PDA

View Full Version : Odd Future partners with Sony's RED Distribution for their own label

Mcthuggin99
04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Over the last six months, the conversation-starting rap rapscallions in Odd Future (http://pitchfork.com/artists/29238-odd-future-wolf-gang-kill-them-all/) have seen their collective profile increase more and more, and now it's culminated in the group striking their own record deal.
Rap Radar (http://rapradar.com/2011/04/26/odd-future-strikes-record-deal/) reports and Odd Future's publicist confirms that Odd Future have partnered with RED Distribution (http://www.redmusic.com/)/Sony (http://www.sonymusic.com/) to form their own label, Odd Future Records. The deal will cover all acts associated with the group and allow them the same level of creative freedom they work under now (which, considering some of the raw shit these kids say and do, is kind of integral to how they operate).

A statement sent to us by their publicist reads:
"Odd Future Sign Themselves.
"LA artist collective OFWGKTA continue down a non-traditional path creating their own recorded music label 'Odd Future Records'. Tyler, Hodgy, Leftbrain, Domo, Mike, Syd and crew will partner with Sony's RED Distribution arm to release music-based content consistent with their vision."
In a statement released to Rap Radar, OFWGKTA manager Chris Clancy said, "They will have 100% creative control of all aspects of their music, art, and release schedule with no 3rd party participation in outside business...RED and Sony know that it's in everyone's best interest to maintain the group's authenticity and control. They built it, they deserve it. There's no cheesy hooks or fluorescent liquor product placements in the works.. It's about to be fun.. and different..."

Taskmaster2112
04-26-2011, 09:01 PM
I noticed that when they listed the Odd Future members they didn't include Earl. Hmm...

Mcthuggin99
04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
maybe because he wasnt there to sign anything

CEITEDMOFO
04-27-2011, 06:08 PM
YOU REALLY GONNA POST THIS IN A WU TANG FORuM?

///

HALL OF SHIRTLESS SAMAONIAN BOYS LICKING ICE CREAM
http://cdnl.complex.com/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/MUSIC/2011/04/earl-sweatshirt-cra-lead.jpg

Mr. R&B
04-27-2011, 06:57 PM
It is pretty gay how lil dude is right in the middle of all the shirtless guys.

EAGLE EYE
04-28-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm sure they love Tyler's recent remarks praising the Columbine school shooters.

People out here will beat him to a pulp, if he decides to tour and start talking reckless like that.

Taskmaster2112
04-28-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm sure they love Tyler's recent remarks praising the Columbine school shooters.

People out here will beat him to a pulp, if he decides to tour and start talking reckless like that.

Just to play devil's advocate here, I don't think Tyler was praising the shooters' actions. They were bullied and treated like shit by the other students at the school and that (along with one of the kids' mental illness) was one of the primary reasons they did what they did. If I'm remembering correctly Tyler was saying that he bets those kids were really cool and nobody took the time or effort to find out, and I think he meant that none of the kids they went to school with who treated them like shit took the time to actually interact with those two guys on any real basis.

Or Tyler could just be an asshole on this subject. I don't really know. I think he seems like too intelligent of a guy to really be praising those guys for killing a bunch of teenagers though. I think in the abstract Tyler talks about violence and stuff but when it comes to actual despicable acts of violence he'd have enough of a head on his shoulders to draw the line.

Wh0am3ye?
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
This ain't no v-tech shit or columbine but this the revenge of the dicks!!!!!!

Mcthuggin99
04-28-2011, 02:05 PM
This ain't no v-tech shit or columbine but after Bowling I went home for some damn Adventure Time
fixed

Matthew
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
thats whats up. I expect big shit from these dudes. Mike G's GOLD and Hodgy said he's goin to be droppin a new solo album, both those should be legit

EAGLE EYE
04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here, I don't think Tyler was praising the shooters' actions. They were bullied and treated like shit by the other students at the school and that (along with one of the kids' mental illness) was one of the primary reasons they did what they did. If I'm remembering correctly Tyler was saying that he bets those kids were really cool and nobody took the time or effort to find out, and I think he meant that none of the kids they went to school with who treated them like shit took the time to actually interact with those two guys on any real basis.

Or Tyler could just be an asshole on this subject. I don't really know. I think he seems like too intelligent of a guy to really be praising those guys for killing a bunch of teenagers though. I think in the abstract Tyler talks about violence and stuff but when it comes to actual despicable acts of violence he'd have enough of a head on his shoulders to draw the line.

I don't care if he thinks they were cool and not given a chance. Plenty of people get bullied and don't go on mass murder sprees.

Those kids were damaged and would've killed at some point in their lives. It was inevitable.

This new generation of rappers often come across as fucking idiots when they try to get their point across. After reading Lil b's deep, philosophical essay about homosexuality .. I think I've had enough for now. These kids live in a little dream world. Next they'll be burning bibles or korans in music videos wondering why they have a bounty on their head.

Taskmaster2112
04-28-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't care if he thinks they were cool and not given a chance. Plenty of people get bullied and don't go on mass murder sprees.

Those kids were damaged and would've killed at some point in their lives. It was inevitable.

This new generation of rappers often come across as fucking idiots when they try to get their point across. After reading Lil b's deep, philosophical essay about homosexuality .. I think I've had enough for now. These kids live in a little dream world. Next they'll be burning bibles or korans in music videos wondering why they have a bounty on their head.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. I think that Tyler making those comments was a stupid thing for him to do, but I was just trying to clarify where I think he was coming from, even if he was misguided in saying what he said. Peace.