PDA

View Full Version : c7 presents BUCKWILD (week? at The Lost Tapes)! first comp 19 classic Buck production

claaa7
04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Yesterday Complex.com posted this amazing interview article where Buckwild broke down the science of 33 studio sessions that produced classic records he produced. It was a truly great read, featuring the likes of Kool G Rap, OC, Organized Konfusion, Lord Finesse, Nas, Jay-Z, AZ, Black Rob's "Whoa" of course, Jadakiss, Method Man & Redman, DITC, Fat Joe, Big Pun, Terror Squad and much, much more.

a few days earlier i made a Buckwild compilation for my iPod that's been getting front-to-back plays the last 3-4 days, real good and now that i have heard it quite alot i think i came up with a really good sequence. it features both Buck's work with the biggest artists at the time as well as his simultaneous work with underground cats like Lace Da Booms, Street Smartz, DITC (not the ordinary shit), etc. you definitely gonna love this one, i know i do!

75 minutes of BUCKWILD HEAT!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jj31S991joU/TaQr5A5RlBI/AAAAAAAAALM/1bVGjjO-0n8/s1600/00-buckwild_-_still_diggin%2527.jpeg
What I wanted to focus on this time was this legendary beatsmiths work between 1997 and 2000; the main reason for this being to sort of give fans an unofficial follow up to his self-released 2xCD compilation, "Diggin' In The Crates", which highlighted 39 classics that he laced between '93 and '97 (that LP's a must-have, but unfortunately it is currently out of print). Another reason was that I find that period of time to be a very interesting part of his catalouge; he was still carrying on the elements he fully embraced in the early '90s, diggin' deep in the crates and hooking up raw, but often jazzy or soulful underground productions in a true boom bap fashion. But around the time of this period he was sort of also more and more coming in to his own as a producer in my opinion and he was the main behind several HUGE records at the time. Many of which became singles -, functioning like some sort of extended hand of The Hitmen (for Bad Boy) and the in-house producers of the Roc-A-Fella camp - come to think about it I think Buck might've been under Roc Management around this time..In other words he delivered many chart records and singles for big names and allowed himself to introduce a somewhat commercial sound on certain records (remember this was the late '90s though and the mainstream of then can't even compare to the painfully generic mainsteram hip-hop more polished element in his music but unmistakenly never forgetting his roots and undoubtly always utilizing more-or-less rare samples but often in a new and exciting way. He pretty much changed it up here, but not completely, and this is something that every succesfull artist(with some very few exceptions).

So with this mix I want to show y'all, at least what I think, is a very good representation of Buckwild's sound and evolvement between '97 and 2000 and therefore I included several records you most likely already heard and combined them with work he did for underground cats, remixes or alternative versions (there actually were a couple of rare rare tracks by Shamus amongst others that's real ill but due to the mismatched sound quaity compared to the other songs it was better to use other joints instead, albeit more popular that you most likely heard (like Jigga's "Lucky me", and of course Biggie's "Story toTtell" but don't let that turn you off of the album). Of course his crew DITC naturally appears on a couple of songs, but none of their regular album material.(the original version of "Way Of Life" and Lord Finesse's "Down For The Underground" are both highly potent joints to say the least and last but not least I added the classic Terror Squad '99 posse cut; "Rudeboy Salute".

I know y'all gonna enjoy this one so I'm not gonna hold it up anymore and go straight through the heavy beats and rhymes. Just one last thing, the cover you see is taken from a mixtape of Buckwild productions released via Gasface Media some years back but I think it fitted well (plus Buck doesn't seem to like being in front of cameras, there's very few pics of him available). Aight then, TURN IT UP!!!

01. Big Punisher - "Dream Shatterer"
[B]02. Lord Finesse - "Down For The Underground"
03. Black Rob - "WHOA!"
04. DJ Clue pres. Lord Tariq & Muggs - "Cops & Robbers"
05. Street Smartz . "Don't Trust Anyone" (Ft, PI & LS)
06. DITC - "Way Of Life" [Buck's Original Version]
07. Lace Da Booms - "Muder Seaason"
08. Afro Jazz Ft. Big Red - "You Can't Stop"
09. Terror Squad Ft. Buju Banton - "Rudeboy Salute"
10. Beanie Sigel - "What A Thug ABout"
11. Royal Flush & Mic Geronimo - "Makin' Moves"
12. Mic Geronimo - "How You Been?"
13. Akinyele - "Sister Sister"
14. Rhymester - "マイクの刺客"
15. Big Punisher - "Nigga Shit"
16. Notorious BIG - "I Got A Story to Tell"
17. Ma$e - "Another Story to Tell"
18. Jay-Z - "Lucky Me" [Ft. Stevie J on guitar and keys]
19. Organized Konfusion - "Invetro"

it's full of hardcore and "commercial" songs but always with the Buck flavour to it, and of course the commercial music of the later '90s wsa cats like Jay-Z, Notorious BIG, and such anthems as Black Rob's "Whoa" (which is of course included), etc so hahah. check the joint with Beanie Sigel, "What A Thug ABout" , love that one. matter of fact the whole tape is crazy. i even included one Japanese MC and a group of dope French MC's with one track each that Buck laced for them and trust me those beats are off the chain. i love the ending of the album too, with first Jay-Z, Buckwild and Stevie J and a singer delivers a reflective joint that's great but very different from what we're used to from Buck and this is followed by another very introspective joint (haha that's really the correct term for that song, litreally speaking) - "Inverto" by Pharoahe Monch and Prince Po.

also check out the previosuly unreleased song of PROOF ft. T3 and produced by DILLA!! Pete Rosenberg released it in celebration of the lifes and times of Jay Dee (probably recorded around 2003 or something - maybe for "I Miss The Hip-Hop Shop".

a question for those who visit my blog, do you read what I have to say about the music or do you just go for the music?

just click the link in my sig to fast get these mentioned above :) and don't forget to fucking TURN IT UP!!!

INF
04-12-2011, 07:00 PM
ReP

THE MASON
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
a question for those who visit my blog, do you read what I have to say about the music or do you just go for the music?

both haha

thanks for the comp. im a huge buckwild fan

INF
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
I read and sometimes I skim and go for it.I'll go back and read when I listen sometimes too.

Wh0am3ye?
04-12-2011, 09:08 PM
was readin a little bit on the saigon album because I can relate, expected a lot more. Props for this, gonna crank this shit on the jvc.

claaa7
04-13-2011, 02:01 AM
peace, i'm glad you at least read some of what i read since i consider myself both a writer and "a music knowledge guy" lol.

WhoAmEye? - Yeah that Saigon article became very long which wasn't really the point but i was not exactly sober when i wrote that (i have fixed it a bit now with a clearer mind). i don't know how long you read but my main point was this - Saigon had all the ingredients for a more-or-less classic album right there, the right producers, an incredible wordplay that shits on most rappers life and enough material to make up a straight up incredible record with NO filler.

but he had to make the album 75 minutes long, rather than 40-45 plus there were some problems with "Come On Baby", the orignal version with the original sample and no Jay-Z was much better. he should've kept that (remember "My first album had no famous guest apperances, the outcome i'm crowned the best lyricist). plus other songs were good ("Believe It" for example) but the chorus aŽla Lil' Wayne was absolutely horrendous and destroyed the track.

this is what I bump for my iPod:

SAIGON - THE GREATEST STORY NEVER TOLD
01. "Station Identification Intro"
02. "The Invitation" (Ft. Q-Tip)
03. "Come On Baby" (w. Swizz Beats on hook) [OG version]
04. "Enemies" [prod. D. Allen]
05. "Friends"
06. "The Greatest Story Never Told"
07. "Clap" (Ft. Faith Evans)
[CDQ version without outro or too long halleluljah mment from Faith, it's about 4 minutes while the LP mix is 6!]
08. "Preacher"
09. "Better Way" (Ft. Layzie Bone)
10. "Oh Yeah (Our Babies)" [prod. Buckwild]
11. "And The Winner Is..."/"Outro"

y'all should DEFINITELY try this, i was amazed cuz those 11 tracks is perfectly sequenced, Sai's lyrics are out of this world, both delivery-wise and the topic he touces plus all beats are out of this world. there's only one track that strays from the formula, which is "Clap" but i like it and i think it fits well in the middle of the album as a sort of uplifting track and also perfect way to go into "Preacher".

like i said in my long-ass review, the retail album is like 3.5 to me but this one is a 4.6 release!!! they even fucked up the cover on the retail LMAO, the original one was so much better than that generic one it have now. the one with the empty prison cell is what i use for my iPod.

if y'all need a good quality/NO DJ versions of the above mentioned "Come On Baby" and "Clap" just let me know and i'll upload them cuz this album which is hidden in the "Greatest Story Never Told" NEEDS to be heard and cherished.

Razorsharp
04-13-2011, 05:42 AM
thanks c7... yeeeeuuhhh!!!! buckwild is the shit!

claaa7
04-13-2011, 04:01 PM
was readin a little bit on the saigon album because I can relate, expected a lot more. Props for this, gonna crank this shit on the jvc.

peace, i'm glad you at least read some of what i read since i consider myself both a writer and "a music knowledge guy" lol.

WhoAmEye? - Yeah that Saigon article became very long which wasn't really the point but i was not exactly sober when i wrote that (i have fixed it a bit now with a clearer mind). i don't know how long you read but my main point was this - Saigon had all the ingredients for a more-or-less classic album right there, the right producers, an incredible wordplay that shits on most rappers life and enough material to make up a straight up incredible record with NO filler.

but he had to make the album 75 minutes long, rather than 40-45 plus there were some problems with... blah blah blah

lol i don't know what the fuck i was doing with that saigon article, but i have rewritten most of it since. it was way too long and all over the place. check it out tho

thanks c7... yeeeeuuhhh!!!! buckwild is the shit!

hell yeah man, Buckwild's one of the greatest. did you read the article, Complex really stepped up their game when it comes to interviewing. i'm thinking about putting together another Buckwild comp before friday, i've been banging him alot lately.

Lex Lugor
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
thank you sir.

claaa7
04-14-2011, 01:03 AM
since i said it was Buckwild week, i think i'm gonna have at least one Buckwild related post from this Monday and up to Friday. monday was the big ass Complex article, tuesday was this compilation, yesterday I posted the incredible EP "Scars & Pain" by Jemini The Gifted One from 1997 where Buck has two of the seven tracks were produced by Buckwild - and two of my favorite tracks of his at that.

i'm thinking about posting a compilation of all the tracks OC did together with Buckwild that was not on any of OC's album. there's quite a few and they are such an underrated MC/producer duo (remember "Word... Life" and i liked "Bon Appetit" too, tho it took some time to grow on me).

JASPER BEARDLY
04-14-2011, 03:04 AM
You should post a few I don't have enough buck. Whatever u have time for

I read the articles

Taskmaster2112
04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
i'm thinking about posting a compilation of all the tracks OC did together with Buckwild that was not on any of OC's album. there's quite a few and they are such an underrated MC/producer duo (remember "Word... Life" and i liked "Bon Appetit" too, tho it took some time to grow on me).

Oh man that would be awesome.

claaa7
04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
i'm working on it now Task!
i will upload it before the night is over.. don't forget to watch back tonight and tomorrow i'm bringing the rare out of print Buckwild EP, "Still Diggin' Composition EP" from '98.

THE MASON
04-14-2011, 01:36 PM
this awesome, i dont have nearly enough Buckwild in my life and that shit with OC sounds like dopeness, def up that.

i recently busted out all the OC i had and spun the death outta it. OC/Buckwild collab is one of the greatest ever, they should be linking up for another 1990 Now type album

Taskmaster2112
04-14-2011, 10:02 PM
i'm working on it now Task!
i will upload it before the night is over.. don't forget to watch back tonight and tomorrow i'm bringing the rare out of print Buckwild EP, "Still Diggin' Composition EP" from '98.

Props man I just saw it over at your blog. You're doing good work over there. I dig your comps and your writing.

claaa7
04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
i uploaded the OC/BUckwild non album cuts on my blog, 16 tracks late yesterday and a few hours ago i uploaded the rare Buckwild EP "Still Diggin' Composition" EP. i probably upload anpther Buckwild comp wiht more recen tracks, the best of 2000 to 2010 tomorrow and then you won't see more buckwild on The Lost Tapes for agood while.

but i of course upload other shit as well, i just updated with Percee P's first official video that just dropped - the Madlib remix of "Woman Behind Me". the one with the same sample as "Life Changess" and also that video interview with RZA, ODB and The Genius fr0m '91.

THE MASON
04-17-2011, 07:25 AM
^big ups. given ya too much rep, but ill catch you later.

best blog i go to on the internet imo

claaa7
04-17-2011, 05:41 PM
thx man! i'm tired as fuck, but tomorrow i'll bring out the last Buckwild compilation altho that would make the Buckwild week 8 days lol. his work from 2000-2010 i think, i ain't promising to do it tho because i don't want to give away too much free music like every day (compilations i mean) but still.. we'll see.

claaa7
04-20-2011, 06:19 AM
on the OC/Buckwild - "Power Duo" comp the track "Spend It" featuring AG and Milano was accidentaly ripped in mono. i received a 320 kbps rip of the 12" by a poster, Step One, over @ The TROY forum so replace the one on the comp with this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L5M9UCEU

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
04-20-2011, 06:32 AM
just found my copy of starchild i remember copping from hiphopsite (b4 the just became a blog when they used to be a store out in vegas)