PDA

View Full Version : ALL immigrants living in the US should know...

Tangaz
10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
I was just reading through the forums when i came across mention of RZA's WAtR2 being Asian based, with the next African, and I was reminded of an episode of Foreign Correspondent I caught here in Aus regarding something any US resident who's not born there should know.
I'm not sure how well known this law is over there, but if I let one of y'all know who didn't previously...
Below is the synopsis. There's also a link to the episodes' transcript underneath it, if you're interested.

Peace.

Cambodia Deportees
Broadcast: 04/10/2005

‘Hawaii’ – as he is nicknamed – draws anxious glances on the streets of Phnom Penh. Tattooed and dressed like an LA gangster, he struts through the Cambodian capital to the beat of American rap music.

“I thought I was just a normal American kid”, Hawaii told reporter Evan Williams. But he couldn’t have been more wrong: Hawaii was born in Cambodia, though to look at him you would never know it.

His family escaped the horrors of Pol Pot and fled to the United States as refugees when Hawaii was just seven months old. Impoverished and isolated from mainstream American culture, Hawaii grew up to pursue a life of crime and was jailed for dealing drugs.

Caught out by a new ‘get tough’ policy on migrant crime, Hawaii, along with over a hundred other young Cambodian-born men, was deported from the United States back to his country of origin. Another 1400 Cambodian refugees in the US are awaiting deportation.

In today’s America, if you commit one major crime or two minor crimes and don’t hold an American passport, you’ll do your jail time, and then be put on the first flight ‘home’ – even if ‘home’ is a country you left as a refugee when still a child.

“It’s double jeopardy”, according to Hawaii, “Why you going to
f.... somebody’s life up when he already paid for his f.... up – know what I’m saying – when he already paid for his crime”.

As aid worker Bill Herod - one of the few people trying to help young men like Hawaii - argues: “The US can’t take responsibility for everything, but it seems to me that when we accept groups of people as political refugees accepting them suggests some obligation to take care of them”.

Transcript (http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2005/s1477350.htm)

Born Ruler I
10-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes. It is going to be the norm.

One

Tangaz
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Damn son... How long has this been in effect, do you know?
And is there any limitation in regards to the safety of the country in which they're being deported to?

Born Ruler I
10-24-2005, 10:32 AM
There is new legislation being introduced for mandatory deportation of 'illegal aliens.' The irony is that it will only impact those arrested for any crimes, because industry needs immigrants to do the dirty work. If the US really wanted to stop illegal immigration, it would. Just like the drug trade.

One