PDA

View Full Version : Who's seen that MF Grimm graphic novel about his life story?

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.ifanboy.com/comics/dc_comics/iJUL080222/sentences_the_life_of_mf_grimm_tp/cover-medium.jpg

http://grandgood.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/062207_smfg1_p4.jpg

http://www.ifanboy.com/images/ifanboy/Sentences_2.jpg

Was nominated for 2 Eisner awards

audio interview with terry gross

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16074125

claaa7
04-24-2011, 01:49 PM
looks really dope! thx for posting, i totally forgot about this

Ghost In The 'Lac
04-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah I missed it too but it looks worth getting

http://www.ifanboy.com/content/botm/Book_of_the_Month_-_Sentences_The_Life_Of_Mf_Grimm_Tp

Sentences The Life Of Mf Grimm Tp

Written by Percy Carey
Art and cover by Ronald Wimberly
Publisher: DC COMICS
Price: $14.99

Life happens.

That might just be a pithy saying, a cliché to sell t-shirts and country music, but it also happens to be true. And it’s the central theme of Sentences.

When they are young, everyone has big plans for their life. Grand schemes, and pie in the sky ideas about what their future holds. If you had asked me when I was a kid I would have told you that by 31 I’d be in my tenth season with the Yankees. Somehow, that didn’t work out… I’m still not quite sure why. But when you’re young life is full of big possibilities and cold, hard reality hardly ever factors into the fantasy.

There are a lucky few, though, whose big plans are realized and whose dreams are fulfilled. Whether by dint of their natural talent and ability, blind luck, hard work and perseverance, or some mish-mashed combination of them all, these lucky few succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

And then there are some for whom life happens.

Percy Carey writes of such a life in his auto-biography, Sentences: The Life of MF Grimm.

I had seen this graphic novel around and was intrigued. Sentences received a lot of mainstream press attention – the initial hardcover release was named to Time Magazine’s Top 10 Graphic Novels of 2007 list – and a highly acclaimed autobiography by a first time comic book writer published by Vertigo will always land on my radar.

http://www.ifanboy.com/images/ifanboy/Sentences_1.jpg (http://www.ifanboy.com/content/botm/Book_of_the_Month_-_Sentences_The_Life_Of_Mf_Grimm_Tp#)Percy Carey was a talented kid growing up in New York City in the late 1970s/early 1980s. A bit of an actor, he appeared in commercials and as a featured kid on Sesame Street. He was also finding himself inexorably drawn to the still just burgeoning world of hip hop. Percy quickly found that he had a real talent as an MC and a future full of fame and fortune filled his head. And he just may have had the talent to make his dreams a reality.

Only one problem: life, and Percy himself, kept getting in the way.

Percy was a hot head with a temper who was a magnet for trouble. His mother taught him to always stand up for people when they needed help and with that lesson in mind, he stepped into the middle of an attempted sexual assault at a party, and was rewarded for his bravery by getting shot by the assailants. It wouldn’t be the first time he’d catch a bullet.

From then on, Percy’s life and his dreams of hip hop stardom would be inextricably linked with crime and tragedy and death.

Not being someone who is all that into hip hop, I was surprised at how instantly engaged I was with Sentences, and with Percy’s story. Admittedly, that was partially because (as I was surprised to find as I read this book) he and I lived about four blocks from each other in New York City. Hell, I lived right across the street from the studio where they shot Sesame Street; from our window we used to watch the limos drop the big time guest stars off. And as someone who lived in that same neighborhood that the first part of the story takes place in, I can attest to the authenticity of the book. New York City of the early 1980s bares very little resemblance to the New York City of 2008, but reading the first part of this book I was transported right back.

There is a reason why Percy Carey (or MF Grimm as he was known) was such a well regarded MC and someone with such a promising future in music ahead of him, he knows how to tell a story and make it relatable and compelling for anyone, not just people with the same experiences. This is not just a book for hip hop fans, though I'm sure it would hold a deeper meaning for those who are, as in the background of Percy's life the hip hop phenomenon is being birthed and many of its high profile players show up in this book.

http://www.ifanboy.com/images/ifanboy/Sentences_2.jpg (http://www.ifanboy.com/content/botm/Book_of_the_Month_-_Sentences_The_Life_Of_Mf_Grimm_Tp#)Percy’s story is ultimately measured by tragedy. Things do not go as planned. Just about every time something good is about to happen, or he is on the verge of catching a break or signing a record contract, or just finally crawling out his old world, life happens to Percy. To be clear, much of the tragedy that befalls Percy is a result of his temper, his lifestyle, and the choices he has made. That is the tragedy of Percy’s story. Most of the time he knows that he is sabotaging himself, but all too often, as is the case with most of us, he doesn’t learn his lessons until it’s far too late. For me that usually results in a bad break-up or a friendship that needs mending. For Percy, the stakes were higher and his lessons usually came with dead friends, a prison sentence, or a future in a wheelchair.

The art from Ronald Wimberly is as strong as the writing is and is as big a factor as anything else in making this book great. The style is at heart cartoony, but there are subtle shifts to his art depending on the scene. The most noticeable change in style happens when the story shifts into action mode: the art becomes more exaggerated as if to suggest that when fists or bullets start flying, everything changes and spins out of control. Or maybe it signifies that memories of such traumatic events are often altered and exaggerated. Whatever the reason, the instances of exaggeration were a very interesting visual choice that at first I found odd, but then once I understood what I took to be the meaning behind the shift in style I found it to be very smart and engaging way to visualize trauma.

Some of you might be reading this and thinking that you don’t care about hip hop so why should you read this book. Why should you care about one more story about a guy whose violent lifestyle led to violent ends? You should read it because Percy Carey’s story is compelling. It is a reminder that we are all the victims of our own choices and decisions, and that no matter how well laid out we think our life is, things will always happen to knock us off track.

What we do after we get knocked off track, that's the measure of who we are.

Conor Kilpatrick
conor@ifanboy.com

BIG D O
04-24-2011, 02:58 PM
it's def. dope....I downloaded it....real ill....

THE MASON
04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
read the hard copy of this, super dope. short but insightful. Grimm opens up about a lot of things, might have to pick it up again and re read it, or i might just buy it if i can find a hard copy of it.

good book tho, recommended reading for sure

manhattan360
04-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Dope Read they Really gotta make a movie about his life I heard it was supposedly gonna be avalible in libraries nation wide wonder of its true

seywhat
04-26-2011, 03:30 AM
yeah, i got this from the library a lil while back, before i really even knew who grimm was, this book was dope and had my attention the whole time, real neat to learn the real stories behind what happened from the man himself. artwork was on point as well, everything about it was real cool for sure, great read for fans of grimm, hip hop or just comic books alike

GhettoGnom
04-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah, like I everyone else, I loved this. Bought it a while after it was released and was well worth the money.. The illustrations is great and the comic book format worked perfectly! A long story told in a short form, and overall it works really well, though my only complaint would be that he could've extended a few parts.

MaskedAvenger
04-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah I got this, its dope. Grimm has one of the illest stories to tell

J-Cee
04-26-2011, 07:56 AM
one hell of a fuckin story,everyone should read this at some point..

RynMur
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Def worth the money! Whats up with that new MIC album?

main_man
04-27-2011, 03:28 AM
yeah, i copped this when it came out.

if you dont got it, GET IT!!

great read and it cements the fact that Grimm is one of the realest rappers PERIOD.

J-Cee
04-27-2011, 05:29 AM
one of the realest for sure,being the person he was/is and what hes been through made me understand and enjoy his music alot more,nowdays hes in my top 5 rappers no doubt.

theDZA
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
ive got it...really good read and cool artwork too

MF grimm is one of my favourite MCs and so i really enjoyed it