PDA

View Full Version : R&B Is Taking Over the Game Right Now

buckshotstheone
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Yall really gonna love this, today I look at how in 2011 R&B has given us far more classics than hip hop.

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2011/04/11/rb-is-taking-over-the-game-right-now/

Weíre a few months into 2011 and so far there hasnít been any true classic albums that have dropped, shy of maybe the Raekwon album which my personal bias towards the Wu makes it impossible for me to tell if itís actually a classic album or if itís just me that feels that way, regardless, rap been on hiatus it seems. So whatís there to do when the best youíve got is a Pusha mixtape that got played out after like 2 weeks? Luckily we have R&B to save us, and right now in 2011 that soulful sister of hip hop has been far and away exceeding rap in the fresh dope department. Whether itís the beautiful sounds of scorned women, or the crooning of mafuckas who are getting thirstier as the weather gets warmer, right now R&B is on fire with some of the best material weíve gotten in years.

First off we got that Dirty Money album, yeah I know it dropped last year, but that donít mean it ainít still getting played non-stop. Puffy gave us a classic, yes a classic, and for anyone whoís ever been in love and especially has lost that love, Last Train to Paris is a soundtrack that take you through every emotion, all while demanding you ďget your ass on the floorĒ.

But while Puffy is an all too familiar name in music, itís the new comers that are really killing the game right now. Jhene Aiko, who isnít necessarily new to the music scene but is new to a lot of people, released a beautiful mixtape called Sailing Soul(s) (http://jheneaiko.com/) which features some big names as well as a couple MCs like H.O.P.E. who you should be getting familiar with. All over this album Jhene sings of love and heartbreak as well as honest truths you donít normally get from females in R&B like in ďHoesĒ where she basically admits that yes, some women act like hoes and they are gonna be treated accordingly. Also stepping up for the scorned women is Marsha Ambrosius who after giving us the bitter anthem ďI Hope She Cheats On YouĒ last summer has come through with the solid effort Late Nights and Early Mornings.

Women ainít the only ones holding down the R&B game as Frank Ocean and The Weeknd have two of the best R&B releases weíve seen since J. Holidayís debut album. Frank Ocean is a member of Odd Future, yeah thatís right, but his album Nostalgia, Ultra (http://www.datpiff.com/Frank-Ocean-Nostalgia-Ultra-mixtape.210282.html) is straight up R&B, with smooth I-donít-give-a-fuck lyrics and incredible melodies. The pacing of the project with its short interludes and diverse soundscapes makes it a journey through the mind of a young Don Juan, while also hinting at the honesty that everyone feels pain in love sometimes. With The Weeknd you have the fantastic House of Balloons (http://the-weeknd.com/) mixtape which is the ultimate thirst quencher for anyone who plays this around females. Epic from start to finish The Weeknd give us that stadium-ready R&B, big production and layered vocals, 7 minute songs and build-ups which also have incredible payoffs.

Some rap fans donít like R&B, and thatís fine, but if you do, then check out the above mentioned releases as every single one delivers in all necessary areas when it comes to a good R&B album. These artists have mastered the vulnerable counterpart to rapís toughness and have done it without coming across as just another soulful record. Each release has a distinct sound and is gripping, whether itís Jheneís beautiful bluntly spoken truths, Marshaís pain, Frank Oceanís boastfulness or the perfect sequence of House of Balloons. R&B isnít for everyone but for those who have been in love, are in love or who are looking for love in the warm months ahead you have a wide variety of options to help set the mood and hopefully give you some enjoyably sleepless nights.

KBOS
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
smh that was a fucking stupid read.

Mic Tyson
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
last train to paris a classic huh?

you are a fucking idiot

JASPER BEARDLY
04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
come on guys this guys doing a lot with his 5th grade education

BudMonsta
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Ha, I'd say its more like Pop is taking over the Mainstream...

CharlesJones
04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
R&B music has been terrible since after the 90's. R&B was the best in the 70's and 80's. The old r&b artists i love like Dazz Band, Cameo, Kool And The Gang, Earth Wind And Fire, Midnight Star, The Gap Band, Lakeside, Parliament/Funkadelic, Zapp, The Time, Con Funk Shun, Shalamar, The Isley Brothers, Ready For The World. R&B is gonna continue to be terrible for years. Funk music needs to come back. R&B is too fucking soft now and i'm tired of these soft ass love songs. I love party jams from the 70's and 80's and that needs to come back and it never will. The problem with new r&b singers and it's the same thing with new rappers is that they know nothing about singers and rappers who came before them and they don't wanna learn about them because they think their music is so good LOL.

wutangclan97chamber
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
"A lot of niggas trying to take hip-hop, and make that shit R&B; rap and bullshit yaknowsaying? Or make that shit funk. Fuck that, this is MCin right here, this is hip-hop."
-RZA

CharlesJones
04-30-2011, 11:23 AM
That's true what the RZA said.

WooHa
05-01-2011, 07:37 AM
The Weeknd's House Of Baloons is off the hook

Frank Sobotka
05-01-2011, 07:52 AM
W.A.R, Heavy Metal Kings, Coathanga Strangla, Arms & Hammers.
I see what you mean hip-hop is dead...

JASPER BEARDLY
05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
hahahaha I love the responses to these posts. i don't get why he posts here. its not constructive criticism being told you suck ass

PANDA PISS
05-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Even if it were true, we're 4 months in. Theres shitloads of albums coming that are gonna be classics. House Of Baloons is nice though. I been bumpin Miguel and Trey Songz also.

CharlesJones
05-07-2011, 12:09 PM
R&B music died after the 80's. Those funk artists i mentioned before made r&b funky and good. Too many r&b singers the last 20 years have been terrible and singing too many love songs. What happened to the jams? That's why i said funk music needs to come back. Ain't none of these new r&b singers fucking with the old funk artists. George Clinton's Atomic Dog song, Zapp's More Bounce To The Ounce song, Parliament's Flashlight song, Funkadelic's Not Just Knee Deep song, Cameo's I Just Want To Be, Flirt, She's Strange songs shits on these new r&b singers boring love songs.

CharlesJones
05-07-2011, 12:10 PM
I remember posting a topic before in the sound shack forum saying that if i was a r&b singer, i would sing only jams and nobody responded. I can't believe most of ya'll fags like love songs more than jams.

Synthesizer Patel
05-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm getting the feeling that OP isn't all too familiar with the underground scene, as evidenced by the fact that he was giving some avg rappers props for holding hip hop down or something like that.

buckshotstheone
05-08-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm getting the feeling that OP isn't all too familiar with the underground scene, as evidenced by the fact that he was giving some avg rappers props for holding hip hop down or something like that.

i'm quite familiar with the underground scene.