man
04-01-2011, 08:48 AM
start with on fire, then cop in full gear. both classics. the third one is great too but mainly because of prince paul.

claaa7
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
thanks man, i was thinking about starting with "In Full Gear" since most of the time the sound of '88 hip-hop sound better than '85-86 rap albums with few exceptions. but i'll check them out all eventually, props

Memory Man
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
most of the time the sound of '88 hip-hop sound better than '85-86 rap albums with few exceptions.

i know what you mean, but rock n roll could never ever hip hop like this:
taHwbudVXbM