PDA

View Full Version : Brand Nubian albums? Also LCOB albums?

oldie
04-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Any of these two groups got any must pick up albums?

Taskmaster2112
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Brand Nubian's first album, "One for All", is one of the best hip hop albums ever. Their three albums after that one, "In God We Trust", "Everything is Everything", and "Foundation" are all dope too. Each of the three rapping members' first solo albums (Grand Puba's "Reel to Reel", Sadat X's "Wild Cowboys", and Lord Jamar's "The 5% Album") are very good as well. I would recommend that you listen to all 7 of those albums I mentioned, but definitely start with "One for All".

claaa7
04-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Brand Nubian is one of my favorite groups of all time. i got all their albums plus most of their early solos, everything they released between '90 and '99 is worth having (group and solo).

their debut "One For All" got 5 mics in The Source when it was still a very credible magazine and i love that one. Grand Puba is one of the illest MCs of all time, but he left to pursue a solo career after O.F.A. and dropped "Reel to Reel" in '92 which is a must have imo, incredible album. Sadat X and Lord Jamar with DJ Sincere continued the group being more hardcore, they heavy on the 5% teachings - "In God We Trust" ('92) is my least favorite actually but it's still like 3.8/5 and it has an INSANE Diamond D beat on there and some other classics like "Allah Akbar".

In '94 they dropped "Everything is Everything", largely produced by Lord Jamar and it's the album that critics shit on but most Brand Nubian fans love (including me, one of my favorites of theirs). "Claimin' Im A Criminal" is one of the best hip-hop songs of all time, and there's plenty of greatness on there; "What The Fuck?!", "Return Of The Dread", "Word is Bond", "Alladat", etc.

'96 Sadat X dropped his solo album "Wild Cowboys" which is out of print but it's worth struggling to get, 3 Diamond D beats, 2 Buckwild, 1 Showbiz, 2 Ogee and one absolutely amazing Pete Rock beat oh and that Da Beatminerz track is crazy too. Minnesota did some heat too, extremely underrated album.

the year after that Grand Puba joined the group and they started working on their reunion album. they first recorded the 15 track album "Time's Running Out" that was largely self produced but the one Lord Finesse did called "Scientiscts Of Sound" is OOOOOH-WWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE hahahaha. the album got scrapped as they kept recording more material (it was released in 2007 tho).

instead the official reunion album was '98s "FOUNDATION" which featured 4 Lord Finesse tracks, 2 Buckwild beats, plus Diamond D, DJ Premier, Ogee and Chris "CL" Liggio. and of course a few self-produced tracks, but not very many but one they did was "Porbable Cause" which i fucking love. Lord Jamar is a great producer, he produced three or four tracks for Shabazz in the mid '90s, "Organized Rhyme Pt. II" and "Street Parables", etc.

after that they didn't record anything as a group until 2004 with "Fire in the Hole", 12 tracks and self produced. i really don't like that album much, but i know another big Brand Nubian fan who loves it so at least give it a try if you like the other albums. i bought it mainly to complete their album discography.

fatboybrandon
04-17-2011, 05:52 PM
oldie, honestly I think you're better off sitting down & listening to some radio podcasts that plays music of that time to discover Brand Nubian instead of reading through responses online.

No matter how much I type here, it can't replace the feeling of discovering music on your own from digging or by surprise.

I know most classic albums and discographies I learned about were through coming across a song by chance while sitting at home listening to radio or outside. That's a great feeling.

If I had to pick btwn discovering an artist's music through text on a forum or just letting the sound of it hit my eardrums in person, I'd pick the latter.

I could say One For All is a must buy, but you need to pick it up and find out for yourself how you like it. Hopefully you do.

oldie
04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
^^^yeah I know what you mean But there's no such thing as hip-hop on Tje radio in the uk, it's all shitty pop music.

I love finding artists just by listening to othet artists, for example I only found out bout the dopeness that is 7L & Esoteric but checking out every track Deck Is on - went on his Wikipedia page and started DL'n the tracks he featured on.
The reason I ask is cos I don't wanna waste my money buying shit, I mean I know Grand Puba is dope but it don't mean a group he's in is dope so thought I'd ask. I ain't keen on Sadat X but I'll still check the group stuff

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be back with my thoughts when ie got an album or two

Fatal Guillotine
04-18-2011, 09:05 AM
as far as lcob try picking up all 4 of them, the 4 one they release the group kinda imo tone down on their complex rhymes, in my personal opinion though my favorite album for them is Words from the Duat

Taskmaster2112
04-18-2011, 09:14 AM
I know Grand Puba is dope but it don't mean a group he's in is dope so thought I'd ask. I ain't keen on Sadat X but I'll still check the group stuff

Sadat is dope as hell on the first four Brand Nubian albums. He takes a lot of the tracks he's on in my opinion. He and Lord Jamar easily carry the two albums that Puba isn't on. And the two albums that Puba is on don't feel like Puba & Friends albums (even though he has a bunch of solo tracks on the first record). If anything, Puba is first among equals in the group.

Sadat X fell the fuck off though.

CharlesJones
04-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Only Brand Nubian album i like is Everything Is Everything. I like some songs on Grand Puba's Reel To Reel album. I don't like his other album 2000 and i didn't bother to listen to his other solo albums. I don't like Sadat X's solo albums and i didn't like Lord Jamar's solo album. Who is LCOB?

Lex Lugor
04-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Lol dont mention LCOB in the same breath as brand nubian... They're pretty dookey...
Brand nubian on the other hand, one for all, raw as hell..

Fatal Guillotine
04-30-2011, 03:21 PM
^you dont know what the hell you talking about

Lex Lugor
04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
hahahaha! of course you listen to lcob lol

spiggity_ace
04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
LCOB is an acquired taste but if ur into that outer space, ancient hisotry alternate theories stuff theyre the best way to go, i love gettin high n listenin to them though, songs like distant traveller and gladiators

Fatal Guillotine
05-01-2011, 01:22 PM
hahahaha! of course you listen to lcob lol

I dont know where muthafuckas like you are in real life. Im assuming somewhere keeping their thoughts to themselves.