PDA

View Full Version : Tyler The Creator's Parallel of RZA

Sham-iLL
04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
*Both 'abbots' of their Crew
*Both produce and rap, and had original sounds

BUT, fuck all the other shit, what REALLY inspired me to make this thread is the following article:

Odd Future: “Creative Control Over Money”
Petar Kujundzic
April 10, 2011

As previously reported, Odd Future has been receiving lucrative offers from Roc Nation, Bad Boy, SRC and Interscope. Due to their rapidly increasing popularity, the Los Angeles Times has now published an extensive feature story on Hip Hop's most wanted collective. Tyler, the Creator assures that the financial aspect won't play any crucial role in their decision:

“I always wanted to sign to Interscope when I was a kid because it was the label of Dr. Dre and 50 Cent. I want a boat. I want a Grammy. But I’d never sign a deal without 100% creative control. You lose a lot when you sign with the major labels. I’d rather be broke than have to rap over the same chord progressions as everyone else.

The group's current manager, former Interscope executive David Airaudi shares this opinion:

In Odd Future's case, his central concern will be constructing the latticework of the group's business model, which could include clothing lines, skateboards and multimedia crossovers. "Whether it's XL, Interscope, Supreme, or even Apple, Sony or Google, we're looking for the best partner on our content and creations. No longer is the central concern selling recordings. A record label doesn't necessarily have pole position. Creative control and freedom come first. Going forward, successful artists will be ones fully immersed in the intellectual property of their lifestyle."

Reminds me of RZA's shit when he was like... yo lets blow the fuck up with an indy, sell a bunch of records, and have every record label hunt for us, and then we use them and profit off them while they compete with each other.

BornPower
04-10-2011, 01:48 PM
while those small similarities are (not really) interesting, where does this individual you praise come even close to comparing to the jewels RZA has been dropping for 20+ years?

"You know what? 50 rap about gettin shot and he's rich and famous. I'm on you-tube rappin about gettin shot in Black Ops....I guess I'm gangsta too!"

Epic fail.

JASPER BEARDLY
04-10-2011, 03:50 PM
hahahaha agreed

good vision on tylers part tho ill give him that i wonder how long ppl will be into of

silent_whistler_uk
04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
"You know what? 50 rap about gettin shot and he's rich and famous. I'm on you-tube rappin about gettin shot in Black Ops....I guess I'm gangsta too!"

Epic fail.

haha

i read the other week that Beyonce has recruited some members of Odd Future to appear on her new album...

main_man
04-10-2011, 03:59 PM
uh oh.

making this thread on this site?

be prepared for pussy hurt bitches not understanding the comparison is not the musical output but the business outlook for the respective crews.

the wave of keyboard menstruation will be flaring up very, very soon.

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I take all comparisons to RZA's legacy as compliments because it shows RZA as the benchmark, to this day, to everybody and new fans.

Djaminha
04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5459/gorillastare.jpg

Mcthuggin99
04-10-2011, 05:28 PM
haha

i read the other week that Beyonce has recruited some members of Odd Future to appear on her new album...
i think she has Frank Ocean writing for her or something

INF
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
haha

i think she has Frank Ocean writing for her or something

sick

BornPower
04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
uh oh.

be prepared for pussy hurt bitches not understanding the comparison is not the musical output but the business outlook for the respective crews.

if the business outlook that RZA pioneered almost 20 years ago is only being implemented and commented on now then those that are being praised for doing it now should also be hailed as being LATE AS FUCK.
Don't get me wrong, he picked the right example, but so what? muffuckas shoulda been doin this to protect their own art as common sense.

but common sense is not common and mediocrity is hailed as jeanius.

smh

GhettoGnom
04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
^And people have been doing it for ages, the only problem is that they haven't gotten the buzz needed for it to become as big as Wu was. OFWGKTA might just have that buzz..

Mcthuggin99
04-10-2011, 06:40 PM
i expect this thread to be many pages long

Mr. R&B
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
If OFWGKTA can step their game up and create quality LPs for 5+ years and beyond then I'll give them props.

As of now I don't see that happening.

This post is speaking to the parallel the OP drew with those initial write ups.

Sham-iLL
04-12-2011, 02:57 AM
while those small similarities are (not really) interesting, where does this individual you praise come even close to comparing to the jewels RZA has been dropping for 20+ years?

Epic fail.

i'm speaking on the business perspective rather than the actual lyrical content.

the quote you've provided doesn't even come close...
barely any artists with such buzz are making 20cents per album.

the marketing plan, branding, treating majors like shit and have nearly all of them competing against one another is Wu(RZA-esque)-like.

what other group or individual at this level of hype has achieved that since the Wu in 93?

NinjaSpiT
04-12-2011, 03:09 AM
yawn.

BLACK BART SIMPSON
04-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Epic fail.

your an idiot

KBOS
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Does anybody else find it hilarious that niggaz on wu-corp wanna hate on odd future for not being hard enough while they go worship their favorite 1990s timberland rocking fraud? FYI to most of you - almost none of your favorite niggaz on the mic put in work like you think. Odd future is just some kids fucking shit up saying what they like and making music they like - not trying to do shit else and wu-corp faggots wanna pull it apart and compare their music to all kinds of shit that has no relevance to what OF is about.

BudMonsta
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
uh oh.

And it seems you're leading the tide...

KBOS
04-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Odd future is Wu-heads. Theyve said it many times and frequently get compared. Of course their music is mad different but their group structure and plan of action up to this point is remarkably similar to a modern day wu commin out the gate.

main_man
04-12-2011, 06:12 PM
And it seems you're leading the tide...

cute.

but before trying to be what may pass for "witty" or whatever the fuck you were going for here, try going back to school & gaining some reading comprehension skills, homeboy.

cause you just aint get it, boy. lol

BornPower
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
i'm speaking on the business perspective rather than the actual lyrical content.

the quote you've provided doesn't even come close...
barely any artists with such buzz are making 20cents per album.

the marketing plan, branding, treating majors like shit and have nearly all of them competing against one another is Wu(RZA-esque)-like.

what other group or individual at this level of hype has achieved that since the Wu in 93?

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY KBOS
Odd future is Wu-heads. Theyve said it many times and frequently get compared. Of course their music is mad different but their group structure and plan of action up to this point is remarkably similar to a modern day wu commin out the gate.

BOTH OF YOU MISUNDERSTAND.

I don't have a problem with their musical content or business plan. All I'm saying is that the plan they are copying? The one that's so RZA-esque?

IT WAS ORIGINAL IN 93....IT'S HARDLY ORIGINAL IN 2011 IS IT?

They picked a great person to emulate, no doubt. I guess the shame is that no one else has had the insight, buzz, sense or cojones to just do it....but if that's true, it makes you wonder what kind of environment would enforce practices that cause artists to do what is against their best interests.

Matthew
04-12-2011, 06:50 PM

Actually man, in a recent interview, Syd said that they didn't grow up listening to the Wu

BornPower
04-12-2011, 06:54 PM
your an idiot

This from the 17 year old wanna-be nickel and dimer that ADVERTISES HIS ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES ON A PUBLIC ONLINE FORUM while asking for common sense suggestions on how to get a job.
If you spent more time exercising your mind towards positive things *divine math, cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrOCO9FajQg) instead of daydreaming about being a lame block nigga you would've thought of something by now.

*BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING*

Matthew
04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
^^^^ so clown

BudMonsta
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
cute.

but before trying to be what may pass for "witty" or whatever the fuck you were going for here, try going back to school & gaining some reading comprehension skills, homeboy.

cause you just aint get it, boy. lol

Lol, you're the one with keyboard menstruation, just because some people don't like Odd Future being compared to the Wu.

That gave me a chuckle though.

main_man
04-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Lol, you're the one with keyboard menstruation, just because some people don't like Odd Future being compared to the Wu.

That gave me a chuckle though.

ahhhh....

still didnt understand the first post, i see. or maybe you've just twisted it up in your own mind. retarded perhaps?
or maybe your new to the site. i dont know. dont really care either.

i'll clarify. cause i like the retarded. 3 retards are equal to 9 regular cats in a fight. dont believe me? get jumped by 3 retards and you'll know of the truth i speak.

anyway, the "keyboard menstruation" was referring to the fact that any Odd Future thread on this site gets a ton of posts from people fucking crying about how wack they are, tylers a fag, they cant rap blah blah blah.
and comparing them to the wu?!?!? GOOD GOD NO!! ARE YOU CRAZY!!! (surprisingly enough, no super bitching about this thread as of yet. im kinda surprised)

not once have i hated on these kids. i kinda like them. so, no keyboard menstruation from the main_trigga. this post might count as a slight menstrual flare up, but only because my first words were grossly misunderstood by my new retarded ass homeboy budmonsta with the muh fuckin baseball bat. lol

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Gotta remember how influential ODB was on rappers like Odd Future.

BudMonsta
04-13-2011, 01:11 AM
ahhhh....

still didnt understand the first post, i see. or maybe you've just twisted it up in your own mind. retarded perhaps?
or maybe your new to the site. i dont know. dont really care either.

i'll clarify. cause i like the retarded. 3 retards are equal to 9 regular cats in a fight. dont believe me? get jumped by 3 retards and you'll know of the truth i speak.

anyway, the "keyboard menstruation" was referring to the fact that any Odd Future thread on this site gets a ton of posts from people fucking crying about how wack they are, tylers a fag, they cant rap blah blah blah.
and comparing them to the wu?!?!? GOOD GOD NO!! ARE YOU CRAZY!!! (surprisingly enough, no super bitching about this thread as of yet. im kinda surprised)

not once have i hated on these kids. i kinda like them. so, no keyboard menstruation from the main_trigga. this post might count as a slight menstrual flare up, but only because my first words were grossly misunderstood by my new retarded ass homeboy budmonsta with the muh fuckin baseball bat. lol

See right there, you sounded like a chick I used to date(and by date I mean fuck for a month before realizing that bitch was crazy), completely misunderstanding my point, calling me a retard, pissing and moaning on and on and on. Keyboard Menstruation.

KBOS
04-13-2011, 02:12 AM
BOTH OF YOU MISUNDERSTAND.

I don't have a problem with their musical content or business plan. All I'm saying is that the plan they are copying? The one that's so RZA-esque?

Lol nigga I never even read your posts

Actually man, in a recent interview, Syd said that they didn't grow up listening to the Wu

I know at least Tyler and Hodgy been Wu heads for a minute, Tyler used to post on this music forum I checked on from time to time when he was a nobody and hes been talking about wu for years. They also lie in interviews on purpose constantly and speak on behalf of themselves rather than the group usually so I wouldn't go off that.