PDA

View Full Version : so I made this beat today...

Mumm Ra
05-17-2011, 06:00 AM
Shoestrings (http://www.box.net/shared/kc0bjsob01)

i been trying to approach beats differently from what im use to lately
first time i didnt quantize the hi hats at all too - its impossible for me to hit them on time with my latency so i just recorded em and moved the whole group 1/16

think im gonna do that from now on cause it gives it a way better feel, IMO anyway

KSTVRLSN
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM
That gives a nice swing on the drums for sure !

The flute samples sounds real sick, like some old mayan shit !

Peace

H.Notik
05-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Cool on the loop tip. I was waiting for more left me like aww shit :(

lol

Professor Poopsnagle
05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
The sample is kind of annoying to me, but the drums sound good. Not my type of swing though. I'm kind of in the same boat though, with unquantized recording.

Here's a trick for you, since you have an MPD...

Let an empty 2 bar pattern play, no drums, no nothing
turn on the metronome
hit the snare where it should be (the metronome will tell you)
when you think you got your timing right, hit the REC button on the MPD and record your snares
Turn off the metronome (use your snares instead) and also turn off REC and then play the kick drum
play it till you think you got the timing and feeling right and then hit the REC button again real quick with you still hitting your kicks
Turn off REC again and now you pick a hat, choose 16 levels on the MPD and just play along with your kick snare pattern. Use different velocities to give it that dope swing. Once again, hit REC when you got your groove right.

So basically, you hit the recording button while you're playing, not before. Do all of this unquantised of course (snap to none)

http://www.foxdubs.com/amisane/11.jpg

Mumm Ra
05-17-2011, 11:45 AM
good stuff yo - i always been using the countdown then recording method to the point i forgot it wasn't my only option lol
my only concern is a 2 bar drum loop seems pretty short tho, 2 beat maybe

and yeah i didnt spend too much time on the sample game for this one lol - i made the drums first then looked through some vinyl recordings i recorded yesterday, probably could've found something better

INF
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I like the sample when it plays out for the main but when it picks up it gets kinda twisted.the drums I like and the cymbal game def MADE that swing.

that sucks that you have to go thru that with the latency and can't really record in real time. I know what thats like to a degree when all I had was my midi controller and not even a decent soundcard. My old stock soundcard would pull that shit and it was horrible to me....ruined so many sessions or ideas.hope you end up finding a way around that cuz you make some dope ish , you got too good a sound to deal with that lil shit

listening to this a couple times more since writing this up and the part where the sample picks up isn't that bad to me now.

Keep on Keepin on Lucid!!! 1

Mumm Ra
05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
peace! :cool:

Professor Poopsnagle
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
good stuff yo - i always been using the countdown then recording method to the point i forgot it wasn't my only option lol
my only concern is a 2 bar drum loop seems pretty short tho, 2 beat maybe

and yeah i didnt spend too much time on the sample game for this one lol - i made the drums first then looked through some vinyl recordings i recorded yesterday, probably could've found something better
2 beats is real short. 2 bars should be long enough, if not make it 4. Whatever suits you.

I used the countdown method before, but I kept fucking it all up and when done it all too precise. I now just press the record button while jamming and it just comes out more relaxed and loose. Seriously, try it.

Also, bob your head. Move your body. I know this seems gay, but that's the best advise I followed.

Boss_Digger
05-18-2011, 01:48 AM
I actually quite like the sample on this one, producers have a tendancy to over cram there beats with sounds to make them sound full, completley forgetting to leave room for the mc so when the mc does get on it the whole thing sounds cluttered as fuck. This was nice and open and I could see a real dope mc bringing the sample to life with a smooth jazzy/soul type of deliverey. It could of done with a switch here and there tho, nothing major even, just a little something even if it was a filter effect on the samp for a bar or 2. I felt you had the swing pretty much there but it did feel like there was some thing missing in them, If anything I would lean towards adding a secondary kick swing out as late as possible after the lead kick here and there. so basically you treat your kicks like a pendulam, the ghost/pre kick swings in slightly early ahead of the lead kick and then swing out with the secondary kick. hope that makes sence.

ps I know latency issues can suck, when i was using reason i had a internal m-audio delta 1010LT which was affordable and had zero latency, shit never caused me a hassle once!!! plus you get a fuck load of recording in/out options which may proove handy if you ever move to hardware

Mumm Ra
05-18-2011, 02:09 AM
peace mantis good info :thumbup:

Uncle Steezo
05-18-2011, 08:07 AM
i can dig it. it's a new rhyhtm from you. not quite my flavor but keep pushing this direction, lets see where this road leads.