PDA

View Full Version : Paralyzed student walks onto stage as a robot

check two
05-17-2011, 11:33 PM
sZ_FCtRRgBk

A crowd of 15,000 cheered as UC Berkeley graduating senior Austin Whitney took seven steps with the help of a remarkable robotic exoskeleton to get his degree last week.

Whitney was paralyzed from the waist down in a car accident in 2007, and has been a paraplegic ever since. Berkeley Professor Homayoon Kazerooni and a team of graduate students worked to design the robotic device Whitney operated via a switch on his walker to move toward Chancellor Robert Birgeneau to shake his hand.

"'If somebody told me four years ago that I'd be walking at this graduation, I would have never believed them in a million years," Whitney told ABC News.

Whitney, who majored in history and political science, was the exoskeleton's first human test pilot, and the team named the device after him. "This team is so much more than just a group of researchers. They are my best friends at the university," he told Berkeley's news center. Most exoskeletons on the market cost about $100,000--the researchers are trying to make their model more affordable.

Whitney had been drinking when he crashed his car into a tree and severed his spinal cord four years ago; he now gives motivational talks about the dangers of drinking and driving.

ALCATRAZ
05-18-2011, 01:01 AM
lol @ the thread title

Uncle Steezo
05-18-2011, 01:59 AM
lol@ HOW he became a reeves.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
05-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Hahaha he crashed from his own DUI. Bro as fuck. They still rebuilt his ass. Now he can drink and drive like a cyborg.

PANDA PISS
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
moral of the story is if you drink drive you turn into a george bush type motivational speaker cyborg robot.