PDA

View Full Version : KTL archive thread?

Prolifical ENG
10-21-2005, 09:34 PM
This is just an idea to make this place a little bit better an organized....

When many common topics are already done in this board, I was thinking of making an archive sticky thread, where thread links are index in some kind of order. The good KTL threads cant just be archived in the "classic moments" archive forum, just because of the nature of this forum compared to the other forums.

This could have been REALLY useful in the old KTL when so many things have been done (actually I think there was one, or that might have been another site)

Anyway...right now there might not be that many threads worth indexing, but there are some here. And there will be threads after a while that can be added to it.

I was wondering what you guys think about it. I dont know who would look after it....I might do it myself....or someone here....or both of us.

who knows.

LHX
10-21-2005, 09:54 PM
i thought about that too in the past

but

i dont think that forums are the right kind of place for that stuff

a lot of learning gets done on the fly

it is different to be engaged in a discussion than it is to research other peoples opinions on a piece of work

forums work better as something that is alive rather than as a library

besides

the good stuff is always worth repeating to those who are serious to do some building

PEACE

noel411
10-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Shit, I didn't even realise you were a mod here. That's good. You're a good person for that position. I think your idea sounds like it could work well. Could always give it a go, and if it doesn't go well just go back to normal.

Sicka than aidZ
10-22-2005, 02:11 AM
great idea. get a patent. peace

Golden_Armz
10-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah i think thats a good idea....

it will make it make it more organised, PEACE

Prolifical ENG
10-22-2005, 09:44 PM
yeah, when something is archived, if I have enough time, I could "prune" the threads. But you are right about it being better following a thread.

i dont think that forums are the right kind of place for that stuff

but in a way, thats why some people will choose to post on message boards rather than in a chat room.

it is different to be engaged in a discussion than it is to research other peoples opinions on a piece of work

yes, it is unfortunate if someone is absent when the thread is built and follow it, if not adding to it. but some people frefer to do this.

for people like you and me, we post all the time, and often enough. however, there are many other people that will very rarely post a word in a forum and use the search function all the time. You would be suprised on the amount of people that dig up the threads that are pages back in this forum.

forums work better as something that is alive rather than as a library

Forums always have both of those characteristics...regardless if there is an archive thread.

the good stuff is always worth repeating to those who are serious to do some building

That might be true, however some people think as this as a nuissence. it can very well be repeated, instead of locking the thread up because there is already an achived thread about it. A pattern in these types of forums I have seen, is the people that already built on a topic, will usually just dismiss the topic. I am sure some serious builders will do it again.

But I will see.....if there isnt that much support, I wont bother....I guess I am just looking too far ahead of this forum. At this time there hasnt been enough threads to make one yet.

P.S. this idea has always been used....I am far from getting it patented...lol

K.E.G.
10-23-2005, 05:05 PM
the beef isn't a burger yet, but i prefer not to jump to page 32 for somebody's update on the way back was stuff. threads should have a retirement age or quota if they don't presently. A limit for sticky updates and a limit for domain life.

Prolifical ENG
10-23-2005, 06:47 PM
hmmm, this generation of KTL posters have a different view on how threads should be built here than before.

MaShPG
10-24-2005, 10:06 PM
You can make a Race genre, and an everything else genre.