PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Star Wars not being on illmatic?

TSA
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
RQr7f0tuoSM

The song if fucking amazing by every measure of the craft, but i'm actually happy it wasn't on the album. It's too much. I think it ventures to far left as far as the sound and vibe for the album. Many would say it's a tragedy it wasn't put on the album though, but i think it would have interrupted the cohesion and for some reason to me doesn't have that 'realistic' vibe the rest of the album does (though that's not a bad think)

Sometimes i forget how revolutionary Nas' flow is. He was really the first master of the 1st person narrative in hip hop and he took conversation style flow to another level in the simple fact that when mixed with his natural intelligence it makes all his verse not just seem like conversation, but a great conversation. I think it's why people have almost unfairly labeled him as a rapper more conscious then he originally aimed to be (until later in his career).

claaa7
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
well since it was made in 2001-2002 that would be literally impossible but yeah it's an amazing song. it was made for "God's Son" and it's another proof of how Nas constantly makes some of the worst decisisions of any great rapper when it comes to making albums. every single one of his albums could've pretty much been a classic but he always cuts off half of the best shit and add some lame filler tracks instead.

TSA
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
oh no shit? i was told that the first verse and the beat were from the illmatic era and the other verse was added on.

what about On the Real?

claaa7
04-05-2011, 01:58 PM
^ that was the case for "On The Real", but i think he re-spat the original verse on that one that came out in 2004. the original track was with KL from Screwball, but i can't find it on youtube. Nas didn't want no part of it for some reason (like i said always making weird decisions) so they added Cormega and Havoc instead:

58zLj3D2e3M

you should check out that Screwball album, real hardcore classic.

6zEB3Wog_Yg

vvdpwDchlkM

David Daniel Davis
04-05-2011, 04:29 PM
^ that was the case for "On The Real", but i think he re-spat the original verse on that one that came out in 2004. the original track was with KL from Screwball, but i can't find it on youtube. Nas didn't want no part of it for some reason (like i said always making weird decisions) so they added Cormega and Havoc instead:

58zLj3D2e3M

you should check out that Screwball album, real hardcore classic.

6zEB3Wog_Yg

vvdpwDchlkM
Screwball is still dope in my mind; here is a little hidden jewel some of you might not have known; the track Loyalty featuring Cormega was left on the cutting room floor of Y2K but was released on the Loyalty l.p. and is actually a dis record aimed at group member Hostyle.

food for thought
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
star wars was made like 20 years after illmatic

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
lol

CEITEDMOFO
04-05-2011, 07:44 PM
well since it was made in 2001-2002 that would be literally impossible

classsonned

TSA
04-06-2011, 01:15 AM
im sorry but i wouldn't want anything to do with that 'screwball' version either.
that shit was garbage

claaa7
04-06-2011, 02:59 AM
lol to each his own then

9N-y6ZTBdmI

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
04-06-2011, 05:27 AM
on the real and star wars were dope tracks for the anniversary lp but wouldn't have fitted into the scope and range "illmatic"