PDA

View Full Version : How do I know my download speed?

DeeBlock
04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
I've googled that question and tried what microsoft and others told me to do, but the result does not show me the 'kb/second' that I want to know; it only shows me how much GH and memory of ram.

How do I figure how much 'kb per second' my computer is capable of?

WARPATH
04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Instructions

Click the Windows "Start" button and select "Programs." Choose "Accessories" from this menu and then select "System Information." This opens a new window with a list of devices and configurations on the machine.

Expand the "Components" section by clicking the "+" symbol. This shows a list of devices installed on the computer.

Click the "+" symbol next to the "Network" section. This lists the network adapters installed on the computer.

Highlight the network card in the list. When highlighting the device, details are shown about the network card. It displays the speed of the card. For example, the following indicates a 100Mb Ethernet network card:

Read more: How to Determine Link Speed of a Network Interface Card | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5315141_determine-speed-network-interface-card.html#ixzz1JWTK3AeA

stay gold
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Speedtest.net, holy shit it's not that complicated.

WARPATH
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Speedtest.net, holy shit it's not that complicated.

That's if you want test your network speed not your NIC. There's a difference.

WARPATH
04-14-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/comp/winnt/faq/networking/nic_speed.htm

Might be under:

Speed & Dublex, Depends on your NIC

stay gold
04-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about his internet speed...

food for thought
04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
thats what warpath is talking about^

edit:

threadstarter, are you talking about finding what your connection speed is or the maximum capability of your Network Interface Card/Computer?

racist randy
04-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Check your bandwith: Your bandwith is the Frequency x number of bits able to transfer

DeeBlock
04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
threadstarter, are you talking about finding what your connection speed is ...?

Yes!

food for thought
04-21-2011, 09:34 PM
what OS are you running?

Windows 7, vista or XP?

racist randy
04-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Check your bandwith: Your bandwith is the Frequency x number of bits able to transfer
...i just told u the answer...

diggy
04-25-2011, 10:11 PM
what os are you running?

Windows 7, vista or xp?

xp

WARPATH
04-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Just use the speed test website mentioned above. LOL The technical answer though is this:

Your computer (NIC), the way you connect to the net (wireless, type of wire,) your access points (the medium if your using in your internal network, if any) and your ISP are all capable of different speeds.

For example I have a fast computer NIC and internal network in my house that allows me to do a lot of fast transfers to other computers within my home, but not so fast uploading to the internet because of what my ISP allows home users.

Also upload speeds are (usually) slower for people that use an ISP via satellite versus say DSL or Cable.

diggy
04-30-2011, 02:29 PM
oh