PDA

View Full Version : hip-hop in the classroom.

kid cal
10-22-2005, 01:45 AM
so in my period 1 writing for the humanities class, we have to choose a word to define in a paper consisting of 2 pages or more. to continue with our "brainstorming", we had to write down 2-4 questions concerning the word we chose. naturally i chose hip-hop, just because it's something i'm interested in, therefore it would be easy to write about. well what we did with these questions was pass them around the class and other students would respond. most people passed mine on because they didn't want to answer, but i thought you all might find what answers i did get entertaining, and most of them pretty sad.

What do you think of when you hear the word hip-hop?

1. I think of dancing and sometimes of a club. I think of 96.1 (our popular music radio station). I think of weird names like Chingy, 50 Cent, Ciara, etc.

2. I think of break dancing and rap music.

3. I think of rappers and gangsters. Music is mostly rap.

4. I think of club music, fast pace, up tempo, big chains, bling.

5. Fubu/Sean John/etc. and murder.

How is hip-hop significant to mainstream music today?

1. It is a big role model for many different teenagers all over the world.

2. It is one of the most popular types of music today, mainly for the city/urban areas and is heard often over the radio by a lot of people.

3. Yes, it plays a constant role to many young people whether they enjoy the type of music.

Sicka than aidZ
10-22-2005, 02:57 AM
my sixth grade teacher let us play 2live crew, nwa, all that. it was a trip. no joke, cus words an all

Sicka than aidZ
10-22-2005, 02:57 AM
nvm

iNtell3kT
10-22-2005, 03:28 AM
once ina while we got to listen to the radio in school, which mostly was the current hip/R&B station...i do remember once our music teacher (liek most teaching us the USA Anthem, and classical old music n shit) thought Coolio's remake of Fantastic Voyage was a good mix of old school and hip-hop, and made us memorize the song (Coolio's remake) that day and 2mor come in a rap it, im the only one that knew the entire song already....

Unforgiven
10-22-2005, 03:49 AM
today we were playing volleyball with the chicks in gym class and iunno out of the spur of the moment they brought out the boombox so they put on a cd and like half way through some gay ass music, ruff ryders anthem comes on, dmx says bitches wanna cry, bitches wanna die, my teacher walked over and skipped it....hip hip in the classroom my ass!

crass
10-22-2005, 04:11 AM
Fubu/Sean John/etc. and murder.

}:T }:T }:T

Chief 'Broom
10-22-2005, 09:10 AM
yea how foolish - you could tell those answers were written during class cuz everyone just bullshitted and make any points

MaShPG
10-22-2005, 02:11 PM
yea if you think of murder, gangstas, and bling when you hear hip hop....you need to study more.

RADIOACTIVE MAN
10-22-2005, 02:16 PM
kid cal=the shit

for real,ya topics is the realness

keep it up

TeknicelStylez
10-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I went to an alternative highschool after getting kicked out of 3 schools. My homeroom teacher was a producer and an M.C. he did a couple of tracks with my cousin, he was God Body too I think cause he stayed dropping knowledge that half of us didn't understand. We would constantly talk about Hip Hop all through homeroom, and he would play KRS, Rakim, Wu, throw back joints and shit. We would come in with writtens and spit em during homeroom and he'd give us constructive criticism on em. That school was mad hip hop oriented, alot of kids there spit so we would do that any chance we got. Cyphers outside, Cyphers in the Caf, Cyphers during class when we wasn't doing nothing. I loved that fuckin school werd is bond.

2. It is one of the most popular types of music today, mainly for the city/urban areas and is heard often over the radio by a lot of people.
Fuck outta here any respectable gangsta knows that them mainstream artists is bitches. We bump mixtapes and local shit, if we do bump mainstream that shit is bootlegged. Like 90% of their revenue is composed by suburban white kids who buy the cd to bump in their mercedes benz. Just take a look at the crowd at a 50 cent concert. IDK if I was trying to come off as a gangster and my fan base consisted of fake thugs I would be pretty upset with myself, it's amazing what people do to make money.

Prolifical ENG
10-22-2005, 05:26 PM
you didnt pick an easy term to define.

the definition changes through time. what hip hop was supposed to be in the 70's is much different that in the 1990's and is different that it is today.

I have read enough topics on what hip hop is.

If I was writing a paper, I would structure it in how the definition seemed to evolve.

Its kind of complex, its like trying to define what people are "civilized" and which arent.....this definition changed through thousands of years.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
10-22-2005, 07:13 PM
^ interesting

as mos def said "hip hop is the people, and hip hop wont get better till the people get better"