PDA

View Full Version : need tips for mixing

catx420x
05-13-2011, 05:09 AM
I don't know much about mixing so was wondering if someone can help me out? I only used fruity compressor on the drums, and added a"maximus" preset to the sample. feedback is appreciated

http://www.box.net/shared/0uo11ia3fh

llBARlllCODEll
05-13-2011, 10:02 AM
nice beat homie. mixin aint my thing yet either. i am feelin that beat though. got anymore?

KSTVRLSN
05-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Beat is REAL nice, I guess you're messing with FL ?

I'm not 100% on mixing either, but i could take a listen again when i'm not on a shitty laptop.

KSTVRLSN
05-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Doublepost.

catx420x
05-13-2011, 02:17 PM
nice beat homie. mixin aint my thing yet either. i am feelin that beat though. got anymore?

I just made this real quick got couple more like this, I tried to check out your beats but soundcloud isn't working for me at all the past few days..

[QUOTE=KSTVRLSN;2095256]Beat is REAL nice, I guess you're messing with FL ?

yes FL

Memory Man
05-13-2011, 02:59 PM
nice joint! what are the attack/release settings on the drum compressor? you might wanna try longer attack/shorter release cuz the snare especially sounds a little squashed.

Professor Poopsnagle
05-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know much about mixing so was wondering if someone can help me out? I only used fruity compressor on the drums, and added a"maximus" preset to the sample. feedback is appreciated

http://www.box.net/shared/0uo11ia3fh
That's really good actually. I love that instrument, it sounds like a hammered dulcimer, but more oriental. The drums swing loosely like my balls on a summer evening. Like MM said, the snare sounds a little crushed, but I think it's the sample of the snare, not the compression 'cause it sounds like a snare I've used before. I would replace it it with more muffled snare 'cause the sample you're using is in a high octave and my experience is that lower sounding/muffled snares sound better when high pitches instruments are leading.
The mix sounds good, but the bass sounds a little soft and muddy. I would choose a better bass plug in or sample for the bass. Or maybe, since your sample is using only one instrument, make it a lower sounding guitar to make it sound 'fuller'.
Also, since you made a bassline, you probably know the key, throw on some other samples that are in the same key. I think some horns or clarinet would sound real nice.
One last thing, at :50 (and some other points) the chops need some glueing though.

catx420x
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
nice joint! what are the attack/release settings on the drum compressor? you might wanna try longer attack/shorter release cuz the snare especially sounds a little squashed.

everything is on default settings but the gain is on 30 dB for the kick and snare. but I guess the snare isn't good to start with. gonna try the attack/shorter release settings thanks!

That's really good actually. I love that instrument, it sounds like a hammered dulcimer, but more oriental. The drums swing loosely like my balls on a summer evening. Like MM said, the snare sounds a little crushed, but I think it's the sample of the snare, not the compression 'cause it sounds like a snare I've used before. I would replace it it with more muffled snare 'cause the sample you're using is in a high octave and my experience is that lower sounding/muffled snares sound better when high pitches instruments are leading.
The mix sounds good, but the bass sounds a little soft and muddy. I would choose a better bass plug in or sample for the bass. Or maybe, since your sample is using only one instrument, make it a lower sounding guitar to make it sound 'fuller'.
Also, since you made a bassline, you probably know the key, throw on some other samples that are in the same key. I think some horns or clarinet would sound real nice.
One last thing, at :50 (and some other points) the chops need some glueing though.

good lookin jasper, u always droppin good tips. FL studio bass plug in sucks ass, I just copped spectrasonics trilogy for bass right now hope it's good. gonna try that with the ezdrummer lol.

do u know any good tutorials on the yt for this? most of them are horrible.