PDA

View Full Version : Shaquille O'Neal retires

check two
06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
For the past few seasons, Shaquille O'Neal has been a shadow of his former dominant self, putting in some excellent games but generally struggling with injuries. It hasn't been the most surprising development for a player of Shaq's stature, but it has been an odd sight to see a player who was once such a force turn into a role player. It's the way of the world for former stars: they remind us of their old selves and can't quite match the same level of production.

So it should come as no surprise that Shaq, current Boston Celtics center, announced his retirement from the NBA after 19 seasons on Wednesday afternoon via a short 15-second video posted to his Twitter account from the social media service Tout. Shaq had a rough season for the Celtics, playing in only 37 games before sitting out in January due to a persistent Achilles tendon injury. He came back for two playoff games against the Miami Heat, but he was obviously hobbled and played just 12 combined minutes with little effect on the result. It wasn't a glorious end to his stellar career, but it's also hard to blame him for shying away from a prolonged rehab process when there's been little indication he'd be able to make a full recovery or avoid further injury.

He spoke to Jackie MacMullan of ESPN.com about his decision:

"I really, really thought about coming back," he said, "but this Achilles is very damaged and if I had it done the recovery would be so long we'd have same outcome as this last year -- everyone sitting around and waiting for me.

"I didn't want to let people down two years in a row. I didn't want to hold Boston hostage again.

"I'm letting everybody know now so Danny (Ainge) and the organization can try to get younger talent. I would love to come back, but they say once the Achilles is damaged it's never the same. I don't want to take that chance."

By all indications, this is the end of the road for the Diesel.

As is the case when any great player retires, it's now time to look back on his accomplishments and take stock of his career. Shaq did much on the court that will ensure his enshrinement as a first-ballot Hall of Famer in Springfield: four championships (three with the Lakers, one with the Heat), one MVP award in 2000, 15 All-Star appearances, eight All-NBA First Team selections, and a reputation as the most dominant player in the league for at least half a decade. When historians take a look at the post-Jordan era, O'Neal will be one of its most notable figures.

Apart from his on-court greatness, though, Shaq deserves notice for the way he leveraged his outsized game into a position as a multimedia sensation. When he came into the NBA in 1992, Shaq was on his way to a rap and acting career. While those forays into entertainment earned him a good deal of mockery and fell by the wayside as he became a champion, it's important to remember that they helped define his brand as much as the times he shattered backboards and brought down the basket stanchion. Whatever he did, whether on the court or off, Shaq was huge.

That's why it's hard to imagine his retirement as his saying goodbye to the NBA, let alone public life. We won't ever see him on an NBA court again, but Shaquille O'Neal isn't going anywhere.

-http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Shaquille-O-8217-Neal-announces-retirement-via-?urn=nba-wp4211

RUSHING PLATYPUS
06-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Great player! Great entertainer! Great personality! Hope he goes into broadcasting with Barkley! What a career! The most physically dominant player, and one of the greatest, if not the greatest centers of all time!!

DXN
06-03-2011, 02:21 AM
shaq was my favorite player, hate to see him retire.

ui53VtVBF3M

MaskedAvenger
06-03-2011, 02:56 AM
damn, i really am getting old, I remember when dude was a rookie

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
shaq advice to the new generation NBA player.."Be a leader, not a follower"

nice little dig at LeBoob

theheavens
06-05-2011, 07:47 PM
one of the best players/centers to ever play the game.

NOTE: he's a Muslim, which is the only reason I give a shit

check two
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
^^
Yeah, that's the only reason a person should care, lol

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Great player! Great entertainer! Great personality! Hope he goes into broadcasting with Barkley!
lol he's one of the greatest ever but probably the most boring human to listen to ever

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 07:54 PM
one of the best players/centers to ever play the game.

NOTE: he's a Muslim, which is the only reason I give a shit

no he's not, he just said that as a joke. read his autobiography.

bahahahaha!!! u been duped this whole time.

theheavens
06-05-2011, 07:58 PM
actually he is. he's confirmed it in videos and articles. he went on his Hajj (minor) in 2009 or some shit

check two
06-05-2011, 08:00 PM
who really cares though if he is or isn't?

theheavens
06-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I guess it doesn't, except DickyTouch is afraid that he might like a Muslim. boo!

RUSHING PLATYPUS
06-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Why would someone be afraid he might be Muslim? What's wrong with being Muslim?

theheavens
06-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Why would someone be afraid he might be Muslim? What's wrong with being Muslim?

nah I meant DickyTouch (a scandinavian mayflower Yankee whatever-the-fuck-he-is) is afraid to admit he likes a Muslim...like Shaq. as most people today are. my friends are still recovering from the shock that Dave Chappelle is a muslim.........

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 08:46 PM
i dont care what he does, im just telling you he is not one, and did it as a joke.

you fear christianity and europeans.

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
it doesnt take long to research that shaq is indeed muslim

i think we should all fear christianity

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 08:56 PM
i think we should all fear wiggers from michigan

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 08:58 PM
if you're that weak minded then sure
i would assume them to be harmless but i dont know any

cook any good micky D fries lately?

EAGLE EYE
06-05-2011, 09:01 PM
religion has gotten outta control

http://i55.tinypic.com/jsdeyr.jpg

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 09:03 PM
religion been outta control
white people with pets went outta control
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kjIQXVNfEx8/SQhosJUze8I/AAAAAAAAD28/rWp3JsGF-Y4/s400/yodadog.jpg

check two
06-05-2011, 09:07 PM
lol @ fat black women being disgusted by a cat sitting on the lazy boy.

theheavens
06-05-2011, 09:08 PM
i dont care what he does, im just telling you he is not one, and did it as a joke.

you fear christianity and europeans.

you obviously fear Muslims. he IS a Muslim, get over it. his mom was a Baptist, step-dad is a Muslim who introduced him to Islam. in early 2000s he converted to Islam and last year decided to go on a Hajj at a later date. he's talked about his muslim faith before. here's one of many articles that confirms it:

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/may/29/sports/sp-lakerep29

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
nicky just fears muslims, neighborhoods and the people that live in them, black people, and michiganian wiggers
dont mind him, he's a frightened little man. im not sure how he steps outside his bubble each morning.

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 09:19 PM
if you're that weak minded then sure
i would assume them to be harmless but i dont know any

cook any good micky D fries lately?

what do you mean. You ARE ONE.

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
lol you're gonna tell me how i act? and who the hell are you again? nobody in my 25 years ever made that assertion about me. i act like myself.

you still haven't answered how them fries turned out

check two
06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Shaq seems too happy to be a religious person

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 09:29 PM
im the best fry cook in East Cleveland.....you should try them out, i kno you like to pretend your poor....well it doesnt get anymore poor and desolate than Euclid avenue in E.C.

theheavens
06-05-2011, 09:32 PM
get back on the Mayflower please...and don't come back

Olive Oil Goombah
06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
we brought wealth and greatness to this otherwise barren continent.

and your trying to ruin it with your mooselim shit

theheavens
06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
we brought wealth and greatness to this otherwise barren continent.

and your trying to ruin it with your mooselim shit

haha he finally shows his true colors. yeah, you also brought small pox and ruined everything you put your hands on.

like I said...back on the Mayflower

EAGLE EYE
06-05-2011, 10:38 PM
^aren't you that white guy who explained to me why you converted to Islam in a different thread?

wouldn't you be on the mayflower too?

Mumm Ra
06-05-2011, 11:34 PM
shaq o'neil sho was a good basketball player

Olive Oil Goombah
06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I wish i came over on the mayflower. I would have so much to be proud of....ancestors fighting in the Revolution and the Civil War.

who the fuck would want to be a muslim who came over on an American Airlines flight?

theheavens
06-07-2011, 02:28 AM
I wish i came over on the mayflower. I would have so much to be proud of....ancestors fighting in the Revolution and the Civil War.

who the fuck would want to be a muslim who came over on an American Airlines flight?

2zBg_VN2T0c

so much to be proud of.....

EAGLE EYE
06-07-2011, 02:56 AM
I don't believe the excessive hubristic pride that all races and religions on this planet subscribe to has helped anything.

Frank Drebin
06-07-2011, 04:34 AM
SHAQ ahhhhhhhha your the greatest of the universe.

shaq was sick stole the limelight from Jordan for a little, great player all time, great entertainer too

Olive Oil Goombah
06-07-2011, 10:56 AM
2zBg_VN2T0c

so much to be proud of.....

Malcolm didnt have to much to be proud of in his lifetime either.....bangin out whorish white married chicks than cowering from their husbands while he hides under her bed....

...losing to a white man in a boxing match and being scared to death before the fight.

...excessive drug use.

...excessive perming of the hair.

drug dealing..

attending an all white school....

being scared to death of Italian mobsters looking to "hold court" and hiding in a phone booth

but don't take my word for it, cuz thats what he said.

If Malcolm can change, so can you.

Embrace the good deeds your white ancestors have done and stop trying to appease a group of people (racists) that will always hate and judge you.

Loser, ur just in it for the 37 virgins anyway

theheavens
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
how do you think I got into Islam? reading Malcolm's autobiography! so don't try to school me on the brother. you're not even worthy to mention the man's name.

Anglophile? still fucking disgusting. it's people like you why I moved away from my culture. get back on the mayflower and don't fucking come back

Olive Oil Goombah
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
LMAO!!!

i told your pasty ass i WISH I came over on the Mayflower!!

theheavens
06-25-2011, 02:58 PM
oh wait. I can't let your Mayflower ass have the last word. Still afraid Shaq is a muslim? don't worry, you still have the other uncle toms to root for. but the 3 greatest centers ever, you ain't getting...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar_Lipofsky.jpg

http://fantasysportsmatrix.com/files/photos/user-26/Hakeem_vs_Shaq.jpg

suck it, you aryan fuck!

check two
06-27-2011, 04:33 AM
No Bill Russell?

spiggity_ace
06-27-2011, 04:55 AM
hahaha wilts the greatest center ever, and dont even try to say otherwise, bill russel gotta be number 2, then shaq then the other 2, kareem was dominant for a while as well, and hakeem could drop any center in the post, just see how bad he made d robinson look like while he was fasting too and that was the year the admiral won mvp, shaq was a great talent

check two
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Hakeem is number one for sure as far as talent goes. Shaq was strong, but not near as skilled as Hakeem or Bill Russell. Wilt was a little overhyped cause of the 100 point game and sleeping with a lot of fat women.

spiggity_ace
07-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Hakeem is number one for sure as far as talent goes. Shaq was strong, but not near as skilled as Hakeem or Bill Russell. Wilt was a little overhyped cause of the 100 point game and sleeping with a lot of fat women.

wilt made the nba look like a video game, too bad he couldnt get it done in the finals, in another universe he probably has 13 chips, the dude avgd 50 and 25 for a season and missed like 8 mins that year, thats INSANE, wilts undoubtedly the greatest scorer ever, and yea the arguments will come up that he played against "lesser competition", but he still did what he did, i think if he played today hed still be the greatest center ever,

and remember on his laker years he didnt score as much but he still had a season where he had 70% fg's , and thats just showin u he can do it if he wants to.

shaq used his size to his advantage but dont let that fool u, he was a skilled post player, he was just a smart guy who played to his strengths and what he had an advantage in, im not taking anything away from kareem, hakeem and bill russell

Jinxy
07-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Had a great career, I always liked his personna off court in contrast to certain bitchy team members he's had. Especially Kobe.

CharlesJones
08-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm glad he finally retired. He was very good. I like watching his old highlights when he played for Orlando. He used to dunk on a lot of people and he broke some backboards. I remember when he brought down those backboards against Phoenix and New Jersey. I had never seen nothing like that. It'll be interesting to see him doing NBA broadcasting on TNT with Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith. Remember when him and Charles Barkley got into a fight when Charles played for Houston and Shaq was with the Lakers? Charles threw the ball at Shaq's head LOL.

Tito
09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
SHAQ IS THE MAN , that fool gave me good memories . L.a. is the shit ! he was dope. his dunks were cool . shaq was sick in game 7 of the 2000 western conference finals. that crossover by kobe on pippen then the lob to shaq , damn im getting goosebumps . sick . thanks shaq , L.a. loved u .